Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 11:06   #106
BHPian

Re: Fuel Efficiency and Handling of the Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The total distance was around 215km, and for the onward trip got a overall FE of 18.6kmpl. The return trip was still better. Got an overall FE of 21.6kmpl on the return. While returning in the ghat section
You have managed to churn out some excellent figures there. Kudos to your driving style!. I'm still waiting for the 20's to pop up. I did notice on a light foot the fuel consumption falls between 14 to 19kmpl. But till date the average we managed to get is around 9kmpl.( Mostly city)

Quote:
If this relay is present in the Jetta, then this can be activated by VCDS. If you have seen this option present in the demo car, then most probably the hardware is present and VCDS mod should be possible. Looking forward to your update after checking with the workshop.
Met with a small accident yesterday.(bike) I guess my workshop visit will have to wait for now. The technician asked me to text him my VIN number so that he would check on what all features can be activated.
Old 4th May 2014, 14:21   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Efficiency and Handling of the Jetta

Quote:
Had a chance to drive the car from Coimbatore to Mysore and back. This was a great opportunity to test the fuel efficiency and handling of the car.

The total distance was around 215km, and for the onward trip got a overall FE of 18.6kmpl.

The return trip was still better. Got an overall FE of 21.6kmpl on the return.
Not surprised by those figures at all, I've seen many Jetta/Laura owners report similar numbers. The 2.0 TDI is a very well-rounded engine and economical to run too, which is an added bonus!

Surprised to hear you could activate Cruise Control at 20 KMPH! Never really used it myself, but it's good to hear that the minimum speed for it is lower than I first knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Had a bad incident in Cochin: In a heavily crowded street of Cochin, a carriage-auto brushed accross the RHS fender and the RHS EORVM of my "standing still" Jetta.
Sorry to hear about that Chethan, but we come upon fools anywhere and anytime on Indian roads. Hope your White Stallion is back in tip-top condition ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
You have managed to churn out some excellent figures there. Kudos to your driving style!. I'm still waiting for the 20's to pop up. I did notice on a light foot the fuel consumption falls between 14 to 19kmpl. But till date the average we managed to get is around 9kmpl.( Mostly city)
Graaja is (by his own admission) a very sedate driver, so don't wonder if and when your FE will pick up, because it will. You'll notice it as the KM's pile up. I've piled on 3500 KMS so far and I do see the mileage figures picking up. What began at 10.1 KMPL (measured tankful to tankful) now stands at 10.8 KMPL (again, tankful to tankful), so don't sweat the mileage figures and enjoy the car. You can't measure joy in KMPL anyways!

Quote:
Met with a small accident yesterday.(bike) I guess my workshop visit will have to wait for now. The technician asked me to text him my VIN number so that he would check on what all features can be activated.
Sorry to hear about your little scrape, but don't sweat it too much. These things happen. As a friend of mine says, "Boni ho gai"

Do let us know about any features that your tech guy says can be activated. I (we all) would be most curious to know about that.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 14:56   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Graaja. Very impressed by the fuel efficiency figures you are getting. From my experience, VAG engines are very sensitive to traffic conditions and driving style - push too hard, and fuel efficiency drops like a rock, but maintain steady speeds in the 80-100 range and you will get a lot. Best of luck and trust your car gives you reliable service.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 18:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
From my experience, VAG engines are very sensitive to traffic conditions and driving style - push too hard, and fuel efficiency drops like a rock, but maintain steady speeds in the 80-100 range and you will get a lot.
I have just come back to Bangalore from a 1600 Kms tour to Kerala and Tamilnadu. My Jetta has consumed 100 Ltrs for this trip (2 tank full of Diesel). Therefore, avg FE is 16 Kmpl for a mixed usage of 75:25 / Highway:City - with half the Highway distance covered on the winding roads of Kerala and with regular Kerala traffic. Added to this, I would say that I am a carefree driver (FE) and prone to multi-tasking most of the times.

I have never sensed FE droping down like a rock. In the worst case, Fe has dropped down to 10 Kmpl in very heavy B2B traffic. This is reasonable considering that a 2 Ltr engine needs to almost idle and do nothing. On an other day, I have seen FE dropping to 15 Kmpl on a Highway, when I was totally mercy-less.

What you say may be true for the 2.0 TDI engine tuned to higher power - OR - may be higher capacity engines. But 2.0 Tdi tuned for 140 ps / 320 Nm is very fuel efficient.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 18:59   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you say may be true for the 2.0 TDI engine tuned to higher power - OR - may be higher capacity engines. But 2.0 Tdi tuned for 140 ps / 320 Nm is very fuel efficient.
What Hayek trying to say is, if you drive pedal to metal mode your FE would drop to 13 kmpl mark whereas if you drive sedately at 80-90 Kmph mark I wont be surprised if 2.0 TDi delivers 20+ Kmpl.

In my Vento 1.6 TDi driving on highways at 80-90 Kmph delivers 18-19 Kmpl easily whereas if I drive at speeds of 140-160 Kmph which Vento does easily over a period of time, FE drops to 13 Kmpl.

VAG TDi engines are meant to be driven hard. A Jetta would effortlessly do 160-180 Kmph. Talking about efficiency in Jetta is a sin. These car meant for Autobahns.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 20:31   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very sorry to hear about the incident Amarendranath. Hope you are safe. That is more important than the VCDS hack!

Quote:
You have managed to churn out some excellent figures there. Kudos to your driving style!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Graaja is (by his own admission) a very sedate driver...
Thanks guys for the certificate Actually, I like to drive fast, but I have not come across any roads in India where it is safe to drive above 120kmph. We have some very good 4 lane roads, but these roads are riddled with dangers (at least the ones I have driven) - a bus driving on the opposite side, a villager crossing the road in a cycle, a car stopped in the fast lane asking for directions, to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Great review Graaja. Very impressed by the fuel efficiency figures you are getting. From my experience, VAG engines are very sensitive to traffic conditions and driving style - push too hard, and fuel efficiency drops like a rock, but maintain steady speeds in the 80-100 range and you will get a lot. Best of luck and trust your car gives you reliable service.
Thank you for the kind words and wishes, Hayek. You are right about the VAG engines sensitive to driving style. I did a small spin in sports mode, and the FE dropped to 12.5. But was it fun!! If only we had safe roads. Sigh!...

Quote:
I have just come back to Bangalore from a 1600 Kms tour to Kerala and Tamilnadu. My Jetta has consumed 100 Ltrs for this trip (2 tank full of Diesel). Therefore, avg FE is 16 Kmpl for a mixed usage of 75:25 / Highway:City - with half the Highway distance covered on the winding roads of Kerala and with regular Kerala traffic. Added to this, I would say that I am a carefree driver (FE) and prone to multi-tasking most of the times...
Wow, 1600km in the Jetta should have been total fun! I guess you would have experienced the performance of the Jetta in all types of roads. The winding roads in Kerala should have been real fun (provided there was no traffic) with the handling prowess of the Jetta. I usually time my drives through Kerala roads after 9PM when there is minimum or no traffic. It is fun unlimited!

Quote:
Had a bad incident in Cochin: In a heavily crowded street of Cochin, a carriage-auto brushed accross the RHS fender and the RHS EORVM of my "standing still" Jetta.
Very sorry to hear about the incident. Hope the damage was limited to paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
VAG TDi engines are meant to be driven hard. A Jetta would effortlessly do 160-180 Kmph. Talking about efficiency in Jetta is a sin. These car meant for Autobahns.
Absolutely right. Jetta is built to be driven fast. But the sad part is we do not have roads to match the power of the Jetta (and other German cars with powerful engines). The other day, when I was in Mysore, my friend told me the ring road around Mysore has very sparse or no traffic and I can test the Sports mode. True to his words, the road was empty and I engaged the sports mode. The acceleration was brutal and the car attained 3 digit speed in no time. Just when the speed hit 120, saw a speed breaker, yes a speed breaker about 100 meters ahead. So, instead of testing the limits of the engine, I happened to test the limits of the brakes The good thing is, they did not fail me!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 08:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this Chethan, nothing new has to be told about this country's "autowala's". Hope there was no major damage.

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your little scrape, but don't sweat it too much. These things happen. As a friend of mine says, "Boni ho gai"

Do let us know about any features that your tech guy says can be activated. I (we all) would be most curious to know about that.
Ahh. Shukar hai, Boni nahi huah. I was hit by an autowala on my bike and had to get a few stitches. And what you said is absolutely true! These things are unavoidable in city conditions. I shall remind him today to check on the features.

Quote:
Very sorry to hear about the incident Amarendranath. Hope you are safe. That is more important than the VCDS hack!
I'm fine graaja. Thank you. Just a few stitches. I shall rest for a while and then get on going with the VCD's
Old 5th May 2014, 17:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about that Chethan, but we come upon fools anywhere and anytime on Indian roads. Hope your White Stallion is back in tip-top condition ASAP.
Quote:

Very sorry to hear about the incident. Hope the damage was limited to paint!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this Chethan, nothing new has to be told about this country's "autowala's". Hope there was no major damage.
Thanks guys! For the concern!! It made my day!!!

Damage is not much (I suppose). It was a narrow road - GPS (MMI) to blame for getting me in to this trouble. Added to that, there were trucks and other vehicles parked (un-authorised) randomly, on either side.

Once I reached the middle of the lane, there was a complete jam and no vehicles could move. I stopped my car to the extreme left and closed EORVM, to allow the traffic to pass on the left.

There was very little space to the left and people had to make use of the footpath which was about 6 inches higher than the road. Vehicles started passing with two wheels on the road and 2 on the footpath. I just waited keeping my finger's crossed.

This culprit carriage-auto was heavily loaded, just when it was crossing my car it tilted more than usual due to difference in ground level!! That caused the damage!

EORVM Before wash:
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-1-rhs-eorvm-pre-wash.jpg

EORVM After wash:
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-2-rhs-eorvm-post-wash.jpg

Fender Before wash:
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-3-rhs-fender-pre-wash.jpg

Fender After wash:
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-4-rhs-fender-post-wash.jpg

I am not sure what to do next, but I am not for removing any body parts, to repair the damage. This damage would have been less visible on a Black color..

Any suggestions would help..
Old 5th May 2014, 20:10   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not sure what to do next, but I am not for removing any body parts, to repair the damage. This damage would have been less visible on a Black color..

Do not bother with going to VW and don't get the panel repainted.

Go to 3M store or your favourite detailer and get the area buffed using rubbing compound.

The small dent will remain. If that small dent is really bothering you head over to Trend on Hosur road and opt for paintless dent repair.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 00:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These mild scratches can be easily be removed by a rubbing compound. Since you are based in Bangalore, get in touch with Ultimate Detailerz or Keystone Enterprise.

Get following from them
1. Meguiars Ultimate Compound(UC)
2. A foam applicator
3. A microfiber

Apply Megs UC using applicator pad in circular motions and buff off using a microfiber. Those scratches would be history.

The above two entities would be more than happy to help.

3M would be expensive affair. I believe 3M is best left for sun films & under body coatings.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 08:54   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These mild scratches can be easily be removed by a rubbing compound. Since you are based in Bangalore, get in touch with Ultimate Detailerz or Keystone Enterprise.

3M would be expensive affair. I believe 3M is best left for sun films & under body coatings.
I realised it's better to just hop into 3M store than collect all these bottles and store them for years.

If you go for even a basic wash or wash and wax package 3M will gladly remove 1-2 small scratches using rubbing compound at no charge.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Do not bother with going to VW and don't get the panel repainted.
Thanks.

Will stick to it. Diamond-Bright final warranty coat is due. I will get it done this Saturday. That should take care except for the 2 deep ones on the fender and the dent.

Quote:
These mild scratches can be easily be removed by a rubbing compound.
Thanks.

Was a bit paranoid after the incident. Now I am back to normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I realised it's better to just hop into 3M store than collect all these bottles and store them for years.
I agree. I have many a times purchased bottles thinking that it is cheaper to use them that way. Finally, ended up throwing most of them almost unused, after storing them for ages.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:18   #118
BHPian

Superb review with superb pics, thanks for sharing. Not sure how I missed this thread .

@Chethan
Minor scratches are always part of a car, don't get disappointed. During a NH drive a small stone thrown from the tyre of vehicle in front hit my windshield and created a small mark and only way is to replace the entire windshield. Luckily it is a small mark and decided not to change it.

Last edited by B747 : 7th May 2014 at 21:28.
B747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 06:12   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Superb review with superb pics, thanks for sharing. Not sure how I missed this thread .
Thank you for the kind words, B747! My guess is that you missed this thread as you were busy enjoying your Octy
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:33   #120
BHPian

A shiny car and a shiny new car review.

Excellent stuff sir, wishing you many more miles of motoring bliss.

P.S

The photos have come out very well too.

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks