Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Nice detailed review of the Xcent Sedan. You've covered everything nicely. For some reason I have not yet seen many Xcent's on road. It's a nice all rounder package that will please most offend none with a good backing of Hyundai. Wish you luck with your new automatic machine, drive safe.

O.T: Maybe my next car would be an automatic; but being a purist at heart (in case of cars) I have always preferred manual transmission as compared to an auto box. I still feel that a manual gearbox gives you much more control and the 'driving satisfaction'!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 23rd July 2014 at 14:34.
Old 24th July 2014, 21:29   #32
BHPian

re: Good things come in small packages - Our Hyundai Xcent SX(O) AT a.k.a Delicate Darling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
I have one doubt, the price difference between S(O) AT and S(X) AT seems to be 90k Ex.Showroom. Do we have enough features to justify this 90k?
Some of the features are "cosmetic" and it is a matter of personal opinion whether they are worth the money or not. But the big one is that only SX has airbags - S does not. What value to attribute to safety .

Its a real pity that in this day and age, car manufacturers still put out many models without air bags.
Old 24th July 2014, 21:48   #33
BHPian

Re: Other Points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. The car needs to take a U-turn on this road, or otherwise has to be reversed few hundred meters to the main road. Please note that the gate seen in the pic is not ours and hence, it cannot be opened for taking the turn.
Nice review. Do you happen to live at Chalakuzhy Lane?
Old 24th July 2014, 23:28   #34
BHPian

This is a superbly written review and it is reviews like these that help potential buyers the most. Very well written and a lovely car to own. Happy and Safe Driving !
Old 25th July 2014, 09:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Some of the features are "cosmetic" and it is a matter of personal opinion whether they are worth the money or not. But the big one is that only SX has airbags - S does not. What value to attribute to safety .

Its a real pity that in this day and age, car manufacturers still put out many models without air bags.
Yea, I would live without a power window or automatic central locking or remote boot lid open but not compromise on safety. All manufacturers demand at least a lakh more for these (added with some gizmos) I think car manufacturers should think wisely and start providing the safety features in all models. There is a huge opportunity also to capture good number of customers who are ready to spend 30-50k more just for safety features that is provided in base models.
Old 25th July 2014, 10:52   #36
BHPian

C_D, thanks for a wonderful review. Being a fellow Fiat owner, your review means a lot to me. This car will be on my shortlist to recommend to older / retired people, and to my wife if she decides to brave Bangalore roads.
Old 26th July 2014, 08:01   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line.

C_D - This is a wonderfully detailed report, thanks for sharing.

I am contemplating my next car, and the Xcent is one of the contenders along with Dzire and Amaze. Reviews like this definitely help

Edit - And it's time to change your avatar
Thanks Aditya.

If the review helps atleast one person in making a decision - its worth the effort for me. Xcent is a good choice IMHO in the segment in terms of overall packaging, only let down being the fact that its not particularly exciting to drive. Enjoy the confusions and test drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on getting home the Xcent after the long wait. Great attention to detail. I am still laughing about the brochure comment

Your evaluation of the cars during shortlisting is spot on. The Xcent does not skip the ABS and Airbags on the automatic variant. Hyundai deserves a pat on the back for this. The Dzire though popular skips the ABS and Airbags in the automatic variant which is on offer. The Amaze is disappointing with the features, build and the interiors for the asking price, but has a 5 speed box. I am a little surprised about the mileage, my friend's Grande i10 automatic is giving him 7 kmpl, though the runs are quite short.

A well deserved 5 star rating for this thread.
Thanks Krishna.

Even I am pleasantly surprised with the initial two tankful figures returned, however, please note that kerala roads require one to be gentle with the throttle and average speeds dont dip as much as compared to cities like Bangalore. The real test will begin with the next tankful, as father is not so used to driving automatics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Absolutely brilliant review and seven star material. Bravo CD.

I was wondering what happened - you were the first BHPian booking the Xcent and although your delivery was delayed, the silence seemed to be way too long. Delighted to hear that your car was delivered and the experience has been significantly good.

Little doubt that the car will serve your parents long and well, and maybe, just maybe, you will fall for it too !!

On your query on extended warranty, my Bangalore dealer is saying it might be offered in 2 months time - for the moment the standard warranty only.
Thank you.

Hope they offer the extended warranty soon, and existing buyers still under warranty also have the option of purchasing it.

Car, as of now, looks like it fitted the requirements perfectly for parents. However, chances are slim that i would fall for it. Have been totally spoilt by a little FIAT - that my expectations of driver involvement is a lot more than the Hyundai can match. I do love the myriad of features on offer though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Nice review there! Loved the attention to detail.

A White Xcent with vtvt badging, sounds so much familier to me.

My Xcent comes with even lesser, only 2 badges, the H and Xcent.

Its an S and from what i heard from sales guy, only SX and SX(O) comes with variant badge.
Thank you. Yes, it sounds so familiar. Have been silently following your posts in the TD thread - infact it helped me cement my opinion that white is the colour to go for! Enjoy your ownership experience.

Automatic skips the VTVT badging too! It only has an 'Auto' badge on the RHS. Anyways, i am happy at this decision of Hyundai to give a cleaner look to their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I have had my xcent sx(o) AT for over a month now and have managed to start a review in the assembly line thread. Some day I will complete it.
Fantastic review and great pics. I agree with you on almost everything. City driving is a pleasure. Highways are a bit nervous.
While the steering wheel is a nice size, I found the texture uncomfortable for my hands. Almost felt like it was slipping.
How do you find the suspension noise? I hear what sounds like rattles on slightly rough roads. Hyundai told me it sounded normal, but I plan to get it rechecked.
Thank you Benjamin. Please do complete the review soon.

The texture, yes, it is a lot smoother than what I have in the Punto as well. But, i somehow like it. Gives a premium feel. But, coming to think of it, you are right - it offers far less grip.

Suspension noise? Suspension is rather silent in my car till now, but there is a light thud (Need sharp ears and only i need to notice it while driving. Hence not mentioned in the review) coming from the steering column over bad roads. I am hoping it doesn't develop into the infamous Hyundai steering rattle.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th July 2014 at 08:06.
Old 26th July 2014, 08:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Conngratulations on the xcent my friend! Verydetailed report. MAkes me consider xcent for my dad now. I took my dad along to teh showroom and wasnt very impressed. But your review makes me think otherwise. Shall do a proper TD next time.

PS : Good job on the engine pic Like it!
Thank you Ram.

It all depends on requirements and priorities. During the initial days since launch, me and another bangalore BHPian rohitunga were checking out the car together - and frankly he wasn't very impressed overall as well. But then - he was considering the Xcent automtic as a replacement for his Linea MJD, while my requirements where entirely different.

The auto box is certainly not the best in the business, neither is the car. What you get on offer though - is a very good packaging considering the length constraints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your new car and thanks for the excellent balanced report!
The Xcent is seriously testing my love for my i10 ! I am SO tempted to trade mine with the new one!

Now this would be a REAL problem during parallel parking on busy city (read : Kolkata) streets. The parking attendants always ask to leave your car in neutral so that they can push your car front/back to make way for smaller/bigger cars. And yes, the cars are literally parked bumper to bumper (read - bumpers of cars touching each other)
Thanks Sid.

However, i would give you one reason not to let the i10 go - the one feature i wish Hyundai had added on the top spec Xcent - the sunroof. Man, i would have loved that option - even though parents may never open it even once.

Oh boy, thats some parking! Scary stuff, but yes - relevant point regarding the option of parking in N mode. I can cross check if its possible only next month when i visit hometown though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Excellent review. Extremely detailed and top notch pictures. Specially liked your unbiased opinion on the performance of the AT box specially on highways. There are very few reviews of Hyundai AT's out there and your detailed review on performance will help potential buyers make an informed decision.
Also glad that Hyundai offered the AT in the top spec variant. Something they have not done with the Grand i10 and even the i20.

I wish that they dropped their 4 speed AT and brought in a newer/better AT box across their range. That would make this a complete AT package for any driving condition.
Thank you Rajeev.

True. Grand i10 would have been chosen long ago - if only it had been offered in the top spec with ABS and airbags. Infact, we visited the showroom once for checking the Grand i10 and i20.

For that matter, i20 used to have automatic in the Asta trim before its facelift. Hyundai reduced it to Sportz trim without any price reductions. Didn't feel nice to pay close to a million for a hatchback and still be left with the middle variant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
Fantastic detailed review. You have covered every minute detail with pros and cons.Very good enough for potential buyers. I own a manual SX(o) petrol. Have done 4000 kms. Its been a super experience so far.
Thank you.

Covered 4k already? Nice. I remember your FE figure from an earlier post though - 16! Reminds me that Hyundai automatics still sap a lot of fuel. How has the engine opened up? During my TD of the manual, i found the car having excellent low-end, but it hesitated a bit to revv-up. However, that car had less than 100 kms on the odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations on your new buy!!!
Excellent review with very detailed information. Nice pics too!
In the first pic the road looks to be very close to the sea, is it any beach near trivandrum?

On a side note, your punto review was one of them which helped me to choose Fiat.
Thank you.

Exterior pics were shot at the Shankumugham beach, Trivandrum. Usually the beach has a sandy front, but the water has reached the road now, thanks to the monsoon.

But thats still not close - when compared to the picture of the Punto just below.
Old 26th July 2014, 08:58   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shimla View Post
A very comprehesive review I must say, will definitely be helpful for people planning to buy new vehicles. I will be upgrading soon and after reading this I am 98% sure of buying Xcent now.
Thank you.

However, please do take detailed test drives before arriving on the decision. Enjoy the confusion and all the best for your purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congratulations and a Brilliant, detailed review. The photographs add a lot of substance and style. An entry level sedan that impressed all in my family, and we were almost booking the manual Asta version, had it not been for the waiting period mentioned by the dealer.

My brother has the i10 Auto too, and his biggest complaint is the mileage. Only gives him 8 in the city.
Thank you.

What was the waiting period mentioned by the dealer? As far as i know - there were no waiting periods anywhere, atleast not more than a month. Mine was a case where the dealer tried to act a little oversmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Brilliantly done C_D! Very detailed with snaps of all the relevant things in your review. Congrats on the car to you & your dad! Mileage figures seem decent for a 4 speed slushbox. As nkrishnap mentioned, a friend owning a Gi10 AT is getting around 7-9kmpl in Bangalore traffic.

Rated the thread 5 Stars!
Thanks Abhinav.

Even i have heard only 8-9 kmpl FE figures for hyundai automatics. Hoping against hope that the figures continue to impress as it did for the first two tankfuls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats CD on the new acquisition, the alloys are mouth watering.

To answer your question, yes the Grand AT has the ECO I somehow missed to pen it down in my ownership thread. And the observations with the rpm meter is similar with this mode on or off. I usually keep it ON as maximum drive time is in Bangalore traffic.

You also mentioned that there is plan to get dual horns fixed at 1st service time, you are planning to ask Hyundai itself to do it? Will they? I am also looking for an OEM dual horn option since the current one is as rightly put by you meeker for a bike as well.
Ah! Pleasure to have another tuned MJD to Hyundai convert here. Thank you.

I love those alloys, have a nice aftermarket effect to them. I felt there is a difference in ECO mode with a tendancy to upshift earlier. Doesn't it have to be, since ECO mode goes off only with a hard poke at the accelerator? Will cross check when i get to drive it next time.

I believe Hyundai cars already have the relay for a dual horn - atleast that was the case for the i20. I will be doing at the service center itself for the convenience of parents, should be a simple plug and play job if the relay is already in place. Will update in the next two weeks.

Congrats on your Grand i10 in that brilliant colour.
Quote:
Congrats on the smart purchase. I have one doubt, the price difference between S(O) AT and S(X) AT seems to be 90k Ex.Showroom. Do we have enough features to justify this 90k?
Thanks Joe.

1. Dual airbags.
2. Electro Chromic Mirror with rear camera (S gets reverse sensor though!)
3. Smart key/ Proper keyless entry system.
4. 15" diamond cut alloy wheels.
5. A nice leather wrapped steering wheel.
6. Automatic Climate Control.

Infact, its debatable whether the price difference is worth it. But that depends on the price you put on convenience and safety. I would prefer the SX(o) given another chance.

Another way to look at it, bring the DZire and Amaze AT versions and their pricing into the equation. Suddenly the SX(o) AT sounds well worth the extra dough.
Quote:
Same here, I am planning to visit the showroom this week, its just next to my office. I think for the urban usage this car cuts in very well. The looks are really good, it doesn't have that 'chopped off boot' look, the back and side profiles are carefully crafted to look like a proper Sedan. I seen this in flesh, compared to the Dzire it looks slightly smaller, but looks are very premium.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Nice detailed review of the Xcent Sedan. You've covered everything nicely. For some reason I have not yet seen many Xcent's on road. It's a nice all rounder package that will please most offend none with a good backing of Hyundai. Wish you luck with your new automatic machine, drive safe.

O.T: Maybe my next car would be an automatic; but being a purist at heart (in case of cars) I have always preferred manual transmission as compared to an auto box. I still feel that a manual gearbox gives you much more control and the 'driving satisfaction'!
Thanks Ketan.

I would still prefer the manual over an automatic, however age does seem to be catching up with me. It is just so convenient, and the newer generations dual clutch boxes are faster too! May be, just may be, my next car will be an automatic if there are good diesel automatics around then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Nice review. Do you happen to live at Chalakuzhy Lane?
Thanks Ramon. Its Peroorkada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrocket003 View Post
This is a superbly written review and it is reviews like these that help potential buyers the most. Very well written and a lovely car to own. Happy and Safe Driving !
Thank you. I hope it helps one person atleast in arriving at a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
C_D, thanks for a wonderful review. Being a fellow Fiat owner, your review means a lot to me. This car will be on my shortlist to recommend to older / retired people, and to my wife if she decides to brave Bangalore roads.
Thank you.

Its a tough world out there for FIAT owners when the plan an upgrade. As my wife comments usually - 'it is very difficult to like another car once you are used to a FIAT'.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Covered 4k already? Nice. I remember your FE figure from an earlier post though - 16! Reminds me that Hyundai automatics still sap a lot of fuel. How has the engine opened up? During my TD of the manual, i found the car having excellent low-end, but it hesitated a bit to revv-up. However, that car had less than 100 kms on the odo.
Yeah 4500 kms now. It really opens up after 1000-1200 kms. Its more peppier and fun to drive. I even took it to a speed of 120-130 km/hr. No problems whatsoever.
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 08:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
Yeah 4500 kms now. It really opens up after 1000-1200 kms. Its more peppier and fun to drive. I even took it to a speed of 120-130 km/hr. No problems whatsoever.

That's good to hear, although the automatic shifts early, good to know the engine can be revved properly in manual mode when needed. Our Xcent is only nearing the 1000 kms mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 31st July 2014, 23:02   #43
BHPian

Hi CrazyDriver

This is an outstanding review. It can match up to the official review for content and details. Amazing.

We got our Xcent delivered last evening. SX (o) AT - so this is one review that I will be following religiously.

I personally found the car to be a fine balance of cabin comfort, creature luxuries, sedate designing and fine engine.

Congratulations on the vehicle.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 23:36   #44
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed review. I along with my family went to do TD of the xcent sx manual (no TD of automatic available) and everyone loved the car. If I am going to buy, it will be automatic.
Gives a lot of big car feeling once you sit inside.
Old 3rd August 2014, 06:24   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi CrazyDriver

This is an outstanding review. It can match up to the official review for content and details. Amazing.

We got our Xcent delivered last evening. SX (o) AT - so this is one review that I will be following religiously.

I personally found the car to be a fine balance of cabin comfort, creature luxuries, sedate designing and fine engine.

Congratulations on the vehicle.

Cheers

Rajain
Thanks Rajain

Congratulations on your purchase as well. It is indeed a fine balance IMO and the attention to detail given in designing the vehicle is impressive once you start using, specially considering the price point and the 'made only for india' factor. 'H' is becoming the new 'H'
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed review. I along with my family went to do TD of the xcent sx manual (no TD of automatic available) and everyone loved the car. If I am going to buy, it will be automatic.
Gives a lot of big car feeling once you sit inside.
Thank you. Hope you have test driven the competition as well.

Have you tried contacting all the dealers in your region? For example - Only one of the dealers in Bangalore had the automatic available for test drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks