Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2014, 10:43   #61
BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
So much for just one comment!
Was just trying to be fair to the CVT owners, no offence meant! My apologies also to Chethan BG who has taken pains to reply to all my posts.
Rakkum13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 12:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
My apologies also to Chethan BG who has taken pains to reply to all my posts.
should read as My apologies also to graaja who has taken pains to reply to all my posts. Apologies graaja.
Old 13th April 2014, 10:19   #63
BHPian

Congratulations. Its an awesome car. Did you hear about a new version that is about to come sometime this year? Just that fleeting news is keeping me from booking this.
Old 13th April 2014, 17:53   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
should read as My apologies also to graaja who has taken pains to reply to all my posts. Apologies graaja.
Absolutely no apologies required I consider this as a very healthy and informative discussion on the comparison on the gearbox types. I had in fact mentioned that CVTs offer great comfort and fuel economy for in city drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Congratulations. Its an awesome car. Did you hear about a new version that is about to come sometime this year? Just that fleeting news is keeping me from booking this.
Thank you for the wishes kgkaran. My understanding from a post in this forum (do not remember which thread this belonged to, maybe the Auto Expo 2014 thread) is that VW does not have any plans in releasing any major updates till 2016. Also, after the 3 months wait for Octavia, and my 7 year old Getz starting to give problems, I was in no mood to wait for any updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidkapur30 View Post
Booked a Grey 2.0 DSG as well. Booked it last Friday and still waiting for it to be delivered...

Thanks graaja for this beautiful post and pics.

And 23.8L was quite a price, i got a pretty good deal in Delhi for almost 21L inclusive of all the discounts + 0 depreciation insurance (inclusive of the excise discount + exchange bonus) but not included in this cost is the 2 year extended warranty.
Thank you for the kind words and wishes, Sidkapur30! Congratulations on the booking of your Jetta. Hope to see some pictures of your car and your ownership experience soon. Wishing you many tens of thousands of safe, trouble free driving. And you got a great deal at 21L.

The price I paid is not 23.8L, it is 23.18L. Also, got a call from the dealer on Friday evening, that they are giving me a cashback of 51K. So, the effective price I paid is 22.67L, which includes the "Drive Assure Elite" policy which is 20K more than the zero dep policy. With zero dep, I would have paid 22.47L. This is still 1.47L more than what you paid.

I think generally, cars are expensive here in Tamilnadu compared to Delhi. There is a difference of about 35K in the ex-showroom price itself. Also the road tax is quite high here, I think it is 15%. Having said that, it is quite possible, had I pressed for more, I could have got a better deal as well.

I think it is too late for me to ponder on these things. It is time to enjoy the ride now
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 19:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Absolutely no apologies required
Quote:
It is time to enjoy the ride now
100% Without any doubt..

How was your trip to Kerala? I am planning a trip this month end (to attend a marriage at Ernakulam) . Something like a week's trip with family: Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ernakulam - Cochin - Coimbatore - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore.

Any idea about the road conditions? Sorry to be OT..

I am planning to get the first oil change service before that.
Old 13th April 2014, 19:46   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
How was your trip to Kerala? I am planning a trip this month end (to attend a marriage at Ernakulam) . Something like a week's trip with family: Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Ernakulam - Cochin - Coimbatore - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore.

Any idea about the road conditions? Sorry to be OT..

I am planning to get the first oil change service before that.
My trip to Kerala was fantastic. Had been to Kavassery to witness the Pooram festival. Lots of crowd, lots of music, elephant procession and lots and lots of fireworks! Man, I have never seen and heard so much of fireworks. Heard the budget for fireworks alone was north of 1 Crore!

When you are coming from Bangalore via Salem, about 35km before Palakkad, work is in progress for a 4 lane road. So, expect lots of diversions, getting caught behind slow moving trucks etc. The work in progress was there till Alathur about 25km from Palakkad, where I left the highway. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to cross this 60km stretch. Not sure about the condition of the roads after Alathur. But my guess is that the roads are good after this point.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 11:05   #67
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Kavassery, Kerala to witness the Pooram festival. The total trip was about 210km. Here are some experiences.

The suspension and ground clearance:
We were 5 people (light luggage though) traveling on some very rough roads - about 60km stretch that is under construction with lots of diversions and totally patched and irregular roads. Also, there is a 5km stretch of road running through some villages that has about 20+ speed breakers. The way the multi link suspension absorbs the roughness of the roads is just fantastic. In fact, I was going at about 60kmpb on the rough roads and the three passengers on the rear were blissfully sleeping! Maybe, I should once get the "chauffer driven experience" on the Jetta! The ground clearance is also fantastic. I did not scrap even a single speed breaker! In Kavassery, our host also joined on short trips to lunch and dinner, that made it 6 passengers - 4 in the rear. Even with 6 passengers, not a single underbody scrapping. Very satisfied with the suspension and ground clearance part.

Hill Hold Function:
Yes. This works. Got to experience the hill hold function in Kavassery. There is a road at an angle of about 45 degrees that perpendicularly merges with a 4 lane highway. Once I apply the brake on this slope and lift the leg off the brake pedal, the brake locks up (at this time, the brake pedal also locks up and it is not possible to press the brake anymore). Once ready to go, I just have to press the accelerator and the brake disengages and the car moves forward smoothly. Gone are the days where I have to do a combination of "hand brake-depress the clutch-rev the engine-release the brake and clutch simultaneously" sequence to move the car on such a steep slope!

I remember having read that the hill hold function keeps the car from rolling backwards for about two seconds after releasing the brakes. But I found that I was not able to depress the pedal after I took my legs off the brake (was experimenting with the hill hold function), and the brake did not release even after 2 seconds. The brakes released only when I depressed the accelerator.

AC:
I found the AC to be very effective in the 40+ sweltering heat at Kavassery. With 6 persons on board and with AC set to full auto mode at 19 degrees, the car was cooled very quickly in about 5 minutes. The blower was at full speed in the beginning and reduced to about 4 bars after 5 minutes.

Fuel Economy so far:
After this trip, this is the reading on my dashboard. Total distance 719km, average fuel consumption 12.8kmpl.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0039.jpg

I guess this is due to about 150km through 80 hairpin bends on the Valparai trip and 120km of very slow moving traffic on the Palghat road. Also, a few times, just to escape the heat, I used to get into the car and switch on the ignition and let the AC running. This also should have greatly messed up the FE.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 13:43   #68

Quote:
Wishing you many tens of thousands of safe, trouble free driving. And you got a great deal at 21L.

I think it is too late for me to ponder on these things. It is time to enjoy the ride now
Booked in on the 4th of April, just called up the SE today hoping to hear something on the lines of "IT'S READY!" but all i got was, sorry sir, the car has not left th plant yet, there was some miss communication it didnt leave last Monday either. Due to election they haven't been able to get the right paper work for the car to be dispatched. they say the car is loaded in the truck since sometime last week.

i guess it was a really good deal if i could only get the car. so yes, though it might be a little late for you to ponder on the price part, at least you're enjoying the ride.
Sidkapur30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 17:32   #69
BHPian

Hi Graaja,

I love Jetta and always wanted to own one but finally settled for a SUV due to some other constraints.

I drove Jetta 3-4 times for the TD and admired it's European build & interior quality along with safety features.

How about the service cost ?
Have you taken up any upfront package ?
Otherwise what are the typical servicing cost as I understand nothing is included as standard.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:30   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi How about the service cost ?
Have you taken up any upfront package ?
Otherwise what are the typical servicing cost as I understand nothing is included as standard.
There is no service package included. I am not very sure about the service costs. Should be around 15k a year, provided I am able to identify the essentials vs. the optionals that the dealers try to push on you
Old 14th April 2014, 20:44   #71
NKR
BHPian

Hi,

Happy and safe motoring..

NKR
NKR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 09:51   #72
Team-BHP Support

Update:
The dealer provided a cash discount of 51K on the OTR. Similar to iliketurtles' experience, this discount is not recorded on paper, but is a cash discount. I received a call a few days back from the dealer saying that there is 51K credit to my account

Instead of opting to cash out, I asked them to issue the extended warranty and cash out the remaining amount. Extended warranty costs 46K. So, I should be receiving a cheque for 5K soon!

Got the Extended Warranty papers through courier yesterday. Warranty valid for 4 years and 1,00,000km.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-scan0001.jpg

There are 4 pages that list the components covered and exclusions. I noticed the following to be missing from the list of components that are covered.
  • ABS Controller and ABS sensors
  • Mechatronics from the Automatic Gears section
  • Turbo
  • Electrical motors of the ORVM
  • Electronics of the BiXenons
  • HU

I think the first three items, the ABS controller and sensors, Mechatronix and Turbo are covered but are not listed in the warranty. But not sure about the last three items. Thoughts?

Also, noticed some interesting exclusion clauses.
  • Any damage that result form improper storage or transportation, or where the damage has been caused at the authorized dealer/service center.
  • Fraudulent act committed by the owner/dealer

So, even some mistakes made by the dealers result in warranty exclusion!

Also, noticed the engine number to be wrongly entered in the extended warranty. I have reported this to the dealer and they have acknowledged the mistake and promised to correct this and send the corrected papers in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
Hi, Happy and safe motoring..
NKR
Thank you very much for the wishes, NKR!
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:
Instead of opting to cash out, I asked them to issue the extended warranty and cash out the remaining amount. Extended warranty costs 46K. So, I should be receiving a cheque for 5K soon!

Got the Extended Warranty papers through courier yesterday. Warranty valid for 4 years and 1,00,000km.

There are 4 pages that list the components covered and exclusions. I noticed the following to be missing from the list of components that are covered.
  • ABS Controller and ABS sensors
  • Mechatronics from the Automatic Gears section
  • Turbo
  • Electrical motors of the ORVM
  • Electronics of the BiXenons
  • HU

I think the first three items, the ABS controller and sensors, Mechatronics and Turbo are covered but are not listed in the warranty. But not sure about the last three items. Thoughts?
Pls make sure that the above items are covered under EW program. The sole purpose of it is to get warranty on gearboxes and mechatronic units (DSG). A mechatronics unit replacement costs about Rs. 2 L alone. The cost of entire gearbox replacement (including mechatronic) is Rs. 6.5 L. The HU and ORVM motors though expensive, are not as expensive as the Bi-Xenon electronics. And mind you, if anything goes wrong with the headlight, they will simply tell you that they want to replace the whole part, they cannot open it up and repair/replace damaged parts. Atleast they refused to do so for my Laura which had dust particles inside, and I wanted them to be cleaned, instead he offered me to break the headlight with a hammer, and get it replaced under insurance. A new pair of Bi-Xenon headlamps will cost you between Rs. 75k and Rs. 1 L.

Quote:
Even some mistakes made by the dealers result in warranty exclusion!

Also, noticed the engine number to be wrongly entered in the extended warranty. I have reported this to the dealer and they have acknowledged the mistake and promised to correct this and send the corrected papers in a few days.
I also noticed the Engine number to be missing few characters, also in the VIN. Doesn't a typical VW group VIN consist of 16 characters? Correct me if I am wrong.

Why to let them keep empty spaces in the letter? Ask them to include your vehicle registration number (if you have already registered or at least got the number of your choice) and mention the exact number mentioned in the EW booklet you may have received. I think its always reassuring to have everything correct on paper, you never know what they might make us go through if we decide to get a claim under EW.
Cheers!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 12:27   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Pls make sure that the above items are covered under EW program...
I had a long phone conversation with the service manager. He clarified that all these items are covered by the EW. He told me anything that is not a wear and tear item or consumable (oil, filters, rubber parts, brake pads and discs etc), it is covered by the EW. The mechatronics though not listed is a part of the gearbox and is covered. Similarly ABS controller and sensors are electronics and will be covered. He told me that he has changed these parts under warranty to some customers and VW has honored the warranty. When I asked him if he can provide this clarification on email, he agreed to do so, and I have sent him an email. I now have confidence that all these parts will be covered by the EW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I also noticed the Engine number to be missing few characters, also in the VIN. Doesn't a typical VW group VIN consist of 16 characters? Correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers!
That is me. As I have seen other members blotting out any personal information, I blotted out part of the VIN number and engine number as well

They are all accurately mentioned in the paper except for the mistake in the engine number which they have promised they will correct.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is me. As I have seen other members blotting out any personal information, I blotted out part of the VIN number and engine number as well

They are all accurately mentioned in the paper except for the mistake in the engine number which they have promised they will correct.
Figured! On the other hand, there is a whole thread dedicated to VIN reports I am sure you know, everyone mentions the VIN and the report is also published there itself
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks