Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 21:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
The cluster staging also was not available. The software there are using at the workshop is quite different from what I had seen on YouTube. According to Anvar the VCD software is not official and if those features are activated else where and get detected in the official software being used, it may void the warranty. Not sure if the information given by him is legit. Huge disappointment as i was really looking forward to get few tweaks done. IS this true that the VCD hacks void warranty?
Anvar is giving wrong info. You can enable cluster staging, etc and it does not voids warranty.

Many people remap their car making their Jetta belt out 177 Bhp, that doesn't voids warranty how can few features do it.

Basically VAS machine at workshop may only be having few features unlocked. You would need to get hold of a VCDS wherein you can enable it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 21:44   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Many people remap their car making their Jetta belt out 177 Bhp, that doesn't voids warranty how can few features do it.

Basically VAS machine at workshop may only be having few features unlocked. You would need to get hold of a VCDS wherein you can enable it.
Buddy a remap most certainly does void warranty, but only when detected.

As for the other features enabled through VCDS, how can features already built into the car void warranty? Lol these service people say anything voids warranty if they do not know about it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 22:32   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Won't the ECU record the number of times it has been flashed? If they have a record of the numbers of flashing done then it will get detected and eventually loose out on warranty.

I may be wrong though.

Anurag.
Old 10th May 2014, 22:44   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Won't the ECU record the number of times it has been flashed? If they have a record of the numbers of flashing done then it will get detected and eventually loose out on warranty.

I may be wrong though.

Anurag.
There are multiple ways to detect it. Honestly I'm not too familiar with ECU workings or protocols so I can't really comment on it.

But lets just say that for a normal service where just a diagnostic scan is done it is generally never detected. This is because the technicians never look further into the system to try and detect anything amiss unless the diagnostics has some error.

For cars like BMWs in which the diagnostic is always online connected to the manufacturers server there is a chance it may be detected even for a regular service. Then again it may not, this is what I've been told though.

Also when there is major engine trouble in which data has to be sent to the manufacturer for further analysis then it is likely to be detected and the warranty will be void. I'm not too sure that even flashing it back to the stock map before will help.

I guess with a remap we are taking a calculated risk. It depends on the tuner, and how the car is driven, in which case a remapped car can be as reliable as stock too and you will never have engine issues.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 23:00   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Also when there is major engine trouble in which data has to be sent to the manufacturer for further analysis then it is likely to be detected and the warranty will be void. I'm not too sure that even flashing it back to the stock map before will help.
No point there to flash the ECU with stock setup before going for servicing as the number will increase giving an information to the ASC , if they can understand.

Quote:
I guess with a remap we are taking a calculated risk. It depends on the tuner, and how the car is driven, in which case a remapped car can be as reliable as stock too and you will never have engine issues.
+1. Remaps do good but it is the point of the owner to maintain and run the car better than standard ones. But no ones drives slowly on a remapped car.

Anurag.
Old 11th May 2014, 00:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Anvar is giving wrong info. You can enable cluster staging, etc and it does not voids warranty. Basically VAS machine at workshop may only be having few features unlocked. You would need to get hold of a VCDS wherein you can enable it.
Absolutely! I laughed it out on his face when he said that, arguing with him didn't benefit much. He somehow wanted to make sure i would walk way from the workshop without demanding much. Now this search for a VCD will be a tedious task.

Quote:
As for the other features enabled through VCDS, how can features already built into the car void warranty? Lol these service people say anything voids warranty if they do not know about it.
I had a decent argument with him on the same lines. He doesn't seem to know anything at all about the VCD's. A revamp may or may not void warranty but features i was dead sure wont, till he argued back they will.
Old 11th May 2014, 11:46   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No point there to flash the ECU with stock setup before going for servicing as the number will increase giving an information to the ASC , if they can understand.

+1. Remaps do good but it is the point of the owner to maintain and run the car better than standard ones. But no ones drives slowly on a remapped car.

Anurag.
As Akshay said, a remap most definitely voids warranty. But for this it needs to be detected. The VAS system that VW and Skoda ASCs use for diagnostics does not detect whether the car is remapped. Its only if there is a major warrantly claim for engine or drive train related components that they will dig deeper and try to detect if any parameters were altered. Most tuners offer free revert to stock map if we want to make warranty claims . But yeah they will be able to detect that the ECU was flashed very recently and may cry foul. Its worth a shot since with the remapped ECU there's no way they will entertain you.

You don't have to drive a remapped car 'pedal to the metal' all the time. You can drive it like a normal car at most times. The remap gives you access to extra reserves of power when you feel like having some fun. In fact a lot of tuners advise owners not to red line the engine excessively or floor the throttle for extended periods as it is puts more stress on the engine and mechanicals than what it was originally designed for.
Old 11th May 2014, 20:22   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

You don't have to drive a remapped car 'pedal to the metal' all the time. You can drive it like a normal car at most times. The remap gives you access to extra.
I agree with you buddy but I meant that people will have the 'remapped feel' in the bank of their mind and would need to have a lot of strength to keep the accelerator in control.

OT:
The other issue I have seen is smoking. The stock setup doesn't smoke but remapped ones smoke all the time.

Anurag.
Old 15th May 2014, 00:04   #69
BHPian

It was a peak traffic hour. After the construction of Metro Rail has started in Hyderabad. the definition of traffic Jams should be given a new definition. The area i live in is well known for pathetic traffic jams. The construction hoarding that have been put up are further adding up to frustration. A Scorpio gentlemen, in a hurry to reach his destination tries to over take us bumps onto us. The SUV's these days are heavily guarded with chrome bars. Even our XUV has those chrome rails onto the side. Hoping for the best i get down to check the damage. Was shocked to see that those bars did create a ding on the door. Seeing that I transform into a 6ft tall animal and blast the bells out of him. I was in no mood to let it go. I was at crawling speeds and this mahashai comes directly onto us and bangs into the door. After finally realizing that i was indeed a human and calming down, the first thing that pops to my brain was what iliketurtles said "Boni Ho gaya". Luckily for us it was just a small ding and could be easily removed.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo-11.jpg
The dent is not visible in this angle, it was a little deep and the depression could be felt.

A quick workshop and visit and the Dent was removed. They used some rubbing compound and sand paper to even out the surface and the car is as good as new. I hadnt been to the workshop so my guess they used those vacuum cups to pull out the ding. Did a quick wash with ONR ( spray and wipe) and the shine from that product was amazing. A big thank you to My Guru el lobo 6061 for all the tips he had given me. I have finally decided on the set of products that i shall order. Will post the procedure i plan to do in a separate post. I will definitely get the cquartz finite from the UD guys and am willing to drive down to b'lore for this. Untill that happens i shall maintain the car with all the information gathered from the detailing guru's on this community.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo.jpg

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo-22.jpg
After the dent has been removed.

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!-photo-32.jpg

Last edited by Amarendranath : 15th May 2014 at 00:10.
Old 15th May 2014, 00:15   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Luckily for us it was just a small ding and could be easily removed.
Good that the dent was small enough and could be easily removed. Such instances kill the joy of ownership till the parts are restored to original. Happy for you and the car that our is back on track.

BTW, are you planning to get the 3M PPF for your car? I advice you to get it done for the door edges and handle recess. These two areas are prone to scratches. I have done it for my Swift, was charged Rs 1500. We can plan a 3M (Madhapur one) meet as I have a outstanding visit pending.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th May 2014 at 00:16.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 00:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Such instances kill the joy of ownership till the parts are restored to original. Happy for you and the car that our is back on track.
You are right. I never imagined that I would lose my cool on that guy. He had to get it. I was really happy with the end result. It looks as if nothing had happened.

Quote:

BTW, are you planning to get the 3M PPF for your car? I advice you to get it done for the door edges and handle recess. These two areas are prone to scratches. I have done it for my Swift, was charged Rs 1500. We can plan a 3M (Madhapur one) meet as I have a outstanding visit pending.

Anurag.

Sure thing! The area below the handles are a lot of scratches. I guess they will removes those and install the film. Any idea how much will the film cost for bumpers and ORVM? Let's plan and make a visit.
Old 15th May 2014, 02:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations busy for the VW Jetta and by far the best looking colour on the car.

Suits it well but isn't it a pain to maintain it?

Happy long mile munching with the Tempest.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 02:59   #73
BHPian

Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Congratulations busy for the VW Jetta and by far the best looking colour on the car.
Suits it well but isn't it a pain to maintain it?
Happy long mile munching with the Tempest.

Thank you Ecosport Rules! Maintaining it is quite a task. As tedious as a black color. That said every time I look at it, nothing else comes to my mind. Doing my best to make u guys drool over it as we'll.

I was a silent follower of your thread for a long time! Kudos to you on all the mods you have done to the car. There was a time when I wanted an Ecosport but not with all those mods that you car had. I remember seeing you on the jubilee hills road opposite to cream stone on feb 14th night at around 11:30pm. All of us from Hyd shall meet soon. Let's plan it guys.
Old 15th May 2014, 07:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Ecosport Rules! Maintaining it is quite a task. As tedious as a black color. That said every time I look at it, nothing else comes to my mind. Doing my best to make u guys drool over it as we'll.
I agree. The very color makes you forget everything and just makes you gaze at it continuously. A very beautiful shade of blue chosen by VW for the Jetta. Kudos to them and you for choosing it.

Quote:
I was a silent follower of your thread for a long time! Kudos to you on all the mods you have done to the car. There was a time when I wanted an Ecosport but not with all those mods that you car had.
Thank you for your kind words.

Yup, let's plan a meet soon.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 07:58   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Ecosport Rules! Maintaining it is quite a task. As tedious as a black color. That said every time I look at it, nothing else comes to my mind.
I can vouch for it and fully agree with you on this. This shade of blue takes toll on us for maintaining it but one look at it makes us for get everything. I am in total love with the Blue colour on my Swift so I can understand how you feel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
A very beautiful shade of blue chosen by VW for the Jetta. Kudos to them and you for choosing it.
+1.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed