Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th March 2018, 12:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi

During the last update in Jan 15 in this thread, the car was at around 10K on ODO. It slowly inched towards 23K Kms till May-17, not much happened for me to update this thread - other than the 1 service around 18K mark that left a sour taste at the local C.A.S.S and I swore never to return to them even if it meant warranty would be void.

But the last 10 months suddenly saw lots of action on the Sail UVA and it completed a brutally trashed 37K kms (approx).

Some highlights of the 23K to 59K (as of today) journey.

1) Car was a work horse, absolutely no time or money or interest to spend on it. Just tank up every 5-6 days and drive around, wash it once a fortnight and trash it again. Partly because a 6Km stretch of road outside my home was and is still dug up in the name of PWD works very badly, no end in sight for another 3 months at least.

2) No wheels alignment or balancing since 19K kms (till 59K), may extend beyond also.

3) Trusted old jeep mechanic engaged once in 7.5Kms to change the oil, oil filter and air filter, check and clean brake pads and shoes, replace if necessary.

Name:  oil filter 1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  119.5 KB

Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi-rear-drum.jpg

4) Big hassle to get OEM Chevy parts even before them closing down - settled down for after market brands of spares, absolutely no issues till date other than the hurt ego and guilty conscience. OEM Brake pads are 1600Rs, Local ones are 800Rs, they last 15-18K and I change them at around 80% of wear mark. Brake shows in rear are still very good at 59K mark - kudos to Chevy.

Name:  front disk and pad.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  air filter.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  125.0 KB

Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi-oil-filter.png

5) Electrical issues are a pain in the butt. Headlight would come on by itself, without flicking the switch, a tap or two on the harness under the bonnet would make it go away. Also while overtaking, if you flash the high beam, it would stay ON (REDFACE) this was so embarrassing considering that I have done 100-200Kms on a bright day, with high beam stuck in ON position - Diagnosed & Isolated the headlight from the relay box and routed a full length of wire from dash/switchgear to relay box - 300Rs

6) After market AutoCOP central lock failed, running without it for now.

7) Major failure till date was engine failing to start recently - diagnosed down to CRDI unit not getting power thanks to a sheared wire - again shame on Chevy for using a very low gauge wire on such a critical part. Labor + (Gujri sourced) adaptor was 950Rs.

Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi-crdi-switch-old.jpg

Review: My Chevrolet Sail U-VA TDCi-crdi-switch-patch-up.jpg

8) Suspension in front gave up thanks to the roads around my home, running board has taken a hit, that was how big the potholes got at one point of time. As usual not able to source OEM spares, especially after they have shut shop. A walk to JC Road Bangalore and into 'Manu' Automobiles, we managed to get the lower arm bushes and strut upper bush kit. Replaced them and car is riding high again and without any squeaks and metallic grinding noise during suspension travel. (Note - in pic you can see the lower arm rubbed badly against the chassis mount, and the strut rubber kit having sheared at top)

Name:  front strut damage.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  lower arm bed rubbing.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  lower arm bush.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  92.5 KB

9) Oh and the tyres - the OEM ones wore out at around 48K kms mark, actually one bulged sideways and gave a nauseating ride for a few days, thanks to the road conditions wasnt interested to spend on new ones, and also by the 50K mark the suspension sound had crept in. I wasnt ready to do the suspension job then, so settled for 4qty half used tyres at 500Rs/Pc from OLX. They are still holding good for another few months at least.

So main take away from this update is not all hope is lost for car owners who have been abandoned by the car maker. There are may ways - branded after market service centers like Bosch, Mahindra First Choice Services, etc and also my way - a dusty and dinghy road side mechanic who charges 200Rs for a oil change and brake clean, and 1000Rs for a front suspension job, and a trusted electrician who can handle the lights, central lock and also a Crdi unit in case its needed.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote