Team-BHP - Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/149902-got-briored-honda-brio-vx-automatic.html)

History:

'Self reliance' being the mantra, I was exploring an automatic hatch for my wife that can aid her to quickly attend to some domestic needs. My wife was not comfortable with manual shifters and hence the option of AT came into the scope.

Alternatives that were considered:

I was eagerly waiting for Celerio to be launched and was happy with the technology to make it a popular choice in our country. It could well have been a Celerio in my garage if not for the looks(not to my liking!) and the dealer's arrogant approach! So, Celerio was knocked off the list.

Next in line was the all new Grand i10 AT, I scoured on our TBHP and was thrilled to read the GTO's review of the same. My wife too liked all the bells and whistles of the ASTA version and the dealer is a friend of ours too. So, all was set for buying a Golden orange Grand i10!! I took a test drive of the same and could feel the 'rubber band' effect but did not have many choices to make at this point of time! The only grouse was non-availability of ABS+airbags even as an option- come on, Hyundai!!

What changed my choice?

I was taking this car through the company lease scheme to save some pennies of tax. I spoke on the car option/choice to our fellow bhpians- Ecosportrules & Rajesh Rawal!! Here comes the change of choice- They advised me to go for Honda Brio AT and Rawal actually forced me to have a test ride of the same. I called up the dealer Pride Honda and the test car was sent with the sales person, Sirisha in 30 minutes to my office!

I had a test drive of the Brio AT and tell you what- I was blown away with the engine response, AT smooth shifts & the overall stability of the car! To top it, it had ABS+EBD+Airbags too! I pushed the car to touch 120kmph and the car stood to its ground very well. The ride difference between Brio and Grand i10 AT was too perceivable, to ignore!

That test ride sealed the decision to buy the BRIO AT which was much better technologically(5 speed Auto), Honda reliability, spacious interiors, good safety features etc. I came back to office and changed my car selection to Brio AT. Thanks to Rawal & Ecosportrules!!

Next comes the choice of colour and the date of delivery!!

Team BHP and the reviews:

Firstly, I would like to thank Anshuman for the review of HONDA BRIO. I also would like to thank "sjiit" and for the details on BRIO AT. The other ownership threads too trickled in information, that was needed to satiate the hunger.

Complete booking & delivery experience:

The car was promptly booked through the office and "the buying of a new car feeling" takes me over, again! The dealer offered me a white AT initially, as I wanted the car immediately to meet a key anniversary objective.

The purchase order from the leasing company went out with a day's delay and being March end, the dealer was in a hurry to sell the car as to whoever paid him the monies(bird in hand, kind of approach!). So, the white AT was sold off and then thanks to 'ecosportrules', a Ralleye Red BRIO AT was readied for me. A special note of thanks to 'ecosportrules' for his intervention to get the car delivered asap.

Finally, a super hot looking Red BRIO AT was waiting for me and my family on 31st, March at Pride Honda.

The delivery experience of buying the smallest car in Honda's stable needs a special mention here- Harish, the sales Manager at Pride Honda left no stone unturned to ensure that the Lady Red was 'presented' to my family with all the honours! It was a great feeling to take the car with full puja & 'customer first' treatment and that too on a Telugu New Year day(Ugaadi!). Thanks to Harish, Sirisha and Pride Honda team for making it a memorable experience!

Toyota needs to learn a lesson or two from Honda on car delivery experience rendered to the buyer!!

My expectations in short from the car:

1. To be an Automatic with minimal rubber band effect
2. Be easy to ride(drive & maneuver) through the city traffic and soak the bad roads
3. Be reliable with good quality
4. Provide safety features like ABS, airbags etc
5. Effective city run hatch with good mileage
6. Able to take 3 or 4 passengers with ease
7. Powerful Air conditioning to beat Hyderabad heat
8. Put a smile on the driver's face every time you take it out

Cost details:
1. Ex. Showroom price in Hyd: Rs.6,09,500/-
2. Life Tax: Rs. 85,580/-
3. Insurance: Rs. 18,000/-
4. Logistics: Rs.5500/-
TOTAL >> Rs. 7,18,580/- OTR

I had visited the car, the earlier day when it arrived at the dealer's stockyard, fresh from Honda. It was a nice feeling to see the new car though it was all dusty!

Engine & variant: The engine is the much famed 1.2L i-VTEC, AT is offered only in VX trim now. The automatic is an 5 speed one and is real smooth in its transitions.

Equipment levels: I liked the equipment levels provided which has the sturdiness and the quality feel that they will last long. I did not like the too thin signal & wash wipe levers/stalks, though!

The audio system had me surprised with its sound reproduction and depth. This saved me some money as I see no reason for an upgrade. The aux in port and the USB port are a breeze, however the absence of a bluetooth connectivity is a certain damper!!How much did you save there, HONDA??
Overall, I am satisfied with the equipment levels and the safety features, which clinched the deal to a BRIO!

The steering is real chunky to hold and has a very precise input to it! The 'zip, zap, zoom' feel the car has, is worth to rave about! It is almost like a go karting car for me(coming from Fortuner!). The dual vanity mirrors are a very thoughtful addition and Honda knows its segment well.

I have completed ~290km as I write this review in a week+ time. The MID figures say an average of 9.6 kmpl, for now. I have been driving this car from a week now and it is a great ride! My wife is complaining that the car was supposed to be her's and I am not letting it go!

Exterior styling & design: Lot's of mixed feedback was given to me on the looks and I never thought Honda can squeeze in so much space inside the BRIO. I have always liked the way the car looked due to its quirky looks and the Red color is a good bright red which looks very sporty!

The alloys are fine and look enough for the car size except the MRF ZVTS tyres(175/65/R14), which were replaced with Yokohama Earth-1(185/65/R14) tires on the day of car delivery itself. The Headlamps are a neat design and have an excellent throw in the low beam & high beam too. The fogs do their job and do not need any upgrades on this section, considering this car is only going to be a city jaunt.

The overall build quality and fit & Finish: This is one of the strength areas for a Honda. Thought small, the car has a solid feel to it and inspires you in the morning, every day you crank it for the first time. Door handles are good to hold and are sturdy. The underbody pinnings and the finish too is good.

Interior design & quality: The car ranks high on ‘quality’ everywhere on the inside. The buttons, levers & mirrors etc are all well built. The visibility is good and the driver's seat height adjuster is useful.

Interior space and comfort: This is one of the strength's of Brio, the space is awesome for its size and the riding comfort is better than the competitors. My children were instantaneously in love with the car. The rear seat is comfortable and does its job. The side view mirror's can be adjusted from inside the cabin which is a good convenience feature, just that they should also have been auto-folding ones too! The speed sensing auto locking doors should have been incorporated.

Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points: A/C chills very fast and is very effective. Seats couch you and have enough thigh support.

Engine performance & driveability in the city: A super silent engine and a smooth one too, the gear shifts happen without your notice. It is very peppy and easy to drive with good power on tap. The Automatic box is a real boon and is an efficient performer.

The rear doors do not have pockets or bottle holders and you are left with only one bottle holder from the central console, behind the parking lever.

Suspension & ride quality: Brio has a good ride quality and a semi-soft suspension setup. I like the way it takes the road undulations and the bad patches. The Earth1 tyres are better than the stock ones and are silent performers. I like the looks of the upsized tyres on the Brio!

The after sales service, cost of maintenance etc would be the ongoing additions to this thread from my end.

Accessories added:
1. Floor mats
2. Rear parking sensors(Autocop, red colour)
3. Body cover
4. Hella windtone horns

To add:
5. Muffler cutter
6. Side door protectors
7. Front & rear bumper protectors
8. Leather steering wheel cover(if I like the fitment!)

All accessories were done at the dealer with no issues for Honda warranty.

The car was also pampered at 3M with:

1. Total car maintenance package(interior and exterior) for an year- Rs. 12,000/-. The exterior paint sealant treatment was done.
2. Underbody Schutz coating- Rs.4000/-. This was done to reduce the road noise seeping into the cabin, as the rear tyre wheel wells are without any cladding(cheap avoidance!).

1. Great engine mated to a smooth Autobox
2. Zip, zap, zoom car
3. Good safety features
4. Effective AC
5. Audio system HU

Dislikes:
1. Slim, not great to touch stalks
2. No rear bottle holders on the doors
3. No auto folding side view mirrors
4. No speed sensing auto door locks

These were my observations so far and start of my journey to get Brio'RED' with and in welcoming the 'Lady Red' into our family!

I will let some pictures do the talking!! I have lot's of pictures to share and each picture has a comment to give you further information. My advance thanks for your patience!

Pictures continued...1

Pictures continued...2

Pictures continued...3.

Pictures continued...4

Pictures continued...5

Pictures continued...6

Pictures continued...7

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on getting your 'mini boss'

Am glad i was able to convince you to buy the brio.

A very detailed ownership report clubbed with great pictures/captions:thumbs up

A well deserved 5 star

As a suggestion ,how about getting the stock alloys painted matt black?

Quote:

Originally Posted by getsurya (Post 3411706)
These were my observations so far and start of my journey to get Brio'RED' with and in welcoming the 'Lady Red' into our family!

Congratulations once again on the Lady Red!

One of the most understated silent performer in the car market. Though it didn't set the sales chart on fire which is disappointing but I am happy as it will be unique on road and not like the 'Swift' (Traffic density is generally measured by number cars in 1 km, but in India that can be changed to Number of Swift's per 1 km).lol:

I did get the glimpse of the lady when we met at 3M. Loved set of tyres BTW and much better than stock. Distinctive colour and more of unique that highlights the Brio and its good looks.

I am waiting for a diesel heart in a hatchback from Honda and yes, that'll be my next car.

The next time we meet, I am going to drive it around that 3M road!:D

Why not add Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W H4) headlamps too? They are better illuminating than stock I feel!

Anurag.

Hi @getsurya, a big congratulations on getting the new Brio. There seems to be a lot of incremental improvements like seat height adjustment, rear window de-fog etc., that the early buyers like me missed out. Kudos to Honda for being a such a pro-active manufacturer. They were conducting a lot of user surveys and its very good to see the thoughts being put into action.

I wish to take your feedback on the efficiency of the under body treatment that you have added. How much of a difference has it made in cutting the unwanted wheel well noise?

I feel the your tyre upsize would lead to huge variance in mileage readings. Any particular reason for choosing the odd size? I particularly feel the 175/65/R14 is adequate for the size, purpose and power of Brio. The only change required is swapping to better quality rubber since MRF stock sucks big time.

A detailed picturesque review. I could feel your excitement with every pic that you have posted. Congratulations for your new toy and share with us the performance and FE figures after the engine settles down.

Hi Getsurya,

Congratulation for the new Brio.

Did you consider Beat?
Size-wise, I thought Brio has biggest competition with Beat apart from i10.
Beat is equally loaded with goodies. But I trust Honda Score more.

What do you say?

Congratulations on your new ride. Thanks again for a beautiful review, makes my life easy to shortlist one for my lady. I was looking forward for Polo GT TSI, but then, its for my wife so this can be it. She does not care about BHP anyways.