Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2014, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition

‘Letty’- My 2013 Toyota Etios G ‘Xclusive’

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-cover-2-50.jpg

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-classic-grey-50.jpg

Note- This is my very first car and my first ownership thread at Team BHP. I’ve tried to share my buying and subsequent ownership experience. Do share your views on the 2013 edition of Etios.

The Decision Process

I consider myself a novice when it comes to automobiles. It has just been one year that I developed an interest in cars. Slowly one thing led to another and before I know it I was browsing the internet for my first car. I liked sedans to hatchbacks, so the obvious choice was an entry level sedan. As for the choice between petrol and diesel, my limited usage guaranteed a petrol version. Fixed my budget to around 6.5L. This was the time when Honda Amaze, the breakthrough car of the year, was introduced in the market. Was interested in it, so went to the showroom checked it out but didn’t take a TD. The car looked great but at its core it defeated my idea of buying a sedan. Studied Toyota Etios and the G variant suited my budget. Four things greatly influenced my decision to choose Toyota-
  1. Since it was my first car, I didn’t want to break the bank. I hoped to get my feet wet with an entry level sedan.
  2. The Team BHP reviews on 2011 Toyota Etios and Autocar India review on the upgraded edition greatly helped me in zeroing in on Etios.
  3. Reliability of brand Toyota and the low maintenance costs that comes along with it.
  4. The presence of relatives and neighbours within the ranks of Toyota. Was able to negotiate discounts which otherwise were not advertised. And then there was this peace of mind aspect also. In case of any emergency I could always count on my relatives.
A quick look at the specifications of Etios 'Xclusive' Editions.

Name:  Etios Specs.png
Views: 16207
Size:  56.5 KB

The Buying Process

I was still comptemplating the idea of purchasing Toyota Etios when the ‘Xclusive’ edition was introduced. Did a TD shortly after the inception of this limited edition Etios. Liked it very much and after some discussion with Mom and Dad booked it on 25th Oct, 2013. The booking experience was delightful at Topsel Toyota, Kasba Branch, Kolkata. The lady Sales Officer (SO) was knowledgeable and provided comprehensive information to cater all our queries. The financing was done from SBI. The Bank took nearly three weeks to finalize the financing. After this unnecessary delay in processing, made the full payment on 14th Nov, 2013. Went for the ‘Classic Grey’ colour which was a family favourite.

Booking and Delivery Experience

Pre-delivery: At the time of placing order we were promised of delivery within one month. However, it took almost one and a half month for our car to arrive at the dealership. Apparently the delay was due to the increased demand for the ‘Xclusive’ edition. According to our SO, 5000 bookings were placed, whereas Toyota initially planned to rollout 1000 limited edition Etios. This resulted in some production issues and hence the delay.

PDI: We were informed that our car arrived on 23rd Dec, 2013. Since we already had a long wait, I wanted to do a 2014 registration and take delivery on the auspicious New Year’s Day. Topsel Toyota consented to this arrangement. Our SO arranged for a PDI at dealer’s service centre on 26th Dec, 2013. Took Team BHP ‘PDI Checklist’ along with me for assessment. I was glad that everything checked out fine and it was at this moment that I decided to call her ‘Letty’, which means happiness in Latin. Letty has a Dec 2013 make engine. Subsequently, as per our request, the registration was made on 2nd Jan, 2014.

Delivery Day: Finally the day had arrived. 4th January, 2014 was the delivery day. Reached the showroom by 10 am. Everything was ready. After signing some papers, me and dad went to the new car delivery area. The car keys were handed over to us. Posed for some photos with Letty. Presented SO with a gift as a token of appreciation for her efforts. That’s it! All formalities over, time to enjoy the ride. Jumped into the beauty and off we went in our brand new car.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-handover.jpg

Deals Availed
  • Free accessories worth Rs.10k
  • Corporate discount worth Rs.5k
  • Diwali Discount worth Rs.10k
Total on Road Price= Rs. 6,82,000

Accessories availed from Toyota
  • Bumper corner protector
  • Wooden arm-rest panels
  • Under body protection
  • Fog Lights
Purchased the rest of the accessories from Deco World, Kolkata. Thank you @Samba for recommending the shop. Made the following fittings from Deco World.
  • Mudguard
  • Steering Cover
  • Full Matting
  • Artificial Leather Seat Cover (Dolphin)
  • Car Cover
  • My Shaldan Air Freshener
Along with these, bought a 12V Capedase Dual USB Car charger from Amazon.in.

Add-ons in the New 2013 Etios G Edition

Exterior: 2013 Etios edition do not undergo a major change on the exterior. The front grille gets a minor redesign and gets single chrome finish

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-front.jpg

The rear of the vehicle has new tail lights, which make it more attractive.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-back-50.jpg

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-taillight.jpg

However, all these minor upliftments do not address the issue of overall boxy feel that was present in the previous edition. Having said that, I do like the sedate look of Letty.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-sedate-look-50-50.jpg

Toyota added classic grey colour in the Etios’ paint shade. Doesn’t Letty look beautiful in Classic grey? It was the instant choice for everyone in my family. Am glad that Toyota included this colour in its portfolio.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-cover-pic-50.jpg

Interior: Open the door and you get to see the improvement from before. Toyota has carefully selected the dual tone interior without actually improving the quality of the plastic.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-dual-tone-interiors-50.jpg

The ash brown colour gives Letty an airy feel.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-airy-feel-50.jpg

The front seats get adjustable head rests, with generous cushioning and a lot of under thigh support.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-front-seats.jpg

On the other hand, the rear seats get bigger fixed head rests. Since our family has a medium height, the fixed headrests are not a major concern.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-rear-seats-50-original-resolution.jpg

The plusher door pads and faux wood trim look quite decent. The driver side gets a one touch power window.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-door-pad.jpg

The 2-Din HU has Bluetooth connectivity and can be controlled via a remote. There are no steering controls in G edition.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-hu.jpg

The AC vents now look richer with new AC switches that look more durable and have a nice tactile feel to them.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-ac_new.jpg

Performance: Toyota Listened to the complaints of high NVH levels inside the cabin. They resolved it by opting for hydraulic mounts for the engine instead of rubber mounts. The cabin is certainly quieter but definitely not the best in class. Another point, the stock Goodyear tires make hell of a noise on scrapped roads.

Dynamics
: Suspension is set on the stiffer side and the retuned dampers do their job very well to offer a pliant ride.

Overview of Toyota Etios Xclusive

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-xclusive.jpg

Etios ‘Xclusive’ had all the features of 2013 Etios G edition. In addition to these, one gets the following features:
  • Dual tone interiors
  • Reverse Parking Sensors
  • Bluetooth Audio System
  • Chrome accented shift knob
  • ‘Xclusive’ badge
Review

At the time of writing this review the odometer reads 500kms after three months of ownership. Needless to say my usage is on the lower side. I take the car out on weekends that too within city. Basically at home I’m a bit lazy, to the extent that @samba had to remind me to complete my ownership report.

Overall feel: Letty does what she is supposed to do. Enter the car and you get the feel of a proper sedan. It has got spacious cabin with lots of leg room, both at the front and rear.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-legroom-2.jpg

I don’t want to sound like a braggart, but the Dolphin artificial leather seat covers are very elegant without being ostentatious. The plush seats make any journey comfortable.Some pictures taken during the fitting of seat covers. See the difference. Deco World did one hell of a job to achieve the perfect fitting.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-fitting_main.jpg

The boot space is humungous. Even with the car cover tucked in the back, there is still room for groceries.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-boot.jpg

The stiffer suspension, minimal body lean and responsive steering make the ride a thrilling experience. The trade-off being a bumpy ride over city potholes at low speeds. However, at high speed she evens out the undulations. Being a novice, I may not be the best man to comment on the performance aspect. Having said that, I will not hesitate in saying that I love the ride in Etios and it leaves very little to be desired.

Engine and Transmission: Inside the bonnet Etios has a peppy 89bhp 1.5L petrol engine.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-engine-50-50.jpg

The light kerb weight makes Etios perform very well within city. Moving off, give a bit of gas and release clutch slowly and Letty starts rolling. The engine doesn’t like to be revved hard. The subtle changes in engine sound asks for early gear shifts. The following are the speeds where I upshift gears:

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-gear-shifts.jpg

I drove at a maximum speed of 100 kph, and even at this flying speed Etios was very well balanced, no clatter what so ever.
Coming to the most powerful of the gears i.e. the reverse gear. Reversing in Etios is quite a challenging task. The rear windshield is quite high and one has to be really careful while backing. The rear parking sensors in Etios ‘Xclusive’ makes parking easier.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-reverse-sensors.jpg

Steering and Brakes
: City maneuvering is simple. The light power steering is a boon in crowded city conditions. However, at high speeds I would have liked a little more feedback. The brakes are precise with a short braking distance.

Convenience of Dead Pedal sorely missing in Etios.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-abc.jpg

Fuel Efficiency: The car is still in the run in process and a lot of times I’m in bumper to bumper traffic with AC on. A crude estimate that I made was around 11kmpl. No highway estimate available yet.

Security: Immobilizer system with keyless entry and door ajar warning keeps Letty safe at night.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-key.jpg

AC
: Two words “bone chilling”. Still, the presence of climate control feature would have been a welcome addition.

The air cooled glove box keeps my Diet Coke cold in hot afternoon.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-glove-box.jpg

Music System: Toyota upgraded the ICE in 2013 Etios. I personally am happy with the stock sound system that comes with Pioneer HU.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-music-system.jpg

Music coming from the two front tweeters and composites is good but nothing exceptional. The absence of rear speakers is sorely felt by the rear passengers. Paired the system up with iPhone to listen to my favourite music which plays via Bluetooth. The ICE also supports hands free, a feature which I’m yet to try out.

The remote needs a line of sight link with the HU. The rear passenger needs to point the remote towards the HU or else the ICE won’t respond.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-remote.jpg

USB Charger: The 12V Capedase Dual USB Car charger has a 1A slot for charging iPhone and a 2A slot for charging iPad, a must for those long weekend trips.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-capedase.jpg

Detailing: I usually wash Letty on Sunday afternoons during winter and on early Sunday mornings during summer. Some of the maintenance products purchased from Autotrends.in :
  1. Formula 1 100 Washes Concentrated Wash & Wax Shampoo (828ml)
  2. Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel – Qty 2
  3. Armor All Multipurpose Car Home Microfiber All Purpose Cloth- Qty 2
  4. Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt (19cm X 11.5cm)
  5. Meguiar's Gold Class Applicator Pad(Pack Of 4)
  6. Armor All Leather Care Gel (532ml)
  7. Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 (207ml)
  8. Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl/Rubber Protectant 473ml
  9. Armor All Large Sponge with Easy Grip
Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-detailling.jpg

• Comfortable Seats
  • Light Steering
  • Peppy Engine
  • Precise Breaks
  • Better NVH Levels
  • Dual tone interiors which give an airy feel
  • Bluetooth HU
  • Humungous boot space
Dislikes
  • Relatively low mileage
  • Absence of rear speakers
  • Minimal improvement in exterior from 2011 edition

Verdict
- Toyota has made small but key tweaks in the latest edition of Etios. These changes instil a sense of elegance, bringing freshness in the overall feel of the car. I’m happy with my Letty and would recommend the new edition of Etios to anyone looking for a hassle-free entry level sedan.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2014 at 12:35. Reason: Typos
Apple Master is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 01:46   #2
BHPian

Spot the Light

Letty shines in the dark

Note: These night shots have been taken on iPhone.

The Console with speedometer. The speedometer in 2013 Etios now gets a nice-looking blue back-lit illumination.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-console.jpg

The strong headlights and fog lights of Etios. The foglights have been fitted from Toyota as an accessory.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-headlight.jpg

The beautifully redesigned tail lights.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-stoplights.jpg

Tail lights with turn signal.

Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition-turn-signal.jpg

Last edited by Apple Master : 18th April 2014 at 12:42.
Apple Master is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 14:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Letty - My Toyota Etios G Xclusive Edition

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 15:09   #4
BHPian

@ Apple Master, Heartiest congratulations on acquisition of Letty everything is very well covered in ownership report.

The rear head rests in my Liva are removable, but having fixed rear head is good in a way at least they offer a good view from IRVM. In my case removable head rests totally blocks the view.

The Artificial Leather Seat Cover looks very nice, fit and finish is very good. The steering cover looks nice i have removed mine after a negative feedback from fellow Bhpians plus the said cover made holding the steering a bit bulky.

Thumps up for the detailing stuff procured by you.

Enjoy your Ride. Drive safe

Last edited by driving_smartly : 18th April 2014 at 15:17.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 15:29   #5
BHPian

Thank you @driving_smartly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The Artificial Leather Seat Cover looks very nice fit and finish is very good.
Am proud of my seat covers, actually they were the choice of the two beautiful ladies in my life, my Mom and my Sis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The steering cover looks nice i have removed mine after a negative feedback from fellow Bhpians plus the said cover made holding the steering a bit bulky.
I was one of the BHPians who gave those negative feedbacks . Am happy that you changed the steering cover. Do post a picture of the new one in your ownership report.
Old 18th April 2014, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your new drive! The car looks awesome in the grey colour. Nice pictures too. The seat covers also look great and comfy. The Etios has the widest rear seats in its category. That's what i have read and heard. Nice choice for a first car.

Any reasons why the Dzire wasn't considered?

Anyways, enjoy the ride. Drive safe!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2014 at 12:22. Reason: Typos
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 15:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
Thank you @driving_smartly.

I was one of the BHPians who gave those negative feedbacks . Am happy that you changed the steering cover. Do post a picture of the new one in your ownership report.
I have removed the steering cover and haven't got a new one yet. Now a days i am using steering without cover.

In search of new cover but could not get something that will give me pleasure to hold steering and look good at same time.

But of late on highway drives my palm is getting sweaty even with chiller AC on full time.

Since i got my Liva my wifey has started to complain that liva gets all the pampering instead of her
Old 18th April 2014, 16:30   #8
BHPian

All the best for a very very long association with Letty. As you said the word Toyota gives peace of mind. A very good first buy. All the best.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Congratulations on your new drive !! The car looks awesome in the grey colour. Nice pictures too. The seat covers also look great and comfy. The etios has the widest rear seats in its caregory. Thats what i hav read and heard. Nice choice for a first car.

Any reasons why the dzire wasnt considered ??
Thanks Rohitj92 for those nice comments .

I'm a great fan of practicality of Maruti Desire. But personally, except SX4, Me and my Sis did't like the exterior looks of other Maruti cars that fell within our budget.
Old 19th April 2014, 00:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I consider myself a novice when it comes to automobiles. It has just been one year that I developed an interest in cars. Slowly one thing led to another and before I know it I was browsing the internet for my first car.
With out reading this line none will understand it came up from a newbie car enthusiast! In one year you have aquired more than enough knowledge to write a review on your car and i must say it came up fantastic. The way you highlight the difference between the old Etios and the new Etios will be really helpful to many perspective buyers.

Quote:
Purchased the rest of the accessories from Deco World, Kolkata. Thank you @Samba for recommending the shop. Made the following fittings from Deco World. Deco World did one hell of a job to achieve the perfect fitting.
You are most welcome and am happy as the job was done neatly and most importantly you are satisfied.

Quote:
At the time of writing this review the odometer reads 500kms after three months of ownership. Needless to say my usage is on the lower side. I take the car out on weekends that too within city. Basically at home I’m a bit lazy, to the extent that @samba had to remind me to complete my ownership report.
500kms in 3 months is certainly on the lower side but again whats the hurry? The car is yours, so enjoy the drive when ever you feel like driving , no point in going out for the sake of keeping the odometer ticking! And thank god i reminded you, if just because of my reminder you can pile up such a beautiful review and help many new buyers then i must say i did a great job!

And ofcourse congrats on your new ride and wish you many many happy Kilometers multiplied by 1.6 = Miles!!!

Last edited by Samba : 19th April 2014 at 00:23.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 07:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The way you highlight the difference between the old Etios and the new Etios will be really helpful to many perspective buyers.
Thank you Samba. I had fun writing the review and it's great to know you like it.

Quote:
500kms in 3 months is certainly on the lower side but again whats the hurry? The car is yours, so enjoy the drive when ever you feel like driving , no point in going out for the sake of keeping the odometer ticking!
Actually we never had a time to go anywhere recently. My Sis is giving joint entrance this year and it is a big deal for her. I'm not going to force her to go on a trip with me, and any journey without her is boring.

Quote:
And thank god i reminded you, if just because of my reminder you can pile up such a beautiful review and help many new buyers then i must say i did a great job!
Yes you certainly did. It was because of your timely reminder, I resumed compiling the report. You made me realize how my review will be beneficial to other new buyers. You are a true passionate car enthusiast and a good friend. RESPECT

Last edited by Apple Master : 19th April 2014 at 07:30.
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 12:19   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. It's a Toyota, so you can be sure it's going to serve the intended purpose very very well.

I'm myself (seriously) considering the etios diesel and took a test drive a short while back. The first thing I realized was it wasn't as bad as it was being made out to be on many fora. Everything felt just about adequate - except for space which was above average. I think the etios is a perfect accountants' car - but that's entirely my own opinion and no offense to anyone. Accountants and supermodels not withstanding, I might buy one pretty soon. Only the dealer could not commit to a delivery date due to Toyotas recent labour problems.

Quote:
Toyota Listened to the complaints of high NVH levels inside the cabin. They resolved it by opting for hydraulic mounts for the engine instead of rubber mounts. The cabin is certainly quieter
Sure about that? I did not know the hydraulic mounts were available on the petrol models.

Good luck and do keep this thread updated.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This was the time when Honda Amaze, the breakthrough car of the year, was introduced in the market. Was interested in it, so went to the showroom checked it out but didn’t take a TD. The car looked great but at its core it defeated my idea of buying a sedan.
Congrats on your new ride or I should rather say first ride .

Can you please elaborate the above line in bold. What made you drop the Amaze from the list? Honda's petrol engine would have better and more fun to drive I feel.

Does this variant come with the safety features? Not criticizing but it leaves me a tad bit disappointed when even BHPians continue to opt for models/variants which come without the basic safety features including atleast ABS and 2 Airbags.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
‘Letty’- My 2013 Toyota Etios G ‘Xclusive’

At the time of writing this review the odometer reads 500kms after three months of ownership. Needless to say my usage is on the lower side.
Since you got your car delivered in January and done only 500 kms till date, was 1st free service done after a month from the date of delivery ?

If, yes how was your experience and what all things were carried out ?

For diesel it is 1000 kms or 1 month after that 10,000 kms or 12 Months from the date of delivery.

What are the service intervals for petrol Etios ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Honda's petrol engine would have better and more fun to drive I feel.
Quoting GTO's Review http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Quote:
Toyota has currently launched the Etios with a 1.5 L petrol, while the 1.4L turbo-diesel should be arriving sometime in 2011. This DOHC 16V 1,496 cc petrol engine is rated at 89 BHP (5,600 rpm) and 132 Nm of torque (3,000 rpm). The BHP / Liter output of 59.33 is pretty modest. Toyota has evidently tuned the engine for driveability & fuel-economy instead. Nevertheless, thanks to the Etios’ light weight, it enjoys the best power-to-weight ratio of the segment. The Etios also makes more torque than the Dzire & Manza, and at a substantially lower rpm.

The car settles into a very refined idle. Get moving and you’ll be left pleasantly surprised at the driveability on tap. Torque delivery from low rpms is phenomenal, easily the best in class. The 2nd gear can effortlessly pull the car from crawling speeds, as can the 3rd from as low as 20 kph. Depending on the traffic density, you could use either the 2nd or 3rd ratios like an automatic within the city. The Etios can even pull away from a speed-breaker in 2nd itself, a situation where most other cars require a downshift to 1st. Point worth noting : Shift into 5th gear a little over 50 kph, and the engine doesn’t complain.
At the point of review Amaze was not launched, now that Etios has competition from amaze a comparison on petrol variants of both would really help prospective buyers in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Does this variant come with the safety features?
Etios G Xclusive Edition does not come with Airbag and ABS.

Etios G -SP, V-SP comes with Airbag and ABS.

In diesel ABS is Standard

Last edited by driving_smartly : 19th April 2014 at 13:10.
Old 19th April 2014, 13:06   #15
BHPian

Thank you isiv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Did not know the hydraulic mounts were available on the petrol models.
I was informed by SO that Toyota had placed hydraulic mounts in petrol version. So that is my source of information. Irrespective of the mounts you could feel the improvement in NVH from before. Cheers!!!

Last edited by Apple Master : 19th April 2014 at 13:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks