Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 00:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post

me : The outside OVRMs make a noise when closing and opening.

S.A(Finally goes to the car and checks): That's the sound of the motor.
So did they solve the issue with the ORVMs? If yes, how?

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 22nd July 2014 at 00:25.
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:58   #47
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
So did they solve the issue with the ORVMs? If yes, how?
No! He said the sound is normal! I'm going to get some silicon spray today. Let's see if that works.
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No! He said the sound is normal! I'm going to get some silicon spray today. Let's see if that works.
Don't waste time and money. Tell them to record a video and send it to the factory and get an official resolution. That's what i am going for at least.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:43   #49
BHPian

Joe you could try Global tyres on bypass road opposite to Pete's detailing centre. They have the most updated values for the latest cars as far as I've seen. Did my Yeti wheel alignment there after fitting bilsteins and they did have proper figures for Yeti. Hopefully you will get a proper alignment check there. The guy there said they update the car list frequently. May be you already tried them. I just saw your thread today.

Regarding A.S.S., its just the warranty that makes us go back to them. Even I used to give my car and wait there itself. You just cant rely on them. I would prefer getting my car serviced from professional places like Pete's as I don't have to worry about warranty issues anymore.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anurag. NewBharath Pitstop is one of the best in Cochin AFAIK. But just to be sure, I'm going to try somewhere else.
joe, try DBS at Edapally for all wheel related issues. I frequent that place and their service is top notch.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...bs-cochin.html

Good to see you keeping things light with regard to service. Maybe that's the way to keep enjoying these amazing cars.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
The car just crossed 8800 kms, on it's second Coorg trip. It was raining during 90% of the 900 km round trip. The Goodyears have more than adequate grip in the wet as well as in slush/dirt. Braking is good too. except for the wear, I'm happy with it.

The display always show an average mileage of 16.5-17 kmpl but when calculated on a tank full to tank full basis, it's around 14.5-15 kmpl. Still pretty good considering the terrain.

The 7500 km check up was done a week before the trip. I went to the service centre with zero expectations but was still disappointed I bet only Skoda can manage that.

This was my first visit to a Skoda service centre. I showed up at 9am sharp as per the appointment. The Marikar Skoda service centre in Kalamassery is a sorry sight, especially the reception and customer area. The receptionist promptly directed me to the service advisor at the first desk. I wasn't expecting any miracles but was hoping to get some clarification about the minor issues I was having. This is the conversation that followed:
Service advisor (trying his best to avoid any eye contact): Any complaints?

me: Yes, the tires on the left seems to be wearing out faster than the ones on the right. Is this normal?

S.A : No.

me : When in auto mode the front windshield is fogging up after the rains.

S.A : That's because the compressor is very powerful.

me (Trying hard not to laugh): Didn't some of the Lauras have the same complaint?

S.A mumbles something I couldn't understand.

me : The outside OVRMs make a noise when closing and opening.

S.A(Finally goes to the car and checks): That's the sound of the motor.

me : Is the front mud flaps available?

S.A (looks at the car surprised): You got the car with only the rear ones? They come as a pair and costs 1800 Rs. The front ones are too stiff and will break easily. You should get the ones from Sparco. Those can be cut to the desired size. Do you need the car washed?

me (happy that all the problems got sorted out so fast): No thanks. When can I get the car back? I'll wait here.

S.A : The car should be ready in two hours.
After 1.5 hours another guy called and said the car was ready and gave me the gate pass and disappeared. The S.A who took my car was staring at the computer screen intensely. When asked where the car was, he pointed to the cars parked outside the reception. I went out and looked around but couldn't find the car anywhere. I ran out of patience at that point, came back in and gave the S.A an earful. That worked wonders. He ran out, went into the workshop and got the car out from behind another car.

Overall a wonderful experience. Thank you Skoda! And you wonder why your sales figures aren't on fire.

After reading Adi's first service experience, I'm glad I opted out of the car wash. If only I could opt out of the service altogether.
I warned of this at the beginning. You are actually lucky being a premium Octavia owner. Me being a poor fabia chap had it much worse than this.
Old 22nd July 2014, 18:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Joe you could try Global tyres on bypass road opposite to Pete's detailing centre.
Thanks Ajay. I've been to Global tires a couple of times but not with the Octavia. I'm still not sure it's irregular wear. The wear looks even on all the tires, just that the ones on the left are wearing out faster. Now I stopped looking at them every day.

Quote:
I would prefer getting my car serviced from professional places like Pete's as I don't have to worry about warranty issues anymore.
I wasn't aware Pete's did regular servicing too. Thanks for the info. With the DSG gearbox and the multitude of sensors, I'm not sure I want to run out of warranty anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
joe, try DBS at Edapally for all wheel related issues. I frequent that place and their service is top notch.
Thanks Deet. I've seen the place but never visited them. I'll check if they have the values for the new Octavia.

Quote:
Good to see you keeping things light with regard to service. Maybe that's the way to keep enjoying these amazing cars.
I find their lame explanations hilarious. Of Course if and when I have a serious issue with the car it's not going to be funny anymore but till then I'm going to enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I warned of this at the beginning. You are actually lucky being a premium Octavia owner. Me being a poor fabia chap had it much worse than this.
I don't think they care if the customer owns a Fabia or a Superb. I was expecting the service to be really bad but this was an enlightening experience. I think the staff there has no incentive for offering a good service. They behave like they are not even paid their salaries. They even look depressed.

I did get a call from Marikar motors two days after the service. They wanted to know if everything is ok. I told them the car is excellent but can't say the same about the service centre. She apologised and said they are shifting the service centre to the dealership itself and it should be ready in 3 months. Let's wait and see.
Old 24th July 2014, 13:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like nearly all Octavia's share this issue. Mine makes the noise too and everytime I show it to them they spray a lubricant on it but it returns in one or two days. Guess will just have to live with it.
Old 24th July 2014, 14:43   #54
BANNED

Quote:
I'm still not sure it's irregular wear. The wear looks even on all the tires, just that the ones on the left are wearing out faster.

Not looking at them everyday is not the solution. Right?!

But any answer from Skoda or Global tires?

Anurag.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:25   #55
BHPian

I went to DBS tires yesterday to get a second opinion. They had the values for the new Octavia, and only toe adjustment is possible for the front. Camber cannot be adjusted! And there's nothing to adjust for the rear. So if there's any adjustment needed other than front toes, the dealer is the only option I hope that's not true.

They checked the tires, recommended alignment and tire rotation. They weren't happy to see the goodyears either. The technician warned me that it's going to get noisy after around 15k kms. The tires are more likely to get saw tooth wear. Awesome!

I asked them about the extra wear on the left side. He confirmed that for vehicles that frequent ghat roads, the left tires wear faster especially on the outside. His explanation was that we usually corner harder towards the right, in the case of right hand drive vehicles. Makes sense I guess.

Toe was off and was corrected.

My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-octavia-dbs.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Thanks a ton for the DBS recommendation Deet. They are absolutely fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Not looking at them everyday is not the solution. Right?!

But any answer from Skoda or Global tires?
Apparently not. While I wasn't looking, the inner was wearing out fast. The guys at DBS are a knowledgeable lot and they did the needful.

Last edited by joethomasv : 1st August 2014 at 12:32.
Old 1st August 2014, 13:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I went to DBS tires yesterday to get a second opinion. They had the values for the new Octavia, and only toe adjustment is possible for the front. Camber cannot be adjusted! And there's nothing to adjust for the rear. So if there's any adjustment needed other than front toes, the dealer is the only option I hope that's not true.
Many tyre alignment centres have told me the same about Yeti's adjustments. And I kept wondering how could that be possible. In Kochi I haven't tried many, but Global was one such place where they did proper alignment adjustments front and rear. I guess not all places have the competent staff to do it.
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:26   #57
BHPian

I take back all that I've said about DBS tires.
My Skoda Octavia Ambition, TDI DSG-alloydamagedbs.jpg
All four alloys were either dented or scratched by them while reversing the tires. I noticed it only today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Many tyre alignment centres have told me the same about Yeti's adjustments. And I kept wondering how could that be possible. In Kochi I haven't tried many, but Global was one such place where they did proper alignment adjustments front and rear. I guess not all places have the competent staff to do it.
Thanks Ajay. I'll pay them a visit soon. Let's see what they've to say about it.
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I take back all that I've said about DBS tires.
All four alloys were either dented or scratched by them while reversing the tires. I noticed it only today.
, i wonder how alignment shops with good equipment can even afford to do such silly mistakes. I had same nicks on my Vento's alloys thanks to me going for reversing front 2 tyres from a nearby tyre shop and not to the guy who ususally does tyre jobs on our cars.

When i washed the car next day, there were multiple scratches like these and the edges on one alloy were completely scratched, had a can of silver com-paint and filled in the marks with it.
Call DBS tyres, talk to the owner and tell him about this so he does not spoil other's cars as well.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Does the Octavia Ambition get electric boot release, or the key on the remote just unlocks the boot but not release it. I have a low roof garage and I'm a little concerned if the button on the remote actually releases the boot.
Old 4th August 2014, 07:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

Call DBS tyres, talk to the owner and tell him about this so he does not spoil other's cars as well.

I'm going to do just that.

I'm going to try and get a matching shade and do some DIY. The wheels in the picture needs to be levelled before they can be painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Does the Octavia Ambition get electric boot release, or the key on the remote just unlocks the boot but not release it. I have a low roof garage and I'm a little concerned if the button on the remote actually releases the boot.

Don't worry, the boot won't open by itself. The remote and the boot release switch on the hatch only unlocks the latch. It only slightly raises the hatch door.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks