Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 15:18   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Same is the case for Octavia, oil change is at 15k and not 7.5k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Indeed, the manual says 15k for an oil change and servicing, but the MFD says an oil change and checkup is due at 7.5 kms. If you ask me, an oil change wasn't needed, but I'd rather get it done anyways. Treat your car well, it'll treat you well and all that.
I checked the Service Schedule booklet. Page number 2 has this service schedule.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0312.jpg

The vehicle data is pasted on the inside of the front cover and per this data, Jetta is type QI4.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-vehicle-info.jpg

So, the first inspection and oil change is supposed to be at 15,000km or 1 year. But the service interval display shows 7.5K. Also there is a stamp on Page-1 of the Service Schedule booklet which is totally illegible, but I can see the number 7500, and the words "free inspection".

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0313.jpg

Maybe they have changed the first inspection and oil change to 7500 km, but have not updated the service schedule booklet. But then Deepak has his service interval display on the MID showing 15,000 km. Very interesting!!

All said, I am going to follow iliketurtles and treat the car well so that it treats me well
Old 29th August 2014, 15:22   #152
BHPian

AFAIK synthetic oil is the reason why oil change is at 15K Kms. If synthetic oil is not used, it is naturally half the running kms which is 7.5K Kms. But I think they use only synthetic oils these days and that is why the service manual says 15K Kms.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 18:42   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
AFAIK synthetic oil is the reason why oil change is at 15K Kms. If synthetic oil is not used, it is naturally half the running kms which is 7.5K Kms. But I think they use only synthetic oils these days and that is why the service manual says 15K Kms.
Thanks for that pointer. I will check with the VW guys what oil they use in Jetta - synthetic or mineral, and also get some clarifications on the discrepancy between the information in the service schedule book and the MID display.
Old 31st August 2014, 05:22   #154
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday, the car gave me a scare. I had taken out the car for a short trip to pick up my aunt from a nearby bus station, which was about 3km from home. When I stopped the car at the bus station, my aunt told me that there was too much smoke coming out of the exhaust. I got down to check. The exhaust was spewing huge amount of grey smoke. I have never seen so much smoke out of the exhaust. I turned off the engine and started it again and the smoke stopped. After this incident, I have not noticed any smoke.

What could be the reason for this smoke? Is this some automatic cleaning operation or something that happens at some intervals? I have not observed any performance issues with the engine.
Old 31st August 2014, 09:28   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
What could be the reason for this smoke? Is this some automatic cleaning operation or something that happens at some intervals? I have not observed any performance issues with the engine.
The grey smoke is usually a sign of unburnt excess fuel. Did you by any chance rev the engine a bit and let go of the throttle when the grey smoke was noticed?

I think you should take it to the dealer and have them check for error codes.
Old 31st August 2014, 10:12   #156
Team-BHP Support

Since you just got the oil topped up, I would suggest you check with them if there was a chance of filling more oil. If you fill more oil in a turbo car, it's possible it is burning off oil since the oil goes to the turbo.

Secondly it could just be the diesel quality when you filled up.
Old 31st August 2014, 13:34   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
The grey smoke is usually a sign of unburnt excess fuel. Did you by any chance rev the engine a bit and let go of the throttle when the grey smoke was noticed?

I think you should take it to the dealer and have them check for error codes.
No. I did not rev the engine at the time I observed the smoke. I just did a normal smooth stop. After this one incident, I have not observed this problem. However, I will mention this to the workshop people during the oil top up and ask them to check if there is any error code. Meanwhile, will keep my eyes open to see if the problem recurs and try to take a photo or video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Since you just got the oil topped up, I would suggest you check with them if there was a chance of filling more oil. If you fill more oil in a turbo car, it's possible it is burning off oil since the oil goes to the turbo.

Secondly it could just be the diesel quality when you filled up.
Hi Vid, I have not yet topped the oil. Planning to do this only next week. I fill diesel in the same IOC outlet that I have been using for more than 5 years. So, I am confident about the diesel quality. As etrast75 has mentioned, I will get the error codes checked during the oil top up next week.
Old 31st August 2014, 19:21   #158
VFM

Do check the coolant level. The problem may be due to EGR malfunction. Though I would think that this possibility is remote because of the car being so new.
VFM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 13:41   #159
BHPian

15,000 kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier) is the first service for the Jetta where the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter are replaced. 7,500 kms is just a 'Free Inspection' where they just lift the hood, check the instrument cluster for any errors and other general stuff and is more of an eye wash
Old 1st September 2014, 13:55   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You only need to do the oil change graaja, the total bill came to Rs. 9xx when I took it in.
It's an oil top-up (if need be) Karan, not the oil change. Oil change at 15000 km/1 year scheduled service amounts to Rs. 5k and thereabouts.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Correctamundo Ganesh. My bad, I slipped up in my description.
Old 1st September 2014, 17:34   #162
BHPian

Quote:
When I stopped the car at the bus station, my aunt told me that there was too much smoke coming out of the exhaust. I got down to check. The exhaust was spewing huge amount of grey smoke. I have never seen so much smoke out of the exhaust.
Can this be because of the fuel? At times any adulterants in the fuel can cause the smoke i guess.
Old 1st September 2014, 17:39   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFM View Post
Do check the coolant level. The problem may be due to EGR malfunction. Though I would think that this possibility is remote because of the car being so new.
Thanks VFM. I will get the coolant level checked as well during the 7500km inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
15,000 kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier) is the first service for the Jetta where the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter are replaced. 7,500 kms is just a 'Free Inspection' where they just lift the hood, check the instrument cluster for any errors and other general stuff and is more of an eye wash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It's an oil top-up (if need be) Karan, not the oil change. Oil change at 15000 km/1 year scheduled service amounts to Rs. 5k and thereabouts.
Thanks Freewheelin_KD and Gannu_1 for the clarifications.

Quote:
Correctamundo Ganesh. My bad, I slipped up in my description.
No problem Karan. Actually, I was about to ask you if this was a top up or change as you had mentioned Rs.900+. Now that issue is cleared as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Can this be because of the fuel? At times any adulterants in the fuel can cause the smoke i guess.
Hi Amar, I doubt if this is adulterted fuel. I have been using this IOC outlet for more than 5 years and have not had any issues.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:04   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Yesterday, the car gave me a scare. I had taken out the car for a short trip to pick up my aunt from a nearby bus station, which was about 3km from home. When I stopped the car at the bus station, my aunt told me that there was too much smoke coming out of the exhaust. I got down to check. The exhaust was spewing huge amount of grey smoke. I have never seen so much smoke out of the exhaust. I turned off the engine and started it again and the smoke stopped. After this incident, I have not noticed any smoke.

From what you have written there are two possibilities that I see and thankfully neither are serious:

1. The first is a slight gumming of the nozzles on account of fuel quality (happens even with the best pumps) which would lead to the piezo nozzle closing micro seconds later resulting in marginally higher fuel delivery into the cylinder which would remain unburnt and mix with exhaust gases resulting in the grey smoke. To corroborate whether this was the situation, your mileage on the MID would have been marginally lower than usual. This situation can be overcome with a reasonable high speed drive (the objective should be higher rpms) which would induce a mild self cleaning (removal of any gumming) in the injectors.

2. The second, is only another possibility on account of the situation described which is (a) using the car after a short interval and (b) the humidity on account of the current weather, both of which have led to minor moisture build up in the exhaust and the resultant condensation and excess smoke after a 3km run. However, this is the lesser of the probable conditions as you say the smoke was grey. It also does not need any remedial action on your part.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:23   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
From what you have written there are two possibilities that I see and thankfully neither are serious:

1. The first is a slight gumming of the nozzles on account of fuel quality (happens even with the best pumps) which would lead to the piezo nozzle closing micro seconds later resulting in marginally higher fuel delivery into the cylinder which would remain unburnt and mix with exhaust gases resulting in the grey smoke. To corroborate whether this was the situation, your mileage on the MID would have been marginally lower than usual. This situation can be overcome with a reasonable high speed drive (the objective should be higher rpms) which would induce a mild self cleaning (removal of any gumming) in the injectors.

2. The second, is only another possibility on account of the situation described which is (a) using the car after a short interval and (b) the humidity on account of the current weather, both of which have led to minor moisture build up in the exhaust and the resultant condensation and excess smoke after a 3km run. However, this is the lesser of the probable conditions as you say the smoke was grey. It also does not need any remedial action on your part.
Thanks VeyronSuperSprt. Now that you mention point #2, the climate was indeed very humid, and I had just washed my car. It is possible that some water got logged inside the exhaust and resulted in the smoke. If that is the case, I would be a relieved man

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks