Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 07:14   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
A shiny car and a shiny new car review.

Excellent stuff sir, wishing you many more miles of motoring bliss.

P.S

The photos have come out very well too.

Regards,
BL
Thank you so much for the wishes and kind words
Old 6th June 2014, 18:40   #122
Team-BHP Support

Update on Extended Warranty

The extended warranty booklet did not mention many of the components that were present in the highline Jetta, and I sent out an email asking for clarifications. Following is my email.
Dear Mr. Gopal,

It was great talking to you on phone. Further to our telephone conversation, I need some clarifications on the Extended warranty program for my Jetta 2.0TDI HighLine DSG.

I went through the policy document for the items that are being covered and exclusions. The exclusions are very clear to me. Following are the items that I feel have been left out of the covered items. I would highly appreciate your clarification if these items are covered under the Extended Warranty as well.

1. Turbo (This should be listed in the Engine section)
2. Mechatronics in the DSG (This should be listed in the Gearbox section)
3. ABS sensors and ABS controllers (This should be part of the braking system). I understand the brake pads and discs are wear and tear items and hence not covered.
4. Headlight Assembly (excluding the bulbs)
5. The motorized control for the ORVM (I understand there is no cover if there is a physical damage to the assembly, or some breakage as the ORVMs are forced manually to close)
6. RC510 Music system

From our phone conversation I understand that except for wear and tear items, oils, rubber parts, all other mechanical and electronic components are covered by the extended warranty and VW does not mention every component explicitly in the Extended Warranty document as the list could become very long. Thanks in advance for all the clarifications.

Thanks and Warm Regards
After about a month of followup and a curt email, I managed to get the below response.
Greetings from Volkswagen Coimbatore.

Thank you very much for holding yourself with us till, I really sorry for the delay reply from my end.

Warranty or Extended Warranty are subjected to failure of components, under manufacturer recommended usage with proper maintenance of vehicle in authorized Volkswagen Service outlet.

Find our clarification on the Extended Warranty policy,

1. Turbo – Turbo charger is covered under the category as “EXHAUST MANIFOLD”
2.Mechatronics in the DSG – Its available in Auto Transmission under the category as “VALVE”
3.ABS sensors and ABS controllers – Covered under Extended Warranty
4.Headlight Assembly (excluding the bulbs) – (Not covered)
5.The motorized control for the ORVM (I understand there is no cover if there is a physical damage to the assembly, or some breakage as the ORVMs are forced manually to close) - Covered under Extended Warranty
6. RC510 Music system - Covered under Extended Warranty
7. The electronic control for the Bi-Xenons - Covered under Extended Warranty

Thanking you and assure you our best services always.

Warm Regards
It was surprising to me that the headlight assembly is not covered under extended warranty. The headlamp assembly has the motorized mechanism that performs automatic leveling and cornering of the BiXenons. Also, as mentioned in some of the other posts, the BiXenon ballasts are quite expensive. I have written back to VW asking why headlamp assembly is not covered under warranty. Maybe quite some time before I can expect any response!

Has any other Jetta owners (iliketurtles, amarendranath, Chethan) talked to the dealer about this?
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 18:50   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update on Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
4.Headlight Assembly (excluding the bulbs) – (Not covered)
7. The electronic control for the Bi-Xenons - Covered under Extended Warranty

Has any other Jetta owners (iliketurtles, amarendranath, Chethan) talked to the dealer about this?
Hi Graaja!

I do not have the Xenon's. So no head ache..

On a serious note: I think you have the answer. Headlight assembly is not covered (Glass enclosure) but the electronics for the beam is covered..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 20:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hiya!

I haven't had a chat with them about this myself, but I will be going in for the first free service at 7500 kms in about 2 months, maybe less. Let's see what they say about it. The way I see it, it should be covered although I'd love to be told otherwise with a proper reason.

Nothing one can really do about it though. Ek baar Delnaz ne bola, toh bola. It is what it is, let's just take that extended warranty and be happy
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 07:36   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
On a serious note: I think you have the answer. Headlight assembly is not covered (Glass enclosure) but the electronics for the beam is covered..
Hi Chethan, I think you are right there. By the reply I received for all the other questions I had asked, it does look like what they mean by headlight assembly is the glass, and all the electronics etc. should be covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Nothing one can really do about it though. Ek baar Delnaz ne bola, toh bola. It is what it is, let's just take that extended warranty and be happy
You are right there. Compared to Skoda, that has not yet released the extended warranty for the Octavia (they had promised March), I am happy that the Jetta is covered with the extended warranty. Also, by the response I got from VW and my dealer, I believe they are good with their extended warranty and commitment and I could trust them.
Old 7th June 2014, 10:04   #126
BHPian

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:

Find our clarification on the Extended Warranty policy,

Headlight Assembly (excluding the bulbs) – (Not covered)

I spoke to my Manager previously on this. In case of an accident, the obvious reply was nothing can be done. He said that the assembly will not be covered in the warranty but when I ask him what about any manufacturing defect in the headlight electronics like any function fails or bulbs get burnt etc then assured me they will be replaced after some inspection. It seems such a issues never occurred on the face lifted Jet's till date. So ya let's get the EW and hope for the best.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 12:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hiya!
Very true.

Let me share an-other incident: When I was discussing extended warranty with a very senior person in the dealership, I was told not to bother spending money on it!! It seems that there are very few failures in Jetta and Passat - Most of the time, parts like even clutch plates were replaced as a good will gesture!

Let us remember that these too cars are premium products of VW. Services extended also will be similar. Accident breakdown service is a major concern due to parts availability. But that does not any way come under extended warranty.

EW is just to help us have peace of mind and I doubt if anyone of us will be using it. But still, IMHO, EW is worth every penny spent, for whatever it covers.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:31   #128
BHPian

With these German cars (VW and Skoda), I personally feel its very very important to get the Extended Warrenty. I have the Laura DSG and in the 3rd year of ownership, I had the alternator and the fly wheel changed. Both were covered by the extended warranty I had taken. Had I not, it would have burnt a decent hole in my pocket.

Yes, the rate of failures are not high and mine may be an isolated incident, but its good to have the extended warranty for our own peace of mind with the VW group of cars.

Just my two cents!
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 15:46   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Most of the time, parts like even clutch plates were replaced as a good will gesture!
Yup, they replaced my Vento's clutch plate because it was pretty new at that time, let's hope they keep doin' it ().

I don't think you need extended warranty but it does give you a certain peace of mind AND a headache because the one with the most coverage is 55k and that is bonkers. It is upto you but I think you don't need it.
Keep revvin',
Regards,

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th June 2014 at 09:43. Reason: fixing the quota tags
Old 13th June 2014, 10:35   #130
Team-BHP Support

Friends,

So far, I have been sharing only good things about the car. There have been too many good things about the car, that the law of averages caught up with me very quick.

A couple of weeks back, during a weekend, I was on a tour to Thiruchendur. The weekend crowd was mad, and I got stuck in a very narrow lane with a bus coming on the opposite side. The space was too tight that I did not notice a small concrete platform on a light post. To squeeze out of the traffic deadlock, I had to go too close to the post and this platform shaved off the paint on the rear left door

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0157.jpg

The main area of damage is on the rear left door. But this has extended a bit to the front left door and also slightly on the rear wheel well. There are also numerous micro dents (not visible on photo) along the paint scrap.

It has been crazily busy at work the past two weeks that I have not yet taken the car to the workshop. I am planning to take it to the workshop tomorrow.

I just got a 50% NCB certificate for my old car (had to spend 1.5K to get this) which I am trying to apply to the Jetta insurance. Any insurance claim will result in a waste of this NCB.

Hopefully, a paint job will restore the original looks and it will cost less than 10K so that I do not have to claim insurance. Maybe that is wishful thinking!!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 10:43   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Hopefully, a paint job will restore the original looks and it will cost less than 10K so that I do not have to claim insurance. Maybe that is wishful thinking!!
Ouch! That truly sucks.

As far as painting at company workshops is concerned, i got a quote of INR 4500 from the Skoda dealer in Noida for fixing a similar dent on my left rear door. I am yet to get it done due to paucity of time but hopefully this should give you a fair idea of what to expect in terms of cost.

Dont worry, on our roads things like this are bound to happen. She would back to her gleaming self again.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 11:14   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got a 50% NCB certificate for my old car (had to spend 1.5K to get this) which I am trying to apply to the Jetta insurance. Any insurance claim will result in a waste of this NCB.

Sorry to hear this.

Jetta's Insurance is expensive. 50% NCB is really worth it. Try not to loose it, even if you need to live with that scratch.

IMO, before taking a decision, get a buffing done and then estimate the amount of damage.

All the best..
Old 13th June 2014, 13:02   #133
Senior - BHPian

Damn, that sucks man.

My advice; don't go and waste your NCB.

Couple of days back, driving back home at 1:30 in the morning, I was merrily motoring along and saw a Honda City stationary up ahead, chatting with a rickshwala or the guys in the rickshaw. No matter, I flicked the indicator and decided to go around it since it was hogging the right and I had to take a right. I don't know what went through that fools mind, but he moved his City forward just as I was turning around him and I know have a lovely kiss of white on the rear bumper and a part of the three-quarter panel too

I have no intention of taking it to VW for repainting. I might well get it done tomorrow though from this place since the quality of his work seems good and more importantly, very quick. I'll have to take a look at his work in person before I do that though, since I have no idea how representative the pics are of his work.

Long story short, find someone trustworthy to do the job or live with it, don't waste your insurance on this. It's not worth it, although mildly tempting.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:13   #134
BHPian

Ok so see below what happened to my C last week thanks to a over zealous biker. A light rubbing and some Polish was enough to take care of it. Do try it first.

Rohan

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402645399.628153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 13:14   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Long story short, find someone trustworthy to do the job or live with it, don't waste your insurance on this. It's not worth it, although mildly tempting.
Graaja needs to get the door painted but you shouldn't bother with going to a local paint shop. Get the panel buffed, either yourself or at a 3M outlet and it will be as good as new. This is provided the paint has not peeled off.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed