Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 19:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Driven: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ah, that!

What would you like to know, that cannot be described in very few words?

Acceleration: Not supercar levels, but most Indian cars south of the 40L INR bracket would be left behind in its dust. This, in automatic mode. One can switch the gearbox to manual mode, with Tiptronic-like paddle shifters behind the steering wheel, and it is great fun to play with that on curvy hilly roads as you barrel down at 80-100 km/h, the body utterly flat and roll-free - but then the ladies in the back complained about the centrifugal forces affecting their comfort.

Braking & handling: Has amazing levels of grip, and with all the acronyms added in (ABS, EBD, ESC, ERM, BA, TC, FCW, CM) this is one safe and stable SUV, under braking as well as around corners. It's a breeze to drive despite its bulk.

Safety: Maybe not Volvo-class, but not very far short either.

Comfort: The only SUV I have ridden / driven that is more comfortable and spacious is perhaps the Volvo XC90 - but this one definitely makes one feel like he's in the lap of luxury too.

Fuel Economy: Well, there's the one Achilles' heel for this massive petrol-engined vehicle. The diesel-powered Grand Cherokee is certainly more frugal according to the numbers.

I think the owner, rideon, would be in a better position to comment in greater detail.
The fuel economy isn't that bad considering that you're driving a 3.6L V6.
On highways, it has given me approximately 8L/100kms. In the urban jungle, it now hovers around 11.2L/100kms after a software update on the transmission as part of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). Before that, urban runs used to be around the 13L/100kms mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Had one question, did you happen to observe a clunk when shifting from 1 to 2nd gear in really low speeds. Say just after start?

It is like the computer upshifts, but the vehicle is not really in 2nd gear speed yet; resulting in a 'Clunk' and sight jerk. Did you happen to experience that in your drive?

Really liked those exterior pics. , the one under the tree.
Cold start - yes. Can't be really said as a 'Clunk', but i'd say that the gears fall in place, but the shaft fails to keep up. A few kilometres and all is smooth. This is the same as the jerk you get in the Sports mode, but not using the paddle shifters.
rideon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 12:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
.... This is the same as the jerk you get in the Sports mode, but not using the paddle shifters.
Hmm, strange. For me the Sports mode was smooth. And you are right; none while using the paddle shifters. These days I start off in the paddle shift mode.

Now about the mileage. You guys seems to be getting good mileage; the on board display just shows 18.6 to 19.5 l/100 kms.
Old 11th September 2014, 03:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Hmm, strange. For me the Sports mode was smooth. And you are right; none while using the paddle shifters. These days I start off in the paddle shift mode.

Now about the mileage. You guys seems to be getting good mileage; the on board display just shows 18.6 to 19.5 l/100 kms.
Take it to the dealership. It's way too high. They have some new patches that works. Try looking up the Jeep Technical Service Bulletin online. There are heaps of patchea that keep coming out. Time it with your service and everything is free.

For the start, although not needed, I just idle for approximately 30 secs (habit from the diesel days). When you then drive off, it's much smoother.
Old 11th September 2014, 19:16   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They have some new patches that works. Try looking up the Jeep Technical Service Bulletin online. There are heaps of patchea that keep coming out.
And the Australians are worried about cars like this too!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-0...e-bush/5727630

@rideon: Gotta prove 'em wrong some time!
Old 2nd May 2015, 17:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the review.
About time you post photographs here and bragged about the only registration plate that bears a BHPian's own name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks