Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 13:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Graaja needs to get the door painted but you shouldn't bother with going to a local paint shop. Get the panel buffed, either yourself or at a 3M outlet and it will be as good as new. This is provided the paint has not peeled off.
Sadly, the paint has peeled off Vid. I'll put up a pic later, but from my own understanding it will need to be painted and there's no way I can avoid that. I'm lucky in that there are no dents or what-not.

How I wish I could have gotten away with just buffing it!
Old 13th June 2014, 13:47   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Sadly, the paint has peeled off Vid. I'll put up a pic later, but from my own understanding it will need to be painted and there's no way I can avoid that. I'm lucky in that there are no dents or what-not.

In which case don't go to your local person, get it done at a reputed paintshop if not VW. These cars use a ceramic clear coat, which I doubt the local chap would have.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:10   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Ouch! That truly sucks.
Dont worry, on our roads things like this are bound to happen. She would back to her gleaming self again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Jetta's Insurance is expensive. 50% NCB is really worth it. Try not to loose it, even if you need to live with that scratch.

IMO, before taking a decision, get a buffing done and then estimate the amount of damage.

All the best..
Quote:
Damn, that sucks man.

My advice; don't go and waste your NCB.

Long story short, find someone trustworthy to do the job or live with it, don't waste your insurance on this. It's not worth it, although mildly tempting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Graaja needs to get the door painted but you shouldn't bother with going to a local paint shop. Get the panel buffed, either yourself or at a 3M outlet and it will be as good as new. This is provided the paint has not peeled off.
Friends, thank you all for your concern and suggestions. I took the car to the VW workshop. They said it would require painting for the complete rear door and touch up on the other two spots. They are quoting 8K for this and it would take two days in the workshop. So, I will just pay the amount and not lose the NCB. Hope the VW workshop guys do a good job with the painting and restore the car to the original look. I will update with photos once the painting job is done.

Quote:
Couple of days back, driving back home at 1:30 in the morning, I was merrily motoring along and saw a Honda City stationary up ahead, chatting with a rickshwala or the guys in the rickshaw. No matter, I flicked the indicator and decided to go around it since it was hogging the right and I had to take a right. I don't know what went through that fools mind, but he moved his City forward just as I was turning around him and I know have a lovely kiss of white on the rear bumper and a part of the three-quarter panel too

I have no intention of taking it to VW for repainting. I might well get it done tomorrow though from this place since the quality of his work seems good and more importantly, very quick. I'll have to take a look at his work in person before I do that though, since I have no idea how representative the pics are of his work.
Tough luck mate! As Rohan mentioned, I think we should be prepared for such incidences on our roads. Wishing you good luck in getting the car restored back to the original glory
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
They said it would require painting for the complete rear door and touch up on the other two spots. They are quoting 8K for this and it would take two days in the workshop.
Ok so the amount is as expected which means that the VW group all across has the same policies in place and this doesnt differ from dealer to dealer.

All the best for the work mate.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 01:47   #140
BHPian

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

I missed your post Graaja. That must have hurt. Learnt a lot that nothing can be done to avoid such situations in today's world. I advice you to pay the amount instead of the NCB. 8k for the rear door?? the front door re painting quoted was around 4k( denting + repainting ) so I wonder what for they have quoted the other 4k. Also please make sure they don't mess up the reflections, on our Jetta they did mess it up and had to blast their brains out ( while removing that small dent ) to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Ok so see below what happened to my C last week thanks to a over zealous biker. A light rubbing and some Polish was enough to take care of it. Do try it first.
Rohan good that it worked for you else would have costed a bomb. Also in your pic i don't see a dent ( sorry if there was a dent ) so polishing did the trick. Sadly in graaja's case the metal took the hit at multiple places so i don't think rubbing may work.

Quote:

I don't accept this, all of our Jetta's taking a hit one after the other. Owing a bigger car shouldn't be a curse! Good luck mate. Hope your car is restored as well. Even if you don't get it repainted, base coat being black the peel off may not be evident unless closely observed. polishing will removed the white layer residue.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 15th June 2014 at 02:08.
Amarendranath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 13:59   #141
Team-BHP Support

Thank you friends for all the wishes and moral support!

Due to severe work load, could not get the paint job done for many weeks. At last managed to drop the car at the dealer's workshop this Monday afternoon. They promised to deliver the car by Wednesday evening 4:00PM. True to their words, I got a call from the workshop at 2:00PM on Wednesday that the car was ready. Below is the end result.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-before-after.jpg

To my layman's eyes, I don't see any evidence that the door has been painted. Even the touch up on the small spots on the front door and the wheel well is seamless.

Total dent on pocket to fix the dent Rs.8.6K, 8K for the paint job and 600 for the water wash (I feel Rs.600 to be a bit high for water wash, but maybe this is the norm for a D segment car).

So far, my experience with the dealer has been fantastic. Hope they continue with this support. Fingers crossed.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 19:22   #142
BHPian

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Good to see your car back in original state!
What they have charged for both denting and water wash seem to be little expensive. I wonder if it's the same at all the VW dealerships. Also state to state I notice this price difference. Do post more pics buddy been long since we have seen that beautiful color.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 5th July 2014 at 19:24.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 07:40   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Good to see your car back in original state!

Do post more pics buddy been long since we have seen that beautiful color.
Thanks Amar. I am also greatly relieved to see the car back with the original looks. It's time for a cleaning and waxing session and I will post some pics after that.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:56   #144
Team-BHP Support

Jetta 2.0TDI DSG - Driving Style and Economy

Drove from Coimbatore to Madurai and back this week end. Decided to do some extensive tests on the driving style and mileage.

Left Coimbatore early in the morning at 5:30. Till Dharapuram, followed a super sedate drive style maintaining the speed between 80-100kmph, most of the time cruising at 90kmph. This is what I got over the 94km distance to Dharapuram.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-mileage1.jpg

I must say, while this is the most comfortable driving style with absolutely no tension, this was a bit boring too. After Dharapuram, for about 60+ km till joining the 4 lane road at Dindugul, there was some heavy traffic. This made cruise impossible and there was frequent braking and acceleration to overtake slow moving vehicles. This brought down the mileage from 25kmpl to about 23.5kmpl. After entering the highway, did some spirited driving in sports mode. Again due to lots of trucks, there were braking and acceleration involved. Maintained speeds of 110 to 120kmph with occasional bursts above. In the end after reaching Madurai, this is what I got.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-mileage2.jpg

So, on the return journey, I decided to find out the mileage specifically for different driving styles. Did this by resetting the display for each type of driving.

D mode at speeds of 80 to 100kmph with very smooth acceleration, avoid last moment braking etc: 24kmpl+
D mode at speeds of 100 to 120 with high acceleration and braking: 19.5kmpl
S mode at speeds of 100 to 120kmph with lots of acceleration and braking: 16.5kmpl

Conclusion:
The 2.0TDI + DSG6 combination delivers to any driving style. Just pick one depending on the mood and enjoy the ride! Can't imagine what the improvement would be with a 177bhp/380Nm tune.

Disclaimer: Though I drove fast, I drove safe. Always followed the basic high way rules like never tailgate another overtaking vehicle, never perform an unsafe overtake maneuver, let the vehicles in front of you overtake slow moving vehicles and wait for your turn etc.

A lesson I learnt:
Whatever top speed you can do, the final average speed is decided by the slow moving vehicles on the road. When I was driving sedately, I saw cars that passed me like lightning bolts, but after 15 minutes I used to be behind them trailing a truck or a bus. Same on the return when I was driving in sports mode, how much ever acceleration I had and how much ever top speed I could do, the slow moving vehicles eventually caught up with me. So, a car with a higher power does not guarantee reaching the destination early. Of course this does not apply to those occasional morons I came across who would do stupid things like overtaking you when you are overtaking a vehicle, overtake 5 vehicles in one go not caring about what is coming the other way etc.

A few pictures taken during a tea break.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0223.jpg
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0224.jpg
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0227.jpg

Note to Mods: I am not sure if it is allowed to mention speeds of 120. Please edit if not appropriate

Last edited by graaja : 8th July 2014 at 11:20.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 13:13   #145
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Friends and fellow Jetta owners,

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-img_4432.jpg

Oil change coming up in 500km. I will call the workshop and get an appointment for sometime next week. Apart from the oil change, what other part changes should I expect? How much would the approximate hole on the wallet going to be? Is there anything else I should be aware of, like some unnecessary job that the workshop may push which I should refuse?

Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:17   #146
Senior - BHPian

You only need to do the oil change graaja, the total bill came to Rs. 9xx when I took it in. You don't need to pay for anything or feet anything else done. Don't forget to take the remaining oil back from them, there's no way they'll use all the oil they bill you for. I was handed a bottle of the excess oil back once the car was done.

An internal wash was complimentary, I passed up on an external wash (which was billable) and they didn't try to push anything else. So...wonly oil. Wokay?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 14:08   #147
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Friends and fellow Jetta owners,

Attachment 1280040

Oil change coming up in 500km. I will call the workshop and get an appointment for sometime next week. Apart from the oil change, what other part changes should I expect? How much would the approximate hole on the wallet going to be? Is there anything else I should be aware of, like some unnecessary job that the workshop may push which I should refuse?

Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice.
GRaaja

are you sure that oil change is at 7500kms??? My Jetta is showing it has 15000kms.

Mine has run 7460 kms and it shows as oil change pending at 7600 kms more.....

request you to just see if this info is right.

regards
Deepak
Old 29th August 2014, 14:14   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
GRaaja

are you sure that oil change is at 7500kms??? My Jetta is showing it has 15000kms.

regards
Deepak
Same is the case for Octavia, oil change is at 15k and not 7.5k.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 14:19   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So...wonly oil. Wokay?
Wokay buddy! I will make sure they change wonly the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post

GRaaja

regards
Deepak
Hi Deepak,

Yes. I am sure the Jetta has a first oil change at 7.5k or 6 months, whichever is early followed by a full service at 15k and thereafter every 15k or one year. I would suggest you call VW service and confirm this and get the oil change done. Maybe they did not program the service interval correctly in your car.

Last edited by graaja : 29th August 2014 at 14:23.
Old 29th August 2014, 14:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, the manual says 15k for an oil change and servicing, but the MFD says an oil change and checkup is due at 7.5 kms. If you ask me, an oil change wasn't needed, but I'd rather get it done anyways. Treat your car well, it'll treat you well and all that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks