Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2017, 19:07   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I asked him the same question regarding P3STs and he told me these will not harden or deteriorate like LCs. However, your case shows they're no different!
I sincerely hope the Pilot Sport's are better.
Yes. PS3 won't harden up and crack. My tyres have done close to 40k kms and still got about 5k kms in them.. Grip level is still excellent. Only grouse is the noise. 😊
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 17:22   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Yes. PS3 won't harden up and crack. My tyres have done close to 40k kms and still got about 5k kms in them.. Grip level is still excellent. Only grouse is the noise. ��
How old are your tyres ? Cracking issues seem to show up in case of low usage and more than 3 year old tyres. My car had done only 20k or so on new tyres when the issue started. If you're usage is high (approx 12k a year), then you'd probably get good value out of such tyres

Last edited by shashank.nk : 18th April 2017 at 17:25.
Old 18th April 2017, 17:27   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
How old are your tyres ? Cracking issues seem to show up in case of low usage and more than 3 year old tyres. My car had done only 20k or so on new tyres when the issue started.
My tyres are 1.5 years now after they were fitted on my car. As per manufacturing date, they were already 3 years old when they were fitted..

Therefore, in total, they are actually 5 years old form the day they were manufactured..
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 21:18   #319
Team-BHP Support

3rd Service Done

Completed the third service in the last week of March. As everyone knows, VW is performing a software update to the 2.0TDi engine as a fix to the DieselGate scam. As I had read about the power loss experienced by many users after the software update, I insisted that they do not perform the software update as I do not want any loss in power. I did not have much hope that they would oblige. But still I tried To my surprise, the workshop head accepted my request and asked the service advisor to get my signature for the same and add this to their file. Below is the scan of the request.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-software-update-waiver.jpg

The service included change of oil, pollen filter, oil filter, brake fluid and windshield fluid top up and brake inspection. As I was feeling that there was some looseness in the rear suspensions, I asked them to check the suspension mounts and if necessary lubricate the dampers. I asked them not to do AC disinfectation and wheel alignment and balancing. Got a call from the SA in the evening that the car is ready, but as wash is pending they will be able to deliver it only next day morning. I asked them not to do the washing and went and collected the car. Below is the invoice. Total cost 12.35K.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-jetta-3rd-service-invoice.jpg

Wheel Bent

During the last drive (Coimbatore to Theni) before giving the car for service, I had felt that there was some vibrations in the steering wheel at high speeds. As I had a very long road trip to Hampi coming up that weekend, I took the car to the tire shop to check the wheel balancing. To my horror, when they removed the wheels for balancing, they found that the right front wheel had a small warp. I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened. Maybe this happened as the car went over a pothole during the last drive (I could not remember though). Pictures below show the warp.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-warp-1.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-warp-2.jpg

I was worried about the upcoming road trip. The owner of the tire shop said that this is not a very serious bend and there is no safety issue. The vibrations will go away if the wheel is balanced and moved to the rear. I talked to another friend of mine who said as long as they are able to get a zero balance, it is ok to drive the car. So, I asked them to balance the wheel and shift it to the rear. As they were able to get a zero balance I felt some relief.

Road Trip to Hampi

That weekend, I had a very long road trip, Coimbatore - Bangalore - Hampi - Salem - Kovilpatti - Dindigul - Coimbatore. I covered close to 2150 km in 3.5 days.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-statistics.jpg

I must say I fell in love with the car again. A few friends had told me that VW may still go ahead with the software update in spite of my giving them in writing not to do the update. But from the drive, I can clearly say that there was absolutely no drop in performance. The car revs to the redline as it always used to. The new Pilot Sport 3 tires provided the best grip and handling (thought the noise is a little higher than the previous P3STs). There was one stretch from Hiriyur to Challakere that had winding roads with rocky mountains as background with almost zero traffic and it was a bliss to drive the car in this stretch.

I think the looseness I felt in the suspension is just my perception. As I got used to the very tight handling of the Polo GT TSi after the installation of coilovers, I think the feeling of looseness in the Jetta was after all relative. This was confirmed by the way the car still handles those curves.

Also, I did not have any problems with the bent wheel. Even at high cruising speeds, there was absolutely no vibration. If the wheel remains without any further warping, I will keep them till this set of tires are worn out and then maybe upgrade the alloys.

That's all folks, I have for now.
graaja is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:06   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
3rd Service Done

Completed the third service in the last week of March.....
Hi Graaja sir,

Good to see that your car is doing well. It's still as good as new. BTW, the Polo and the Jetta together look really swell thanks to the Bi-xenons.

I have upgraded to Michelin Primacy tyres and absolutely love them. Even we will be doing a Goa trip in our Jetta so I have decided to get it serviced at 40K rather than 45K.

I have a few queries here:

- The rear brakes are making a squeak especially when cold. I noticed that your brake fluid was changed. Shall I ask them to grease the pads as well?

-Did they get back to you about the rear suspension and is there any difference after they lubricated the dampers?

-Can they check the condition of the clutch somehow? (not a compulsion)

- I have refrained form doing the wheel balancing and alignment along with A/C disinfectant. There is something called lock cylinder lubrication for the central locking system. Shall I get this done?

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. Thanks lot in advance.

Regards,
vishy
Old 24th April 2017, 07:58   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Hi Graaja sir,

Good to see that your car is doing well. It's still as good as new. BTW, the Polo and the Jetta together look really swell thanks to the Bi-xenons.

I have upgraded to Michelin Primacy tyres and absolutely love them. Even we will be doing a Goa trip in our Jetta so I have decided to get it serviced at 40K rather than 45K.

I have a few queries here:

- The rear brakes are making a squeak especially when cold. I noticed that your brake fluid was changed. Shall I ask them to grease the pads as well?

-Did they get back to you about the rear suspension and is there any difference after they lubricated the dampers?

-Can they check the condition of the clutch somehow? (not a compulsion)

- I have refrained form doing the wheel balancing and alignment along with A/C disinfectant. There is something called lock cylinder lubrication for the central locking system. Shall I get this done?

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. Thanks lot in advance.

Regards,
vishy
Hi Vishy,

Thank you for the kind words. Apologies for the delay in response (had a busy weekend). And no inconvenience at all. I am glad to answer your questions

I guess brake fluid change is part of the 45K service. Also, I believe they did some greasing of some pin in the caliper (not sure exactly which part). You could ask them to do this. Just have them check how much life is left in the brake pads. The squeaking could be because of some dust particle stuck in the pads.

Regarding rear suspensions, they just checked it and told me everything is fine. It could just be me feeling the difference in the Jetta suspension after driving with the coilovers in the Polo GT TSi. However, during my last road trip of 2150kms, I think I got used to the Jetta suspensions again, and now I think they are fine

Not sure if they can check the life of the clutch. The DSG6 is a well sealed unit and they may not open it just to inspect. Only if you feel anything wrong with the gearbox like jerks etc., they may open to diagnose. If everything is working fine, just don't worry about it. DSG6 has a wet clutch and the clutch life would be quite high.

Not sure about the lock cylinder lubrication. Maybe someone who knows about this could reply.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 08:53   #322
Team-BHP Support

Lock cylinder lubing is basically spraying a small can of their lubricant inside the 4 door locks. Can be avoided. Another money making venture from the service centers.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 16:45   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding rear suspensions, they just checked it and told me everything is fine. It could just be me feeling the difference in the Jetta suspension after driving with the coilovers in the Polo GT TSi. However, during my last road trip of 2150kms, I think I got used to the Jetta suspensions again, and now I think they are fine
I guess my situation was somewhat similar. Having driven the GT TDI for the last 3.5 years (stock suspension setup), I started minding the sound from the rear of my newly acquired Jetta. Got it checked at one of the nearby VW workshops (Sewri Mumbai) and was told everything is fine. But foolishly, I went to another one (Cotton Green), where I was taken for a ride and had to burn 20k to get the rear shocks changed. Obviously the sound from the rear was still there. I have learnt to live with it now
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 18:36   #324
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion: At around 60 kmph speed, when the sound is predominant, just feather-touch the brake and listen if the noise subsides or vanishes. If yes, it is the brake pad pin that has worn out. In my Cedia this happened and the brake pad pin was the culprit.
RajaTaurus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:47   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
My suggestion: At around 60 kmph speed, when the sound is predominant, just feather-touch the brake and listen if the noise subsides or vanishes. If yes, it is the brake pad pin that has worn out. In my Cedia this happened and the brake pad pin was the culprit.
The sound goes off after the brakes have heated up. Shall I still worry about this? The car has done 40K as of now.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:46   #326
Senior - BHPian

If the sound goes off, it definitely is not coming from suspension. I suggest to get brake pad clips and pins checked for any looseness. It gets worse if not attended and you might end up changing caliper assembly along with the pins.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 07:59   #327
Team-BHP Support

A quick update:

Last week, I had taken the Jetta to the TBHP meet in Ooty and then to Madurai. When I was coming back from Madurai, some 30km into the journey, I got this low coolant level warning on the MID. Stopeed the car immediately and opened the bonnet to investigate. The coolant level in the coolant reservoir had gone to the bottom of the reservoir. And I could see water leakage from the hose connection to the radiator.

As it was already 6:00 in the evening, I wanted to see if I can somehow reach home without having to call road side assistance and sending the car on a flat-bed. Called up friend and fellow TBHPian Quicksilver and after discussing with him, I had two options.

#1. Call roadside assistance and take the car to Madurai workshop. Have it checked the next day and then decide on next steps.
#2. Top up the coolant reservoir with mineral water, check every 50km for level drop, keep filling and reach Coimbatore.

As I had lots of commitments on Monday, and as I was driving alone and did not have to worry about family safety etc., decided to take the more risky and thrilling Option#2. Poured the 2 liters of mineral water bottles I had in the car to top up the coolant reservoir and in the next available shop got a 5 liter water can.

Fortunately, the coolant level did not dip after that and I reached Coimbatore without any further problems.

Now, I need to take it to the workshop to get the car checked for the cause of leakage.

My only worry is this dieselgate fix, and the probability that the workshop updates my car with the fix.

Another option I am considering is to take the car to an FNG and check the cause for leakage and if this is something simple like loose hose connection, get it fixed without taking it to the workshop, and take it to workshop only if the problem is serious like a leaking water pump.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 09:14   #328
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest to get the car inspected at a FNG in your presence and based on the findings, decide your next course of action.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:39   #329
BHPian

Quote:
A quick update:
Fortunately, the coolant level did not dip after that and I reached Coimbatore without any further problems.

Now, I need to take it to the workshop to get the car checked for the cause of leakage.

My only worry is this dieselgate fix, and the probability that the workshop updates my car with the fix.

Another option I am considering is to take the car to an FNG and check the cause for leakage and if this is something simple like loose hose connection, get it fixed without taking it to the workshop, and take it to workshop only if the problem is serious like a leaking water pump.
Chances are high that this is a radiator leak. Finding the leak is going to be some task and will require some time. FNG will be a cheaper alternative to VW workshop, because they will find and repair the leak, while workshop simply believes in replacing the part. My friend got this done outside VW workshop in 1200 INR only. The main labour and skill is opening everything and then fitting it back like it was never opened.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:23   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Hopefully only a hose getting damaged or a connector getting loose. Let us know.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed