Team-BHP - My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/153387-my-new-ride-volkswagen-vento-tdi-highline.html)

Since the time when Vento has been launched , there are quite a few ownership threads. The car has not changed much over the years. Vento ownership threads are one of the most active I have seen. Still each owner's experience is different and unique.

Need for Change:

The past few months have been very hectic as far as car shopping is concerned. Out of the cars we have two needed replacements. One was a 2007 Vdi Swift which did about 190,000 kms and the other being 2008 santro which has done about 150,000 kms and still continues to be with us, albeit in its protest ! Both these cars and especially the swift was badly beaten up with many major issues at the time of sale. These two cars were not at all maintained in the last two years and aged earlier than normally should. Swift had dents all over the car ( a completely ruptured rear quarter panel and part of the rear door ) , Non cooling A/c ( inspite of having it serviced many times ) , almost non existent tires , steering column issues ( spent an awful amount of money to have this corrected ) and an engine begging for attention and re-work , perhaps it was in its last stages of life. Sold off the swift @ 2.90 lakhs.

Replacement Options:

First we were looking for replacement of the swift. So started hunt for a car with budget of 7-8 lakhs. Primarily, we have been an ‘hatchback’ family due to budget range and also for the practicality of a hatchback and ease of driving.Besides, we have been owning hatchbacks since 1992 - our second car M 800. The first being Ambassador Mark 4.

Our association with Maruti ( changed over 7 cars ) continues since last 20 years , replacing swift with a swift was a natural choice, but I was not keen on it and was bored of driving Maruti cars. I wanted a change. However, Maruti is one brand that you cannot ignore.

But then , did also visit :-

1)Nissan Micra : Test drive the car and not very exciting either.Not interested. Somehow I cannot seem to like Jap cars except the Maruti, that too for the reason of VFM and A.S.S.

2) VW Polo. I was more inclined on the polo due to the build quality and overall it is a good car. However, the 3 cylinder engine was keeping me away from considering it. Turbo lag and heard many complaints on their 1.2 Diesel Polo. So decided against it. The GT is a good car and had other plans for the GT !

3) Punto - Another serious contender was the Punto. Test Drive the 90 HP emotion on 2 occassions and it is indeed a good car. Good handling , known diesel engine , acceptable interiors , back seat and I like the looks of the Fiat cars. One single point was A.S.S. Though I was willing to go ahead with the Punto, but being a family car did not want to take chances on the A.S.S aspect.

So frankly only swift would have worked for us.No issues with respect to A.S.S. and they offer good resale value. This time was considering the ZDi and took delivery of the vehicle during May '14.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-swift-final.jpg

need a car for my own use

By the time I was out of my teen years , I was doing long solo trips criss-crossing inter states. My work requires frequent travelling. From my home state TN , I travel frequently as long as Rajasthan.

My First Natural Choice: The Polo GT and the Change of Heart ( instead read Mind).

We being a ‘hatchback’ family I had my eyes set on the Polo GT TDi. Polo GT does not need any introduction as it is the father of all hatchbacks in India ! Some great reviews only re-affirms what a good car the Polo GT is. So went ahead and booked the Polo GT during May ‘ 14.

However, things were not good with the bookings and eventually had to shift the booking from Polo to Vento. . The car allotted to me was given to someone else by the dealership and when this episode occurred , I decided to move to the sedan segment from the Polo GT for the reason that I undertake a lot of long trips. it was about time to move out of the hatchback into the entry level sedan segment as it offers a better drivability on the highways and luggage space since I also do personal trips with family and friends regularly.

So the move to entry level sedan segment was not fully on the actions on the dealership but also my decision to move out from hatchback segment. But this thought sunk in and progressed after the dealership threw their hands in air on my Polo GT booking.

I never bothered to look beyond the Vento platform though I did look at Honda City ( diesel ) - but me being more about durability , sturdiness et all - VW platforms were more of a natural choice to me. Also I was not mentally prepared for the 1.5 Di from the honda stable just yet. Somehow I did not like the present generations Honda cars.

Besides Honda city was out of my ‘comfort zone’ and did not want to spend additional 30% for a car that I did not find very convincing.

Vento or the Rapid ?

This thought of moving to the next segment started with Rapid being quoted at 10.65 lakhs for the ultima version. The one without the climate control A/c. There is not much of difference between Polo GT at 9.35 lakhs and Rapid at 10.65 lakhs.

Primarily, I had two choices. One was the Vento and the other being the Rapid.

the final quote offered by Rapid final was 10.91 lakhs for the highest version ( climate control ) which also included the 5 years extended warranty and the ultima kit and free insurance for the first year. Add Elite insurance which is usually 1% of the Ex-showroom value makes it Rs. 11 lakhs Nett On Road.

On the other hand, Vento HL was negotiated on a final offer at 11.35 lakhs including free insurance ( Elite Assure ) and basic accessories which include mat , mud flaps & door sills and extended warranty for 4 years.

However, rapid was different ( or lets read better )

- Did not like the leatherette seats. I prefer fabric seats any day which the rapid offered.
- 5 years extended warranty instead of Vento’s 4 years. .
- The Rapid was coming cheap by 35K.
- Navigation Kit from Garmin ( In the Ultima Kit )
- Door Sills and other basic accessories ( Which even the VW dealer offered anyway later on )

- One thing the Rapid did not offer was the ICE with Bluetooth connectivity.

Then why not Rapid ?

But after a lot of deliberations I decided to go with the known enemy ( VW ) rather than the unknown ‘pretentious’ friend ( Skoda ). This decision was purely based on A.S.S , even if the difference between VW & Skoda w.r.t to quality of service was marginal. Our Skoda dealer is infamous - really and anyone from coimbatore will understand what I mean to say.

It was finally Vento HL - White colour.

A lot has been already discussed about the Vento by the owners. Its issues with respect to

-the fuel injectors ( the present cars are sorted out I guess )
-squeaking of the doors ,
-NVH.
-the worst of all the thud of the rear suspensions. ( Does Rapid also face the same issue ? and I think this issue has been addressed by a few vento owners)
-some lag and not very interesting to drive in city conditions.

I took note and understood these are the generic problems that I will face. But I also knew that over all I will get a quality product and also most of these would have been sorted out in the 2014 production of cars.

On the 2nd July (Wednesday), approached SBI for a loan. SBI processed my loan application on 4th July. .After verification of my address was done on 5th July , I paid my part of payment to the dealership the same day. The next day , Saturday July 6th. , the money was transferred by the bank to the dealership.

I informed the dealership that next day , I would be coming to their yard for inspection of the car and Monday ( July 7th ) the car need to registered in the morning and delivered to me by afternoon 4 PM. They provided me the VIN Number the same evening ( Friday ). Upon help from various posts on Team Bhp I could confirm the car was June 2014 production.( I did the same for other two cars as well ).

The next day ( Saturday ) , around noon I was at the dealership to physically inspect the car along with a copy of the PDI checklist of team bhp. All boxes of the check list was tick. I also noted that the front hood , boot and roof were protected with a film. The car showed about 24 Kms on the odo , tyres were apollo alnac 185/60-15.

Why did I mention about the protective film ? I will come back to this later !

Registration and delivery :

On Monday around noon time, I was at the RTO office to pay for the choice of numbers as we are particular about the sum adding to a specific digit. Since the dealership cannot provide this service , I got it done through an agent we have known for many years. The registration formalities were completed by 2 PM and by 4:00 PM , along with family reached the VW showroom to formally receive the car.

Was provided with a set of papers - extended warranty documents , invoice , usual document kit ( manuals, a leaflet on driving tips, radio manual ) , box of chocolates , customary pooja and handshake by the team leader who sold the car to me. Inspected the car again and found it to be in good condition. Personally, I would prefer a simple hand shake with the sales team rather than pooja rituals and party blasters.

Its all to mechanical for the dealers for the number of times they go through this process everyday whereas for me it was more personal.

We requested the dealer to send the car to home with their driver. I was trailing the car and we reached home at 4:30 PM. clap:

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-20140707_171427.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-20140710_123254.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-20140707_171846.jpg

After the 30 minute pooja at home , took the car straight to the temple, which has been blessing our cars for the last 3 decades.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-lordbalajifinal.jpg

Tyre Change:

From there on, took the car to our regular tyre dealer. I was fully prepared for the Michelin P3ST based on numerous suggestions by fellow BHPians.

But my tyre dealer always has an opposing view. He was pitching more for the XM2. His opinion was I should stick to XM2 since it would give a little better life when compared P3ST and also the sidewalls will be better. 195/60-15.

The stock tyres were Apollo Alnac and the dealer took them back for 2850/- and offered the XM2 at 5850/-. Paid a total of 12K something. While driving back noticed the car was super silent and immediately could say the new set offered better comfort. The steering was more lighter on stock tyres @ 35 PSI. However, my comfort zone is around 30 PSI and was set on the new tyres. The steering is now a little tighter but responsive.thats how I like it.

Usage pattern:

This car will be mostly used by me for long outstation trips. However, it will also be used for city driving but in a restricted manner. For running daily errands I will use other cars at home.

Thanks Team Bhp. Im using your suggested points to discuss ownership points in this thread. helps !

The exterior styling & design:

VW design is simple yet robust looking. Elegant timeless styling which will look fresh even after years.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontfinal.jpg

The front of the car looks nice and simple. The blackened headlights and black air vents adds desired contrast to the white colour of the car. Just the right amount of chrome on the grille and air vents, not over done.

Head lights and other lights:

The headlights support H4 bulbs 60/55W Osram which are totally useless during night driving. For now, have changed to 60/55W , Philips Etreme vision ( 3350K) which offers 100% more light ! Even these don't seem good enough. :Frustrati . Will change to 100/90 Philips Rally ( 3400K). Did not want to immediately fix a relay on a new car. Will wait for a while.Have also changed the fog light bulbs from stock (51W HB4) to philips extreme vision 55W.

Of late, looking at the white lights on other cars wanted to change all lights on this car to Philips Blue vision - H4 , HB4 and W5W and also the cabin lights.

Did change the parking lights to Blue vision W5W ( 4000K) - but for the headlights and fog lights when I checked with multiple sources they advised against this. The reason being poor visibility during rainy and foggy conditions.

So as far as lights for the road are concerned around the 3500K levels are the best recommended.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearnoplatelight.jpg

Alloys: Vento alloys are 6 spoke. Don't know what VW names these. These are wide open between spokes which is good for ventilation of the brakes.

I prefer Rapid's alloys though. They are classy.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-alloysfinal.jpg Attachment 1268634

The car looks more like the Polo with a boot. Having said that, it does not look odd. The rear quarter panel from the sides look good and blends well with the boot and the rear doors. It does not like as if boot has been simply added like in the case of Dzire or Xcent. Thats ugly in my opinion.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearindicatortaillight.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearquartpanelfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearsidefinal.jpg

- The rear parking sensors are neatly integrated on the rear bumper and not jutting out like in the case of after market set ups. one reason Im not able to agree for parking sensors for the swift.

Fuel Lid : The fuel lid opens by pressing the outer lid when the car is unlocked from the inside.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-fuellid.jpg

Boot & Access: The logo flip to access boot like in the polo or jetta is missing. I wonder what is the reason for vento not having this. However, unlike in the polo the boot can be accessed by the remote key. Additionally, key access to the boot.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-bootopenkey.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-bootopenrearlock.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-backbootfinal.jpg

Vento has a large boot. About 390 litres of space. Can accommodate 2 large suitcases , a couple of bags and some more stuff. This boot space is comfortably enough for 5 people on long out station travel. The boot comes with boot light which comes on upon opening the boot.

There is no panel covering on the below of the inner rear parcel tray where the boot light sits. VW thinks no body is going to bend down and look, so it doesn't matter !

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearparceltraybelow.jpg

The spare wheel and its supporting tools are located in the wheel well space below the floor of the boot. The space holds a spare tyre Alnac 175/70-14 along with supporting tools in a neat thermo plastic moulding and strapped. There is another termo plastic moulding that can hold quite a lot of stuff like cleaning towels, shampoo bottles, spare bulbs , first aid kit and other petty items.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-bootstepney.jpg

VW Quality: FULL Marks to VW for the nicely welded roof instead of the plastic black strips needed to hide the welding. Good job here and the roof looks clean.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-roofwelding.jpg

- The B pillar is enclosed in a plastic glossy black finish. A pain to maintain as the gloss wears off in the long run exposing too many scratches and swirl marks but for now it adds to the car's good looks.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-bpillar.jpg

Safety - Air bags , Seat Belts , ABS , window safety and child lock

- The vento is equipped with two airbags one each for driver and front passenger.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-vwlogo.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-acventfrontpassenger.jpg

- Seat belts for front two passengers and three rear passengers with pre-tensioners and height adjustable for the front passengers.

However, there is no audible seat belt warning. This should have been there for added safety. For a not so easy learning person like me , this is a must ! Having said this, I never ever drive without seat belts out of city range.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-seatbeltheightadjustmentfinal.jpg

- equipped with ABS.

- The car doors locks itself beyond 20 kmph speed.

- The windows have anti pinch mechanism. Very useful when small children and elderly are travelling.

- Absence of door lock from Inside is not good. When toddlers are travelling on the back seat child safety lock to open the doors from outside is to be used.

This can be a problem when adult passengers and toddlers are travelling at the same time on the back seats. I end up using the child safety lock and open the doors for both adults and kids when they want to get out of the car!

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-doorhandlefinal.jpg

Fine matt finish metal door knobs. Very attractive and add rich look to the door panel.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-clusterinstrument.jpg

Instrument Cluster:

- No temperature gauge , Damn !

All the other important indications are covered by the instrument cluster.

- Display shows :

time since first and last ignition ,
average speed and mileage ,
2 trip meters ,
clock ,
present speed on MDI ,
odometer reading in two ways - one is rounded off and the other with single decimal ,
Fuel tank range ,
realtime speed and FE average.
And also, outside temperature and
speed limit warning

However, the inside ( cabin ) temperature has been removed which was found in earlier polos and ventos I think.

Whats with the needle sweep ?

The RPM and Speed Needle sweeps on Ignition. I see there are lot of posts and discussion on this particular feature. Not sure if this was activated on earlier ventos/polos.

Mine is a June 14 production car and it is factory activated. Thought I will attach picture of the cluster staging ( needle sweep ).

By the way, is there any functional purpose here ?

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-needlesweepfinal.jpg

- No Outside electronic folding mirrors. In a country like ours where heavy vehicles can sometimes move really close especially city buses , loaded mini commercial vehicles , this is missed for a car this price / segment. Amaze has it. VW please learn some good from fellow manufacturers.

The ORVMs are fine in size and offer good view of vehicles behind. The 4 way direction adjustment can be done from the door panel. I just love the feel of the plastics inside. Nothing special , but simple , elegant and strong.

- No Dead pedal. I don’t think one can be accommodated in the vento as the space around ABC is less. Do I miss it ? yes.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-abcfinal.jpg

Horn , IVRM and a few obstacles and let downs:

I checked with VW and they informed the current horn are low pitch than earlier ones. So went ahead and installed Hella. There was no need for relays and only the set of horns cost Rs. 1450/-.

Bad quality inside rear view mirror. Too small to cover the back windshield end - end. Need to look upon after market options ?

- I did not like the greyish / brownish / maroons console. Jet black with or without beige ( single tone ) would have been better IMO.

The rear parcel tray is inclined, hampering drivers’ view during reverse. Not good. It could have been flat, though one could argue that the car has rear parking sensors.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearparceltrayfinal.jpg

- Rear Arm rest is large and comfortable. Since the rear seats does not split atleast the rear arm rest when folded should give access to the boot Small things makes big differences and life easier.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-reararmrestfinal.jpg

The font storage compartment is quite large and practical. It can hold quite a lot of stuff. The storage has coins holder , card holder and sunglass holder.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontstoragecompartment.jpg

Overall build quality and fit & finish

This is where the car scores over most others in its segment. The over all build quality is definitely good. The fit and finish is perfect.

- No mis-alignments between panels both outside and inside the car. Areas of welds are neatly done leaving no ugly marks.

- The feel and sound of the door when closing are an assurance to VW's effort on quality and build.

- The paint work does exude VW’s claim premium paint job.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-sideview.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-doorsillfinal.jpg

- The underbody protection as claimed by VW is definitely worth it and adds extra years to the underbody. VW claims 6 years of warranty against corrosion.

- The other day, car was full of occupants. While coming out of a building compound there was a slight incline and decline for the drainage. The angle was not very steep but mild.

On this spot the car was bearly 5-7 kmph and to my surprise the tow hook scraped the road. If it wasn't for the tow hook , the bumper would have been surely damaged.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-towhookdamagefinal.jpg

There are areas which I noted needed some attention:

The door beadings could have been better. It appears a little flimsy to me and wonder how long they will last.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-badbeeding.jpg

The back seat upholstery is not perfect fitting around the arm rest.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearseatloosefit.jpg

Interior design & quality:

The interior design is simple yet elegant.

The bashboard is two tone with the upper half being black while the lower beige in colour. Wish it was single tone in black.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-dashboardtwotone.jpg

- The steering wheel feel , fit and finish is good.

The 3 spoke wheel is leather wrapped , is comfortable to hold and gives access to basic function of ICE. However the one button missing is the source(or mode ) button.

If I want to switch between BT / Radio / CD / SD or Aux I need to use the HU. The whole purpose of steering buttons is not to wander around during driving. Switching between modes to 'glance' at each of them does take time. So this is an simple yet an expensive miss.

Steering is Tilt & Telescopic.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-steeringfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-steeringandconsolecombofinal.jpg

- The vents are neatly done with borders in metal finish. I will be keeping a keen watch over the A/C vents as I have seen a lot of complaints by both Polo and Vento owners on vents breaking or coming off.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-accentreconsolefinal.jpg

- The front arm rest has already started making squeaking noises. ( And the doors have also started squeaking too. So having WD40 handy. Very annoying.)
I think some rubber beading is missing in the front arm rest. Need to investigate.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontarmrestfinal.jpg

The arm rest top is leather wrapped ( as the seats ) and can hold smaller stuff like wallets and phone. connect the phone via BT and leave it in here. The back of the front arm rest has ac vents for the rear passenger along with a cup holder.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearacventcupholderfinal.jpg

The rear Ac vent dont have air flow regulator. Bad.

The front passenger seat can be moved foward / backward by the back seat passenger depending on how much legroom is required.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearacvents.jpg

The roof liner is strong and sturdy housing one cabin light for front and one for rear seats with 3 stage on/off positions.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontcabinlight.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearcabinlight.jpg

The passenger front sun visor has a vanity mirror. Both these visors hold on to good quality metal clips that make a nice click sound. This is where VW scores good.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-sunvisorfrontboth.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-sunvisorclip.jpg

- The doors panels are neat and simple. Good build quality. All doors panels are plastic without any upholstery. All four doors house the speakers with additional space and bottle holders. Adequate. The doors are two tone.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frotndriverdoorconsolefinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rhsdoorsfinal.jpg

The Centre console houses the A/c vents , Emergency Light switch and De fogger and plenty of dummy buttons. ICE and A/c controls followed by cup holders.

ICE system:

RCD 320 is a fine system.

- Options of BT / SD / Aux and CD.

- Speakers are OK for stocks. When I say this , I mean they are audible. Comes with 4 speakers and upgrade might be required.

- Though RCD 320 is a good system and nothing to complain about, but since there is an easy accessibility to RCD 510 at cheaper prices will be a good replacement without compromising on the stock looks. Will go this way, but a little later.

- The BT connectivity is good and In call is loud and clear. However, the BT has limits restricted to only answering , disconnecting and last number redial.
- Phone contacts don’t display on the HU , but songs list does.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontconsoleilluminatedfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-btincall3.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-btincall.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-illuminated-audio-ac-vents.jpg

Air Conditioner:

The A/c cooling is sufficient and air flow is rapid. Hopefully it performs well in summer as well. Something is a miss. The air flow is somewhat not right in its direction. In my case, it needs a lot of adjustments to get it right.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-acauto.jpg

- This space behind the centre console cup holder cannot be accessed easily if the two cup holders are engaged. Also a cup like think has been provided. I use it place my spare change and toll receipts. This space also has a lighter with an illuminated ring.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-cupholderposition2.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-lighterilluminationfinal2.jpg

Interior space and comfort

The seats in the Vento HL are leatherette seats. I prefer fabric seats anyday though they might be difficult to maintain when compared to the present ones. The general appearance and fit of the seats is good except the loose fit on the rear arm rest that has already been mentioned above.

The front seats offer overall good support , are well cushioned and contoured offering good shoulder , head and legroom and lumbar support.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-frontseatsfinal.jpg

Vento feels airy on the rear seats. Doesn’t feel stuffed in like the Polo especially the back seats. The rear quarter panels only helps in additional light coming in. Three people can comfortably occupy the back seat and if its a child in between all the more better since there is a large hump on the floor. The rear seats don’t offer satisfying lumbar support.The shoulder support and legroom is adequate.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearseatfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearquarterpanelfinal.jpg

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-rearheadrest.jpg

Inspite of this I ended up enquiring with a few guys here if fabric seat covers can be fixed on top of these leatherette seats. As expected all answered in the negative.

Engine performance & driveability in the city

1.6L , 105 PS is a real delight to drive. With its high torque its make even more easier to drive. I was expecting the engine to be noisy. But I think lately VW has improved on this aspect and the noisy is not as much as expected.

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-bonnetfinal.jpg

In city driving,

The free revving engine is quite a discomfort. Either allow the engine to free rev in city at 3rd or 4th gear or shift to lower gear affecting the FE or use the clutch. I don’t like both.

The clutch play is too deep. Not easy in city driving though my city is not as congested as the bigger metros.

speed breakers can be annoying for this car due to the back suspensions thud noise. In my area where I reside , EVERY road has TWO speed breakers at entry and exit of the road. Thats a major discomfort.

Over all its an easy to drive car in the city , but given a choice I’m more likely to pick up the swift keys than vento’s.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway

I have not gone on very long rides, but the 100 kms that I did on the highway , do indicate it will be a fine companion.

It is indeed not as much noisy as I was expecting. Turn on the music at its lower levels and its all fine on this inside.

The turbo is quick as soon as it kicks in. The 105 horses seem to work very aggressively and together in a team , resulting in a refined power surge.

The car sticks to the road and behaves well at corners on reasonably high speeds.

These observations are only based on less driving on the highway. Once I undertake a longer drive of 500 or 1000 kms I will come to know better.

Again, Hate the loud thud of the rear suspensions. Very annoying. There are a few vento owners who seem to have addressed these issues. Will need to investigate.

The braking or both Polo and Vento has always been a cause of concern. I’m not a very hard and fast driver and hopefully the car is equipped to handle my reasonable speeds.

Hopefully the ABS and good set of tyres will to an extent compensate on the short comings of the brakes.

Fuel efficiency : City and Highway

Currently of the little 500 Kms I have driven in the city , MDI shows a 16 kmpl return. Mostly city driving. It better be a different story on the highways.

Some accessories that have been added in the last few days/weeks. Some of them have been discussed and some below:

3M paint sealent :

- On the 2nd day of delivery, took the car to 3M for paint sealant. There is no waxoyl in coimbatore. Also, the teflon offered by the dealers are useless. So no other option but 3M.

During the 3M process, after the car was washed they showed me plenty of scratches ( to the clear coat ) on the car including the bonnet , boot and the roof. This came as a shocker to me. When I saw the car in the yard prior to delivery these three areas were covered with protective film. How could this happen ?

Did this happen at 3M ? These scratches were not visible to the naked eye during the day or under regular lights - but under bright yellow lights at the work floor of 3M only.

Even before the paint sealent treatment was being done I cross checked with 3M who informed me since it is a new car only the basic treatment will be done. Did he mean that only sealent will be used ? At-least I thought so. I thought ( but did not clarify or re-confirm ) with the outlet whether compound will be used or not.

My big mistake.

Or was it at the dealership ? I strongly suspect , these dealers in their zest to deliver sparkling cars to the new owners end up damaging the clear coat.

Why I think so: Because be it compound, polish or sealent/wax , 3M uses only rotary applicators. No manual jobs.

Whereas the scrathes were streaks. Long streaks. Not circular Just straight lines.

So now I have learned, be sure what is done to your car. Ask questions, dont assume. Even if you know.

Second and very important - take delivery of the car WITHOUT WASHING IT. It doesnt matter even if your car is dirty at that moment.

take it to a place like 3M or any car spa that you trust for simple foam wash.

There is months of dirt and grime on the car as the cars are stored in dirty open yards. at-least in my case , there was non tarred or non concrete surface , with bushes, trees and construction material all around.

Such is the absurdity of the dealers when it comes to storage.

I will be taking this up with the dealership very soon. But I know the end result will lead no where.

Fortunate for me, 3M was able to remove most of this unvisible damage to the clear coat.

Horn and Head Lights:

These have already been discussed in the initial thread. Anyway, just a glance again.

Headlights:

- Philips Extreme Vision 60/55 W for both headlights and fogs - H4 and HB4.
Total cost : Rs. Need to check, dont remember.

- Changed the park lights to Phlips Blue vision T10 - W5W ( 4000K). Rs. 250*2.

Horn:

Got the stock horn removed and replaced it with Hella. Non relay required. Rs. 1450/-

3D Kagu Mats:

These look beautiful. Biege colour. Total damage : Rs. 5300/- and below these PVC mats end - end including the boot . Rs. 2500/-

My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-mats-driver-final.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-matscodriver1final.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-matscodriverfinal2.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-matsdriverfinal2.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-matsrear2final.jpg
My new ride - Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline-mats-backfinal.jpg

- IND number plates: Front and Back Rs. 1200/-

What the dealership offered: Mud flaps and door sills.

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line to Ownership Reviews. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations !!!! Prakash. Thank you for taking time and putting all the details up here.Well there was never any doubt or second thoughts about the robust build quality from VW and you were mainly looking towards this quality in a car from what I understood from the review, so the Vento is undoubtedly a perfect match for the requirement. Also this car is a beast on highway and as I see you drive a lot on the NH's , Iam sure you will enjoy every Km you clock on it.Keep writing.
Thanks again.

Cheers,
pdma.

Congratulations on the new car Prakash. Thanks for the detailed and nice ownership review of the car.

I liked the overall build quality of the car, except for the door beadings which are shoddy. I never expected this kind of quality from VW for such a small thing as a door beading:Frustrati.

Enjoy the drives and have safe miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoseVijay (Post 3494883)
Congratulations on the new car Prakash. Thanks for the detailed and nice ownership review of the car.

I liked the overall build quality of the car, except for the door beadings which are shoddy. I never expected this kind of quality from VW for such a small thing as a door beading:Frustrati.

Enjoy the drives and have safe miles.

Thanks Vijay !

I agree with you on the beadings. But this seem to a problem not only with Vento but also with European version Golf , GTIs and VW Beetle.

Just today I was reading other forums and the discussions point out the problem is not with the quality of the beadings ( in some cases ) , but the designs.

VW in order to give a tight fit ( rigidity ) , the flexibility is affected ( gap between the beadings and the door ) during different situations/ climatic conditions. It seems thats where the problem is.

Does the squeaking noise frequency vary during different climatic conditions ?

In anycase, the beadings continue to annoy us and there is nothing much we can do expect :Frustrati !

Congrats on the new car mate. I myself am a big fan of Volkswagon because of the neat and classy design and the amazing torque. I almost booked it in 2012 when I was hunting to replace my wife's car. Ultimately bought a Duster but thats another story.

All the best and enjoy the new ride.

Hey brilliant review, my car too is a Jube 14 model however the boot does not open via the flip key. It has to opened from inside the car or with the mechanical key do you also face the same problem? . Also what do you use to wash your car? a specific shampoo or just water.

Congratulations Prakash for the Vento.
Many of the photos are dated 16/02/2011, is it the date when the car was purchased?

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariwell (Post 3495163)
Hey brilliant review, my car too is a Jube 14 model however the boot does not open via the flip key. It has to opened from inside the car or with the mechanical key do you also face the same problem? . Also what do you use to wash your car? a specific shampoo or just water.

- The flip key definitely opens the boot. Does your flip key indicate the middle button as boot opener ?

If it does, then better you approach VW Service to have it sorted out.

I use the two bucket method to wash the car. Alongwith Amway shampoo. Now that the amway shampoo stock is about to get over on my end, this time will go for Meg's NXT.

When the car is dusty ( but not dirty ) I use Jopasu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3495188)
Congratulations Prakash for the Vento.
Many of the photos are dated 16/02/2011, is it the date when the car was purchased?

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Thanks Sommos,

Oh no ! The car was purchased about 2-3 weeks ago.

However, the camera date/time was not updated to present one. regret the confusion !

Congratulations on your new buy and welcome to the Vento Club. Enjoy your drives safely. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash (Post 3495101)
Thanks Vijay !

I agree with you on the beadings. But this seem to a problem not only with Vento but also with European version Golf , GTIs and VW Beetle.

Just today I was reading other forums and the discussions point out the problem is not with the quality of the beadings ( in some cases ) , but the designs.

VW in order to give a tight fit ( rigidity ) , the flexibility is affected ( gap between the beadings and the door ) during different situations/ climatic conditions. It seems thats where the problem is.

Does the squeaking noise frequency vary during different climatic conditions ?

In anycase, the beadings continue to annoy us and there is nothing much we can do expect :Frustrati !

Hello,

this issue is solved by VW. There is a service Bulletin for this already. Please see the Vento user discovered features thread.

VW will put a film on the inner metal frame of the body where the door closes to eliminate any friction between the Door felt lining and the body.

OR

DIY - spray WD40 on the felt lining - after 4-5 sprays (repeated once in 3 months) the noise will eliminate totally without need of respraying.

Horn:

Got the stock horn removed and replaced it with Hella. Non relay required. Rs. 1450/-

Hi, Congrats on your new buy. I own a vento highline too (Sept 2013). What is the model number of the Hella horn you have fitted? My car came with only the low tone of the twin horns that used to come in the previous models. When enquired I was told that the highline model comes with a single tone horn and if I want the high tone component also, it can be attached at an extra cost of around Rs.2000.