Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 12:29   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Not quite happy with the throttle response within the city especially with AC on. I must confess I am expecting a bit too much from the puny 1.0L engine. I have added a bottle of Lui Moly Injector Cleaner which was with me for the last 6 months.
Must say that bottle played the trick and I am sold. Within 20 odd kms, I could see a difference in the throttle response. It wasn't jerky anymore, just smooth. After about 150 kms, I must say now I can pull away from 20 kmph@3rd gear and <10kmph@2nd gear with a single passenger. Even with 4 on board AC on, I could take a tight U-turn in the 2nd gear cleanly without touching the clutch pedal. All of this with AC on. However the addictive kick I was getting at 2k and 3k rpms before the last service is still missing. The acceleration is linear and engine is smooth.

MRF ZLX 165/65 R14 Update

Got 4 tyres replaced. After purchase, installation, alignment and balancing, the total price came to Rs. 14025 for all 4 tyres. The tyres are between 3-6 months old. My observation after driving for about 50 kms.
  • Road noise has reduced by 70%. That's how noisy the Yokos were towards the end.
  • Ride quality has improved a lot. That's after coming from 4yr/40k km old tyres.
  • Braking has improved and is confidence inspiring now.

I have checked the handling much as I was driving sedately. But I must say my Yokos held the corners pretty well even in the worn out condition. I can compare the MRF when I take the highway next weekend for a 1000+ km trip.

The best among the Yoko Earth 1s was retained as the new spare.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-stepney.jpg

The old spare was an eight year old Apollo but looked very good. Gave it up as it was a size lower - 155/65R14
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-old-stepney.jpg

New MRF has deep grooves but the tyre much looks narrower that the Earth 1. Could be because of the tyre shape - ZLX is round on the surface while Earth 1 is squarish. Overall the Earth 1 gave a beefier stance.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-new-mrf.jpg

While changing the tyres, I noticed the amount of dust in the rims, tyres and wheel wells. So I got the RoadRunner some wash as well.
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-wash.jpg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-wash-2.jpg

This July the RoadRunner will turn 8. ODO is currently at 74.7k kms. Should touch the 80k mark by its 8th birthday.

Last edited by ashis89 : 10th March 2019 at 12:32.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 20:26   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

re: An "adopted" Blue eyed boy: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR - Update - 8 Years & 81,000 kms

After the last wash, I could hear a whining sound and a hissing kind of sound. Got it checked at my FNG and the owner found a minor play in the water pump. The water pump was changed along with the tensioner pulley, alternator belt and some other belt. Total bill 2900 including labor charges.

There is still some hissing/whining kind of sound which they acknowledged but couldn't pinpoint. They tried rotating the alternator and compressor manually but found no issue. I have been suggested to drive as is and see if the sound increases.

Will be driving down to Dindi this weekend, a round trip of 1000+ kms.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 16:14   #123
BHPian

Really appreciate your regular updates on this thread. Thanks to the meticulous maintenance schedule you follow, RoadRunner doesn't look like it's 8 years or ~80k kms old. Wish you and your steed many more happy miles!

Quote:
The old spare was an eight year old Apollo but looked very good. Gave it up as it was a size lower - 155/65R14
Apart from the fact that it was lower sized, the rubber must have turned hard due to it being way past it's life. Good that you decided to get rid of it
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 12:34   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week, took the RoadRunner to Dindi and back, a round trip of ~1050 kms. Just me, my wife and some a couple of bags in the car. The onward journey of 500 kms took us 9 hrs and the return was 8 hrs. Some pointers from the trip:

1. Maintained triple digit speeds for most parts of the journey. RoadRunner was at ease.

2. The FE seems down. Got 15.5 kmpl over 3 tankfuls, 100% AC at full blast.

3. AC performed pretty well and kept us cool even though the outside temperatures were ~ 38 degrees.

4. Roads include ~420 kms of 4 lane highways, 40 kms of single road with heavy traffic and 40 kms of city + mix roads.

5. Gaining and maintaining good speeds over 4 lane roads was effortless. In busy single roads with oncoming traffic, overtaking was a bit difficult. Power lag at low RPMs + AC meant I had to push the engine for overtaking.

6. MRF ZLX performed very well. They are soft, silent and a boon on broken roads. I didn't have to slow down at broken stretches of road and RoadRunner wasn't complaining either. Road grip was very good at all speeds. Just a wee bit more body roll felt in these tires as compared to Yoko Earth 1s. I can hear my music clearly without having to jack up the volume.

The whining sound is completely gone. RoadRunner is completely healthy. The ODO crossed 76000 kms yesterday. It is still on stock clutch which I feel, might be the next expense on the list.

Till then...Beep Beep!
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 11:20   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Another month and the odo stands at 77150 kms. RoadRunner was inspected at my FNG for suspected weak clutch. The FNG owner did a TD and brushed my concerns aside, the OE clutch still has lot more life in it. It was 4000 kms since the last service and the vitals were found just fine. The coolant was topped up with some distill water due to the increasing temperatures.

Last couple of tankfuls returned 13.5 and 13.85 kmpl, 100% AC and 100% city.

In a couple of days, me and RoadRunner will be going on a solo trip to Chennai!
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 18:51   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

The trip to Chennai last week was done smoothly. The onward journey took me 12 hrs for 730 kms and the return trip took me 11 hrs. In between, made a quick run to Mahabalipuram and back as well. All in all, 1685 kms covered in 8 days.

The FE varied a lot throughout the trip - 15.3, 15.8, 13.3 and 16.6 kmpl (calculated tankful to tankful). Speeds were 90-100 kmph throughout the highways. Extremely hot days means the AC was running in full blast at all times, even while idling.

Good part is that the driveability and acceleration which I felt missing since the last service, is back in full form. The 2nd and 3rd gears are used most of times in the city while the need for the 1st is felt very rarely now.

Some pictures from the trip:
An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-image1.jpeg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-image4.jpeg

An "adopted" blue eyed boy | Pre-owned Maruti WagonR | EDIT: 13 years, 96000 km and SOLD!-image5.jpeg

I carried a lot of luggage to and from Chennai. Needless to say, the interiors are dusty and the exterior has lost its shine after this long trip. RoadRunner needs a good wash and interior cleaning, hopefully over the weekend.

As of today, the odo is few kms short of 79000 kms. Technically, it has crossed 80k as I am running upsized tyres. For the 8th birthday in July, I have got a can of Shell HX8 5W30 and hunting for a good engine flush.

More on that later. Till then...Beep Beep!
Old 14th June 2019, 20:46   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 80000 kms update

The RoadRunner touched 80000 kms today, 1 month before it turns 8 years young.

The FE has been low in the last 2 tankfuls - 11.3 kmpl (100% city, 100% AC) and 15.6 kmpl (city/highway - 50/50, 100% AC). Even the current tankful should return around 12. Got 2 major damage to the body in the last week - 1 big scratch each on the front bumper and on the rear bumper + side panel. A biker in super hurry to squeeze into gaps and an unmindful cab driver are to be blamed.

Now the good part. The pick up and driveability is again at its best. With 1-2 passengers, I get a distinct kick and surge around 2.2k rpm. Must say I am loving it. I got a bottle of System G but haven't felt the need to use it.

I ordered the Liqui Moly engine flush to be used before pouring the Shell synthetic oil. I am travelling most of June and July. So the next service should be done in August.

I could hear a squeaking sound frequently from the rear wheels while braking. After couple of weeks, it has disappeared. May be the rear OE brake shoes are due for a change. That and a loose number plate bulb needs to be taken care during next service.
Old 14th July 2019, 23:32   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

The insurance was renewed for the 9th year before I came on a business trip. Cost me INR 4310, slightly more than last year's premium. When I return, the first thing planned is to take RoadRunner to my FNG for a service. I have the following items in the agenda:

1. Engine flush which I bought earlier.

2. Synthetic engine oil which I bought earlier.

3. Check and replace the OE rear brake shoes. They were squealing and might be due for replacement.

4. Check and replace wheel bearing(s) which is groaning for the last 500 kms.

5. LHS Caliper pin which seems like a consumable on a Maruti car

6. Brake and clutch bleeding.

7. Check and replace clutch release bearing as I often get a squeak while releasing the clutch pedal.

8. Air-filter check and replace.

9. Spark plugs check and replace as the FE has been low.

7. WB and WA as the new tyres have done 6k kms already.

I am contemplating to hold on to the RoadRunner for another 2-3 years/40-50k kms. On the other hand, my father thinks it is old now in terms of years and suggests it is time to upgrade to something better. Even though the maintenance cost of the car has increased in the recent years, it's still low and much cheaper than the cost of a new car. A new car would mean I would take some loan which I don't want to.

If I retain, I am planning to upgrade the ICE and maybe a couple of worn out interior trim to give it a refresh. While at it, I might get the denting done to remove the new scars it has received.

Less than 10 days since I am away from my RoadRunner and I can't stop thinking about when I return and get to drive. Next month, I will be driving down to Chennai-Pondy and back. Exciting times ahead!

Last edited by ashis89 : 14th July 2019 at 23:34.
Old 15th July 2019, 00:12   #129
BHPian

Quote:
The insurance was renewed for the 9th year before I came on a business trip. Cost me INR 4310, slightly more than last year's premium.
Assuming you've taken a third party insurance only, who's your insurance provider? Asking because we renewed our 15+ year old Santro Xing's insurance with Oriental for Rs. 4337 last week. Last year it was ~Rs. 3500.

On second thoughts though, maybe third party insurances don't take the vehicle's age into account? Not sure.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 00:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
On second thoughts though, maybe third party insurances don't take the vehicle's age into account? Not sure.
Age doesn't matter. The Third Party insurance premium is fixed by IRDA based on vehicle category. Premium for own damage or typically what we call first party coverage & related add ons are upto the respective insurance companies to decide.

Every year IRDA review & revise the rates of Third Party premium. Usually it used to stay same or had minor changes but since last 4/5 years, it is having really stiff hikes.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 01:49   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Assuming you've taken a third party insurance only, who's your insurance provider? Asking because we renewed our 15+ year old Santro Xing's insurance with Oriental for Rs. 4337 last week. Last year it was ~Rs. 3500.

Nope, I have a comprehensive plan on my car with an IDV of 1.7L and NCB of 50%. I have been renewing it from IFFCO TOKIO. The breakup is below:

Own Damage Premium: +5433
Voluntary excess discount (of 5000): -1358
Anti Theft Device discount: -122
NCB discount: -1977
Other loading discount: -395
Net Premium (A): +1581

Third Party Premium (B): +2072

Total Premium (A+B): 3653
Tax on Premium: 657
Total amount paid: 4310

Hope it helps!
Old 20th July 2019, 20:29   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Must say that bottle played the trick and I am sold. Within 20 odd kms, I could see a difference in the throttle response. It wasn't jerky anymore, just smooth. After about 150 kms, I must say now I can pull away from 20 kmph@3rd gear and <10kmph@2nd gear with a single passenger. Even with 4 on board AC on, I could take a tight U-turn in the 2nd gear cleanly without touching the clutch pedal. All of this with AC on. However the addictive kick I was getting at 2k and 3k rpms before the last service is still missing. The acceleration is linear and engine is smooth.

MRF ZLX 165/65 R14 Update
Greetings sir,
Have been a silent visitor of your very informative and interesting thread.
I wanted to know how to use the Injector cleaner. I too have an adopted blue boy from a different Japanese adoption center(read Honda ) and wanted to experience the results you've written about.
Wish you and your "adopted" boy many more amazing miles.
Cheers

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 26th July 2019 at 10:31. Reason: Quoting complete long post
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 02:25   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Greetings sir,
Have been a silent visitor of your very informative and interesting thread.
I wanted to know how to use the Injector cleaner. I too have an adopted blue boy from a different Japanese adoption center(read Honda ) and wanted to experience the results you've written about.
I have tried injector cleaners from Liqui Moly, Abro and Gum Out. I found Abro to slightly better than the other two. The quantity to be added differs from brand to brand but mostly, a single bottle is good for a tankful of petrol. Refer the bottle for instructions.

It's best to add it before you tank up, right at the fuel bunk. Add the injector cleaner and then fill the tank to the brim so that the cleaner mixes well. Drive it till you use up almost all the fuel before you tank up again. Do share your results!

I have got a bottle of System G which I am going to try out once I am back in India.

Quote:
Wish you and your "adopted" boy many more amazing miles.
Cheers
Thanks!
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 19:54   #134
BHPian

Hello ashis89,

This is quite an amazing ownership report you are maintaining. Thanks for the frequent updates and information. Me too own a blueeyed boy who is currently 9 years old and 55k running. As always he is being a faithful companion through the drives. I have been a silent reader of your thread and has been following ever since the start. I thought its high time that I appreciate you for this amazing effort in maintaining this thread.

A few requests from my side,
Could you please post a picture of the aftermarket handrest you have fixed? Was it a DIY?
What wipers are you using now? Did you change to frameless?
About the rear wipers, which brand replacement are you using? What size?
Can you share some details on the rear view camera?

Thank you.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 05:45   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Hello ashis89,

This is quite an amazing ownership report you are maintaining. Thanks for the frequent updates and information. Me too own a blueeyed boy who is currently 9 years old and 55k running. As always he is being a faithful companion through the drives. I have been a silent reader of your thread and has been following ever since the start. I thought its high time that I appreciate you for this amazing effort in maintaining this thread.
Thanks for your words of appreciation. I hope your boy gives you good company for many more years!

Quote:
Could you please post a picture of the aftermarket handrest you have fixed? Was it a DIY?
No. I ordered online and got it installed in an accessories shop. You have to remove the front seats to be able to drill in the holes. Refer the images I uploaded in the following post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4232083 (Aftermarket Armrest Fitment)

Quote:
What wipers are you using now? Did you change to frameless?
About the rear wipers, which brand replacement are you using? What size?
I tried MINDA frameless ones but felt they were heavy and put more load on the motor making it run slow. Then I tried Hella conventional ones but that was the worst decision. Those Hella wipers scratched my windscreen and I get a lot of glare at night now.

It is seven months since I went back to Maruti OEM wipers and I am happy again. Even though they are relatively expensive, they typically last 2 years (>3 years in case of the rear one).

Sizes are 18 and 16 inches for the front ones and 14 inches for the rear one. I paid about Rs.8xx for all 3 OEM wipers. You can find the details in the following post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4472434 (The 'Wiper Blade' Thread)

Quote:
Can you share some details on the rear view camera?
Thank you.
I don't have a rear view camera on my car. The previous owner had removed it when he sold the car. By the time I thought of adding a camera, to fill up the hole in the bumper, I was comfortable without any camera and didn't feel the need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks