Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 07:53   #1
BHPian

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline

The what’s and the why's

Well here we are, yet again, it’s that time of the year when the itch gets the better of you and then in a split second decision, you decide that you want to upgrade to something better.

The Czech maiden detailed in my other posts (the Skoda yeti) has been serving me fine without any niggles and is about to celebrate her 2nd birthday on the 2nd of August. She still feels and behaves like she can be my trusted companion for another 3 years at least; but the long distance trips have been taking their toll on my shoulders and left knee due to the use of the clutch and shifting gears. It is for this reason I decided to upgrade to a car with an auto tranny.

Choice of vehicles and options before me:
1. BMW x1
2. BMW 320d
3. Audi Q3

Basically my requirement was of a car with adequate ground clearance and an auto gearbox, and style and substance. Being accustomed to the sturdiness of the European cars, I did not venture into the Japanese, Korean or the Indian SUV terrain

First checked out the BMW 320d, luxury line. Though the technical specifications and goodies loaded into it are the same as the x1, the low ground clearance made me think twice specially bearing in mind the roads that I frequent in rural Karnataka specially the Mangalore-Agumbe-Thirthahalli - Harihar Hospet road - Davangere or the Mangalore - Gokarna cross - Yellapur ghat - Hubli road, or the Mangalore - Shiradi - Sakleshpur road or the Mangalore - Ankola - Karwar route.

The next in line was the Audi Q3. Sent them an enquiry and no one bothered to call or offer a test drive and also I had read the official T-BHP TD review as well as a few opinions of car junkies who weren't quite pleased with the suspension as well as the steering. And then it comes from the VAG group which is confused with its strategy in India, and an inefficient service centre in Mangalore who haven't been able to rectify a HVAC error relating to a humidity sensor and a remote fuel flap actuator error in a friend’s A6 for more than 6 months now.

So finally took a td of the x1 xline and found that it matched most of my criterion, like the goodies of the 320d, plus a GC of 180 mm. The TD car was also in top notch condition even though it had done about 10,000 KMS and decided that I would go in for it. It was a rainy Saturday, and the car had been washed, vacuumed, polished and kept ready for my TD that was scheduled for 3.30 pm.

Yes people have their perceptions about the looks of the car. Some say the company has managed to sell a station wagon calling it as an SAV and others find the looks quirky, but for me coming from one quirky looking SUV to another quirky looking SAV the quirkiness didn't matter. And then like Shankar once said 'sometimes you need to listen to your heart'

But wait, the new x1 is coming by early 2016 to India, and the one on sale is nearing the end of product lifecycle. So why do I need to go in for the old gen x1. Reviews have suggested that the 2016 x1 will be a front wheel drive, unlike the RWD of BMW cars, which is the DNA of BMW

First a Detailed Ownership experience of the SAV

Not an SUV, Not a Crossover, something in between, that’s what the X1 can be described best as. On the exterior the Roundel logo on the bonnet, the all back kidney grills, The xenon lights with corona rings, the all black lower bumper with skid plates, and that too on a white exterior does command a lot of respect!!

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0551.jpg

After all it’s a Beemer!! it is also a head turner and as I drove back home after a painful delivery experience, the X1 did put a smile on my face and for a moment I forgot the traumatic experience that I had gone through. A roundel emblem and the Corona Rings in their RVM's and people did give way and let me pass. What otherwise would have been a 30 minute drive from the dealership to home was fulfilled in 15 minutes.

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0552.jpg

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0553.jpg

The side profile seems to be of a hatch + sedan as the first half looks like a sedan and the second half looks like a hatchback. The lines are sleek and crisp. However a rub rail is sorely missed around the waist. It would have been really good if a rub rail had been there, since people in parking lots tend to open their cars in such a manner that the cars around them end up with a dent on their doors.

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0550.jpg

The rear profile is of a typical hatch and the tailgate opens skywards. The doors per se feel German, but do not make justice to the term 'built like a tank' as the doors do not close with a thud, but with a thud-thump. The handles have small white LED's built in which act as puddle lamps.

Fire up the engine, and you would be wondering if you are in a 40 lakh car or a tractor, as everything vibrates and the vibrations can be felt till the base of your spine. God save you if you are on the outside, as the engine fire-up can be frightful. Even after 6 Starts since yesterday, my dog is still scared to go near the car!! However once on for about 2 minutes, the engine settles down to a purr, this is barely audible inside the car. In spite of the absence of sound insulation material under the bonnet, the sound does not filter inside the cabin. Push in a USB drive or a solid state drive or stream music through your iPhone and you will forget that you are inside a car, as the 180 watt 8 speaker multimedia system transposes you into another world. The sound is crisp, the trebles fine and the bass does really kick! And I just notice that I have not even driven away. It can be described as a feeling when you are lap of luxury a feeling of nirvana.

The all black interior is a welcome change after a long alliance with the beige-beige, beige black combination. I was actually getting fed up of seeing beige that I even stopped wearing beige trousers and beige shoes!! The sport seats with electric memory function are all encompassing as they take you in their embrace. The seats have more cushioning than the ones in the xLine, and have an extendable and retractable piece that can be adjusted as per need. The OVRMS cover a lot of real estate at the Back. These are controlled through a round 4 way button. Another button to their side makes them fold inwards, without needing to lower the windows down.

Below the door armrests is the light for ambient lighting, which can be adjusted to either amber or white, as per your mood. Moving towards the dash, the first one is a classy auto Headlamp lamp switch, the clicks from which are quite audible. Lower the sun-visors and you would think "what!!! A 40 Lakh Car and no lights for the vanity mirrors". Slide the covers of the vanity mirrors and the light comes on with a theatrical effect! Coming towards the central lighting dome which also houses the switches of the panoramic sun roof and sun blinds, there are two small LED's popping out an amber glow around the gearstick and i-Drive Joystick!

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0541.jpg

The dash board per se if of good quality and seems to be built to last. The satinised aluminium inserts on the dash board and around the i-Drive joystick and gear stick is sleek, smooth to touch and feels like aluminium. the aluminium is replaced with wooden inserts in the xLine and the expedition versions.

The I-drive display can be adjusted for split display with one half of the screen showing the navigation and locational details and the other being used to display the details of the music file Being played. The other options are:
a. The selection of Input music - whether an external drive thru USB, or streaming through bluetooth via the phone or CD or music indexed inside the I-drive which as per my research has about 8GB of space to store music. And yes if a SSD/USB drive is to be used to play music through the USB in slot, the drive would need to be formatted as FAT32 and not exFAT.
b. CD/DVD - Play music from CD's or DVD's
c. Vehicle Information Settings - Fine tuning of the displays like KM/L, L/100 KM, switching ambient lighting from orange to white, details of TPMS, service due dates, intensity of the backlighting of the dials, settings for the blowers to switch on automatically 15 minutes before you drive away etc.
d. Radio
e. Telephone
f. Navigation

Moving downwards on the fascia, the A/c controls and the CD/DVD player are encased in a piano black finish housing and the switches seem to be top notch quality. Below the CD player are buttons marked from 1-6, which can also be used as memory recall buttons of the I-drive.

The I-drive controller joy-stick has a 5 way movement. Direct access to the various menus of the I-drive is also provided by way of short cut buttons

The gove box is lit, and carpeted but at the most can hold a can of Pepsi along with the user manuals. Both the foot wells are lit! The central arm rest has a snap-in adaptor where the iPhone can be attached to use the BMW apps available on the Apple app store. further it has a charging socket and two cup holders.

The start-stop button does its job well of cranking up the engine, and works only if the key is inserted into the slot provided below it. The dials are classic clocks, clear and crisp and well lit. The light stalk and the wiper stalks seems as though they are built to last and do the job they are assigned. The light stalk in addition has a toggle switch for providing various displays on the MID screen between the dials.

The electric sun blind is sandwiched between the roof liner and the panoramic sun roof. The button on the central cabin light has to pressed forward/backward to retract the sun blind and reveal the panoramic sunroof. Press the button upwards and the panoramic sunroof opens in a ventilation mode. Press the button again and the sun roof slides behind revealing the cloudy skies! So before it pours down, let me close the hatch!!

The drive is quite engaging and in D Mode, the engine seems relaxed. Press the eco-pro Mode and the engine gets into a lazy mode, and snoozes whenever the brakes are pressed for more than 30 seconds. The S mode turns the car into a rocket, with shifts happening at a fast pace.

As far as the ride, suspension and handling is concerned, it is stiff but top-notch. The X1 glides over smooth tarmac and the feeling that you are in a German car sets in. The handling is ably assisted by cornering brake control, ABS, traction control and other gizmos that the chances of skidding or rolling over are minimal. Over some uneven patches all you would hear is the thumps of the suspension working overtime. Go over a bad stretch, the drive though refined and dampened, the tyres do make you come back to earth with a message that is meant to say 'drive slowly. You are on run-flats. If the run's become flat you may have to spend the night in the forest, with no towing assistance'!! The brakes make sure you come to a full Stop and the feeling of sponginess is yet to be experienced.

The first 33 KMS of ownership has returned me a mileage of about 16.5 kmpl.

The Significant Dislikes:

1. You sell a car saying it’s a sport line, but you hold back from providing sport line aluminium pedals which were present in the car pictured during the launch!
2. Come on BMW, you wouldn't want to save a few thousands by not providing a hood damper (insulation under the bonnet)! Just cribbing since once inside the cabin the engine noise is hardly heard.
3. The rear doors have a jagged exposed corner which is definitely going to result in a few cuts whenever I wash the car.
4. The absence of the hood damper makes the car sound like a tractor, whereas including one would have made it sound really throaty
5. It would have been nice if the X-drive would have been made available in this market.
6. Was I seeing it right or are there only two door sill protection plates? Yes BMW you wouldn't have lost any money by providing sill protection plates at the rear doors! Or did BMW forget that the rear seats do get used!
7. Cornering fog lamps which were standard in the yeti are being missed badly. They were such a boon on dark highways and curvy roads
8. Why BMW why? You don't provide the mud flaps as a standard option on your cars and charge 8800/- For 4 pieces of 'German plastic'
9. Lack of underbody protection plates as in the Yeti. This one is covered with a fabricky material.
10. The sports seats though have a better back support can hurt your behind during ingress or egress as the lump seems to protrude a bit too much
11. The view from the IVRM is like seeing through the telescope of Christopher Columbus. The view is so very restricted due to the small glass area of the hatch.

and Now the Likes:

1. The auto transmission is sheer driving pleasure. Being used to shifting gears at the drop of a hat, I can drive more relaxed. The gears were getting shifted effortlessly during my short 5 km drive back home.
2. The panoramic sun roof with the automated sun blind - classy, lets in a lot of light and makes the cabin feel airy. All operated through a button on the central roof light.
3. The sport seats have an extension that can be folded off - The sport seats seem to have a better back support than the regular seats of the X-line.
4. The suspension seems to be very good, actually a little better than the Yeti gobbling up road undulations without transmitting them inside.
5. The I-Drive. Being used to I-devices, the iPad, iPhone, MacBook, this is another I. Intuitive and easy to use interface.
6. The ambient lighting can be switched from orange to white.
7. The sun visors have a light which gets activated when the vanity mirror is opened.
8. The foot well Lights add a touch of class!
9. The corona rings and the headlights are in a league of their own.
10. The interiors are an all-black option which IMHO will be easier to maintain than the beige
11. The central room light of the X1 casts a romantic amber light on the iDrive / gear lever
12. The backlighting of the instrument cluster CANNOT be changed to white. It’s the ambient lights which are beneath the armrests on the doors, that can be changed to amber or white when the doors open / close.
13. The steering seems well balanced. Not too light as in the Q3 and better than the one in the Yeti.
14. The electric Seats have a good height adjustment range
15. The car holds its ground when put around tight corners. The Yeti Tyres used to squeal quite a bit and the traction control system tended to be overworking during those times.
16. The boot is huge and cavernous. Seems more like a pre-historic times cave that can gobble up quite a bit of luggage
17. The headlamps have an auto Levelling feature; and you can see the headlamps level themselves every time the car is started. So no more adjusting the headlamps based on the load in the car.
18. The bluetooth connectivity is Seamless. The entire pairing and contact book download took about 15 Minutes
19. BMW Apps can be used on the iPhone if it is connected through the lightning cable to the front USB input or into the snap in adaptor provided in the central arm rest.
20. The navigation system is accurate to the T. For testing I entered my home location and it was showing me the shortest way to drive back home!!
21. Electric seats with memory. No more searching for the right seating position after the guy at the service centre has moved the seat to fit his frame.

Add ons and Mods:

1. BMW Luggage Compartment Mat P/NO: 51472158364
2. BMW Roundel Valve Stem Caps P/NO: 36110421544
3. 3D Maxspider Kagu Mats: as the Antracite Rubber Mats Supplied by BMW are Lousy
4. BMW USB Charger for 12V Socket P/NO: 65412166411
5. BMW Boot Load Edge Sill Protector Transparent P/NO 51912154173
6. BMW Part CAR SHAMPOO- 83192339675
7. BMW Part EXPRESS WAX- 83192339677
8. BMW Part INSECT REMOVER-83192339684
9. BMW Part INTERIOR CLEANER-83192339679
10. BMW Part TREESAP REMOVER-83192339674
11. BMW Part TAR REMOVER-83192339685
12. BMW Part PLASTIC CARE EMULSIO-83192339682

These were ordered online through various BMW part stores, since the dealer said that they did not have them in stock, and backorder would take about 25 days; also the cost of the car care products turned out to be cheaper including shipping, as compared to the dealer quote.

The Following have been ordered from the Dealer:
1. BMW Front Mud Flaps :82162155852
2. BMW Rear Mud Flaps : 82162155851
3. BMW Interior Fragrance Starter Kit - 83122298516

and these are being enquired about with my supplier in UK
1. BMW Genuine Sport Pedal Pads Covers Set Aluminium Automatic 35002213212
2. BMW Hood Sound and Heat Insulation, along with the Mounting Plastic Screws : 51752990573, 51717007296, 51118174185

Dealership Experience

My initial visit to the dealership was on 22nd June 2014 to enquire about a demo car belonging to the same dealership but in a different state listed on a reputed used car website. The dealership being the one and only Navnit Motors who can mess up the entire buying experience. Enquired about the demo car with the Navnit Showroom at Mumbai. The price he quoted ex-showroom was equal to the price of a new X1. However after that the dealership never responded to mails or calls.

Then Navnit Bangalore listed three demo cars for sale on www.BMW.in under the premium pre-used selection, and when I sent a mail and SMS to enquire they didn't have the courtesy of replying. When I contacted Navnit, Mangalore, they called up the Bangalore Branch who said that the cars have been sold out in 24 hours.

To my surprise after 15 days, Classic Automotive, Bangalore calls me and tells me that they picked up all the cars about a couple of days back and enquire if i would be interested in picking up one of them. The X-files X-Lies!!

Thereafter I jettisoned the idea of a used or a demo car and decided to go in for a brand new X1 - xLine. Requested Navnit, Mangalore for a quote and a buyback price for my Yeti and the offer seemed delicious if not mouth-watering. Listed the Yeti on a few used car websites as well as in the T-BHP classifieds, but was not able to get a Buyer at a price point that I was comfortable letting it go. A few purchasers offered 7 lakhs, a used car dealer almost conned me into selling it for 8 lakhs another buyer offered 11.75 lakhs, another used car dealer 12 lakhs, for which I had a standard reply 'Which part of the car do you intend to purchase ?'

Now comes the real twist to the tale! Having made up my mind for the X1 xLine I decided to proceed to the showroom to book one and requested the sales executive to email a pro-forma invoice which he promptly did. He also confirmed that the xLine comes in an all-black interior option. But either the sales executive was not in the loop of things or BMW India has not communicated that the all black interior is not available on the xLine, the sales executive called back in an hour and told me that the xLine comes with beige seats and black carpets and interiors. I asked him to whatsapp me a few pics of the xLine that was in the showroom for delivery and there we were at square 1!! The xLine carpets and doors were beige and having owned a Vento, it takes not much time for them to turn brown and then black!

In the interim had exchanged a few emails with the sales executive about the finance offers etc. which were quite hilarious as well as annoying. If I had to actually go in for those options, BMW India Financial Services would have to shut shop! On 15th July the senior sales consultant stepped into the frame and called up his GM, who said that there is a sport line that had been allocated to the dealership and was lying at the BMW plant and in case I was interested they would pick it up for me. Since I have not been much of a fan of silver accents on the exterior skid plates and running boards and in the pictures of the X1 unveiling on T-BHP, the Sport line looked beefier than the xLine I decided to go ahead and book the sport line in mineral white metallic colour, with an all-black interior theme! The booking amount of Rs. 3, 00,000 was paid on Thursday, 17th July 2014 with an assurance that the sport line would be delivered within 15 days of the booking!

23rd July 2014: The Senior Sales Person sends me a Mail with the VIN Number of the vehicle. After doing a VIN search, and ascertaining that the vehicle is not a very old one, I give them the thumbs up to get it down to Mangalore. The dealer started pressurising me to make the full payment from this day, and I kept putting it off stating that unless I see the vehicle and do a quick PDI I would not release the funds. In the meantime at about 2.45 p.m. on 30th July the sales executive called me up and told me that his management was asking if I was serious about buying the X1 or was I fooling with them! What a way to start a relationship!

Also the Senior Sales Consultant called me and informed me that they would not be able to adhere to insurance quote given in the pro-forma which was about 71,459/- (which was matching the ICICI Lombard web quote Motor Premium Breakup.pdf) if the NCB of 45% of the Previous car had to be adjusted. He further said that his F&I team has informed him that the policy has to be issued for Rs. 1,25,597 and then the NCB of 45% could be adjusted and that the commercial discount and NCB we the same bmw insurance calculations.pdf. Navnit F&I team had decided to get in an additional 50K for their company!! Even though i quoted the India Motor Tariff on NCB (GR 27) , the ICICI Lombard FAQ Page on NCB, they stuck to their line of argument. No written confirmation was forthcoming from from them that 1. the quote on ICICI Lombard Website was wrong 2. the NCB adjustment could not be done. And this was their next blunder which prompted me to send in a stinker of a mail to Mr. Philip Von Sahr, the President of BMW India the link of which can be found here ------------>>> Buying Experience.pdf

Trust me the mail worked wonders and Navnit Motors was getting whipped from all ends by BMW India. The mail was sent at 9.15 am of 31st, was retransmitted to the management of Navnit Motors by 10 am with a demand for explanations on the issues raised and by 11 am I get an insurance quote of 37,401, after NCB adjustment and commercial discount.

I got information from the showroom that upon receipt of the mail with directions from BMW India, the mood at the showroom had changed, and that they that lost their cockiness and arrogance Before making the booking I had warned the dealer not to play games with me, and if they tried to act smart, they will get caned and whipped and whacked from all ends that they will not know where to run! Probably Navnit Motors never had got such a treatment in their entire business tenure!!!

The Vehicle arrived finally on 30th July at about 4.30, and I was informed by the dealer that I could do my PDI.

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0496.jpg

I went to the showroom did a PDI, showed them a few rust spots on the parts in the underbody and demanded an explanation. What followed is already detailed in the mail written to BMW India. Also the pictures can be found on my thread on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mangalore.html

The Yeti was bought back by Navnit motors on 31st July a day before the insurance was to end, (and I had taken a TPPD Policy for the Yeti starting from 02.08.2014 at Rs. 4509 to ensure faster NCB adjustment) as the buyer who had contacted me on car wale.com failed to keep up his commitment of making the initial payment and kept postponing the closure for almost a week stating that his bank had not given a loan confirmation letter.

The entire buying experience had been a nightmare, and to compound matters when I went in to take delivery of the X1 at 3.00 pm the following was noticed

1. The PDI had not been done properly. Tar spots all over the vehicle and the alloy wheels, the insides of the doors; the sales team started cleaning the same after it was pointed out to them
2. The rust issue has been ‘covered up’ using the underbody protection gel
3. All 4 alloy Wheels are having scuff marks, are chipped and scratched.
4. The rear hatch glass has multiple scratch marks.

The same has been noted down on the delivery note, Gate pass and Feedback form and acknowledged by the Dealer.
for Pics Visit : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mangalore.html

Rejected the floral bouquet that was being offered during delivery as the entire process hasn't been pleasurable. Have already contacted BMW India in this regard; and BMW India and Navnit Motors better turn me into a satisfied Customer soon!

To Wrap up a few parting shots on the night after delivery!
Attached Thumbnails
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0535.jpg  

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0544.jpg  

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0546.jpg  

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0547.jpg  

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0549.jpg  

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0545.jpg  

Last edited by Sunilrj : 6th August 2014 at 16:28.
Sunilrj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 10:51   #2
BHPian

re: The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline

The Delivery Note with My Notes:
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-delivery-note.jpg

The Gate Pass! Totally Dissatisfied!
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-gate-pass.jpg

The Feedback Says it all!
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-feedback-form.jpg

The Side Profile
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0550.jpg

The Kidney Grille and the Black Skid Plates
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0551.jpg

The Xenon Projectors with the Corona Rings
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0552.jpg

BMW Engraved on the Lenses
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0553.jpg

The sDrive Monogram! Navnit had to be shown the Method of Cleaning thru the Letterings
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0554.jpg

The front Mud Flaps! Costs 2000 a Piece! High Quality Stuff Tho!
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0555.jpg

The Rear Mud Flaps!
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0556.jpg

The Back Seat with the Black Door Pads and Silver Accents
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-img_0557.jpg

More Pics to follow!!
Sunilrj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 10:38   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 7th August 2014, 11:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sunilrj! Would love to read a comparo on the drive, handling and offroad traits between X1 and the Yeti
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:11   #5
BHPian

Congrats Sunilrj on your purchase!

Regarding the Audi Sales team, one of my family friends recently purchased the A4, very similar experience. No one reverted back for a TD for almost 2 weeks!
Old 7th August 2014, 15:43   #6
BHPian

Congrats Sunil! Wish you a safe and niggle free ownership. That is very unethical and not expected from a premium brand like BMW. I hope things change for the better soon.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Congrats Sunilrj on your purchase!

Regarding the Audi Sales team, one of my family friends recently purchased the A4, very similar experience. No one reverted back for a TD for almost 2 weeks!
The sales team called me on 6th, 2 days after i took delivery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Congrats Sunilrj! Would love to read a comparo on the drive, handling and offroad traits between X1 and the Yeti
yes sure! initial impression is that it feels heavier than the Yeti, takes high speed cornerings in a better manner than the Yeti. but yes the RFT's and suspension feels harder than the Yeti. the Yeti had a comfortable suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congrats Sunil! Wish you a safe and niggle free ownership. That is very unethical and not expected from a premium brand like BMW. I hope things change for the better soon.
actually it is unethical on the part of the dealer who represents a premium brand like BMW; and definitely not expected of Navnit Motors who represents BMW, MINI and Rolls Royce!!! Just like the higher management of Skoda India didn't have an inkling as to what was happening at dealerships and service centres, i presume even BMW India also was in the blind. Skoda India, based on my letters and other documents provided started surprise audits of their service centres which have revealed quite a few deficiencies and initiated a course correction. Hope BMW India follows suit.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 7th August 2014 at 16:01.
Old 7th August 2014, 16:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
actually it is unethical on the part of the dealer who represents a premium brand like BMW; and definitely not Navnit Motors who represents BMW, MINI and Rolls Royce!!! Just like the higher management of Skoda India didn't have an inkling as to what was happening at dealerships and service centres, i presume even BMW India also was in the blind. Skoda India, based on my letters and other documents provided started surprise audits of their service centres which have revealed quite a few deficiencies and initiated a course correction. Hope BMW India follows suit.
I totally agree with you, Brands like these shall have a proactive vigilance on their dealerships, at least then such incidents could be avoided. Any deviance from the management and the dealerships are bound to commit such discrepancies. Lets hope thing work out in your favor.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:00   #9
BHPian

Congrats!
You've got yourself the best allrounder. Loaded to the brim with features and best engine gearbox combination. But the discounts being offered is what makes it an absolute steal.

I picked up my mineral white x1 sport line 3 months back. Btw I'm getting a front parking sensor retrofit from BMW. It's going to cost me 1lakh but I really need it. Haven't driven a car without it for nearly 3 years. If you want the reverse cam BMW will do it for you for another lakh. These were the prices I was quoted here. But the graphical parking image is so good one doesn't really need the reverse cam.

What I found absolutely shocking was that the car didn't have adjustable lumbar support. But after three months I've finally found the ideal seating position.

Anyways enjoy this beast.
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Congrats!
You've got yourself the best allrounder. Loaded to the brim with features and best engine gearbox combination. But the discounts being offered is what makes it an absolute steal.

I picked up my mineral white x1 sport line 3 months back. Btw I'm getting a front parking sensor retrofit from BMW. It's going to cost me 1lakh but I really need it. Haven't driven a car without it for nearly 3 years. If you want the reverse cam BMW will do it for you for another lakh. These were the prices I was quoted here. But the graphical parking image is so good one doesn't really need the reverse cam.

What I found absolutely shocking was that the car didn't have adjustable lumbar support. But after three months I've finally found the ideal seating position.

Anyways enjoy this beast.
Yes absolutely right. the engine + transmission combination along with all the features and the attractive price makes it a very good buy.

Congrats on your mineral white! where is your review ? as of now I'm waiting for Navnit to sort out a few issues after which i will think on the front park distance sensors.

I found the ideal seating position after 6 hours in the car. Full height range utilised and the seat back at about 110 degree position.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 8th August 2014 at 09:21.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes absolutely right. the engine + transmission combination along with all the features and the attractive price makes it a very good buy.

Congrats on your mineral white! where is your review ? as of now I'm waiting for Navnit to sort out a few issues after which i will think on the front park distance sensors.

I found the ideal seating position after 6 hours in the car. Full height range utilised and the seat back at about 110 degree position.
Really havent had time for a review/ ownership thread.

Im really interested in the hood sound dampener. Car gets quite noisy when revved hard. Could you share some more details?? is it OEM? COuld you share the total cost of this particular part?

Last edited by vinj14 : 8th August 2014 at 10:28.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Im really interested in the hood sound dampener. Car gets quite noisy when revved hard. Could you share some more details?? is it OEM? COuld you share the total cost of this particular part?
its OEM. The part number has been given in the opening post. i have checked it also on the Electronic Parts Catalogue of BMW. however am waiting for access to OSS - Online Service System to be granted to me by BMW Germany (Login and Password)

As of now the dealership is blinking and asking me the source of the part numbers and have informed me that they are raising a support ticket with BMW India regarding the part availability.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Im really interested in the hood sound dampener. Car gets quite noisy when revved hard. Could you share some more details
This thread has some useful information

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011828
Attached Thumbnails
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-1.jpg  

Old 9th August 2014, 07:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This thread has some useful information

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011828
Just received a mail from BMW International on the hood damper / Heat + sound insulator for the X1 2.0d

The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-screen-shot-20140809-6.47.37-am.png

Quote:

Below mentioned part number screen shot attached , Other two numbers are rivets, This part is suitable only for petrol engines ,Presently part is not available with us and even in BMW warehouse, If you really want the part we need to order BMW AG

UNQOUTE

Though it is suitable only for Petrol engines, they have stated that if the part is really required, they could place an order. wonder what it means!

Also Have ordered the BMW Boot Load Edge Sill Protector Transparent E84 X1 51912154173. its a tough Army grade transparent vinyl sticker that is to be stuck on to the bumper top near the boot, so that it doesn't get scratched when luggage is loaded or unloaded. This was ordered from Individual BMW, Japan. The Part is also available at eurocaroemparts.com. Navnit Motors had never heard of this part

didn't want to use the aftermarket solutions available like i had used in the Yeti, as the stainless steel ones tend to bend and the 3M adhesive stickers aren't very effective in our climate. Also the ABS plastic protectors look very aftermarket.

ABS Plastic
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_12.jpg

Pre-Cut Carbon Fibre Vinyl
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-_57.jpg

ABS Plastic
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-kgrhqiokosfivgydojbsphyl9vw60_57.jpg

Stainless Steel Matte Finish with Rubber Inserts
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-kgrhqvgse8phq2hbpujrf8uf60_12.jpg

Stainless Steel with Gloss Finish
The X Files - Mineral White BMW X1 Sportline-t2ec16hhjikfhspvkjdtbselqhnkq60_12.jpg
Old 9th August 2014, 08:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Below mentioned part number screen shot attached , Other two numbers are rivets, This part is suitable only for petrol engines ,Presently part is not available with us and even in BMW warehouse, If you really want the part we need to order BMW AG

UNQOUTE
Thats interesting. Could one use underhood insulator meant for petrol cars on diesel cars?? Experts?

Last edited by vinj14 : 9th August 2014 at 08:12.

Most Viewed