Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 00:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Grand i10 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
e. Auto locking of the doors at speed is absent and I have probably forgotten to lock the doors on 3 instances. Its alarming as we also have kid riding with us. Planning to write to Hyundai to see if they can do something. I am sure its just a tweak in the ECU mapping or that auto lock feature turned off.
I think it takes more than ecu sw change to get your doors locked automatically unless the higher models have this feature. Hope you are using the child lock until then.
Old 21st July 2014, 08:12   #17
BHPian

re: Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!

Congratulations mate. Hope the new Korean companion will make you happy by serving you.

No doubt the Hyundai i10 Grand is a eyeball magent. Especially in this shade. Will look forward to get more update on your ownership experience.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
@ motomaverick, Congratulations on acquisition of most wonderful hatch offering good fit and finish with all the feature rich bells & whistles. You have perfectly penned down your whole experience from Leh'd White Whale to acquisition of Oranje. How much did your Manza fetched you ? Your baby Anika came in last year June so it was perfect first birthday gift to your daughter
Enjoy your ride and drive safe
Thanks but it was more a gift for wife than daughter . She is wanting to start driving and was not comfortable with the white whale so the change. Well like they say if you want to get your dinner better listen to the home ministry.

The Manza fetched a paltry 4lakhs for me, it’s quite shocking how degraded Tata brand image is in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
  • First of all, congrats on your purchase. Living with a Getz 1.3 for 8 years, I'm very satisfied with the car and ASS
  • Can you please tell me which dealer you bought it from? And were there any discounts?
  • I'm also looking to buy an auto hatch for city drives within a year and your review helped a lot
  • Is the 4-speed good enough for city drives? And does the AT hold a gear till the redline in manual mode?
  • Any reason why Brio was not considered?
There are 4 types of Automatic transmissions: CVT, Automated manual, Torque converter and DCT. Torque converter transmission is the one on your Grand i10. It's less effecient than a manual.(97% vs 88%) So your FE will be lesser than the manual.
Thanks D4D, yes torque converters are usually very less efficient than a manual but still since we have to live with this car for few more years tried to experiment with driving styles. Let me try to answer your questions below.
  1. I bought it from Advaith Hyundai, Bannerghatta road and there was absolutely no discounts, checked with Blue, Trident Hyundai as well. Chose Advaith as I received a better presales service from them.
  2. The 4 speed is really good, excellent in start stop traffic aided by the light electric power steering. And if you want to shoot fast of the blocks this is the car you might want to be in. In manual mode I think it will redline though I have not tried due to run-in period now but it does hold the gear. Only when the rpm falls below a certain level it goes down a gear automatically.
  3. Two points it was not considered, a) The Brio was more than our set budget b) Brio was not offering very good boot space, we tried to put the baby’s pram and her things but it will not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Congratulations,awesome car and colour now may I suggest you to go for 15" wheels and low profile tyres,This will make your car stand out
Enjoy and Drive in style.

Thanks&Regards
KN
Thanks Kn09 but no mods planned for the car as of now especially bigger wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
No no,
In the Gi10, in the same situation thanks to the push button system- if I wish to shut the engine off, I need to press the start/stop button and the car shuts down,including all the electricals and I have to restart the car in accessory mode (without pressing clutch) to have my music play at a red light with the engine off.
All this is specific to the manual version of the car.

Thanks for sharing the tips and tricks you have discovered. ie.- doors not unlocking if you kill the engine in N and music not getting interrupted if you shut down in Neutral with the handbrake applied. I tried both of them yesterday, unfortunately it seems specific only to the Automatic variant.

This thought never crossed my mind until just now. Just got to hope like hell that nothing goes wrong. They do tell you during the demo, what to do in case the key fob fails or if the key battery is low, but nope nothing about a malfunctioning start/stop button.
Interesting that the manual version has a slightly different take on the electricals, ideally the neutral should have been equivalent to the N mode in AT. Anyways regarding what to do when start button fails, I have written to Hyundai and got a reply that someone will call me in 3 days time. So lets wait and see whats their take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
Hi moto maverick. Congrats on your new baby. Short and crisp review. Just wanted to know why you did not evaluate the Brio CVT? My father was planning to go for it as he found it the best amongst the i10 Grand AT and Ritz AT.
Thanks racer, Brio was not considered due to boot space & price. Plus I found the Grand has more equipment levels than the Brio along with better fit & finish. The main advantage of Brio is the safety system of ABS. But its sad that manufacturers are charging a premium for ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
I think it takes more than ecu sw change to get your doors locked automatically unless the higher models have this feature. Hope you are using the child lock until then.
Well I hope it does not because after all it’s the software that decides if the car has reached 5kph and the doors should be locked. Still waiting for Hyundai to reply on this, hope they give a good answer rather than skirting the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Congratulations mate. Hope the new Korean companion will make you happy by serving you.

No doubt the Hyundai i10 Grand is a eyeball magent. Especially in this shade. Will look forward to get more update on your ownership experience.
Thanks, yes the Orange color is sure to get a 2nd glance, in fact I am seeing quite a few of the same color these days I guess folks in Bangalore are getting more bolder with their car colors.

UPDATE: 21st July

Car completed the 1000 kms mark this weekend. In fact the meter is at 1126 as of today. Had some city errands to run and that’s the reason for soaring of the kms. 1st service is due between 1200 to 1500 so planning to give the car this coming weekend. Though 1st service is just a car wash and fluid top ups, anything else that I need to inform the folks, there is no problem with the car (touch wood!).

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-camera360_2014_7_18_074938.jpg

A few more observations
  1. The ac is quite a chiller at least in Bangalore weather and I have always ended up putting the thermostat in half way mark.
  2. The wing mirrors are quite large and because its pointed in nature I am not missing the blind spot mirrors I had stuck on the Manza
  3. The key fob hardly comes out of the pocket now a days
  4. The wiper blades feel like they are 1 size smaller as there is a streak of water left in between the two stalks whenever I use them. The other nuisance is if you lift both the wiper blades then you need to put down the passenger side first before the driver side, I think its the way the arms are designed and their angles.

Changes Planned
  1. The horns are weak and planning to put at least the dual OEM ones, any ideas if Hyundai will oblige with over the counter sale of Fluidic Verna's dual horns?
  2. Planning to fix LED DRLs in the fog lamp housing just like the UK i10, but cant seem to be finding similar shaped DRLs.
  3. Maxspider Kagu mats as the OEM ones are useless and does not prevent the dust and mud from going down to the carpet levels.

Last edited by motomaverick : 21st July 2014 at 10:23.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Well I hope it does not because after all it's the software that decides if the car has reached 5kph and the doors should be locked. Still waiting for Hyundai to reply on this, hope they give a good answer rather than skirting the question.
But you still have to have the interface from the ECU to the door locks module (eg. CAN bus). If this is not there then there is no way for the ECU to command the door locks or you might have to go in for an aftermarket kit
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the change over motomaverick! I noticed the change in your avatar but was not able to find a thread until recently. Wishing you many happy miles!! Very good and detailed write up there of the Gi10.

PS: You dont look too happy receiving the key from the dealership person in the photo!! Were you miffed at them for something?
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
PS: You dont look too happy receiving the key from the dealership person in the photo!! Were you miffed at them for something?
Lol I was not miffed at them, I was pissed with Tata for not offering more for the Manza and I could not even tell them that this car has a 120bhp heart

UPDATE: 23rd July

The odo crossed 1200 kms yesterday, so booked for the 1st service this Saturday. I have informed them about changing the horns to dual ones, lets see if Hyundai obliges.
Old 23rd July 2014, 21:44   #22
BHPian

Hi motomaverick...enjoyed reading the thread. Sad to see the white whale go. Happy mile crunching in the GI10. Regards
Old 27th July 2014, 13:49   #23
BHPian

Hello motomaverick!

Congratulations on acquiring the Grand i10! My wife and I took a TD of the Sportz AT yesterday, and were pleasantly surprised by the interior quality, refinement, decent ride & standard equipment list being offered.

However, while all that is great, I am concerned about the torque converter unit and the 4 speed AT. We are looking at the Grand i10 as our second car, for daily use within the city to commute to office and back. That means on an average, it will be used for around 45 kms per day. It will not be bumper-to-bumper traffic, but there will be some. Keeping the distance to be covered each day in mind, and the 4 speed slush box being offered, how much fuel efficiency can we expect? Am I expecting too much if I consider an average of 11kmpl? I'm not too keen on a diesel, simply because there are no diesel AT hatchbacks available yet . If there were, I'd have purchased it in a heartbeat!

We need your inputs in helping us make this decision. Please let us know. I'm not very keen on an MT at this time, as my wife has yet to learn how to drive. Plus, traffic is Chennai is increasing at an alarming rate, which totally nullifies the point of getting another MT.
Old 28th July 2014, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Lol I was not miffed at them, I was pissed with Tata for not offering more for the Manza and I could not even tell them that this car has a 120bhp heart

UPDATE: 23rd July

The odo crossed 1200 kms yesterday, so booked for the 1st service this Saturday. I have informed them about changing the horns to dual5-7 ones, lets see if Hyundai obliges.
Congrats on the new buy!

Work kept me really busy and therefore could not wish you online.

Really sad to see your Manza go for such a low price. I feel in Bangalore, maybe because of status reason people did not want to buy a Manza. Else just last year in March, TATA had launched the 60% buy back offer after 3 years. You ideally should have got around 50-70 k more on it.

Nevertheless, have a great time with the 'Oranje'.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hi motomaverick...enjoyed reading the thread. Sad to see the white whale go. Happy mile crunching in the GI10. Regards
Thanks, all the best with your Manza, keep it revving for few more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hello motomaverick!

Congratulations on acquiring the Grand i10! My wife and I took a TD of the Sportz AT yesterday, and were pleasantly surprised by the interior quality, refinement, decent ride & standard equipment list being offered.

However, while all that is great, I am concerned about the torque converter unit and the 4 speed AT. We are looking at the Grand i10 as our second car, for daily use within the city to commute to office and back. That means on an average, it will be used for around 45 kms per day. It will not be bumper-to-bumper traffic, but there will be some. Keeping the distance to be covered each day in mind, and the 4 speed slush box being offered, how much fuel efficiency can we expect? Am I expecting too much if I consider an average of 11kmpl? I'm not too keen on a diesel, simply because there are no diesel AT hatchbacks available yet . If there were, I'd have purchased it in a heartbeat!

We need your inputs in helping us make this decision. Please let us know. I'm not very keen on an MT at this time, as my wife has yet to learn how to drive. Plus, traffic is Chennai is increasing at an alarming rate, which totally nullifies the point of getting another MT.
Honestly, I have not got more than 10kpl with my car at the moment. The engine has freed up after 1200 kms of running in, but the AT box sucks up a lot of fuel. My commute is bumper to bumper around 80% of the times. All the mileage is with AC. Being in Chennai I am sure it will be 100% AC so expecting 11kpl might be hard but not impossible.

If you forget about the mileage the car is just brilliant, the packaging, fit n finish, gizmos on offer, all this makes it quite a value add, in fact after daily use of this car for more than a month, I have gotten used to the keyless feature so much that I somehow feel it should be made standard.

If you dont mind waiting till Sept there might be Tata Bolt with diesel AMT, or you can also check the Zest in AMT, being sub 4 m it might not be too hard to drive around in the city for a lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Congrats on the new buy!

Work kept me really busy and therefore could not wish you online.

Really sad to see your Manza go for such a low price. I feel in Bangalore, maybe because of status reason people did not want to buy a Manza. Else just last year in March, TATA had launched the 60% buy back offer after 3 years. You ideally should have got around 50-70 k more on it.

Nevertheless, have a great time with the 'Oranje'.
Thanks Gaurav, I realized that you might be busy with shifting base. Anyhow, I never knew about about the 60% offer, somehow Tata never bothered to intimate. But now its gone so no point discussing it, hope you will avail it
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, all the best with your Manza, keep it revving for few more years.
Ahh so you have the luxury of the auto tranny now in that traffic you mention.
must be so much more easy on your left feet.

Well yes , when i bought the manza i had bougth it with a perspective of 30-36-42 months(as was the case with my earlier Alto lxi and the swift vxi). Now at 38 months the manza is just doing fine and i am surely going to keep it for at least 24 months more. Seems like it will easily do it. The earlier Altos and Swifts were rattle snakes and also few fuses /switches every now and then in them .
But the Manza is surprisingly much better aging for me. (tocuhwood.).

Last edited by madhu33 : 28th July 2014 at 11:30.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I have not got more than 10kpl with my car at the moment. The engine has freed up after 1200 kms of running in, but the AT box sucks up a lot of fuel. My commute is bumper to bumper around 80% of the times. All the mileage is with AC. Being in Chennai I am sure it will be 100% AC so expecting 11kpl might be hard but not impossible.

If you forget about the mileage the car is just brilliant, the packaging, fit n finish, gizmos on offer, all this makes it quite a value add, in fact after daily use of this car for more than a month, I have gotten used to the keyless feature so much that I somehow feel it should be made standard.

If you dont mind waiting till Sept there might be Tata Bolt with diesel AMT, or you can also check the Zest in AMT, being sub 4 m it might not be too hard to drive around in the city for a lady.
Thanks for the update mate!

What you've said makes a lot of sense. I have heard that the Tata Bolt/Zest will probably be launched with a diesel AMT. Though, until they actually come out and are put through the fiery crucible of testing called the Indian Traffic, I'd much rather prefer sticking with tried and tested stuff such as a 4 speed slushbox.

Keyless entry is just awesome ! It just works seamlessly, and now I feel weird unlocking our Optra with the remote . No more fumbling and furious groping inside the trouser legs for the keys lol. I'm almost sold on the Asta AT. It costs less than 7 big ones, and apart from ABS/Airbags/Climatronic HVAC, it comes preloaded with just about every creature comfort that 2 people can make use of in the car.

My other concern is running costs. Based on rough calculations I conclude that our daily running will be somewhere around 45 kms, and total monthly running will touch nearly 1200 kms. With that figure in mind, it seems we might have to spend nearly 10k on Petrol, assuming 10kmpl. However, if we decide to get a diesel Grand i10 Sportz, which costs about 10k less than the Asta AT, monthly fuel bills will be nearly halved! Alas, that again comes with the pain of an MT :(. What would be your suggestion? Please do let us know.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. Cheers!
Old 28th July 2014, 12:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
My other concern is running costs. Based on rough calculations I conclude that our daily running will be somewhere around 45 kms, and total monthly running will touch nearly 1200 kms. With that figure in mind, it seems we might have to spend nearly 10k on Petrol, assuming 10kmpl. However, if we decide to get a diesel Grand i10 Sportz, which costs about 10k less than the Asta AT, monthly fuel bills will be nearly halved! Alas, that again comes with the pain of an MT :(. What would be your suggestion? Please do let us know.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. Cheers!
Its like deciding which came first, the chicken or the egg On a serious note if you have decided to go for AT, look for AT cars, if you don't have issues buying used, then there might be a lot of used ATs in the market. Or you can also try the Celerio AMT, being an AMT it will definitely give your more mileage. I was also looking for the Celerio but the the long waiting period and the interiors of the i10 made me decide against the Celerio.

My suggestion, check the Zest out, AMT is a known technology and coming from Magneto Marelli directly there should not be issues. I know I am offering Tata but its somehow managed to steal the show in the Diesel AT budget price bracket. The car is already available for test drives, check it out.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:15   #29
BHPian

Congrats Motomaverick on your new Oranje. The car looks stunning in the orange shade and wish you many a happy miles with it.
Old 30th July 2014, 08:39   #30
BHPian

Hi Motomaverick

Congratulations!

I had followed your White Whale and its journey's to the roof of the world.

For the last couple of weeks I had been out of Bangalore - well driving to the roof of the world myself. Before leaving I had read that you had given the keys of your white whale away and were waiting for your new set of wheels. Coming back and I read that your new car is here and the thread is up. So Congratulations again.

Guess what, today I am taking the delivery of our Xcent AT from Trident at Hosur Road. This would be an upgrade for the home ministry who had A Star AT.

I understand that both Xcent and Grand i10 AT are built from the same foundation. In fact Xcent is actually built off the Grand i10. So I would be closely following your thread on the Grand i10 AT.

Good ownership thread and happy miles with smiles.

Congratulations again.

Cheers

Rajain

Most Viewed