Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 16:47   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Yes, it’s located in the same place. Unfortunately, the thermocol unit protecting the BT module has been removed by the driver, and kept aside. I hope there is not water inside the module.
If the floor was not filled with water but the carpet was just wet, chances of water ingress into the module is less. But you said you had to use a mug to pour the water out? In which case, water would have definitely gone inside. Please unplug the connector, remove the module and keep it outside the car for drying.

Quote:
If the control unit is wet under the car, My Extended warranty is void from today.
Which control module are you referring to here?
Old 15th July 2015, 16:58   #287
BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time i had seen anything like this. I'm sure the water didn't come in from the doors. It's from beneath the car. And VW suggested to strip open the entire floor and clean everything.
That really hurts. Please get a thorough underbody check done. There is also a drain valve somewhere in the floor that aids to drain water incase of water logging. Ask them to check if the cap/value is intact. I guess a bad valve can let water into the floor when there is too much water beneath the car.

Quote:
Never heard of these, Can you give me a few details.
Its just a plastic sheet that covers the entire cabin floor so that accidental spilling of water/fluids don't get a chance to seep underneath. It also helps to keep the floor clean. Our own Gannu has done this to his Polo GT TDI. Watch this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3554271

I was suggesting this under the assumption water has seeped in through the doors somehow. If it has gotten through the bottom of the car then this solution cannot be of any help. Infact it might be a pain than gain in this case.
Old 16th July 2015, 14:38   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If the floor was not filled with water but the carpet was just wet, chances of water ingress into the module is less. But you said you had to use a mug to pour the water out? In which case, water would have definitely gone inside. Please unplug the connector, remove the module and keep it outside the car for drying.
Gannu, to my suprise. I did not find any BT module under the seats. On confirmation i got to know that the JET's module is a part of the audio system.

I have checked one of our forum's thread ( Black Jetta ) he had imported a module which was installed under the seat. This doesn't seem to be the case with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Which control module are you referring to here?
I am not technically sound as you are, So i am not sure which module he was referring to. I was quiet when i was informed about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
That really hurts. Please get a thorough underbody check done. There is also a drain valve somewhere in the floor that aids to drain water incase of water logging. Ask them to check if the cap/value is intact. I guess a bad valve can let water into the floor when there is too much water beneath the car.
I don't think they have any such drain mechanism. ? I think I would have been intimated if such a thing existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
I was suggesting this under the assumption water has seeped in through the doors somehow. If it has gotten through the bottom of the car then this solution cannot be of any help. In fact it might be a pain than gain in this case.
I agree with you. I will have to make sure that this doesn't happen ever again.

Bought a room heater to dry the car. Also the condition seems to be better today. Left the car at 3M once again to do the vacuuming.
The car is running as it should, no warning lights, No foul smell etc. Using thick cardboard's and paper inside the cabin. Sunlight and heater should make the condition better in a couple of days.
Old 16th July 2015, 14:51   #289
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think they have any such drain mechanism. ? I think I would have been intimated if such a thing existed.
I'am no expert at this, request Gannu/others to chime in. My only concern is to prevent this from happening second time. Happy to know your car's condition is improving.

Last edited by super.cars : 16th July 2015 at 15:01.
Old 25th July 2015, 06:58   #290
BHPian

The floor is much better now. Another 10% of water remains. Using a room heater did help to some extent. Had this been summer, it would have been a two day work. All that i have to deal with now is the mist inside the cabin and the smell.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 25th July 2015 at 06:59.
Old 3rd September 2017, 05:07   #291
BHPian

Resurrection

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-screen-shot-20170902-7.08.59-pm.png

Well, Hello There!

While I might disappeared from the forum without any updates to my thread, I have never moved away from Team-BHP. Though the content I consume from the site has significantly come down, I used to stalk my fav threads time to time. The lack of time to keep up, coupled with the fact that I did not have a car to drive has turned me into a silent invader and hence killing all my activity on the forum.

On the brighter side of things, the last two years have been quite important for me. Education had become my top priority and took over almost everything. Prior to my time here in the states, I spent most of it falling in love. That weird feeling that makes you a blind, stupid and sets you in a direction of belief. Everyone here knows my love for the JET but what may be new is the fact that it’s been two solid years since I have driven the car.

On the other side however, the unexpected happened in these two years. Right When I was building my feelings and gratitude towards VW as a brand, they had to come up with the most disgusting scandal ever heard in the automotive industry. Broke all my fancy chains I have been laying around this brand. Few threads on the forum have kept me aware of situation and software updates on the affected diesel cars. I was happy that JET wasn’t one of those affected cars, sametime felt sorry for all the BHPians who had a lot of trust in the brand. I even came across a BHPian who sold his vento post the software fix. It stinks. The whole thing.

Did it make my opinion change on the brand? Nope not one bit. Why? May be it's love or may be this stupidity. But it is what it is. Period. The heart over head nonsense makes you blind enough that you always start to look for the brighter side of things. Don’t get me wrong, I love the product and product only, but the management. I do not want to waste my energy talking about them. But then, some part of me still questions, why demean an entire brand because one negligent department screwed up big time. I mean, I live a country where a decent amount of the population screwed up electing their next best leader and are facing the consequences. At least VW made it up to their customers with the Arteon and the new 2018 Polo line up and the T-Roc.

While we could debate on the integrity of the brand, today is not the day.

Then what am I doing here on an outdated thread? blabbering and trying to piss off people with my rant? This love bug bit me yet once again and as a result, I end up making a heart over the head decision. Again.

Introducing JET 2.0 - My Jetta GLI

While you hit on your head (or mine) with something hard, I have owned the car for a couple of months now and had done about 9k miles. I now have the best of both worlds. The oil burner back home, the pouncing cat at home away from home. I will not bore you guys with what the car feels like. The entire Jetta thread is aware of the GLI and it’s power. This short video will sum it up for me.

While I don’t see myself driving Audi’s or Mercs, the other German brands that I have the same level of respect are the Volvo’s and Beamers. An important question here would be, “Will I ever hate this brand?” may be, may be not. So far my entire family’s experience with VW has been hassle free. No breakdowns, no issues, no headaches. I hope and pray it remains that way. Touch wood. In fact, the JET now has a sibling (who wears a VW on his hood) back home. Will I ever choose the above mentioned cars over VW. May be, may be not. Only time will tell.

May be someday when the cars give up on me, I might feel the pain and curse a word or two about the brand, be done with them and move on to a better brand with a better management. But until then #VWforlife Thanks for spending some time here. This time around, went with white. Enjoy!

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-1.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-2.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-3.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-4.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-5.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-6.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-7.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-8.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-9.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-10.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-11.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 3rd September 2017 at 05:15.
Amarendranath is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 01:58   #292
BHPian

It’s been a while since I updated the thread. While I don’t have any exciting news to share, I am happy to report that the JET is approaching it’s 5th year milestone and had recently finished it’s 60k service(in spite of the car just clocking 25k kms). I hope for a day when manufactures remove the time clause for vehicle service. The car clocked just around 4k miles in 2018 as my parents had to do a lot of traveling to the US. With a recent addition of a Jazz CVT to our garage, the overall running of the JET will not exceed 6k - 8k kms per year. It’s been a peaceful 4 years of ownership and I hope it remains the same in the next few years as we have no plans of retiring the car anytime soon.

A few niggles:

1. A sensor housed on the dashboard has popped out and is protruding out of the dashboard. I have come to realize that this is a common issue among all the Jetta owners here on the forum.

2. The central AC vent controller (silver clip) has fallen off while gently adjusting the airflow. Replacing it costs a whopping 13k. My good friend Karan has shared the part number for this part, I hope to find a cheaper OEM option online.

3. My father reports (I moved to Philadelphia in 2015) that the AC unit feels underpowered specially during the summer.

4. The alloys are chipped/scraped at places and I have been told that repairing them costs a bomb.

5. The front logo is starting to rust, (thanks to our monsoons) I was sure a detailing session would fix it and couldn’t help but question the quality of the materials used.

Service and Other Misc Updates:

1. We opted for the 2 + 2 extended warranty back in 2014 and the warranty is now expired. While I was super excited about the 7 years warranty support from VW, the pricing is just too expensive. Considering the number of miles the car does in a year, we have no plans purchasing any additional warranty as of now. Fingers crossed.

2. The latest service has been the most expensive till date costing around 32k. The DSG gearbox oil change as a part of the 4th year/60k kms schedule contributed to the price increase. The DSG throw between modes now feels super smooth (I guess it’s just placebo). I am also happy that I won’t be seeing this on the bill again until 2022.

3. Apart from the above mentioned niggles, the car has no rattles and squeaks. Quite happy with the interior quality of the leather and all the plastics. The dashboard soft touch material is also holding up quite good.

4. The maintenance costs average around 20k per service. The labour charges are a cool 8k. The consumables fluctuate between 12k to 13k.

5. Given the low mileage on the car, the break pads seem to be holding up. However, the wiper blades had to be replaced and cost us around 3.6k.

6. The experience with the various service teams have been good. Booking appointments, follow-ups and issue reporting have all been prompt. Though the service managers want to replace everything in the car when asked for a solution, they are usually courteous and keep us updated with the need of the hour phone calls.

7. The car was really dirty when it was picked up. (the pick up and drop facility is super convenient) It was properly washed and the interiors were throughly vacuumed (including the boot) when the car was delivered. I never requested for interior vacuum nor was there a charge for the same. May be it was covered under labour.

8. The service team has done a thorough inspection on the AC issue and had nothing to report. I was worried if the compressor unit or any other hardware was to be replaced.

9. The average FE is around 14 KMPL in city and 21 KMPL on highways. My father is laid back driver so the JET saw no spirited driving in the past few years until my recent visit last month. How our driver treats the car in our absence is still a mystery.

10. The tires are completely worn out. Will be switching to the Michelin Primacy 3 ST’s soon.

11. I miss the felt lining on the door pockets. Every time the car drives on undulations, the hear bottles, coins and sunglasses rattle.

12. I had the pleasure of owning and driving both a 2.0 liter petrol and a diesel, fantastic engines and fantastic driving experience. No complaints here.

13. The back seat comfort of the car is fantastic! Long drives are always comfortable.

14. My mother, who is not a fan of sedans and their very low seating positions, complains every time she has to get out of the car. She never complained till date about the back seat comfort.

Below is the total breakdown of the service charges.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-1-2.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-2-2.jpg

VW has pampered us with a detailing kit during our recent visit. All the products included were the basic car care. They came in a fantastic packaging, very high on quality. Kit pictures below

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_0662.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-img_0664.jpg

A new VW workshop in town:

Hyderabad now has a total of three workshops, the latest workshop was setup in Kukatpally. (opp the Metro commercial store) Excuse me if this is stale news as I was not aware of this until recently. While this adds a lot of convince and options, I still recommend the workshops in Suchitra or Pransanthi Nagar as they tend to have all the senior technicians. I am big fan of the CRM, Mr. Jayanth at the Suchitra workshop. His attention to detail and his effectiveness in getting the work done was by far the best. However, since 2017 we no longer drop our car with him due to the long commute involved. The drivers from that workshop are also hesitant to pickup/drop the car for the same reason.

Fun fact - Most of the senior most VW technicians now work for BMW.

Detailing Update:

1. Regular followers on this thread know my passion for automotive detailing. Living in the US has helped me gain a lot of awareness around this topic. While I don’t call myself as an expert, I am now quite aware of the detailing jargon.

2. The car is now primarily maintained and driven by two people who have no care or consideration for the quality of the paint. There are quite happy as long as the car looks neat and tidy. These gentlemen are none other than my father and our driver. My heart sank when I saw the car filled with swirls marks and sub par reflections.

3. While I am aware of the protection a Ceramic coat adds to the car, I decided not to opt for it as the pricing here is just ridiculous and the detailer claims are overpromising with a lot of terms and conditions. (No offense to any of the detailers here on the forum)

4. Ceramic coats require minimum maintenance for the coating to last for more than a year. The coatings will not last any longer than 6 months in Indian conditions without proper maintenance.

5. I was looking for a maintenance free option (no hassle or headache to the primary drivers of the car) and opted for an exterior Japanese so called glass coating and complete Interior detailing. The total damages were around 22k.

6. The Glass coating is by a brand named ‘Kisho’ and comes with a 3 year warranty. The warranty includes a re-application as the effectiveness of the coating dies down. A legit warranty card is handed over to us during delivery. The plan is to get the car detailed once a year for the next three years.

7. The coating itself is exactly similar to all the other coats, it bonds to the paint and the super slippery water beading effect is apparent. Only time would tell the durability of the coating. The dust removal after the coating was a breeze!

8. The car would be covered with a car cover daily and maintained by a driver so the paint correction is expected to be ruined starting from Day 3 but I won’t be breaking a sweat over it. Once a year is good enough.

Detailing Center Review:

Glitz Car Spa
In-orbit Mall, Madhapur
POC - Raj Gopal

We have a long affiliation with this place. My father is a regular cash wash client here and the owner, Mr. Raj Gopal takes special car for our car and hence decided to avail their other services. I will not be giving any biased opinions just because we are regular here. Feel free to drop my name as referral but go through the below before you do.

Will I recommend this place? YES and NO

YES:

If you are someone who is okay with an above average paint correction (not visible to most eyes) and want a cheaper alternative to expensive ceramic coatings then this place is for you.

NO:

If you are someone who is very particular about every swirl on your car, do not mind a inexperienced minimum wage worker handling your car’s paint and you are not willing to spend your time and patience by guiding the workers on the paint correction process then this place is not for you. Here are a few other annoyances

1. They do not come under the passionate detailers category. Attention to detail is zero.

2. The place is located in a mall parking with no closed sheets or doors to the coating area. Dusty environment.

3. The pads and products used are just okay. I was not happy or satisfied with the response given when I asked them how they maintain their pads.

4. I was annoyed by the fact that only two microfibers were used on the entire car. No high quality polishing microfibers were used while buffing the glass coating.

5. Paint correction is just above average but depends on the experience of the worker. I had the most experience person working on my vehicle.

6. The coating claims are BS. It’s a glass coating but they claim it to be a Ceramic Coat. The person applying the coating needs more practice. I had to take over the coating application for a few panels.

7. Contrary to the exterior, the interior job was fantastic! My obsessed brain could still find some flaws but really great work here. The wheel and engine bay detailing was also very well done.

I did not have the patience or the time to do enough research on the new detailing centers in Hyd. The only other place closed to where we stay is 3M. Both the places have workers with only above average paint correction skills. My only reason for picking this spot for a premium coating is it’s cheaper, easier to commute and comes with the three year warranty/maintenance.

I have seen the paint correction at the more expensive centers like “Always Dry” and “Ceramic Pro” and their level of work is just mind blowing! The products and machines used are all the latest detailer tech. However, I will not be spending that kind of money on a coating. I would rather do it myself.

Time for some pictures

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-11.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-22.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-33.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-44.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-55.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-6.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-7.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-8.jpg
Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-9.jpg

A note of 3M Hyper Shield Coating:

I happened to look into the 3M version of the ceramic coats. Below are the details

1. Hyper Shield Coating has been renamed to ‘Power Protect’ or something on the similar lines. (I apologize for my poor memory)

2. For a premium sedan like Jetta and equivalent, the cost is 27k.

3. 3M takes care of the maintenance and the car has to taken to them every quarter. The warranty protection claims are for 1 year.

4. Always Dry packages provide a re-coat for a maximum of 2 panels but no such services are provided at 3M

5. All the above information was provided by the 3M center at Madhapur.

If you have come this far, I thank you for all your patience!

Last edited by Amarendranath : 10th December 2018 at 02:00.
Amarendranath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 02:21   #293
BANNED

Quote:
It’s been a while since I updated the thread.
Wow. Nice update Amar.

That passion, attention to detail for detailing and maintenance, I just can't forget. Still, remember those good old days when you taught me stuff related to detailing and made me buy those 3 brushes for AC vents cleaning and alloy wheel cleaning.

Seeing the car I remembered our first trip to Warangal Fort on your Jetta.

Quote:
With a recent addition of a Jazz CVT to our garage
Congratulations.
Old 10th December 2018, 09:23   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wow. Nice update Amar.

That passion, attention to detail for detailing and maintenance, I just can't forget. Still, remember those good old days when you taught me stuff related to detailing and made me buy those 3 brushes for AC vents cleaning and alloy wheel cleaning.
I hope you are putting those brushes to good use Congratulations on your new Creta!

Quote:
Seeing the car I remembered our first trip to Warangal Fort on your Jetta.
Wish we could get together for another trip. Unfortunately, I was in Hyderabad only for a week. I look forward to doing something similar on my next visit.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Thank you! I will write up a new thread when I can
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks