Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2014, 15:03   #1
BHPian

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

A childhood dream comes true!

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by vehicles bearing the 3 pointed star, right from the days when I used to be on my father's lap in the driver's seat, trying to steer a stationary car . For me, Mercedes has always stood as a symbol of quality, automobiles that push the bar in innovation, understated luxury, and tank like build.

Having said that, I am more in love with the Mercs of the pre-2000 era, when they were building faultless, over-engineered cars, that could run for longer than their owners would! I started my lookout a couple of years ago for a well maintained Merc from that period.

Last year, it all worked out. I bought my dream car from a fellow t-bhpian. I was so convinced that this was the car to buy, I didnt even take the pain to do a live inspection of the car (as it was in Delhi). Settled the deal and got the car transported to BLR. That's the story behind me becoming a proud owner of an amazing Merc!

So, which car?
It is a 1989 manufactured Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE 4-door Sedan. And its LHD!

Specs & Features
  • 4-door Sedan
  • 2.6 liter inline 6 cylinder gasoline engine - 170PS, 220NM
  • 4 speed Automatic gearbox
  • All 4 disc brakes
  • ABS, SRS safety
  • First car that Merc rolled out with the multi-link suspension - formed the basis for all their other cars from then on
  • Tyres are Goodyear 185/65 on 15" alloys
  • Had done 59K miles when I bought it
  • Beige + Black interiors
  • Fully electric seats including height, headrest adjustment, recline
  • Tilt and slide electric sunroof
  • Full HVAC with temperature control
  • Power external mirrors
  • Full leather seats (original from manufacturer)

What I Like
  • Seeing the 3 pointed star from the drivers seat
  • Silky smooth engine
  • Starts in 2nd gear always, unless its a really steep incline, or if I dump the gas pedal
  • Ride quality - 25 years old, still sets a good marker for cars getting rolled out today
  • Most features works even after all these years
  • Rock solid build, no squeaks, squeals, rattles
  • Rust-free bodyline

What I dont Like
  • The auto-transmission is lethargic. OK for relaxed driving, but would have definitely preferred a manual if I had a choice.

Work done on the car
  • When I got the car, there was a peculiar problem that the car wouldnt start when hot. I would need to wait for 5-6 hours for it to cool down. This really drove me to frustration and I tried various things, yet there was no change. Finally, I managed to dig up some very old mercedes forum notes and changed the fuel accumulator to a new one. Viola! It's perfect now
  • The dash plastic around the air vents, and a couple of air vents themselves were cracked/broken. Ordered this online and replaced them
  • Got exterior detailing done at 3M. Asked them to go a bit easy because of the age of the paint

Have enjoyed my time so far with the car. Done about 1000 miles since I took it over. Dream fulfilled. BTW, my other steed is a 2009 Fiat Linea MJD, which has been race-chip'ed (read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...race-chip.html).

Here are some recent pics of the Merc.
Attached Thumbnails
My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300419tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300417tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300427tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300428tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300421tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300432tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300431tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p3300430tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st March 2014 at 13:25. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post.
kdadi is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 15:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Congrats. @kdadi ! The car is so elegant. And looks so clean !

Guess this one is for keeps ! Hope you enjoy it for a long long time. Your running looks a little less ..

When you say the auto tranny is lethargic, how do you find it wrt to the Linea / other cars.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 15:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Congrats. @kdadi ! The car is so elegant. And looks so clean !

Guess this one is for keeps ! Hope you enjoy it for a long long time. Your running looks a little less ..

When you say the auto tranny is lethargic, how do you find it wrt to the Linea / other cars.
Thanks Condor. Definitely I wish to have it for as long as it would run reliably. Regarding the low running, there are a few factors
- I took a few months to sort out the hot start issue. So its literally been just 2-3 months since its ready for daily use
- I also waited a bit before taking it out regularly till I got the KA road tax paid up
- My day job doesnt require me to travel to office daily, and I try to balance the drives between my two steeds

There is a slight rubber-band effect to the auto-tranny. It definitely misses a 5th cog. The performance of the Linea MJD has been talked about quite a bit on the forums. And being a manual, we cannot compare it to the Merc's auto. But being race-chip'ed, my Linea goes pretty well I should say.
Old 30th March 2014, 15:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome man!! This is stuff of dreams. Had seen the car on classifieds and drooled over it. Congrats for this man. Do give a ride in this some time :-)

Question:
How do you find LHD in traffic and will RTO register it in Bangalore? Or you plan to just pay tax and keep delhi number.
Old 30th March 2014, 15:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
How do you find LHD in traffic and will RTO register it in Bangalore? Or you plan to just pay tax and keep delhi number.
Khan saab, since it is not a fresh import but only re-location within India, is that still a problem ?
(A fresh import of a LHD would not have been allowed, I guess)
Old 30th March 2014, 15:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Awesome man!! This is stuff of dreams. Had seen the car on classifieds and drooled over it. Congrats for this man. Do give a ride in this some time :-)

Question:
Thanks Khan sir. You are most welcome to have a ride in it. I am intent on getting it registered as a KA vehicle. I am missing the Delhi RTO NoC (have all other documents), and on the hunt for some agents there to help me with it.

I haven't had major problems with LHD in Bangalore atleast, though I can call myself a careful driver. Our mammoth speed (car) breakers are what need more attention. Anyway most folks in BLR try to overtake on the left, so LHD is better
kdadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 16:55   #7
BHPian

This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Absolutely beautiful! Congrats!
Do post a few more pictures!
Old 30th March 2014, 16:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an absolute beauty! All class and personality. No brand new car can match the elegance of this car.

I absolutely love old Mercs and I must say you are very lucky to have found such a beautiful piece!

Congrats and all the best!
Old 30th March 2014, 17:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Drool, I seriously dreamed about this car but someone told me about that particular problem. I salute your risk taking in going ahead.

There is only one other such car down in Kerala in red

Congrats and respect!
Old 30th March 2014, 17:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
This is the stuff that dreams are made of. Absolutely beautiful! Congrats!
Do post a few more pictures!
Thank you. Attached are a couple of bits from history. Look at the size difference between the S class and the 190 series back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This is an absolute beauty! All class and personality. No brand new car can match the elegance of this car.

I absolutely love old Mercs and I must say you are very lucky to have found such a beautiful piece!

Congrats and all the best!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Drool, I seriously dreamed about this car but someone told me about that particular problem. I salute your risk taking in going ahead.

There is only one other such car down in Kerala in red

Congrats and respect!
Thank you. Good to know there is a brother in India. Any specs? I tend to believe this is the ONLY one 190E with the 2.6 litre 6 cylinder engine in India. There aren't that many worldwide either. Other variants are with 1.8L four cylinder, or the 2.3L four cylinder, or the 2.5L four cylinder cosworth engines (the evolution models). Of course the more popular one on this body was the 190D diesel variant.
Attached Thumbnails
My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-1989mercedes190ad855x1024.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-mercw201124224modelline.jpg  

kdadi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 18:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Lovely buy! Looks very well maintained.

Please give us some more pics. Would love to see a pic from the driver' seat of the 3 pointed star.

And have a nice ownership!
Old 30th March 2014, 21:02   #12
BHPian

Congratulations, this is a wonderful car. Forgive my ignorance, can someone enlighten what the lower counter in the speedo with numbers 002 measure?
Old 30th March 2014, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. The car is very well maintained . The features were unheard that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Forgive my ignorance, can someone enlighten what the lower counter in the speedo with numbers 002 measure?
I guess its the trip meter.
Old 31st March 2014, 13:19   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Congrats! The 190 is timeless and yours seems to be in immaculate shape. Hard to believe that she's 25 years old. The Mercs of yesteryear were truly built to last.

Curious to know why you bought this over an Indian W124? E220s go cheap, are newer, bigger, RHD, cleaner paperwork (having been made here) and available with an MT. Plus, the W124 is also an 'oldschool' Mercedes.

Have fun with her. This one's a keeper.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 13:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post

Thank you. Good to know there is a brother in India. Any specs? I tend to believe this is the ONLY one 190E with the 2.6 litre 6 cylinder engine in India. There aren't that many worldwide either. Other variants are with 1.8L four cylinder, or the 2.3L four cylinder, or the 2.5L four cylinder cosworth engines (the evolution models). Of course the more popular one on this body was the 190D diesel variant.
Actually there are 3

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post1301745 (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India)

Owned by sunilgee

There was a ka05 one in Bangalore Turquoise coloured. I pondered and decided on a Skoda RS instead. Guess which would have been less troublesome.

I spotted one in OLX for sale in Delhi, the condition might have been questionable though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks