Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 13:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lunch at Kabini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Requested our dealership to upgrade the horn - and we were met with weird looks and reminders of the warranty policy. The current horn is just too meek for a car!
Strange, I requested and they obliged. The folks at Advaith Bannerghetta road also informed that relay is there and they just need to fix the high tone .

Probably cite them this example from Bangalore or next best option auto accessories.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 14:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lunch at Kabini

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Strange, I requested and they obliged. The folks at Advaith Bannerghetta road also informed that relay is there and they just need to fix the high tone .

Probably cite them this example from Bangalore or next best option auto accessories.
Ah! Cool. I will try give the other dealerships a try next time i head home. There are three dealers in trivandrum thankfully.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!

Hello All, this thread has been quite for sometime, not much happening in the car front after the Pulsar came in. The bike has become a daily ride leaving the car for weekend family drives.

Surprisingly the car returned 11 kpl in the last thankful, I don't know how it improved, probably I have learnt to drive a AT properly now. Also, need to get the alignment done before an upcoming getaway to KRS this weekend.

Current Odo: 4230 kms
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

A new year update. The car finally crossed the first milestone of 5000 kms yesterday. The highway mileage has been improving and in my last trip it returned a healthy avg of 16kpl, which is awesome. Now a days on the highway I usually drive in manual mode so that the car holds the gears during the varying roll-on speeds. But the city mileage is still hovering around 10-11 kpl which is what can be expected from this AT.

Other than the mileage, the car is absolutely sound less, no rattles whatsoever.
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:07   #50
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the highway mileage for both the Grand and Xcent is around 16- 17 kmpl. Which is much more than what I expected, frankly- considering it is a 4 speed AT.

Manual mode is useful for highway runs. Hope Hyundai also brings cruise control lower down their model range soon.
Old 13th April 2015, 10:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Bright Lights for the little Korean

13th April 2015 Update

After the 2nd Jan update, an update on the little Korean was long time overdue. Well it so happened that I gave a much needed functional mod to the car, installing higher wattage halogens.

But lets read about the car first before we jump into the mod.

Kms completed: 8200
Time period: 10 months
Driving Pattern: 80% city / 20% highway
Mileage: 10-11kpl city / 15- 17kpl highway

Pros:
  1. Awesome fit and finish, no rattles whatsoever in the car despite some hard thuds during some of the highway drives.
  2. Highway mileage has improved quite a but and now the car gives 15 - 17kpl easily so its become lighter on the pocket
  3. AT gearbox is very easy to drive
  4. No lags with a/c
  5. Spacious 5 seater with good boot space that swallows a baby pram and some duffle bags
  6. No visits to the service center for the last 9 months after the 1st service (*touch wood)

Cons:
  1. City mileage is pretty low at 10 - 11kpl with a/c
  2. Slight shuddering felt when the car is in neutral and a/c turned on, had checked with service center and they informed its by design.
  3. Headlights are very poor in highways or even in some city roads where street lighting has those white sodium lights.

Lighting Mod

Now coming to the mod itself. As mentioned in the cons section above, the headlights were very poor and with some more night trips lined up I had to upgrade. Did not want to spend too much so opted for the usual higher wattage 90/100 H4 modification. I have had good experience with this modification right from Zen days so did not think of other options.

I went to Torque in Jeevan Beemanagar since I was in the area on Saturday. They charged me 1700 for the lights and the cut out, thought it was high but they gave a Philips cutout along with its bill. And since I really did not have time to run around in JC road, I got it installed. The installation was quick and pretty neat. The guy working on the car was very methodical and it was good to see that nothing was cut or spliced.

Next up I also fixed a DRL that I had bought from Snapdeal. The flip side was the fitting of the DRLs costed me more than the DRL itself

Here are some pictures.

Thats the Philips cut out, got the bill for the same.
Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-philips_cutout.jpg

Thats the lo-beam after the mod, sorry don't have before pictures
Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-headlight_lobeam.jpg

The hi-beam
Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-headlight_highbeam.jpg

Got to test the power of the lights this last weekend that too in the rains, the light is now pretty bright and good spread, I am keeping the headlight level at 1 position which is not effecting oncoming cars and I can also see properly. So all in all a good modification.

Here is the picture of the DRLs in action during day time.
Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-drl_daytime.jpg

Yes, the DRLs are pretty bright, in fact I can park my car with just these lights at night. They have a slight bluish tinge to them but its not so bad. Now the car looks a little mean, planning to get the UK style i10 DRLs later, they are currently available for $80 in Alibaba. The DRLs also got tested in the recent rains and they are still intact plus waterproof, so all is good.
Old 15th April 2015, 22:37   #52
BHPian

Many thanks, this is very helpful info. I agree on the lighting part, stock is completely pathetic and I also recently upgraded a bit to OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited which is definitely better and brighter than stock. Since I don't do much night dirving, this is enough for now and I might also plan to go the 100/90 way, along with the relay.

Nice LEDs. I think they're fairly well sized and pretty subtle which suits this car, not over-the-top like the previous i20's DRLs. Please let me know which switch did you connect this to? There are a couple of empty slots next to the headlight level adjuster, by any chance did you use these?

Also, if you get a moment could you post a picture of how these LEDs look at night time? Many thanks again!
Old 16th April 2015, 10:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Many thanks, this is very helpful info. I agree on the lighting part, stock is completely pathetic and I also recently upgraded a bit to OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited which is definitely better and brighter than stock. Since I don't do much night dirving, this is enough for now and I might also plan to go the 100/90 way, along with the relay.

Nice LEDs. I think they're fairly well sized and pretty subtle which suits this car, not over-the-top like the previous i20's DRLs. Please let me know which switch did you connect this to? There are a couple of empty slots next to the headlight level adjuster, by any chance did you use these?

Also, if you get a moment could you post a picture of how these LEDs look at night time? Many thanks again!
The LEDs are connected directly to the ignition wire, it starts when either the car is started or the switch is in full on mode. I did not want to use switches mainly because of too many wires running around. Oh! and the wires are not cut but connected via wire splitters.

Will try and post a night time pick but these days it has been raining in the evening, so hopefully today its dry to click a pick.

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th April 2015 at 10:22.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Update 1 year completed 2nd Service done

11th Sept 2015 Update

After the update in April did not update this thread as there was nothing much of action on the car except for it being a daily driver, ferrying me and family from point A to B with relative ease. Of course when I am a traveler at heart how can highway trips be not taken despite having a auto petrol guzzler.

The car completed a year in June, then I did the 2nd service just last week. Yes I know it was 2k kms over the stipulated kms. But being a Hyundai the car just performed flawlessly.

So lets read about the car first before we jump into the updates after 1 year living with an Auto shift.

Kms completed: 13100
Time period: 14 months
Driving Pattern: 75% city / 25% highway
Mileage: 10-11kpl city / 15- 17kpl highway

Pros:
  • Awesome fit and finish, no rattles whatsoever in the car despite some hard thuds during some of the highway drives. And after 1 year of merciless Bangalore roads no sounds absolutely.
  • Mileage has mostly remained unchanged, though the city mileage dropped during the last two months mainly owing to not performing the service on time.
  • I have got used the AT really well, though its not the fasted reacting units around, it can still make the car fly on the highways, especially acceleration on D is pretty decent
  • Spacious 5 seater with good boot space that swallows a baby pram and some duffle bags
  • It has been really reliable, apart from the rat biting incident very early on last year I have not seen the service center for more than a year now until last week. With the Manza I had seen the service center at least 3-4 times in a year, just goes to show the Korean quality.
  • Keyless entry is a boon and I have gotten used to it so much that sometimes I feel how I used to lock and unlock cars earlier.
  • The electrical folding mirrors is another good feature that I used frequently in the past year. You see the OVRMs are quite longish in the Grand and its very easy to hit something if the road is very narrow, so I just fold them and drive when its required.

Cons:
  • City mileage is pretty low at 10 - 11kpl. With a/c that goes down even further by 1kpl. I guess a 5 speed might have improved the mileage.
  • Lethargic transmission. It thinks for 2-3 secs if you press the throttle hard and then gears down. So on the highway I mostly drive on manual mode.
  • Very poor performance on the hills. In July did a trip to Ooty in the car with 5 adults and their luggage and the car was just struggle to climb, I drove 80% of the masinagudi climb on 1st gear manual. My zen used fare better on that hill than this car.

Service

Let me put down my service experience during and after the 2nd service. I have just one word Awesome! I had taken the car to Trident Hyundai in Jakkasandra.

Yes you have read that correctly. Now why am I saying its awesome? Well three reasons.
  1. They took my car for service without me having had an appointment. Though the bays were empty but usually they dont take without appointment.
  2. My car had crossed almost 2500 kms post service due date but no questions asked whatsoever. In Tata I was warned that if I cross the kms then I would loose the free service.
  3. I spent just 1400 bucks for the consumables. I had spent 6k for the 2nd service of my Manza. What a difference.

Incidents:
Only one when I hit the sides of a staircase in a narrow road and the front tires side wall got torn. Goodyear obviously did not give warranty so had to buy a used one and use it as spare.

So all in I am a pretty happy chappy with the car. Would I recommend it? In view of the recent models launched I would advise to look somewhere else if you are mileage conscious, but if you want quality & reliability then this is the car.
Old 24th December 2015, 11:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

24th Dec 2015 Update

As 2015 draws to a close I thought of updating this thread. Nothing major to report except that the car odo reading has increased quite a bit in 2015.

Kms completed: 18500
Time period: 18 months
Driving Pattern: 70% city / 30% highway
Mileage: 10.5-11kpl city / 16- 17kpl highway

All in all has been a satisfactory ownership with just 2 visits to the service center in past 18 months, thats one heck of a record from Hyundai.
Old 19th October 2016, 01:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Update: 18th Oct 2016

After a long time got something to update in this thread. The car has been doing well. After the 3rd free service the mileage has increased by 1kpl.

Kms Done: 26k kms

With an AT vehicle a driver arm rest is really required what with your left hand not having any work of changing gears. Mostly they will rest on the shifter lever. So went ahead and got myself a universal arm rest in the recent Flipkart sale. This is a different design much slimmer as the Grand i10 hardly has any gap between the two seats.

Thankfully the armrest is a perfect fit. I was looking for a black version but the delivery was end of the month so settled for the beige color.

Cost of Armrest: 1045 bucks
Cost of Fitting: 200 bucks
End Result: Fabulous

Here are some pics after installation.

The pack came with all the screws and nuts except for the ones used to fix it on the console.

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-file_000.jpg

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-file_001.jpg

Annyeonghaseyo or Hello from Korea - Hyundai Grand i10 AT. EDIT: Sold!-file_002.jpg

Last edited by motomaverick : 19th October 2016 at 01:14. Reason: Date change
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Annyeong: Sold the car

So after 45000 kms in just over 4 years its goodbye to the Korean.

The ownership was fuss free and totally inexpensive to maintain the car. It went for around 5 services and the highest I would have paid was the last paid service of about 6-7k. It can take you from point A to B without any issues but as you may have guessed it, life was boring with this torque converter.

In times when people are moving towards ATs I did a reverse and got a manual. Ownership for that is in the making and coming soon.

As they say in Korean "Annyeong"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks