Team-BHP - Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/149476-review-my-maruti-suzuki-ertiga-zdi-update-sold-80k-kms-3.html)

Anurag

Congratulations. Ertiga is a great UV to own. Its light and easy. Checks all the boxes well. Easy to run and maintain.

I liked your review. Comprehensive. You followed up on all the places - inside, outside, underneath, engine and cabin comfort.

Here's wishing you many miles in your stead.

Cheers

Rajain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajain (Post 3406803)
Anurag

Congratulations. Ertiga is a great UV to own. Its light and easy. Checks all the boxes well. Easy to run and maintain.

I liked your review. Comprehensive. You followed up on all the places - inside, outside, underneath, engine and cabin comfort.

Here's wishing you many miles in your stead.

Cheers

Rajain

Thank you sir for the words of appreciation. I did read your review, Parag Sir's and RajShenoy's review's multiple times though I have tried to cover everything but not able reach your level!

The car is growing on me as I keep seeing it but I hardly drive it. Out of the 4.2K kms covered by it, I would have driven some 30-40 kms but loved every moment I drove it.

Anurag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3406966)
The car is growing on me as I keep seeing it but I hardly drive it. Out of the 4.2K kms covered by it, I would have driven some 30-40 kms but loved every moment I drove it.

Anurag.

Hey Anurag, its been almost year and a half and no updates on this thread, looks a bit weird to me. Your last post was as of 6th April 2014 and today is 6th Sep 2015, so one year and 5 months to be precise. Why the "lull" on this thread mate?

Hope your Dad is still enjoying the Ertiga and he must have clocked 25K kms or more by now. Please do share his/your experiences of owning and driving the Ertiga all this while. May be you can comment on below mentioned points:Looking forward to hear from you and get this thread updated further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3795907)
Hope your Dad is still enjoying the Ertiga and he must have clocked 25K kms or more by now.

Car is now bearing 31K. :)

Quote:

[*]What have been the service charges like?

No idea but on average they are between 5-7K except for the last service where the bill was 11K due to EGR and intercooler cleaning.

Quote:

[*]Any major/ minor issues till date?

Issues, yes:

1) Excessive some during acceleration - Got the EGR and Intercooler cleaned, problem solved.

2) Same vibration (Judder @ 2000rpm as I faced in my Swift) - Clutch release bearing found problematic. Changed under warranty. Clutch plates and flywheel healthy hence didn't need to be changed.

3) Poor acceleration (Low Turbo boost) - Tightened the plumbing. Back to normal.

Have been gifted 3 to 4 scratched thanks to bikers in it roads.

Rattling issues - None at all.

Quote:

[*]What are the overall FE figures? (worst and best mileage)

City - 14 - 15.2 kmpl
Highway - 17.5 to 18.6 kmpl.

All figures are with 100% AC and 2 occupants.

Quote:

[*]How the car performs when fully loaded?

Performs good for city speeds but highway is where it struggles 'if' one wants to go above 110 kmph.

Any speeds below 110 kmph and this car performs well but above it doesn't like it.

Hauls luggage and people who. Space is the best I have seen after Innova. No other car comes close to Ertiga and the only thing I hate of this car that makes me want to drive it less is the 90PS DDiS engine.

I am tired driving it. All I want to do is a transplant of DDiS 320 in it and I'll leave my Swift too. The car is excellent but for that engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3795952)
Car is now bearing 31K. :)

Thanks for responding back, that is some decent running

Quote:

No idea but on average they are between 5-7K except for the last service where the bill was 11K due to EGR and intercooler cleaning.
We have to live with the fact that Maruti service costs are no longer cheap

Quote:

Issues, yes:

1) Excessive some during acceleration - Got the EGR and Intercooler cleaned, problem solved.
I suppose you meant excessive smoke. So was the excessive smoke due to lesser air and unburnt fuel?

Quote:

2) Same vibration (Judder @ 2000rpm as I faced in my Swift) - Clutch release bearing found problematic. Changed under warranty. Clutch plates and flywheel healthy hence didn't need to be changed.
Was this a manufacturing defect in the release bearing. Is this quite common in DDis engines or a one off incident?

Quote:

3) Poor acceleration (Low Turbo boost) - Tightened the plumbing. Back to normal.
So I guess there must be some leakage of exhaust gases rotating the turbo.

Quote:

Rattling issues - None at all.
Good to know that especially when this is a common complain of most Ertiga owners (overhead AC rattling and seat rattling)

Quote:

City - 14 - 15.2 kmpl
Highway - 17.5 to 18.6 kmpl.

All figures are with 100% AC and 2 occupants.
Those are fair FE figures. I believe Hyderabad traffic might be taking a toll on FE.

Quote:

Performs good for city speeds but highway is where it struggles 'if' one wants to go above 110 kmph.

Any speeds below 110 kmph and this car performs well but above it doesn't like it.
Other than the GQ and expressways our roads are not safe either to drive at triple digit speeds. So even it pulls cleanly till 110 kmp, that should be more than sufficient.

Quote:

Hauls luggage and people who. Space is the best I have seen after Innova. No other car comes close to Ertiga
agree: Space management is the best in these compact external footprint

Quote:

and the only thing I hate of this car that makes me want to drive it less is the 90PS DDiS engine.

I am tired driving it. All I want to do is a transplant of DDiS 320 in it and I'll leave my Swift too. The car is excellent but for that engine.
I think that is the "enthusiast" in you talkinglol:. No doubt that the DDiS 320 is more suitable for the Ertiga than the DDiS 200. But I really doubt MSIL would ever launch the Ertiga DDiS 320, because of the compact bonnet of the Ertiga. If you just look at the S-Cross bonnet, you can immediately make out the longer size to accommodate the bigger engine and MSIL won't go that extra mile to change the Ertiga bonnet design to fit the larger engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3796014)
We have to live with the fact that Maruti service costs are no longer cheap

I was never one of them who ever felt they were cheap. All it depends on the customer and what he wants in the servicing to be done apart from what is mentioned in the maintenance schedule and it also depends on the rapport with the SA's in the ASC.

I was never forced for any extra stuff or pushed for parts replacement when they were near wearing stages.

Quote:

I suppose you meant excessive smoke. So was the excessive smoke due to lesser air and unburnt fuel?

Sorry, didn't notice the typo. I meant excessive smoke.

Quote:

Was this a manufacturing defect in the release bearing. Is this quite common in DDis engines or a one off incident?

It looks to be a one-off case as my Service manager was shocked to see that behaviour from the Ertiga and no one here on Team-BHP has reported.

Quote:

Good to know that especially when this is a common complain of most Ertiga owners (overhead AC rattling and seat rattling)

Touchwood!

Quote:

I think that is the "enthusiast" in you talking. No doubt that the DDiS 320 is more suitable for the Ertiga than the DDiS 200.

I agree!

The fault actually actually lies in me, as I am tired with the 1.3L MJD as I have been driving it since the Ritz VDi days and till the Ertiga so I am not form that the next car has to have a powerful engine. No fault in the Ertiga at all. I just need a change.

Quote:

But I really doubt MSIL would ever launch the Ertiga DDiS 320, because of the compact bonnet of the Ertiga.

I know that but we enthusiast never keep our minds quiet! We are greedy for power but in an efficient way.

A few pictures of the car:

Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20150906_191251.jpg

Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20150906_191320.jpg

Scratches gifted by a biker:
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20150906_191258.jpg

Odometer (This is the only picture I have after a family trip):
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20150906_191417.jpg

FE: That was after a trip of 280 kms with 6 people on-board and 100% A/C.

PS: Sorry for the night shots.

Hi Anurag,

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread with long term review!
I'm considering Ertiga Facelift (launching on oct 10th) as an upgrade from Alto k10 (2014 model). I consider myself an enthusiastic driver and Alto killed my enthusiasm after an incident. I was going in Bangalore - Mysore highway at around 110 - 120 km/h. The car was full with 4 adults and 3 kids and lots of luggage. I was taking a curve and then someone started overtaking me. At this point of time I struggled to keep the Alto in lane and panicked since car felt like going sideways! I just calmed down and slowed down the car. Since then I never pushed beyond 100 and just comfortably cruise at around 80 - 100 speed.

Hopefully better engine/handling in Ertiga should bring back my enthusiasm :-) Though I share your dream of having a DDiS 320.

Hi Anurag, as I can see you have moved from SX4 1.6 to Ertiga DDIS. Recently, I happen to drive 2008 SX4 Vxi (60K on odo) & 2014 Ertiga VDi (20K on odo) back to back for 500 kms. Myself being a Swift ZDi owner, here are my few observations from the drive:

SX4 1.6- I found this car more fun to drive than ertiga, engine pulls very eagerly till redline, as car was having bridgestone ER300 which provided superb control over hairpin bends and while cornering. Ground clearance was impressive, car felt quite comfortable over broken patches and potholes. SX4 felt more better insulated than Swift or Ertiga, may be due to thick window Glasses. On a flip side, though under thigh support is good but at same time I didn't like like front passenger seats back rest i.e I had backache after 1 hour of driving. At speeds above 100kmph, unlike swift there was vertical movement at rear on highway speeds. And as reported by you, fuel efficiency been 10 kmpl approx.

Ertiga VDi 1.3- Firstly, seats felt very comfortable after driving SX4. I was quite at home after getting into Ertiga, as it is similar to Swift, but I found steering bit tilted (MUV ish). 90ps DDIS have good city drivability than Swift 75ps, though Ertiga lacked turbo kick. Overall from a driver's perspective, Swift is relatively more fun to drive & to throw around corners.
Ertiga had stock MRF ZVTV, there was humming noise above 60 kmph which could be heard constantly at same level, irrespective of what speed car is doing, something similar which you have reported for ZLO's in your Swift thread. Overall fuel efficiency as per MID 18.3 kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3795952)
only thing I hate of this car that makes me want to drive it less is the 90PS DDiS engine.

I can very well relate this with myself, as I am driving same engine since last 6 years, but I still enjoy:
Swift LDI- 65K Kms (2009 to 2012),
Swift ZDI- 72K Kms (2012 to till date).

Last year my family was insisting for upgrade to Ciaz 1.3 or Ertiga or for that matter now Baleno. Though all above mentioned are excellent but from a diesel Swift owner's perspective, I won't call it a upgrade, as I am not gaining anything other than space, infact I will lose on well weighted steering & stiff suspension setup. Even I dont mind having DDIS 320 transplant or getting Figo 1.5 TDCi:D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch (Post 3858225)
Hi Anurag, as I can see you have moved from SX4 1.6 to Ertiga DDIS. Recently, I happen to drive 2008 SX4 Vxi (60K on odo) & 2014 Ertiga VDi (20K on odo) back to back for 500 kms. Myself being a Swift ZDi owner, here are my few observations from the drive

Thank you for sharing your opinions and I agree fully.

Any one who is used to the Swift, getting him happy in the SX4 DDiS or Ertiga DDiS would be difficult as the engine or drive doesn't give me a feel that I upgraded mechanicals. It is only the size of the body that has upgraded rest remaining same.

Quote:

Even I dont mind having DDIS 320 transplant or getting Figo 1.5 TDCi
I'll prefer the DDiS 320 anyday over the Figo's 1.5L engine.

UPDATE

Due to low running and dad liking the new Ertiga that was just launched, we decided to get the New Ertiga as a replacement. Since the usage will be on the lower side, Petrol engine was chosen and the main motto for purchase being city usage, AT variant, was picked. Here's the summary of the what we chose.

Make : Maruti Suzuki
Model : Ertiga
Variant : ZXi AT
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 14.11.2018
Color : White
Delivery Date : 21.12.2018
Dealer & City : Varun Motors, Begumpet (Hyderabad)
Freebies : None
OTR Price : ₹11,80,000 (Before Exchange)

The old Ertiga ZDi had clocked 80,000 kms before exchanging it with the new one. Was a great ownership from January 2014 till December 2018. Exchanged the car for ₹6,03,000 at True Value itself.

The only odometer image that I have
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20181207_134551.jpg

Got the delivery of the New gen Ertiga ZXi AT on the 21st December and have clocked around 400 kms (100% city).

At the temple!
Review: My Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi. Update - Sold at 80k Kms-img_20181221_192604.jpg

I know this thread was more or less a dead one as I never updated this as I used to update my Swift and Creta's ones. Apologies for that.

So that is it from my side on this chapter of the ownership.