Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 10:49   #331
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would suggest to get the car inspected at a FNG in your presence and based on the findings, decide your next course of action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Chances are high that this is a radiator leak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hopefully only a hose getting damaged or a connector getting loose. Let us know.
Thanks you all. Taking the car to the FNG tomorrow to check the root cause. Will update on the reason and next steps soon.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:04   #332
Senior - BHPian

Dieselgate fix is an option to the customer. You can very well deny it. I wouldn't recommend taking the car to an FNG as it might require a simple water pump replacement. If the part is available, it's a one day job and would be covered under extended warranty.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:19   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Dieselgate fix is an option to the customer. You can very well deny it. I wouldn't recommend taking the car to an FNG as it might require a simple water pump replacement. If the part is available, it's a one day job and would be covered under extended warranty.
Thanks Adi. You have a very valid point.

Dieselgate fix is optional and I can give it in writing not to implement it (I did that during the third service). But the way the workshop guys operate, even if I tell the SA not to do the fix and give it in writing, there is always a chance that the guy who is doing the service will get it hooked up to the system and somehow do the update. I guess someone had reported such an incident in the other thread on dieselgate recall. That is why I am a little paranoid

At the FNG (I know this place to do a very good job with German cars, and had the coilovers and brake discs fitted there for my GT), I am just planning to give it a look over to see if it is something very simple like a lose hose clip. Anything more than that, I will take it to the workshop
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:43   #334
Team-BHP Support

Took the car to the FNG today. They just opened the engine cover and the timing belt cover and told me it was a leaking water pump, and as I have extended warranty, to get it replaced at VW.

Took the car to VW workshop and the SA said it will be mostly a failed water pump, and if the timing belt had soaked up due to the leaking pump, they will change that as well, under extended warranty. I may have to bear the cost of the coolant and consumables if any.

The SA also said it will take a couple of days to finish the warranty process and the car will be available only on Monday or Tuesday.

On request, they also clearly added a line in the job card about not to do dieselgate software update, took my signature and marked it with a highlighting pen so that the service person will not miss it.

Guess things should work out fine. Fingers crossed!
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:06   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Took the car to the FNG today. They just opened the engine cover and the timing belt cover and told me it was a leaking water pump, and as I have extended warranty, to get it replaced at VW.

Took the car to VW workshop and the SA said it will be mostly a failed water pump, and if the timing belt had soaked up due to the leaking pump, they will change that as well, under extended warranty. I may have to bear the cost of the coolant and consumables if any
Had to change the water pump on my Superb due to a minor leak. However this was found when the car went in for timing belt replacement (at 60000 km). Costed me 5300 for the pump and a labour of 3000 for the coolant pump replacement + coolant fill. The ASS waived off the timing kit labour charges .

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_6587.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_6586.jpg
Part Number: 03L121011P

Your vehicle's water pump seems to have developed a major leak. Very likely that they will replace the timing kit.
csr9 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:11   #336
Team-BHP Support

Could not update the thread due to lot of work related travel.

Got the car back on Wednesday, the 26th July. The water pump and the timing belt were replaced under warranty. I had to pay 1.7K for the coolant as it was considered consumable and was not covered under warranty.

The SA had promised to deliver the car on Tuesday, the 25th July. However, due to some delay in getting warranty approval for the timing kit, it was delayed by another day.

Though there was a day's delay, I am extremely happy with the way the warranty claim was processed and the car was delivered.

PS: Post water pump change, I had a chance to take the car for a long drive to Mysore. I feel that the engine noise has increased a little, but this could be due to change of timing belt. I am a little apprehensive that the engine noise could be because they have made the notorious dieselgate software update in spite of me giving in writing that I don't want it. But the car was quite responsive during some stretches of spirited drive. Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:44   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
Why don't you time the car or check with Perfexpert dyno app?
Old 15th August 2017, 13:46   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Why don't you time the car or check with Perfexpert dyno app?
Yes. I could do PerfExpert. But with the lots of variables involved, and the way VW has only changed the torque delivery, I doubt if I would get a conclusive result
Old 15th August 2017, 13:48   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I could do PerfExpert. But with the lots of variables involved, and the way VW has only changed the torque delivery, I doubt if I would get a conclusive result
Yes, I agree. Anyways you could give it a try and compare it with your previous graph. The peak figures would be same but not the graph if diesel gate software update is done.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 14:05   #340
Team-BHP Support

I should also mention a scary experience. Last weekend, while driving to Mysore, in the forest road between Hassanur and Chamrajnagar, in one of the curves, I made a mistake in judgement and understeered the car a little. And exactly in that curve, there was absolutely no shoulder due to erosion in recent rains, and the left wheel went off the road. I braked and hard steered to the right and as the car climbed back on the road, and I had this feeling that I was going to loose control of the car. But not the Jetta. It had its own plans. I could feel the ABS kick in and the ESP take over. I could feel the front brakes getting applied selectively, and the car literally straightend up and stopped without breaking sweat. I then had to just apply throttle and the car was on its way as if nothing had happened. All this happened within a matter of 2 to 3 seconds, and during this time, I could see the terror in the face of a passenger on an Innova which was a little ahead coming on the opposite direction.

A very close friend who was on the passenger seat later commented that the situation could have escalated into a very serious event (read a crash and airbag deployment) in most other cars. He was just speechless how the Jetta got back into control. Though this car had me stranded twice (once during battery failure and other during water pump failure), it redeemed itself totally in this one incident. I am never going back to a car without these safety features again, reliability and peace of ownership be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, I agree. Anyways you could give it a try and compare it with your previous graph. The peak figures would be same but not the graph if diesel gate software update is done.
Sure. Let me do some tests using PerfExpert when I get some time.

Last edited by graaja : 15th August 2017 at 14:07.
graaja is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 00:36   #341
BHPian

Quote:
C.

PS: Post water pump change, I had a chance to take the car for a long drive to Mysore. I feel that the engine noise has increased a little, but this could be due to change of timing belt. I am a little apprehensive that the engine noise could be because they have made the notorious dieselgate software update in spite of me giving in writing that I don't want it. But the car was quite responsive during some stretches of spirited drive. Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
Hi, for VW diesel clatter, there is injector deviation service step that they need to do which can be done with VCDS. Especially if they did dieselgate fix. At least for 1.5

May be applicable for 2.0 too. Ask them if they can do an adaptation for injector minimum deviation quantity.
Courtesy : internet

Last edited by rageshgr : 17th August 2017 at 00:38.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 11:35   #342
BHPian

Quote:

Battery Change:

The battery gave up on 1st of January. I had gone with family to a friend's farm near Anaikatty, which is located a little away from regular roads. On the 1st of January, when we were about to return back the car would not start....

...got it replaced with Amaron Pro. Comes with a 60 month warranty (36 mnths replacement and 24 months pro-rated). Paid 8.4K including the exchange of the defective battery.

Hi Graaja,

My car's battery conked off yesterday, it showed the exact same symptoms and it happened all of a sudden. The car was started via jump start.

As per VW, I won't get warranty coverage on this as my primary warranty is over and extended warranty does not cover battery replacements.

My question pertains to your Amaron battery, why did you go for 74AH when your warranty replacement battery was 61AH and the stock battery was 60AH?

Thanks,
Maglev
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 12:01   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Graaja,

My car's battery conked off yesterday, it showed the exact same symptoms and it happened all of a sudden. The car was started via jump start.

As per VW, I won't get warranty coverage on this as my primary warranty is over and extended warranty does not cover battery replacements.

My question pertains to your Amaron battery, why did you go for 74AH when your warranty replacement battery was 61AH and the stock battery was 60AH?

Thanks,
Maglev
The 74AH battery that I got had 60 months warranty compared to the 48 months warranty on the 60AH battery. As I take the Jetta out only on long drives, and as it lies idle for weeks together, I wanted to get a bigger battery that could last longer and also would be covered by a longer warranty.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 00:56   #344
BANNED

Quote:
I am never going back to a car without these safety features again, reliability and peace of ownership be damned.
Agree on all fronts with this statement. ESP has saved my bacon more times than I can recall. So much so when it was time to get a replacement for the wagon r I bought the ameo dsg just for the power and ESP it offered.
We have to give it to VW/Skoda for having cars with these safety features in cheap car segment (They can be less stingy and give 6 airbags as well, but oh well).

Since the polo was my first car (and one which had ABS and ESP), I went on an empty road during the rains and did some sharp evasive maneuvers to get a feel of how ESP and ABS works. It is fascinating to feel how only one corner of the car is braking to keep you going where you want to. It made me much more confident in understanding the limitations of the car and how it will behave in an emergency situation.
In the >20L segment we have cars like the octy and crysta that give 8/7 airbags along with all sorts of Vehicle stability aids. It is a good time to be in the market for a safe car.
3 years down the line and ESP still kicks in, but now instead of being surprised I know it'll happen, pretty fun to see that yellow light blinking away to glory
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 18:28   #345
Team-BHP Support

Time to say Good Bye:

After almost 4 years of awesome ownership, it was time to say Good Bye to the Jetta. Except for a couple of battery failures and a water pump failure, the car ran absolutely trouble free, visiting the workshop only for the yearly service requirements.

I have replaced the Jetta with a BMW 330i GT M Sport. The "what car" decision can be found in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...t-m-sport.html

The ownership report of the BMW can be found in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

I had to hold on to the Jetta for about 15 days (when the Polo GT had to stand out in the sun) to find a buyer who would value how I had maintained the car and pay the right price. Finally a friend of friend offered the right price and took delivery of the Jetta.

A few parting pictures.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-front.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-side.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-three-quarter.jpg

With the replacement, after passing on the crown (read Thule Roof Rack).
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-bmw.jpg

The new owner driving the Jetta away. He already has a Laura 2.0TDi, that is maintained impeccably. I am sure he will take the same care of the Jetta as well. Wishing him many tens of thousands of miles of trouble free ownership.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-driven-away.jpg
graaja is online now   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks