Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 20:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value

Killer alloys you got there. Awesome pick. They have single handedly changed the whole look and mood of the car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 13:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

There is a setting for "Surround sound" or "Power bass" (I don't remember correctly) and individual control for Bass, Mid and Treble in the sound setup. In addition, putting the fader towards front (+1 or +2) - both these settings help improve the sound quality tremendously and at par with the OEM system of Swift and certainly better than that of Amaze. I personally did not find any reason to upgrade the system after tinkering with the settings.
Thank you so much. I did not know there are sound settings for the OEM system and I was actually considering a speaker upgrade. After reading your post I immediately went and tinkered with the settings and the results are excellent!! You saved almost 10k of mine .
Old 31st May 2014, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Those are really nice looking alloys
Any reasons for skipping safety features like ABS and Airbags?
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
There is no particular reason for skipping these features. As I mentioned earlier, the Ritz was the primary car in the family and we had guests coming over from abroad and we needed a car to ferry them around, hence needed a car immediately. This was the only piece in stock after enquiring with several dealers and hence went ahead with the purchase process. However, to compensate the absence of ABS and Airbags to an extent, I did make sure that I add wider tyres for better braking and handling.

Since I mentioned tyres, I must mention that Yokohama Earth1 are fantastic value for money and are very much similar to Michelin XM2+ in most aspects. However, they are not as silent as XM2+ and also tend to squeal on hard cornering which the XM2+s never did. Having said that, I would definitely recommend these for anyone who is looking for wider rubber at a bargain compared to Michelin XM2+.

Last edited by S2!!! : 31st May 2014 at 23:01.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 23:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Thank you so much. I did not know there are sound settings for the OEM system and I was actually considering a speaker upgrade. After reading your post I immediately went and tinkered with the settings and the results are excellent!! You saved almost 10k of mine .
Glad i could be of help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
No offence, samfromindia, but i do feel that its a matter of personal choice and it should not become a regular affair to question anyone who has not gone with a car with ABS or Airbags. I have seen this many times on this forum when a person puts up ownership review of a non-ABS cars, and almost always someone or the other puts up the question of "WHY not".

I myself did not go for ABS and Airbags in my car. I know it won't be to many's taste here, but i have my reasoning and logic. But let us not force our thinking on everyone. It might be that the reason you consider as valid does not hold good for me, or vice-versa. So there is no point discussing airbags and ABS in every ownership thread.

No offence again, but just my 2 cents.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 10:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I know it won't be to many's taste here, but i have my reasoning and logic.
Well my friend my question was to understand your reasoning and logic like speedy delivery in this case. Why are you getting defensive about not owning one.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:02   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car !
I had a hearty laugh when I read one of the first comments about an arranged marriage.
The wheels look great Definitely the best looking Gi10 that I have seen. Good decision to go in for wider rubber.
I did think about it, but didn't want to risk any sort of trouble later on. I felt the ride and stuff was okay for me for the time being. Didn't want to experiment. Maybe when this set wears out and based on your feedback over time, I shall consider it more seriously.
How do you find the headlights? And have you done anything about the horn? My dealer was least interested in upgrading the horn for me. Shall explore some aftermarket alternatives.
Could you share some pictures of the armrest which you have fitted?
It's probably not necessary with new cars nowadays, but I have been following a 1000km/2.5K run in. I am 150 kms shy of a thousand and I couldn't hold back today. I gunned it till 3.5k. Thank god, it makes a nice sound
Please do keep this thread active. Wish you many safe miles in your new car.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post

How do you find the headlights? And have you done anything about the horn?
Thank you for those flattering words. The headlights are quite weak for highway runs and I tend to use high beam quite often to see the road ahead. Within city limits they are adequate though

Regarding the horn, the lesser said the better. I avoid using it as the sound is really embarassing and is too soft. Guess more manufacturers should provide such horns to disuade people from honking...lol

Shall post pics of the armrest soon.
Old 9th June 2014, 22:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

1500km update

The Grand has munched 1500kms of road and I thought I shall report a few observations.

The Good:

Even though the car is driven on the worst of roads Mumbai throws at it, there is not a single rattle or squeak inside the cabin. This speaks volumes of how well the car is screwed together, especially because I don't exactly pamper the car over bad sections of the road.

1,800-3000 RPM is where the car feels the zippiest and the light clutch and slick gearbox makes driving it relaxing.

I am getting decent fuel economy of 11.5-12kmpl in the city and ~15kmpl on the highway.

The sound from the stock audio system is quite nice. A big THANKS to DCEite for bringing up the sound setting option to my notice. The OEM audio system has speed sensitive volume adjustment too!!!

The various storage areas in the car are actually very useful, something I missed in the Ritz.

The Bad:

Each time I reach a speed-breaker on an incline, I am forced to downshift to 1st gear as the car refuses to clear the bump in 2nd gear.

With 5 adults and luggage, the car is reluctant to climb slopes as well and all it does is whine and rev without actually moving briskly. Revving beyond 4k is quite a waste as the engine gets quite vocal but the RPM needle moves at a very slow pace even on full throttle. The Suzuki K-series motor performed brilliantly comparatively.

Lastly, the stability of the car is compromised by its light weight and cross winds tend to unsettle it at 3 digit speeds. It is best driven at speeds <100kmph.

My next update shall be after the first service which is due in the coming week.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 11:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you share some pictures of the armrest which you have fitted?
So a couple of days after your request for more pics of the armrest, a valet (with unreal talent) managed to rip apart the armrest right from its very base. It does require some skill to do such a thing but unfortunately for me after this incident I have lost the comfort of my armrest.

In other news, just got my Grand i10 serviced for the very first time. It was merely a wash and I wasn't billed a rupee. However, the service centre was a huge disappointment especially when compared to Maruti's Vitesse (which I have been using as a benchmark). The staff was almost inexistent, cars were parked/ serviced on the main road itself and the service centre was shared with a regular/ local garage. Thank you Hyundai for keeping the service intervals at 12 months - resulting in lesser visits.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
So a couple of days after your request for more pics of the armrest, a valet (with unreal talent) managed to rip apart the armrest right from its very base. It does require some skill to do such a thing but unfortunately for me after this incident I have lost the comfort of my armrest.

In other news, just got my Grand i10 serviced for the very first time. It was merely a wash and I wasn't billed a rupee. However, the service centre was a huge disappointment especially when compared to Maruti's Vitesse (which I have been using as a benchmark). The staff was almost inexistent, cars were parked/ serviced on the main road itself and the service centre was shared with a regular/ local garage. Thank you Hyundai for keeping the service intervals at 12 months - resulting in lesser visits.
That's sad to hear. I am currently still looking around for an armrest. A final year Automotive Engineer friend of mine wanted to take a look under the hood, and that's when we noticed how far back the horn is in the engine bay. Usually, it's behind the bumper or the fog light level in other cars. On top of that, it's a single unit and not a dual horn. I've decided I am going to get the horn changed from Reliance one of these days.

I also realised the speakers are really small. Would you know how what the size of the speakers are? The front ones looked no bigger than 4 inches to me and the rear ones must be the same . The sound is fine, doesn't warrant an upgrade for the time being, for me atleast. Since, I have the fader set more towards the front, invariably people ask me why I didn't get rear speakers fitted.

I am going to finish my third tankful of petrol. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular and it seems rightly so. Will share exact figures soon.

I had given my car for it's first service on Friday. Even my bill was zero. It was just a wash and a very very generous use of dashboard shiner.
I have been to only one service centre in my last 3+ years of driving, the same place I used to take my old car to. It is quite a good service station, plenty of space spread over 3-4 levels.
In the last ~2 months since purchase Hyundai has called me a couple of times. For feedback on buying experience, delivery and service. I don't know if this is at the dealer level or from Hyundai's side. You could share your feedback with them and goes without saying,please do find a better service centre.

Also, wanted to ask have you had any paint treatment done? My car has been keyed on the bonnet, and during a dust storm about two weeks back a branch from a tree fell on my moving car and scraped my bonnet, left fender, left front door and left side of the roof. Got it rubbed, but some of the medium scratches couldn't be removed. I don't know how to get this fixed. Hyundai recommended me to get a Teflon coating done !?!?!?. I am planning to enquire at 3M.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I myself did not go for ABS and Airbags in my car. I know it won't be to many's taste here, but i have my reasoning and logic.
It is a statistically proven fact that airbags and ABS save lives, so I would really like to hear your side of the story if you are interested in telling it here.

On a lighter note and without causing offence, may I say that your statement reminds me of a smoker defending his habit? "I know smoking kills, but I have my reasoning and logic."
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
My purchase of the Grand i10 is a decision made using the head and till date there is not a single day which has gone by where I have been emotionally connected to the car.
Reading your review has made me reconsider my decision to purchase a Grand i10. Well technically it is my in-laws replacing my wife's six year old Santro, and I am just the unpaid consultant doing all the legwork.

I own a Polo myself, and though it is my first car and I am not what you would call a "petrolhead", I have realized in a year of owning it that you can fall in love with your car. So the prospect of buying a car and not being able to form an emotional attachment to it is, to put it mildly, unpalatable.

I have almost finalized the Grand i10 for the usual reason:
  • It ticks all the boxes and then some.
  • It is just about within our budget.
  • I can't think of any other options. Both my wife and I are not big fans of Maruti Suzuki cars, which doesn't leave too many other options in the 5-5.5L range.

I have still not taken a test drive or even sat inside one, so the decision is not FINAL. Let us see how it goes...

PS: Oh and btw, mine is an arranged marriage, but the bond that my wife and I share could put a "love marriage" couple to shame.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The sound is fine, doesn't warrant an upgrade for the time being, for me atleast. Since, I have the fader set more towards the front, invariably people ask me why I didn't get rear speakers fitted.
Yup faced the same question by people sitting in the back seat. I am quite happy with the sound quality and am not planning an upgrade any time soon.

Quote:
I am going to finish my third tankful of petrol. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular and it seems rightly so. Will share exact figures soon.
My Grand returns 11.5 kmpl consistently which is very decent as it is driven by 3 members of my family with different styles of driving.

Quote:

Also, wanted to ask have you had any paint treatment done? My car has been keyed on the bonnet, and during a dust storm about two weeks back a branch from a tree fell on my moving car and scraped my bonnet, left fender, left front door and left side of the roof. Got it rubbed, but some of the medium scratches couldn't be removed. I don't know how to get this fixed. Hyundai recommended me to get a Teflon coating done !?!?!?. I am planning to enquire at 3M.
Ohh that is really sad and the scratches must be glaringly visible on your shiny black car. I haven't got any treatment done, hence cannot really help or recommend what you may do. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Reading your review has made me reconsider my decision to purchase a Grand i10.
The Grand is a perfect city car with more positives than negatives. If the primary purpose of this car is going to be city driving, you may not get anything better at this price point. The Grand i10's sheer value proposition makes all other cars feel overpriced.

The reason I can not connect with the car is that I had hoped for it to be more sporty and more involving to drive which it is not. But as a commuter vehicle it is absolutely fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
PS: Oh and btw, mine is an arranged marriage, but the bond that my wife and I share could put a "love marriage" couple to shame.
Wish you many many more years of a successful marriage.

Last edited by S2!!! : 25th June 2014 at 16:23.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 18:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Living with the car

Well, over time my perception towards the car has changed and I am kind of getting fond of this little hatchback. The car has clocked almost 2,200 kms, 90% of which is comprised of city commuting.

I thought I'd pen down some of my observations over the time.

The front of the car looks unmistakably Hyundai, carrying the family face. However, it still manages to have its own distinct identity. The narrow eyes, open mouth kinda-look gives it a really aggressive face.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0378.jpg

IMO, the front 3/4 view is the best angle to view the car.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0388.jpg

I absolutely am in love with these alloys. However, this kind of design seems to be the new fad and I have noticed this, or a similar design on many cars lately. The Yoko Earth1 tyres have been performing well and provide good grip while taking curves at speeds.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0320.jpg

The back view is, inoffensive.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0370.jpg

The high waistline and the black door strip does add some character to the otherwise bland rear 3/4 view.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0392.jpg

Step inside and the interiors ooze quality for a car of this price. The colour combination, chrome accents, blue backlights, etc are all very welcoming and make you feel very nice. The controls are logically laid out and everything is easy to reach = good job Hyundai!
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0323.jpg

The dials are easy to read and glow during the day and have a very soothing blue backlight during the night.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0424.jpg

The steering feel is still far from precise. It does have a vague nature at dead centre position but is well weighted otherwise. The wheel is nice to hold and the material is nice to touch. One grouse I have is that the horn is a little too far to reach, and my mother does complain that she has to lift her hand off the wheel to honk.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0342.jpg

The pedals are well spaced out and the clutch is noticeably light. However, the brake still has some crazy level of bite and it does take some time to get used to.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0345.jpg

The gearbox is slick and precise. It makes changing gears enjoyable. The music system is too soft for my liking and lacks bass. The rear speakers are too soft and rear passengers often question me of their existence.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0333.jpg

The AC ain't a chiller like the Maruti Ritz' unit but is good enough. It keeps the car cool and I have never felt the need for a climate controlled unit.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0419.jpg

The indicator stalks feel solid but I really miss the lane changing option. Even the Ritz hand it.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0313.jpg

The headlights are almost triangular. I noticed it while clicking 'em today. I drive with my fogs on at most occasions at night and use the headlights mainly for flashing. However, the low beams are just about adequate within city limits where roads are lit. On highways, an upgrade would be recommended.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0318.jpg

The overall visibility is very good. The ORVMs are nicely designed and their folding/ unfolding dramatics on locking/ unlocking is really cool.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0421.jpg

Boot space is, umm, decent enough. 60:40 rear seats are sorely missed.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0404.jpg

The engine is responsive beyond 1,800 RPM and pulls well. Although it gets breathless beyond 5,000 RPM. To sum it up, the mid range is nice. The torque at lower RPMs is quite sad and it doesn't pull on inclines effortlessly. The Ritz K12M unit was much better in this aspect.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0408.jpg

Lastly, knee room and leg room at the rear is good. The central hump isn't as intrusive as much, but the middle row passenger's knee will tend to hit/ brush the rear ac vents, making it uncomfortable. Also, shoulder room for 3 is not good. The back seat is best for 2 adults.
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0407.jpg
My Hyundai Grand i10 1.2L Sportz - Unmatched Value-1dscn0400.jpg

P.S. I still haven't the seat plastics, so please excuse the poor illustration

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks