Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 14:39   #256
Team-BHP Support

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Once you claim insurance, it won't matter if you do it for an OVRM or for the full front. In zero-dep, It is just ONE claim, can amount to whatever amount the IDV (75%) goes up to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Once you put-up a claim, NCB is lost - Does not matter what the claim amount is. IMHO, since you need to go through the Insurance claim, get everything replaced once and for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In case of zero dep insurance it does not matter how many parts you change.
Thank you very much, friends, for the pointers and guidance. I will update once the car is back.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:47   #257
Team-BHP Support

After almost 3 weeks, brought the car back home from the dealer's workshop. The work was completed a week back, but as I was on business travel, could not collect the car.

Must say they have done a great job with the repairs. There is no visual indication of replaced bumper and fender. Following is the Before-After comparision.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-before.jpgPlatinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-after.jpg

Following are the major components changed.

1. Right fender
2. Front bumper assembly
3. Front right fog lamp
4. Front right alloy

The head light did not require a replacement. Headlight alignment has been corrected. At the workshop, the SA turned on the headlight and showed the alignment by projecting the light on a wall. It looked fine. Need to verify once again at night.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-invoice_1.jpg

The total invoice was 82,803. This included paiting of the rear right quarter panel for an earlier scratch, rubbing and polishing, some consumables and balance weights for which I had to pay 10,953.

In the ever increasing crazy traffic, it is becoming more and more difficult to keep the car dent free!!!
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 17:21   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see her back in shape!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The total invoice was 82,803. This included paiting of the rear right quarter panel for an earlier scratch, rubbing and polishing, some consumables and balance weights for which I had to pay 10,953.

In the ever increasing crazy traffic, it is becoming more and more difficult to keep the car dent free!!!
Just wondering, why have they charged twice under the same head "carried out accidental rep" (items 1 & 4 under labor) - 12k & 4.5k resp?

Also, what is external beautification?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 17:34   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Good to see her back in shape!

Just wondering, why have they charged twice under the same head "carried out accidental rep" (items 1 & 4 under labor) - 12k & 4.5k resp?

Also, what is external beautification?
Thanks Dry Ice!

Line item #1, 12.47k is for the labor charges for fender/bumper/alloy replacement and painting. This was paid by insurance. Line item #4, 4.5k is for painting a pre-existing scratch on the rear right quarter panel. This is documented here. This was paid by me.

As they have repainted the rear quarter panel, fender and bumper assemblies, to have an uniform finish, I had opted for a rubbing/polish work for the entire car (really not sure if this was necessary though). This is the "external beautification" line item.

Last edited by graaja : 14th September 2015 at 17:51.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 19:26   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, had no idea that all this had happened but good to see that all is well now. Don't worry about the resale, as Chethan said it'll be a irrelevant figure which will barely get you a new Swift in 2021 :-(.

Document your repairs well, stick to authorized service centres and enjoy your stunning beauty!!!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:54   #261
Team-BHP Support

New Addition To the Family and Jetta Throwing a Tantrum

On Gandhi Jeyanthi, Jetta got a baby brother added to the family - a Polo GT TSi for my wife.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-showroom.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-jetta-gets-younger-brother.jpg

And the next day, 3rd October, Jetta starts throwing a tantrum! What a coincidence!!! Now I have to convince the Jetta that there will be no step-motherly (or fatherly) treatment because the Polo has joined the family

Can other Jetta owners confirm if this is the symptom when the battery has conked out? Should I insist for a replacement?
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:13   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats graaja on the GT. A TDI DSG Jetta and a GT Tsi wow. Having read your posts on the requirements, choices considered etc.. Kudos for following your heart and going with the GT.

That image of both together is envy inducing.
Probably would have resulted in an evil eye being cast on the Jetta. . Hope it is nothing serious.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:30   #263
Senior - BHPian

If it's the battery, VW service will know in 2 minutes with their special battery diagnosis tool. Also if your driver side power window is not working in auto mode, that's another sign that battery is dead. They should replace it under warranty same day, but they need to take logs after installing new battery with 4 hour intervals. So they might keep the car for a day.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:46   #264
Senior - BHPian

Drained battery or dead battery - for sure.

As it is DSG, jump start is necessary.. Does the battery have a two year warranty?

By the way, congratulations on the new polo! All the more reason for you to start using VCDS!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:54   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As it is DSG, jump start is necessary.. Does the battery have a two year warranty?
DSG or not, jump start is preferred. Push starting apparently sends a surge which could damage electronics.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:07   #266
Senior - BHPian

That is absolutely a dead battery. It'll be covered under warranty, so push for that. Jump start it to give it enough juice to get it to the service Center and have them replace your battery. Don't worry, it's no biggie. I faced this exact same thing about 1.5 months back. It'll be over before you know it.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:05   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats graaja on the GT. A TDI DSG Jetta and a GT Tsi wow. Having read your posts on the requirements, choices considered etc.. Kudos for following your heart and going with the GT.

That image of both together is envy inducing.
Probably would have resulted in an evil eye being cast on the Jetta. Hope it is nothing serious.
Thanks Rajeev. Thinking back, I still cannot believe I started with Tata Nano in mind and ended up with the GT. However, with fun to drive, safety, build quality all having equal priority, this was the only choice I had!

Yes, it indeed looks like some evil eye. Will follow some grandmother's recipes to get rid of the evil eye

Quote:
By the way, congratulations on the new polo! All the more reason for you to start using VCDS!
Thanks Chethan. Yes. I plan to take out the VCDS cable from the box and start using it

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
If it's the battery, VW service will know in 2 minutes with their special battery diagnosis tool. Also if your driver side power window is not working in auto mode, that's another sign that battery is dead. They should replace it under warranty same day, but they need to take logs after installing new battery with 4 hour intervals. So they might keep the car for a day.
Quote:
Drained battery or dead battery - for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
DSG or not, jump start is preferred. Push starting apparently sends a surge which could damage electronics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
That is absolutely a dead battery. It'll be covered under warranty, so push for that. Jump start it to give it enough juice to get it to the service Center and have them replace your battery. Don't worry, it's no biggie. I faced this exact same thing about 1.5 months back. It'll be over before you know it.
Thank you all for the pointers. I will call VW service and get this sorted out on Monday. Will keep the thread updated with the developments.
Old 8th October 2015, 07:47   #268
Team-BHP Support

Update on the battery replacement:

Not a great experience this time

I had called VW service on Monday evening and they had the service person call me immediately. I told him the symptoms and he said the symptoms point to battery failure and he will come and jump start the car and I will have to bring the car and leave it at the workshop. At this time I also mentioned that the car is 1.5 years old and is under warranty. I asked him to come on Tuesday morning to jump start the car.

Tuesday morning he calls me and says he will bring a replacement battery and fix it at my home, and there is no need to bring it to the workshop. I was pleasantly surprised on this development. At 11:00 he comes as promised and after checking the symptom, directly replaces the battery. Everything works fine and I am a happy man.

Just at the time I was thinking what a great service this is, he makes some phone call and suddenly changes his mind. He now tells me I will have to bring the car to the workshop and leave it for a day. When I ask him why the sudden change of mind, he says he replaced the battery thinking the car was out of warranty and I was going to pay for the battery. This being warranty replacement, then they have to follow some procedures. He profusely apologizes for the misunderstanding and for raising false hopes. He promises me he will run the tests overnight and get the car delivered on Wednesday.

Being a rational person, I dismiss this event as an honest mistake and take the car to their workshop. Now the SA tells me he will not be able to guarantee delivery on Wednesday, as they have to charge the battery for 24 hours, send a report to VW, and then get the replacement on their approval. Nos this gets beyond my threshold. After I give them a piece of my mind, he promises he will do his best to get it ready by Wednesday evening.

Wednesday evening, I call him and he says he has completed all the tests and has sent the report to VW and is awaiting their approval. Will get the approval only Thursday morning and he will do his best to get the car delivered on Thursday evening.

Let me see if he keeps up his promise and delivers the car today. More than the 2 days delay, I am more irritated the way they are handling things. Had they told me in the beginning itself that it would take two days, I would not have minded at all. But giving false commitment at every stage is irritating.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:39   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Update on the battery replacement:

Not a great experience this time
This experience shows the difference between other manufacturers and VW.

I had a similar issue with my Ecosport. The battery had gone kaput as I wasn't using the car regularly.

The car was picked up by the dealership under road side assistance and handed back to me the next day with a new battery under warranty.

It was a very seamless process and I was informed that the battery had a defective cell plus non usage caused the issue.

For an 11L car, if I can get this type of service, not sure why a customer paying 22-25 lakhs has to face so much inconvenience.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:39   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I had a similar issue with my Ecosport. The battery had gone kaput as I wasn't using the car regularly.
This has me little worried, I have a new petrol Elantra and I use it once in 7-10 days for about 50 KMs. Should I be worried about its battery? What precautions would generally be recommended? Start the car daily and idle it for a minute is ok? Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks