Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 23:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2L: My little black hatch

Congratulations for your Grand i10. It seems we both started the thread for the same car (different variant though) at almost the same time. However, I envy you as I really wanted a black car and quite contrary to what you think, I think that the chrome bits on the car enhance the aesthetic appeal of the car in the black shade and look super classy.

I too think that the doors unlocking every time the car is turned off is unnecessary but doors locking automatically at speeds beyond 20 kmph would have been nice, like the Marutis. A sunroof is sorely missed though.

Drive safe.
Old 1st June 2014, 11:55   #17
BHPian

Congrats and thanks for a very detailed initial ownership report. Look forward to frequent updates.

This car is in my list, when I return to India next month. But one point I noted with concern is its difficulty in pulling up the ramp (even not as well as Santro). I have a fairly steep ramp in my apartment building.
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:42   #18
BHPian

Thanks for writing such detailed review report!

Slightly off topic but for me, the most impressive thing in your buying process is how you set a mental limit of 6L and closed the sale within it. Considering your age, all around temptations and no particular compulsions, this is seriously good stuff...
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I too think that the doors unlocking every time the car is turned off is unnecessary but doors locking automatically at speeds beyond 20 kmph would have been nice, like the Marutis. Drive safe.
Here i would like to point out that this,doors not locking automatically and unlocking when engine is turned off, is actually a safety feature. Cars which have central locking rely on the battery and other electrical cables and stuff to lock and unlock the doors. Say in case of an accident, the engine will turn off and the doors will get automatically unlocked,which is what is required in such circumstances. I tend to keep my doors unlocked when im not in traffic because in case of an accident it will be easier for rescue. Locks only make sense when your at crawling speeds and someone might try to break into your car.
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
However today i pushed the seat all the way down for the first time, and it felt as if i am driving a different car altogether. Now my head was supported 100% by the backrest - i think this confirms that the seat base does move more compared the the base when tilted upwards.

However, i seem to be liking the low slung position more. The seats for some reason are feeling more supportive as far as side and thigh support is concerned in the lower positions. Also since i am 5'11 having no issues with the high set dashboard. I feel the only issue can be the high set clutch. It seems to be set a little higher compared to other cars i have driven. Will need to drive a few more kms to see how it goes.
Thanks for confirming this. Yes, I completely agree with you. I too have gotten used to driving with the drivers seat at the lowest level now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Congratulations for your Grand i10. It seems we both started the thread for the same car (different variant though) at almost the same time. However, I envy you as I really wanted a black car and quite contrary to what you think, I think that the chrome bits on the car enhance the aesthetic appeal of the car in the black shade and look super classy.

I too think that the doors unlocking every time the car is turned off is unnecessary but doors locking automatically at speeds beyond 20 kmph would have been nice, like the Marutis. A sunroof is sorely missed though.

Drive safe.
Thanks a lot! It does look great in black. The wait for the colour was totally worth it, I'm glad I didn't settle for a colour in stock. I wish Hyundai had made an additional 2% of effort and given auto-door locks, an mid and adjustable headrests.
All the best with your car too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Congrats and thanks for a very detailed initial ownership report. Look forward to frequent updates.

This car is in my list, when I return to India next month. But one point I noted with concern is its difficulty in pulling up the ramp (even not as well as Santro). I have a fairly steep ramp in my apartment building.
Thanks a lot and I do intend to keep this thread active.
I couldn't help draw comparisons between my old car and my new car. I wouldn't say the Grand i10 has difficulty pulling up basement ramps. My apartment ramp is a long straight one from ground level to -2. In the Santro Xing it felt a lot more effortless. Forget Gi10, even better than a City I-Vtec.
This is because, the Santro Xing had more low end grunt. Most of the newer hatches have weaker lower ends as compared to their earlier generation counterparts. On the plus side, mid range and mileage is better in the Gi10 and the newer hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Thanks for writing such detailed review report!
Slightly off topic but for me, the most impressive thing in your buying process is how you set a mental limit of 6L and closed the sale within it. Considering your age, all around temptations and no particular compulsions, this is seriously good stuff...
Thank you Shobhit. There were a lot of temptations no doubt, like imagining the kind of cars 6 lakhs could have got me in the used market. But, my needs and requirements were pretty set that way. Also, the Gi10 is a step up from my Santro Xing. I prefer to look at it like that.

Last edited by promit : 2nd June 2014 at 22:22.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 03:41   #21
BHPian

Congratulations Promit , the car looks stunning in black! Grand i10 is the petrol hatch i'd personally recommend to anyone within this price bracket , it looks reasonably good from the outside , the interiors have excellent quality and are put together really well , as far as performance is concerned , yes the modern petrols lack the low end grunt of your Santro , but the kappa 2 is at par with similarly specced petrol motors - The K12 from Maruti & 1.2 i-Vtec from Honda ,sounds great and doesn't mind being revved , refinement levels are excellent too. Overall a great package and should serve you well for a long long time!

P.S- The Black color is a pain to maintain and having a black Cruze in the family i can tell that no matter what you do , even the smallest of scratches show their ugly face on this color.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Have had the car for about 3 and a half months. The odometer stands at 2150 kms right now. Absolutely running like a dream.

My tiny san disk pen drive, slipped into the gap in the handbrake console when the handbrake was engaged. I burned a CD and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality when listening to CD's. A friend of mine pointed out, the ICE doesn't have a pause button.

I had my first service in the middle of June. It was just a wash. Hyundai is mad about service feedback, they really get after you.

I got to sit in the back seat while my friends drove for 50 kms. It's not very spacious but by compact hatchback standards, it is good enough. The adjustable rear head rests and ac vent make the rear seat a decent place to be.

I have read in various other threads which talk about the Gi10/Xcent's drivers seats being comfortable, I couldn't believe it. I used to think the drivers seats were design flaws. I think it's because of the art leather seat covers I had installed by the dealer, which have a not so great fit.

As for fuel efficiency so far,
  • 31st May - 12.31
  • 26th June- 11.41
  • 22nd July- 10.77
  • 15th August-12.37

This is with AC and in city. Mainting 33 psi all around. The 10 kmpl was disappointing, a joke for a car of its size. Glad to see it >12 again. Running costs are something like 6 rupees a km.

Last edited by promit : 16th August 2014 at 13:17.
Old 16th August 2014, 13:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I have read in various other threads which talk about the Gi10/Xcent's drivers seats being comfortable, I couldn't believe it. I used to think the drivers seats were design flaws. I think it's because of the art leather seat covers I had installed by the dealer, which have a not so great fit.
I also got art-leather seat covers as dealer fitment.

My experience is similar, i found the front seats to be more supportive (specially side bolstering) without the art-leather seat covers.

But i guess its a general thing with all cars. The art leather seat covers specially if they are stiched to seats, do take away some amount of support. But i am getting used to it now
Old 4th September 2014, 12:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Have had the car for about 3 and a half months. The odometer stands at 2150 kms right now. Absolutely running like a dream.
Hi Promit,

Booked Grand Asta Diesel with Safdarjung Hyundai yesterday.
Did not go for SportZ anniversary edition as height adjust was required.
I have few questions on remote key operation.

1.Why do they have boot opener button as it can be opened by pressing the request button on tailgate with remote in your pocket. By pressing this button, can I can open the tailgate from far and someone near the tailgate can lift it up.

2. I understand we need to press lock button to immediately lock the car as waiting for 45 seconds at some distance away or walking away without locking is only possible in your society or garage or office. But than why do we have unlock button ? Is it to open the door from far like the tailgate.

3. If the master fuse on-off switch is off, will the automatic door opening work ?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Wanderers : 4th September 2014 at 12:15.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Promit,

Booked Grand Asta Diesel with Safdarjung Hyundai yesterday.
Did not go for SportZ anniversary edition as height adjust was required.
I have few questions on remote key operation.

1.Why do they have boot opener button as it can be opened by pressing the request button on tailgate with remote in your pocket. By pressing this button, can I can open the tailgate from far and someone near the tailgate can lift it up.

2. I understand we need to press lock button to immediately lock the car as waiting for 45 seconds at some distance away or walking away without locking is only possible in your society or garage or office. But than why do we have unlock button ? Is it to open the door from far like the tailgate.

3. If the master fuse on-off switch is off, will the automatic door opening work ?

thanks in advance
Hi Wanderers. Congratulations on your new car. My buying experience with Safarjang was great! Which colour have you booked? I would strongly ask you to reconsider and go in for the Asta(O).

1. A long press of the boot open button on the key fob, will unlock only the hatch door. As you said, yes you can stand out of range from the car (by out of range, I mean out of keyless functionality range >3 feet or so), press the boot button and someone near the car can lift the hatch open. On shutting it, it will lock on its own.

2. If you forget to lock the car and if the key goes out of range the car will lock itself after 45 seconds. This is not a everyday feature per se.
You 'must' lock your car after you step out, either by pressing the button on the door handle or by pressing the lock button on the key fob.

The lock/unlock button on the keyfob enables you to lock and unlock all 5 doors just like a normal Autocop does. It works just like the remote keys in the Civic,City(3rd gen) etc etc.
It's upto you whether you like to use the button on door handle to lock/unlock or use the buttons on the keyfob to lock/unlock. Yes, rightly mentioned by you the key fob buttons can be used standing from a distance.
The lock/unlock button on the key may be used if you wish to open/close your car if the remote is outside the keyless range ( >3 feet or so)

3. Nope, You will have to use the skeleton key within the key fob to unlock the driver door.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post any other query. Also, what is your height?
Asking because, the height adjustment is redundant for someone >5' 8. Because only the seat base rises, and not the whole chair. So if you are 5'8 and over, if you put the seat higher than minimum the headrest doesn't support the back of your head.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Wanderers.
Also, what is your height?
Asking because, the height adjustment is redundant for someone >5' 8. Because only the seat base rises, and not the whole chair. So if you are 5'8 and over, if you put the seat higher than minimum the headrest doesn't support the back of your head.
Hi
Thanks for quick response.

My height is 5.8 but its my wife 5.5 who would need the seat height adjust. Also I did feel during height adjustment that its only the bottom portion, which moves up but it will do for my wife.

We booked Twilight Blue.
Choose safdarjung based on your earlier feedback.

As such we will take delivery only before Diwali, so I can change things till this month end.

Yes I am getting tempted to go for Asta(O) but than we move over to Polo due to price increase by around 35K.
I really liked the diamond cut alloys.

Actually with Fortuner, XUV and Swift at home, this car would be driven only around the my house & school.

Under 40 KMH speed does the Airbag comes on ?
Old 4th September 2014, 14:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi
Yes I am getting tempted to go for Asta(O) but than we move over to Polo due to price increase by around 35K.
I really liked the diamond cut alloys.

If you do go in for the Gi10 definitely go in for the Asta(O) only man. The premium over the Asta gets you dual airbags, ABS and the silver finished wheels. It's well worth it. Sincerely hope the airbags are never needed, but you'd really want to have ABS.

Quote:
under 40 KMH speed does the Airbag comes on ?
In the Gi10 atleast, there are two sensors a little behind each headlight, if an impact crosses that threshold the airbags will deploy. Speed isn't a factor. For example, you may be stationary at a traffic light and get rear ended by a heavy vehicle and smash into the car in front, airbags would deploy depending on the force of impact.

Yes, I agree. The Polo will come within striking distance in terms of pricing. Well, you seem to be in a heart vs mind situation. Wish you all the best

Also, what will this new car's running be like? Considering it's not a primary ride. Why not look at the petrol equivalents? The per litre difference in Gurgaon is 11 rupees currently.
Old 26th April 2015, 11:46   #28
BHPian

Re: 1 Year Update

I've had the car for exactly a year today. The odometer currently stands at ~7k Kms. My daily running for work is a mere 12kms. The car has grown on me. I think for crowded urban streets and mall parking etc, the size is perfect. The car is well loaded. Have got really accustomed to a couple of things like the parking sensors, bluetooth mobile pairing and the keyless entry/go system. In fact so much, that I feel a bit lost when I drive other cars in the house. Keep looking for non existent start/stop buttons and wondering why there's no beeping when i engage reverse gear! No regrets, I think I made a great choice with respect to my needs, wants and budget at the time. The car is effortless. The controls are super light. Pleasure to drive. The engine is great. Reasonably quick by hatchback standards. No complaints per se. On the mileage front I've been keeping a tab. It's averaging 11.5-12.5 Kmpl now, I think thats pretty good with A/C.

I've spent 42.5k on petrol. I renewed my insurance (zero dep) with Tata Aig for ~12.5k. One year service was carried out yesterday. Paid a total of 3k including (1k for alignment, balancing, 500 for plastic cover below front bumper and taxes). Car seems to have become slightly smoother after service.

Love the colour black. Haven't seen too many on the road. Am fortunate to have covered parking at work and at home. Thanks to the detailing thread on TBhp I am obessed with keeping my car shining. I picked up a 3M car cleaning kit and a couple of MF's. Clean and wax myself every couple of months.

Cheers
Promit

Last edited by promit : 26th April 2015 at 11:49.
Old 27th April 2015, 17:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've had the car for exactly a year today. The odometer currently stands at ~7k Kms. My daily running for work is a mere 12kms. The car has grown on me. I think for crowded urban streets and mall parking etc, the size is perfect. The car is well loaded. Have got really accustomed to a couple of things like the parking sensors, bluetooth mobile pairing and the keyless entry/go system. In fact so much, that I feel a bit lost when I drive other cars in the house. Keep looking for non existent start/stop buttons and wondering why there's no beeping when i engage reverse gear! No regrets, I think I made a great choice with respect to my needs, wants and budget at the time. The car is effortless. The controls are super light. Pleasure to drive. The engine is great. Reasonably quick by hatchback standards. No complaints per se. On the mileage front I've been keeping a tab. It's averaging 11.5-12.5 Kmpl now, I think thats pretty good with A/C.

I've spent 42.5k on petrol. I renewed my insurance (zero dep) with Tata Aig for ~12.5k. One year service was carried out yesterday. Paid a total of 3k including (1k for alignment, balancing, 500 for plastic cover below front bumper and taxes). Car seems to have become slightly smoother after service.

Love the colour black. Haven't seen too many on the road. Am fortunate to have covered parking at work and at home. Thanks to the detailing thread on TBhp I am obessed with keeping my car shining. I picked up a 3M car cleaning kit and a couple of MF's. Clean and wax myself every couple of months.

Cheers
Promit
Thanks for the update, may I know the IDV for the Zero dep insurance renewal?
Old 28th April 2015, 13:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Thanks for the update, may I know the IDV for the Zero dep insurance renewal?
The IDV is Rs 463K now (85% of ex showroom value from a year ago). I think there is an option to increase your IDV a bit, for a slightly higher premium.

Most Viewed