Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 11:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Finally bought the Jetta! Congratulations on the car.
Was afraid to see the grip that 1.8 petrol Octavia had on you even after I had sent that PM of my experiences to you but glad to see that you went ahead with the Jetta.

Cheers and happy mile munching
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 11:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Great Review and congratulations once more. The more I read about the Jetta, the more I am loving it. Hope someday I'll be able to buy a Jetta. :-)
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 11:57   #18
BHPian

This is quite an excellent review of a marvelous car from someone who said is not good at writing 😄. Again, all the very best. Please keep posting as and when you can. Enjoy the car and drive safe!
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:13   #19
BHPian

Congrats graaja!

The review came out pretty quick and 400km already, i guess you wanted to get it done with the write up so that you can enjoy the car. There is a pic in your thread , Head on view. The Jetta before without the Xenon's was never so impressive. After the update all of a sudden it looks so much better. Also those Alloy wheels they suit the car pretty good. I was skeptical when i heard that a face lift was due on Jetta and i would have badly missed them if VW planned to change the design. They really enhance the stance of the car.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 14:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent, crisp and wonderful review. Rating thread a well-deserved 5-stars!

The Jetta is a great choice in the D1 segment. I am specially glad to see you go for the top variant which has all the bells and whistles. The headlamps look smokin' hot, plus the interiors are top notch. The car looks fab in that particular shade as well, and is worth every penny you spent on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Also, per recommendation from iliketurtles, Chethan and akshay1234, I changed the stock Good Year NCT5’s to Michelin Primacy 3ST straight from the showroom. They took the stock tires for 4K each, and the Michelins cost 10K each. Hence I paid 24K for the new shoes. And I thank all these friends for this advice. The tires are very silent and there is absolutely no road noise. The car feels like gliding!
Great to hear this particular feedback. I have zeroed in on the same tyres for my Empress and I am really happy to hear good things about it.

Wishing you a memorable & long journey ahead with your steed, my friend. May it be full of smiles + miles!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th April 2014 at 14:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 14:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats graaja on your new car. You really weighed out all options before closing in on probably the right car for you. Still would like to ask you if the 1.8 TSI elegance was available off the shelf, would you still have gone for the Jetta or would have stuck with the Octavia 1.8 TSI? You did not even get to test drive the 1.8 TSI Octy, did you?

Too bad India is not getting enough kits of the Octavia due to high demand in Europe. The 1.8 TSI is really an amazing engine. While the power and torque is the talking point for this engine, the refinement, smoothness and overall efficiency is what makes it really special. The Jetta is the only other choice in the segment really if the Octy is not available and with the recent updates, esp the headlights, the Jetta is my pick over the Octy IF you are looking at diesels only .

Drive safe and wish you a happy and trouble free ownership experience. Do keep the thread updated.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Fantastic Review Graaja!!! Loved every bit of detailing mentioned by you. Guess what, I am in a similar dilemma as of today, what you were couple of months ago for deciding between the Octavia and the Jetta.

After driving both the cars back to back, I am yet not able to decide, what should I plonk my money on. Well, let me ask you, If both the cars were supposed to be available off the shelf, what would you pick, the Octavia or the Jetta?? And why

Do let me know your views!!
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Congrats! You picked up a very under rated car. Can I ask what did it cost OTR?
I didn't quite understand what did you start with - did you set out to buy a petrol or a diesel? Or it is irrelevant to you?

I also noticed that you didn't like the DSG in the Vento. is the DSG different in the Jetta?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 17:13   #24
BHPian

Congrats. Nicely written. That reminds me to learn how to upload pictures on team bhp. This is a great car with a good driveability in city and on highways. Take good care of your car and welcome to jetta family.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 17:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

@graaja many many congratulations! the colour is brilliant, I don't know when will they launch the Metal Grey (Octavia) similar to Platinum Grey. One of the characteristics of the Jetta that I don't appreciate, the dash. Its dated, and is the same old layout since the Jetta when it was launched in India in way back in 2005 or 2006 may be. The only welcomed change is the modern VW Automatic Dual Zone Climatronic AC unit. Even though it is not the final iteration the system, doing duty on the Octavia which has awesome integration with the HU.

Next, the seats. Although comfy, they are not pure leather. Yeah yeah even the Octavia doesn't have full leather seats, there is part genuine leather (places where there is passenger contact) and part 'leatherette' (places where there is no direct touch and feel) but anyone would expect them to give Full Genuine Leather seats irrespective of the model or make, with a price tag of over INR 20 lacs.

What I really like about it:
Small premium features like that killer shark fin antenna, Paddle shifts, LED bulbs for the license plate, Passat inspired LED DRL upfront, better finish on the alloys, all these make it that much better than any other car in the segment and engine-tranny combo. Wish the Jetta came with the 1.8 TSI but a DQ 250 instead of DQ 200 gearbox.

When I had the Laura, it would regularly return similar efficiency figures. On long stretched highway runs, it would return about 21-22 kmpl, which would reduce to 17 kmpl when you enter the city till you reach your destination. I remember going from Ahmedabad to New Delhi, in 12 hours flat, covering 950 kms, on a single tank of diesel Gosh I miss that car, sigh.

BUT!! I am quite happy with the Octavia now, crossed 10k kms in only 5 months, no hassles reported in the last approx. 8000 kms, and "OUTSTANDING" mileage.

I am sure you are loving each moment with the Jetta as I am with the Octavia. Enjoy trouble free motoring bliss!
P.s. German cars especially VAG cars are very good as masking speeds, do keep a sharp eye on the speedo or set the speed limit which will (ting) if you cross the set limit to remind you to slow down
Attached Thumbnails
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_7420.jpg  

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_4265.jpg  

adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 17:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Very well-written review of an excellent car, graaja! I confess I wasn't an early fan of the Jetta since the nearly 50% premium over the Vento seemed a little steep, but over time this car has really grown on one.

Beautiful shade as well. Many congratuations and do keep posting regular updates about your new baby.
Thank you very much for the wishes and kind word, noopster! I will definitely keep the thread updated with my experience. Hope you will join the Jetta club someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Congrats graaja for your latest acquisition. Beautifully detailed review as well!

I love the looks of the Jetta after the minor facelift. Looks far better than the competition. You chose a lovely colour as well. Get it detailed regularly and it will look smashing.

Keep posting updates regularly.
Thank you for the wishes and kind words, amansanc. I will definitely keep the thread updtaed with my experiences. Regarding detailing, that is the next topic to research! I will be back soon with more and more questions on tips on detailing and maintenance of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Congrats on getting the top end automatic, most people chicken out and settle for the mid variant. Is that first photo taken on the Palakkad route? Just asking as I studied in Cbe. How does that wood finish look in real life? Some people complain it's a bit too plasticky.
Thank you for the wishes, avira_tk! I usually prefer to go for a fully loaded model of a lower segment than the base model of the higher segment. AT being available only in the HighLine was another plus. The photos were taken near my house at the foothills of Marudamalai range of hills. The wood finish is definitely very glossy, but it is not very noticeably plasticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats graaja, slightly surprised you did put up an ownership review so soon, but it is a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Super to see that you complemented your review with tons of pictures. Like noopster, I too wasn't a fan of the Jetta until its most recent facelift, it just didn't make sense at that point. Congrats on owning one of the most well-rounded cars at its price point, may you have many miles filled with joy behind the wheel of your Jetta!
Thank you so much for your wishes friend! Once I had the chance to take all the photos during the weekend, it was quite easy putting together the ownership review. Also, the 280km trip to Valparai gave me enough experience on the ride and handling department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Congratulations. Fantastic car for the money.
Really nice write up...
Thank you very much for the wishes and kind words, Nicky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Finally bought the Jetta! Congratulations on the car. Was afraid to see the grip that 1.8 petrol Octavia had on you even after I had sent that PM of my experiences to you but glad to see that you went ahead with the Jetta. Cheers and happy mile munching
Thank you friend, for your kind wishes. The Octavia 1.8 indeed had an iron grip on my heart Actually, if there was even one other car that came even close to the 1.8TSi in terms of performance in petrols, I would definitely have gone for the alternate. But the Octavia has a monopoly in the petrols and I had absolutely no choice! The moment, I decided to go for diesel, then Jetta became the automatic choice over Octavia and here I am driving the Jetta. Maybe everything that happens is for good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Great Review and congratulations once more. The more I read about the Jetta, the more I am loving it. Hope someday I'll be able to buy a Jetta. :-)
Thank you very much for the wishes and kind words, Rajeevraj! I am sure you will get one soon and look forward to reading your ownership review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
This is quite an excellent review of a marvelous car from someone who said is not good at writing 😄. Again, all the very best. Please keep posting as and when you can. Enjoy the car and drive safe!
Thank you for your kind words and wishes, petrolveins. I am actually good in writing boringly detailed technical articles (I write a technical blog on micro-controllers in another site), just lack the skills to make it more engaging, humorous etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congrats graaja!

The review came out pretty quick and 400km already, i guess you wanted to get it done with the write up so that you can enjoy the car. There is a pic in your thread , Head on view. The Jetta before without the Xenon's was never so impressive. After the update all of a sudden it looks so much better...
Thank you for the wishes Amarendranath! You are absolutely right. I have been looking forward to writing this ownership thread for a long time, though for the Octavia. So, waiting was totally ruled out! And you are absolutely right about the head on view as well. As I have mentioned in the post, this is my favorite view as well. The Jetta looks simply superb with those BiXenon headlamps with the DRLs! Wishing you good luck with your car selection process too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Excellent, crisp and wonderful review. Rating thread a well-deserved 5-stars!

The Jetta is a great choice in the D1 segment. I am specially glad to see you go for the top variant which has all the bells and whistles. The headlamps look smokin' hot, plus the interiors are top notch. The car looks fab in that particular shade as well, and is worth every penny you spent on it.
Great to hear this particular feedback. I have zeroed in on the same tyres for my Empress and I am really happy to hear good things about it.

Wishing you a memorable & long journey ahead with your steed, my friend. May it be full of smiles + miles!
Thank you very much for your kind words, RavenAvi. I still remember, the first ownership thread I read in this forum was your thread on the Silver Pegasus. I have read the thread many times over and it was the main reason for me selecting the Honda city in the first place, and then Honda screwed it up with the CVT gear box. As the saying goes, "All's well that ends well", the problems I faced with the City and Octavia resulted in me ending up with the Jetta! Regarding the Michelins, I would say, just go for it. You will never regret the decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congrats graaja on your new car. You really weighed out all options before closing in on probably the right car for you. Still would like to ask you if the 1.8 TSI elegance was available off the shelf, would you still have gone for the Jetta or would have stuck with the Octavia 1.8 TSI? You did not even get to test drive the 1.8 TSI Octy, did you?
The Jetta is the only other choice in the segment really if the Octy is not available and with the recent updates, esp the headlights, the Jetta is my pick over the Octy IF you are looking at diesels only .

Drive safe and wish you a happy and trouble free ownership experience. Do keep the thread updated.
Thank you for the wishes, Santoshbhat. If I had got the 1.8TSi off the shelf, I would have definitely gone for it. I have always believed if it is petrol, it is the 1.8TSi, and if it diesel it is the Jetta. As I was not considering Jetta at all in the beginning, it was the Octavia all the way for me. Had Skoda not screwed up with the delivery schedule, I would definitely be enjoying the 1.8TSi.

Yes. I never got a chance to test drive the 1.8TSi. With all the great things being said about the 1.8TSi engine, there was no need for the test drive. I would still love to drive the 1.8TSi, at least to experience the adrenalin rush (maybe I should travel to Ahmedabad to drive adi_petrolhead's 1.8TSi). The amount of excitement the 2.0TDI + DSG6 gives me, I can only imagine how much excitement it would be with the 1.8TSi + DSG7. Sigh!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Fantastic Review Graaja!!! Loved every bit of detailing mentioned by you. Guess what, I am in a similar dilemma as of today, what you were couple of months ago for deciding between the Octavia and the Jetta.

After driving both the cars back to back, I am yet not able to decide, what should I plonk my money on. Well, let me ask you, If both the cars were supposed to be available off the shelf, what would you pick, the Octavia or the Jetta?? And why

Do let me know your views!!
Thank you very much for your wishes sawnilrules. To answer your question about Octavia vs. Jetta.

If the option is to choose between the Octavia 1.8TSi vs. Jetta 2.0TDI, then I would definitely choose the Octavia, as I am still a petrolhead by heart.

If the option is to choose between the Octavia 2.0TDI vs. Jetta 2.0TDI, the engine and gearbox combination being the same, then it again depends on what is important to you - comfort, ride and handling, or fresh look, gadgets and space. If comfort, ride and handling is important to you, then it is the Jetta. The choice is mainly due to the fact that Jetta has the multilink suspension that gives a fantastic ride comfort and at the same time great handling, whereas Octavia has the inferior torsion beam suspension. If fresh looks, gadgets and space are important then it has to be the Octavia, as the Octavia has the sunroof, AFS on the BiXenons, well managed boot space with the notchback opening, and a more advanced HU that integrates all the system settings as well. To me comfort, ride and handling is more important than the others, and that is why my choice would be Jetta.

Also, the above comparision is for the high end variant Elegance vs. High Line. If it comes to the mid variant, then Octavia looses its advantage of the sunroof and Xenons over the Jetta and it also looses on the safety front. The mid variant of Octavia has only two airbags, whereas Jetta has 6 airbags as standard on all the variants and still has the multi beam suspension. So, in the mid variant, the choice is very clear, the Jetta.

Hope this helps you to make your choice!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 18:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Well-structured review. Thanks for sharing!
After all the Octavia related survey you finally ended up with probably the best diesel sedan in its class. And great choice of colour. Infact I think your photos are not doing justice to the shining platinum grey shade

Drive safe!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 18:28   #28
BHPian

Great review and wonderful choice of cars. As the owner of a White Jetta, i feel a pang of jealousy every time i see the Platinum Grey one. Was my colour of choice but unfortunately the waiting period was too long for me.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 18:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. The car looks very good in that shade. I had seen your waiting period woes with Octavia in the other thread. There is no point in waiting for such a long period. Wish you many more happy and safe miles with the car. Meanwhile I liked the way you have replaced the faces with that of Alladin and Jasmine .
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 20:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations graaja on a fine acquisition. Though you have opted for slightly older tech compared to the Octavia due to the wait period, you will still get years of happy riding with this well built product.

Wishing you safe and enjoyable years ahead with your ride.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed