Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 01:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
All the best with your new car and enjoy the nice combo of an auto box with a diesel engine.
Oops, looks like you got confused with all the TSI and TDI discussions going on here. GT TDI is only with a manual transmission.

OP- Never heard of such an experience with Vagtune till now. But I wonder why you took up the RCD 510 offer despite having been taken for a ride with the tuning box. I would've been furious to get anything less than what I paid for if I was cheated! Let alone buying anything from him.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th April 2014 at 01:46.
shashank.nk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 09:49   #17
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance

@Nakul:

Thanks a million for the update . Your experience at Vagtune is indeed horrible and when I read it along with your Marikkar experience, I feel sorry. Good that you decided to put it aside and moved on. It can be so mentally draining, when things go wrong with you beloved car. I had almost decided to plonk some decent money on an upgrade for my fabia at Vagtune. But hell no...your story popped up at most appropriate time for me.

Now that you have RCD 320 in your POLO GT TDI, I guess it serves you well and gives you good company on many a long drive.
jnpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance

Here are some pics of the car. I apologize for the average to really crap quality of the pics since this is all my budget smartphone can muster up.

First the full interior- All the touch points like the steering wheel, the shifter, the handbrake gets proper leather treatment.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-interior.jpg

Classy instrument clusters. In my opinion the best among all of the hatch backs. Only the Punto's and the Linea's uber cool retro dials run it close.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-cluster.jpg

Apparently you can dial in speed limits into the car and when you cross it you get an audible warning. I will be needing this a lot.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-speed-limit.jpg

The car comes with both front and rear fog lights. The controls for these are on the rotary headlight switch.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-rear-fog.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-rear-fog-1.jpg

The door handles, the surrounds for the a/c vents are all done in this beautiful aluminum type looking trim. Not sure if this is plastic or some kind of alloy, but thet greatly add to the premium feel.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-door-handle.jpg

The only gripe I have about the interior- the dummy buttons. Apparently the European cars come loaded with gizmos and all these buttons do get their own proper functions in them. Since this is an Indian car, its business as usual and we get the cheap scale version.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dummy-button.jpg

The two important things that in my opinion should come as standard in every hot hatch diesel or petrol, a nice stick shift

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-shifter.jpg

and three pedals, in this case finished in aluminum

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-pedals.jpg

I will upload more pics of the car along with my other rides.

I should point out that the update of this thread will most likely be at a geological time scale as my household has an average running of around 1000 kilometers and that too with two other cars. But if anything comes up I will be sure to notify it in here. Best wishes and happy motoring to all fellow Bhpians.
nakul0888 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 06:56   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition. No doubt, this is one of the best car available in our market. Wish you happy miles ahead.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 20:47   #20
BHPian

The car has completed 1200kms and is doing fine.

I am getting an average FE of around 19kmpl and a maximum of 22-23kmpl.

This is when its being driven gently. Heavy footed driving means this drops to around 16kmpl.

It is important to let the engine warm up after a cold start. 10-12 minutes of sedate driving is absolutely necessary to achieve these figures. When it is cold the engine drinks diesel like an elephant.

Nothing else to report as of now.

Here are some better pics of the car.

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0037.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0042.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0054.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0068.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0072.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance-dscn0074.jpg
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 12:12   #21
BHPian

A bit of a depressing time for me.

While reversing I ended up grazing the RHS tail lamp of my polo against a wall and it got cracked.

I have got a few questions.

a. How much will it cost me to get a replacement tail lamp from the dealer?

b. Can I get it as a single piece or do I have to get one as a pair?

c. Can I source genuine OEM Tail lamp from outside? What will it cost me?

d. Again, do I have to get it as a pair?

e. If I can source it from outside, how will I make sure that it is a genuine VW product? Is there a code or part number that I should look out for?

Any suggestions will be of great help guys.
Old 11th November 2014, 12:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
A bit of a depressing time for me.

While reversing I ended up grazing the RHS tail lamp of my polo against a wall and it got cracked.

I have got a few questions.

a. How much will it cost me to get a replacement tail lamp from the dealer?

b. Can I get it as a single piece or do I have to get one as a pair?

c. Can I source genuine OEM Tail lamp from outside? What will it cost me?

d. Again, do I have to get it as a pair?

e. If I can source it from outside, how will I make sure that it is a genuine VW product? Is there a code or part number that I should look out for?

Any suggestions will be of great help guys.
You should be able to get the RHS tail lamp cluster from the company's workshop. No need to order a pair(i did it on my i20.replaced LHS tail lmap cluster but the next day i got the RHS tail lamp cluster replaced as well as it looked faded(due to age) in comparision to the new LHS tail lamp cluster).

It is always advisable to stick to OEM parts as they adhere to the OEM's standards. Non-OEM parts, like the tail lamp cluster in your case, may fade earlier or may look slightly different( colour wise) than its OEM counterpart.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 13:13   #23
BHPian

Just called up my local dealer, Phoenix cars Pvt ltd.
They quoted a price of rs. 2500 plus labour.
Somewhat surprised as I was expecting somewhere near 5000 Rs being VW and all.
Seems like a good deal.
Old 11th November 2014, 13:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

I was expecting a similar figure (3k and thereabouts) for a single tail lamp. A headlamp assembly costs about 4k without the range control motor which is more expensive than the assembly itself (a member had uploaded an Excel sheet on the forum indicating the prices of various parts and IIRC it was priced at 8k!) and is imported. Besides, headlamps have a rubber butyl sealant used to seal the clear lens with the enclosure whereas for the tail light, the assembly is screwed to the lens using a plastic wing nut so less of labor work involved as a whole. The tail light and headlight assemblies are locally manufactured.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 14:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Just called up my local dealer, Phoenix cars Pvt ltd.
They quoted a price of rs. 2500 plus labour.
Somewhat surprised as I was expecting somewhere near 5000 Rs being VW and all.
Seems like a good deal.
I replied to your post in the service and maintenance thread.
Here in Pune its 1800 for left side and 2100 for right side. The labour will come to 150 INR.

Regards
Rejoy

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th November 2014 at 14:40. Reason: Same reason as other edited post.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 11:59   #26
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance. Edit: 1.5 years and 11000 kms up

The car has sailed through the 11000 km mark without any hiccups. It seems we have ended up using it quite more than we thought we would. When any thing comes up and when we need to charging our hands automatically reach for the keys of the polo. That's always the sign of a cracking car.

One minor issue though. The fuel filler cap seems to be playing up. It's happened twice during the ownership of the car and twice I ended up embarrassed and had to leave the pump. Definitely something is up with that thing.

Had a minor paint work done today at a nearby bosch workshop at kariyad. Although being quite nice looking and big, quality of work leaves much to be desired. Search for reasonably charging quality paint shops continues.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2015 at 12:21. Reason: Spacing, SMS lingo
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 13:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TDI - My second chance. Edit: 1.5 years and 11000 kms up

Quote:

The car has sailed through the 11000 km Mark without any hiccups. It seems we have ended up using it quite more than we thought we would. When any thing comes up and when we need to charging r hands automatically reach for the keys of the polo. That's always the sign of a cracking car.
Way to go nakul0888 and agree with every word you have posted

Though my running has reduced now as I have opted for WFH at least 2-3 days a week, I just start feeling ecstatic every time I get an opportunity to take it out for a spin.

I know that you have probably driven more than what was actually projected but at 11k in over a year, its still a lot of fun missing bro. Take her out and let these German thorough breads loose on the highway, where they belong!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed