Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 16:43   #31
BHPian

Re: The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Looks you have not only sorted your troubles with them but also developed some cordial relations with them
Well I use a stick and carrot method with any person. if the dealership plays games then i use a stick and if they play straight and clear and don't mess up, i reward them
Old 24th August 2014, 08:01   #32
BHPian

Just done with the Installation of BMW Boot Load Edge Sill Protector Transparent P/NO 51912154173. it is a self-adhesive transparent PU film for Protecting the upper edge of the Painted rear bumper trim cover. Contoured for ideal fit. This is a Genuine BMW product, that is not found in the Electronic parts catalogue of BMW India dealers. so had to import it from Japan

Installation was fairly easy and a simple DIY. The Boot Load Edge Sill / part of the Bumper that is exposed to scratches when luggage is Loaded and unloaded, first was cleaned using car shampoo. then wiped dry with a micro fibre cloth. Thereafter dilute the car shampoo with water and spray it on the area where the protector is to be fixed. peel off the backing tape of the transparent Plastic sheet and spray car shampoo on it. align the Sheet on the Bumper where the 'V' mark should be at the centre of the rubber beading cut on the Boot Door. use a squeegee to squeeze out the excess shampoo lubricant, till all bubbles and water from beneath is drained. Leave it to dry for 6 hours.

why i chose this over the non-OEM plastic, Fibre and Metal Bumper Protectors ? the after market ones come with 2 way tape stuck onto them where the tape has to be peeled off and stuck on. however the adhesive quality isn't very great and the atmospheric elements weaken the adhesion within 2-3 months. Plus they are prone to be stolen. the Alternative is to drill them into the bumper which is a scary thought.

This Transparent Film is made by 3M and is thick and is the same one which is used on mobile phone screens - 'EZ Guard'
Old 24th August 2014, 11:53   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
This Transparent Film is made by 3M and is thick and is the same one which is used on mobile phone screens - 'EZ Guard'
How much did this cost you and can you share a pic of the same?
Old 24th August 2014, 19:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How much did this cost you and can you share a pic of the same?
The Cost was about Rs. 4700/- including shipping. in Yen Terms, it was Y7630, of which Y3000 was shipping charges. Have been trying to capture the picture of the same. however the lens is not picking up anything; and the bumper looks as it was before. will try to click a pic during the day tomorrow if its sunny
Old 27th August 2014, 06:57   #35
BHPian

Finally was able to Purchase the BMW DVD Tablet System online at a lip smacking price. The Same retails in India at 37500 +. Awaiting the delivery by my freight forwarding Agency. The Pictures as sent by the Seller. Bought this for about 21,000 and Customs + freight Forwarding is expected to be about 5000/-. Still a decent saving of 10K

The Box and Packing
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_57.jpg

comes with a Carry Bag / Sleeve
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_571.jpg

Instructions
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_572.jpg

Part Number:
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_573.jpg

Also Purchased the BMW Seal and Protect Car care kit better known as the BMW Valeting Kit. It comes with a Bag with compartments to store the following:
Car shampoo
Concentrated windscreen cleaner
Rim cleaner gel
Plastic care emulsion
Tyre shine
Bumper shine
Selection of sponges
Chamois leather
Polishing cloth
Alloy wheel cleaning brush
BMW Protect and Seal Bag

Once again, this retails at a price which is prohibitive to purchase. two dealerships have given two quotes: one was Rs. 18,074/- and the other was 24,080/-. Purchased this for Rs. 5000/- Customs + FF expected to be about 4000/-. a whopping saving of almost 10-15,000!

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_574.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_575.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_576.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_577.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_579.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5710.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_578.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5711.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5712.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5713.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5714.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5715.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_5716.jpg
Old 27th August 2014, 17:34   #36
BHPian

Any update on the hood insulator? Guys here said its not there in their part list for my vin number, so they are skeptical about ordering it.

Also read in a few places that it was specifically omitted due to excess heat production in this model. Doesnt make any sense..

Btw. front parking retrofit totally worth it.
If you prefer reverse cam you could go for that at the same price.

Also, mind sharing the source where you got your killer deals ( bmw dvd tablet especially).

Last edited by vinj14 : 27th August 2014 at 17:36.
Old 27th August 2014, 18:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Any update on the hood insulator? Guys here said its not there in their part list for my vin number, so they are skeptical about ordering it.

Also read in a few places that it was specifically omitted due to excess heat production in this model. Doesnt make any sense..

Btw. front parking retrofit totally worth it.
If you prefer reverse cam you could go for that at the same price.

Also, mind sharing the source where you got your killer deals ( bmw dvd tablet especially).
Same case here. trying to get a solution from BMW Germany. have raised a support ticket n OSS. I will wait for sometime for the Retrofits as i am not very confident about the abilities of my dealer to retrofit these locally. they may require the vehicle to be taken to Bangalore to their main workshop.

well the deals are on gumtree, craiglist and of course good old ebay. a More specific Site to search would be http://www.ekkiy.com which searches all ebay sites Also a Search on google with the part numbers gives a few interesting results. To negotiate and to have them ship to a freight forwarder in US or UK or to India directly is based on our ability to convince the seller! Quite a few websites in Latvia, Lithuania sell these items dirt cheap; also http://autowin.eu, http://www.top3racing.com, http://www.fcpeuro.com, http://www.pelicanparts.com, http://www.eurocaroemparts.com/store/home.html, http://www.schmiedmann.com, http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net to name a few. I must have visited at least 100 sites, registered, added items to cart, gone unto the checkout process just to check and compare shipping charges. And then there is http://www.unitedbmwonline.com where the price of shipping goods worth about $150 is roughly around $1200!

and yes i have placed an order for 10 pcs of the wheel cleaner Gel, which including shipping comes up to Rs. 7516.98. In India One pc of the Wheel cleaner Gel costs Rs. 1496/- and believe me this is one excellent product that i have come across!

Last edited by Sunilrj : 27th August 2014 at 18:39.
Old 28th August 2014, 17:03   #38
BHPian

Got a BMW key fob Leather from Latvia, P/No: 51210414778. The Part costed me Rs. 771/- Including Shipping. What a Surprise it was to receive a BMW Ball Pen As a gift along with the Order!

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0742.jpg

'BMW' Impression on the Leather

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0743.jpg
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 19:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Finally ...

Also Purchased the BMW Seal and Protect Car care kit better known as the BMW Valeting Kit. It comes with a Bag with compartments to store the following:
Car shampoo
Concentrated windscreen cleaner
Rim cleaner gel
Plastic care emulsion
Tyre shine
Bumper shine
Selection of sponges
Chamois leather
Polishing cloth
Alloy wheel cleaning brush
BMW Protect and Seal Bag

Once again, this retails at a price which is prohibitive to purchase. two dealerships have given two quotes: one was Rs. 18,074/- and the other was 24,080/-. Purchased this for Rs. 5000/- Customs + FF expected to be about 4000/-. a whopping saving of almost 10-15,000!

Attachment 1279066
Just to add, that Seal and Protect kit went obsolete at least 2 years back. Now the showroom carry the car care stuff in white bottles, different design.

Checking on the expiry date on some of the bottles might help. I hope your BMW stays as good as new always.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 06:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Just to add, that Seal and Protect kit went obsolete at least 2 years back. Now the showroom carry the car care stuff in white bottles, different design.

Checking on the expiry date on some of the bottles might help. I hope your BMW stays as good as new always.
Thanks for the warning. had been to the dealer to check up on this. They can still procure the seal and protect kit in case i place an order. the cost the other side of 23,000 INR. They also have categorically stated that there is no expiry date for most of the items in the kit.

as far as the white bottles and previous contoured bottles are concerned, a month ago i purchased a wheel cleaner Gel in the contoured bottle and paid Rs. 1496/- last evening i purchased the wheel cleaner gel in the white bottle. Cost Rs. 1835/-

a word of appreciation to my dealer. As the adage goes 'Give the Devil his due'
I had enquired about the Stainless Steel Pedal Set bearing Part Number: 35 00 0 410 100 which looks like this-

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-e90_in_edelstahlpedale_p.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-unknown.jpg

Installation Instructions -----> Retrofit Stainless steel pedal plates - e81,e82,e87,e88,e90,e91,e92,e93,z4, X series , 1 3 5 6 7 Se

Further in the case of this part the entire accelerator Assembly is to be replaced. The Set Costs about 11,000 and comprises of the Brake Pedal Cover and Acc. Assemmbly

Though initially it was said that the Part is not found in the BMW India EPC, it cannot be fitted. However Mr. Warad the Operations Manager and Mr. Ravi the Parts Incharge argued with BMW India on the basis of the Installations instructions that i had given them, and to my Pleasant surprise, BMW India Relented, and also sent the part within 7 days writing my name on the box !

Much elegant than the common one sold at the dealerships which are merely covers and which looks like this P/No: 35 00 0 304 643 ->

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-41kasvju7l.jpg

Installation Instructions ----- > BMW_Performance_Pedal_Set_Install.pdf

in this case, the Part consists of the Brake Pedal Cover and Accelerator Pedal Cover (No Assembly Replacement) and is to be drilled on to the existing Pedal Assembly. Costs 11,000. The other downside is that grime, mud etc tends to accumulate between the rubber fairings which is a pain to clean

Next Project is to activate the two lights that are supposed to be dummy in Indian X1's. the Inner projectors which come with a halogen Bulb. The wiring and Bulb Exists. the Code is missing. They are supposed to act as 'Park' Lamps as well as Cornering Lamps and light up when the steering wheel is moved beyond a particular angle to the Left or right. Mr. Warad has asked for sometime to pursue this with BMW India, Obtain the code and activate these!

PS: The prices quoted are only for the parts. The Labour Charges are always extra and not known to me, until the job is done!

Last edited by Sunilrj : 31st August 2014 at 06:39.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:56   #41
BHPian

Fitment of the Pedal Set Completed Today!

Mr. Warad Called me upa t about 3 and asked me if I was free to drive down and do the Pedal Fitment. The fitment was a simple Job. Disconnect the Battery first - The Accelerator Assembly was removed from its base and replaced with the New Assembly. The Brake Pedal was a bit difficult as the new Pedal Cover Rubber wouldn't slide into the Brake Pedal. Had to remind the Technician that the Installation instructions require isopropyl Alcohol to be used to slide it on. That was done and a quick Test was done for faults on the i-Drive. to be doubly sure as it is the first time this accessory is being fitted, it had been recommended that an OBD scan also be done. That was done. No errors found! vehicle ready to leave with a Bill of 12,164/-

This accelerator assembly seems to have smoothened the drive quite a bit. previously the vehicle used to feel Choked when put on eco-pro mode. today it handled the eco-pro mode very well!

a quick update: the seal and protect kit hasn't become obsolete. it is still available. the option to order the same has been locked for indian Dealerships for reasons best known to BMW India. The operations manager has told me that he will try to place an order. The pricing should be about 18000/- Part No: 83122334083

Last edited by Sunilrj : 2nd September 2014 at 20:00.
Old 8th September 2014, 06:56   #42
BHPian

One of the Packages of BMW Seal and Protect Arrived on Saturday. the sheer quality of the products packed inside will make anyone interested in car detailing and Keeping their car in top notch condition go crazy and gaga over it. the wheel cleaning brush reaches the far end of the alloy wheels and the wheel cleaner gel helps in cleaning out the back of the alloys, without having to put the car on the ramp. the tyre shine spray, gives a deep rich matte finish to the tyres, and makes the tyres look as though they have been taken off a display shelf at a showroom. the windshield wash concentrate cleans the windshield better than the wurth additive. the cleaning sponges are classy as also the chamois which is really supple and soft. couldn't apply the nano wax concentrate as it was lunch time by the time i finished washing the car. the bumper shine which is to be applied to the black matte portions of the bumper doesn't get washed off unlike the other plastic care products.

My Supplier in the UK is in the process of arranging two more BMW Twin Screen Tablet DVD Systems for two of my friends. Looks like Navnit, Mangalore will be running out of business soon. The DVD Players retail in India at a whopping 50K.

Also on the hunt for a donut wheel, with the ratchet wrench, Boot tie down straps, jack and Nylon Cover. Have been quoted about 29,000 by Navnit Motors. have asked a car Breaker Friend in the UK to find one for me for less than half the price

Last edited by Sunilrj : 8th September 2014 at 06:59.
Old 12th September 2014, 07:16   #43
BHPian

Received the second consignment from UK Consisting of a BMW Tablet DVD and Two BMW Seal and protect Valeting Kits. The first Consignment was of one BMW Seal and protect Kit. The third Consignment of 3 more Seal and Protect Valeting Kits is expected this evening!

The Tablet DVD System; Yet to Install it in the car as i didn't get the time

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0802.jpg

The Two Sets of Seal and protect! one has 10 liquids and the other 7.

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0803.jpgThe X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0804.jpg
Old 13th September 2014, 09:25   #44
BHPian

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline

Hey won't the tablet system have visible wires going till the drivers arm rest charger port?

Also any news about the sound/hood insulator?

Mind sharing the source your tablet DVD system? You can pm me if you would prefer

Last edited by vinj14 : 13th September 2014 at 09:26.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Hey won't the tablet system have visible wires going till the drivers arm rest charger port?

Also any news about the sound/hood insulator?

Mind sharing the source your tablet DVD system? You can pm me if you would prefer

Hi. The Tablet system has visible wires. however if you follow the installation manual, the wires are to be routed thru the outer edge of the fibre backrest or whatever it is called. will post a few pictures in the noon.

No news on the Hood insulator as yet. The Source for the Tablet DVD was a dealer by name http://www.schmiedmann.com

Last edited by Sunilrj : 13th September 2014 at 10:09.

Most Viewed