Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Happiness is...when a dream comes true! My Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet Dynamic

I've got the paint sealant done from 3M Baner too I've postponed the anti-corrosion treatment for later as I was not sure if it's required for Pune's climate.

On an other note, cars in white colour do not impress me that much. But the GP is an exception. It looks fab in white. Maybe it has to do with the white not being a pure white. It has that ivory sort of finish.
Old 24th February 2015, 04:54   #17

Hi rav11stars,
What do you think of the results post this treatment, also do let me know for how long does this treatment hold good before a re-treatment.

At the time of delivery of this car it was pretty much the start of rains in Pune, hence went for it.

Regards
SUVU
Old 25th February 2015, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Congratulations SUVU on this new acquisition!

I am really big Fiat fan from Uno days. I have very fond memories of my cherry red Fiat Uno, the solid build, very planted drive, engine power Etc.
But the real problem was with service and spare parts.

I faced a few very unique problems with my Uno I would like to share with my mates.

First was the hydraulic clutch which used to leak and clutch would just give way anywhere in the middle of the road and nothing could be done apart from stopping the car and pulling it aside and call the engineer who would come a few hours later with some small rubber rings for its piston or used to put thread below those rings to make that work for till those rubber rings were available.

Second problem was broken engine mountings which I got replaced for over four times but engine used to vibrate and give very annoying sounds when I used to turn the car at speed like on roundabouts.

Third problem arose when I was driving from Delhi to shimla I blew my left rear tyre and with that blast the fuel hose(the one which connects fuel inlet to the tank) and the fuel lid (unique to Fiat Uno) was lost in that blast.
That fuel hose was replaced but could not get that fuel lid from anywhere. Used to put polythene bag as a fuel lid which Shimla monkeys used to love.
Slowly water entered the engine and it took around two months to get things going in Shimla with no Fiat service network in 2003.
As soon as the car was in running condition I brought it back to Delhi and sold it to a car dealer.

These were the major problems which I think were unique to my car and led me to drift apart from a car I used to love to drive!

I hope things must have improved and people no longer have a hard time maintaining their Fiats unlike mine.

Wish you tonnes of safe and happy miles ahead!!
Old 25th February 2015, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
Congratulations SUVU on this new acquisition!
I am really big Fiat fan from Uno days. I have very fond memories of my cherry red Fiat Uno, the solid build, very planted drive, engine power Etc.
But the real problem was .....
Wish you tonnes of safe and happy miles ahead!!
ha..ha..ha..Thanks for sharing the experience. Its like you saying to some one "Wish you a long happy married life" after explaining all the problems of your marriage.
Anyway, the present Fiat network and A.S.S. is fairly good and the problems faced in Uno days are bygone. I am a Fiat owner and I can vouch you will have a happy driving experience!
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 11:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I am a Fiat owner and I can vouch you will have a happy driving experience!
+1 to that.

Going by the last update of my ownership thread in September 2014 goes to show that since then it has been a smooth ride till date. No major issues and the car is doing its job. Added bonus is I am loving the ride.

Regarding the paint sealant service by 3M, the treatment lasts for an year or so maximum as quoted by 3M guys. But they do provide the regular periodic touch ups if required.
Old 27th February 2015, 06:17   #21

Hi rev_rohit,
Thanks a lot for your wishes.
Going by the ordeal you have faced, its from the bad days of various wrong decisions taken by FIATs management.

But now things have changed for the better, I can see the new directions taken by FIAT and a lot has improved. Having said that there is still a long way to go for FIAT.

Regards
SUVU
Old 29th March 2015, 00:02   #22

Lonavala Drive

Its 10.30am, I am living my normal Sunday life:

Get up- Get Chicken- Eat Chicken- an afternoon Nap-an evening walk- Dinner and finally kill the wonderful Sunday that god bestowed upon us.

"If I keep doing the same thing, I will keep getting the same results" - words from one of recently attended trainings at office on Problem Solving. And here I was using the gyan (Knowledge) on a lazy Sunday.*Winks*

I call up my friend Sourabh at around 10.30am while in a queue at the chicken shop.

ME: Morning Buddy
Sourabh: Morning Bro
ME: Hey would you like me to join for a nearby drive as I have never taken the car out for a long drive
Sourabh: Sure, whats the plan
ME: Maybe we can go to Khadagwasla or any other nearby place
(Considering I have never driven my car more than 50 kms in a day)
Sourabh: Yes great option, let me check with my brother if he would give company
ME: Sure

While I am still confused with the destination - Khadagwasla was not really a long drive by any means. Somewhere deep inside I want to head for Lonavala. Before purchasing the car, I remember one of my conversations with my uncle where he said how much fun it is to drive this car on the twisties at Lonavala.

I- A person who has never driven hair pin bends on four wheels nor did more than 50km on any given day- planning to do something different to get some different results. To get the much required confidence of doing long drives, doing the twisty mountain roads, getting out of the hustle bustle of city life, save this Sunday and most importantly get to know the mean side of my machine.

I call up again to suggest and zero in on Lonavala and got an immediate answer..."LETS DO IT"

We started off at around 4.00 pm from my place in Pune and decided to do this by the Expressway (avoiding old Highway) My car has already run-in and now I wanted it to taste some high RPMs on the eWAY.

It was soon time for one of the favourite questions:

Buddy what do you think about the speeds we are doing
Not sure you tell
We are at 90km/hr
WOW..It doesnt feels so

Soon it was a change of focus on the numbers-

90-100-110-120- Man this is a leech on roads.

Happiness is...when a dream comes true! My Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet Dynamic-photo.jpg
Picture Credit: Sourabh

I back off as the machine is raring to go, but I am not willing to push it & instead settle to cruise at 100km/hr...this car is unbelievable & confidence Inspiring.

Note: No I am not promoting speeding. this was done just to experience the dynamics of my Punto and was done only for a few minutes on a well built eWAY devoid of traffic.

Trust me, even from a drivers perspective it feels as if I am doing 60km/hr on this machine while its cruising at 90km/hr

Road undulations are shrugged off like there were none, while the car glides over them.

Broken Patches are converted to mere sounds.

Road joints (common with the concrete eWAY) doesn't even sound while we pass. I remember a ride of a new Chevy Beat on the e-way where the sound of passing road joints is like bone jarring as if somethings gonna fall out.

Very minor vroom, almost negligible and non interfering. Would be hard to determine if this is a DIESEL.

Passenger comfort? People snoring at the backseat completely unaware, while I am having all the fun *Winks*

We touch Lonavala in no time and it was soon time for the twisties. Four onboard, Switched the AC off once we cleared the market place at lonavala to get some fresh mountain air and headed for the Hair Pin bends.

Steering feedback? I see its importance here while I try to keep up with the twisting roads. Its an absolute joy.

Short 1st and 2nd gear- What a boon, never fall short of torque to pull, even if we had to stop midway on the twist. No problems of rolling backward (coming from a 1st time driver of hair pin bends). Confidence Inspiring.

Only problem, gearshift is rubbery, quick shifts aren't possible and its all about following the entire gate while shifting.

Soon we were at Tigers point. We had Chai & Pakoda (Tea & Snacks). Soaked in the view and enjoyed the Sun as it set throwing an array of colors in the sky. A silent promise made- to see it rising next time we are in Lonavala.

While returning, we took the Old highway doing speeds of 60-70 for a safe night driving. Road is ample and good in terms of Indian highway conditions.

Fatigue- What Fatigue? Was a joy of an experience & Confidence Inspiring for my next long drive.

Total Kms Covered- 202

Happiness is...when a dream comes true! My Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet Dynamic-dsc_3073.jpg

Live to Drive!

Signing Off

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks