Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 14:09   #16
BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

Excellent Thread. I have not seen anything like this before like saving the yesteryear photos, the passion for automobiles, the passion for driving, the way cars are being treated. Great son and a wonderful dad.
All in all your dad is a true blue T-BHPian by all his thoughts and actions .
Is he already enrolled in here ? if not, more than anyone else he deserves to be in here with all of us.

God bless all of you and wish your family miles of happiness in your segment leaders !
shinuak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 14:41   #17
BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

A wonderful new thread. Belated Birthday wishes to your dad and congratulations for his new gift. I would like to congratulate him for having an understanding and loving son like RavenAvi too . All the very best to him and his new possession.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 14:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
All in all your dad is a true blue T-BHPian by all his thoughts and actions .
Is he already enrolled in here ? if not, more than anyone else he deserves to be in here with all of us.
Very well said. The old school enthusiasts are like purists. They value the sturdiness, driveability and mechanical soundness of the car much more than the electronic toys built into it. Though, I am not that old, but I learnt my driving on a Fiat 1100D that my father possessed. I can tell you one thing for sure that it was a car built by heart more than the brain. Little subtle touches here & there made it special and this could have been achieved by none other than Fiat only in those days.
It will be great if Avi's dad chooses to be a part of TBHP. Also, reading his side of this story would be very interesting too.

Last edited by saket77 : 9th August 2014 at 14:56.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 15:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread mate, rating a well deserved 5 stars for such a detailed thread, it was just like reading the team bhp official review. Could see the emotions flowing and you must be really proud with your dad in the driver's seat of his birthday gift, my belated wishes to him.

Your dad really loves enthusiast cars, most dads will prefer a i20/Liva sort of cars with their light steering, ease of driving etc but he is just like us tbhpians, a true "Live to Drive" sticker must go on his car.

Swift is a great car, my friend recently got a ZDi and the handling, power, gearbox, maruti tag are all excellent. The only negatives are the slightly poor interiors and tin like build quality.

Did you contemplate a tyre upgrade? MRF's are really crappy, a change in the same size might do wonders to the car.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 16:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant read; and even more brilliant characters! Take a bow buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The Legendary Swift Experience Till Now:
It would've been icing on the cake if this part had voiced your dad's observations. Clearly, when it comes to cars, he has a different taste! I would love to hear how he feels about the Swift.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:19   #21
BHPian

Awesome thread buddy ! I can completely relate with with my dad who is of the same age and started his driving with Standard Herald, Gazel before coming to brand new Maruti 800 which we still have amongst other cars.
True passionate. His idea is to have a small car but powerful one and still finds our 27 year old Maruti 800 more powerful in lower gears than modern A2 segment cars and well he needs nothing but blissful engine, Period !
Have seen him hammer young Sales Executives who offer him automatic or feature ridden car in the same manner and shuts them up citing his driving experience greater than Sales Executive's age

Loved it !!
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:55   #22
BHPian

Belated birthday wishes to your father. Lovely thread, the best story I've read in a long time.

As a Polo owner, I have to admit that I was very happy to read about his love for Das Auto. While I hope he enjoys his Swift, I wish VW opens a dealership in your city soon. And maybe they'll introduce a manual version of the TSI someday.

If wishes were horses...
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 18:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much for all the wonderful wishes and thoughts, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A hearty congratulations to your Dad for getting the Swift. I am happy that he could connect the way he did with the Esteem. I am not saying it as I own one but my parents have been owning Maruti since long and I can associate the attachment with that brand.
A true petrolhead is one from the genes, he always says. How right he is!

Quote:
Read the whole review patiently and was so engrossed from start to end, I did get a few tears in my eyes when the surprise was actually revealed to your Dad.
It was an emotional moment for me as well. Once he turned towards his Silver Queen, then walked towards it with possibly the B-I-G-G-E-S-T smile I have ever seen on his face in my life, checked out his gift-wrapped car from all sides and then slowly fondled the doors and the bonnet - I tell you, that was THE moment a son waits for all his life!

Quote:
Buddy, a big shout and a loud applaud to you to take care of everything, every minute detail to have that happiness sparkling in his eyes. Hats Off Avinash!
Thank you so much, and another thanks for your wonderful thread as well. Been glued to it from the start, and spent many a late night poring through the details!

Quote:
Be driving the Swift since 7.5 months and I am dead sure this car won't depress your Dad or you. No wonder it sells.
I am loving every minute I get to drive it right now. The pick-up and the pull is really exciting! In fact, on my return home a few minutes back, I was seriously contemplating swapping my Empress with Dad's Silver Queen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Amazing report this one. Had watery eyes quite a few times reading it. Thanks GTO for sharing the picture too.
Truly said that all practicality and gizmos take a back seat when it is for the pleasure of your loved ones, particularly your parents. Take a bow!
Thank you, saket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
Happy birthday to you dad!! It was wonderful reading it, yeah teary eyed!!!
Thank you, Sanju.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Avinash,

I had a lump in my throat! Well written and many happy miles to your dad on his birthday.
Thank you, LS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Awesome penmanship Ravenavi !
And belated happy birthday to your dad!

Couple of quick questions - any reason you did not consider the Brio, or the Micra/Pulse?
Thank you so much, blackasta. I try.

I love the Brio, and took Dad for a TD when the Brio AT was launched. He liked the drive and the ease of the i-VTEC, but what he didn't like was the car's looks and the interiors. Quoting:

Quote:
"Let's drive to Raipur to check out some more cars, especially the Brio AT which has been recently launched."
"An AT? I have never driven an Automatic in my life!" He was completely surprised.
"Trust me. You will love the ease of driving of an AT, specially when it's a Honda." I assured him.

Next stop - the Honda showroom at Raipur, 300 kms away, to check out a brand new red Brio V-AT. My regular SP was on leave so another SP brought it out for the TD.

"Impressive engine, not so impressive car." he mused quietly. "I am not particularly fond of that rear." That was like a gunshot, piercing my intense enthusiasm about the baby Honda.

Outside.

"Okay, shoot." I had covered my face with my palms, knowing what was coming.
"I didn't like the interiors, side/rear looks. Looks like a toy car. Lots of fizz. Not understated or quietly elegant for my taste."
The Micra & the Pulse were out of the equation because neither Nissan nor Renault have a dealership in my city. A Renault dealership is underway but it will take 5-6 months to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also - you buy/sell cars a LOT - how do you manage it ? Any tips?
No tips, except that be ready to spend plenty when your heart clashes with your mind!

Just kidding - now that two of our current steeds are on EMIs, I am pretty much stuck with them for the next 5 years (at least)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
That was beautiful. I can't say anything more fitting to explain your relationship with your Dad. Congrats man and wish your dad many a happy miles on his new car.
Thank you so much, satan's_valet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Belated Happy Birthday to your Dad.
Really your dad is lucky to have a son like you.
Wish your dad a happy relationship with his Silver Queen.

Fantastic narration, a big thanks to you for that.
Thank you so much, Sommos.

Quote:
Excellent Thread. I have not seen anything like this before like saving the yesteryear photos, the passion for automobiles, the passion for driving, the way cars are being treated. Great son and a wonderful dad.
Thank you so much, shinuak.

I had to go through plenty of yesteryear photo albums to dig out those pics of Dad and his Premier Padmini. For all the years he spent with his Esteem, I am shocked that we don't have a photo of him with it! I blame myself for this. We should have had at least 1 snap of that.

Quote:
All in all your dad is a true blue T-BHPian by all his thoughts and actions.
No he isn't. He's a hardcore petrolhead so yes, T-BHP would suit him to a T, and he is hooked to the forum as well (checks out the official reviews and the Indian Car Scene on his laptop at nights). But he doesn't want to be a member here. As he said once - "I don't want to bore your generation by all the vintage stuff I swear by. They would chase me away for being a relic!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
A wonderful new thread. Belated Birthday wishes to your dad and congratulations for his new gift. I would like to congratulate him for having an understanding and loving son like RavenAvi too. All the very best to him and his new possession.
Thank you, Seran Manian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Very well said. The old school enthusiasts are like purists. They value the sturdiness, driveability and mechanical soundness of the car much more than the electronic toys built into it. Though, I am not that old, but I learnt my driving on a Fiat 1100D that my father possessed. I can tell you one thing for sure that it was a car built by heart more than the brain. Little subtle touches here & there made it special and this could have been achieved by none other than Fiat only in those days.
It will be great if Avi's dad chooses to be a part of TBHP. Also, reading his side of this story would be very interesting too.
I could swear that the Padmini we had, had an engine built of pure gold! What a fantastic Fiat powerplant it was! Dad drove her through all sorts of roads, even through stretches where there were NO roads, and she drove absolutely beautifully. Her last long journey was a 2-day trip all the way from Bhopal to here, covering almost 900 kms, back in 2003!

More than anything, I would LOVE for him to be a member here. But I know he's content to stay as an outsider and pore through the threads in his leisure. His retired-life routine is set and doesn't divert from it. Besides, he's an avid reader.

I shall try to convince him again but no guarantees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Excellent thread mate, rating a well deserved 5 stars for such a detailed thread, it was just like reading the team bhp official review. Could see the emotions flowing and you must be really proud with your dad in the driver's seat of his birthday gift, my belated wishes to him.
Thank you so much, coolboy007. I can tell you this - the moment he drove out from the dealership sharing a nice, hearty laugh with my Dad-in-law, was a moment to cherish. I have it all on video and have watched it at least 10 times till now. Can't get tired of it!

Quote:
Your dad really loves enthusiast cars, most dads will prefer a i20/Liva sort of cars with their light steering, ease of driving etc but he is just like us tbhpians, a true "Live to Drive" sticker must go on his car.
Oh yes, no light EPS steerings for him, and no Automatics either. He's strictly old school, and loves those hydraulic units and absolutely NEEDS a clutch + gearbox. The feel of shifting gears can never grow old!

Quote:
Swift is a great car, my friend recently got a ZDi and the handling, power, gearbox, maruti tag are all excellent. The only negatives are the slightly poor interiors and tin like build quality.
I agree. The body panels are thin but now, comparing to my 2014 Honda City's build, I must say Maruti-Suzuki must be commended. Interiors are a leap forward in this generation's Swift, although it's not as plush as most of the competition. Hyundai is light years ahead in this regard.

Quote:
Did you contemplate a tyre upgrade? MRF's are really crappy, a change in the same size might do wonders to the car.
Not yet. Since the car will be driven extensively in the city and it is Dad's car, unless he asks for it, I am sticking to OEM. I have gone for the 4th Year Extended Warranty package so I don't want to risk voiding it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Brilliant read; and even more brilliant characters! Take a bow buddy!

It would've been icing on the cake if this part had voiced your dad's observations. Clearly, when it comes to cars, he has a different taste! I would love to hear how he feels about the Swift.
Thank you, schakravarthy.

I shall definitely get his opinion on the Swift Experience so far. But I can say this much - I have never seen him more happier in recent times, except for the moment when he held my little Princess in his arms for the first time.

He's not at home right now. Two purposeless trips - one in the morning, another in the evening - is what he is doing in his Silver Queen right now. He's back to his leisurely-driving days, and she's clocked 100 kms already!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Awesome thread buddy ! I can completely relate with with my dad who is of the same age and started his driving with Standard Herald, Gazel before coming to brand new Maruti 800 which we still have amongst other cars.
True passionate. His idea is to have a small car but powerful one and still finds our 27 year old Maruti 800 more powerful in lower gears than modern A2 segment cars and well he needs nothing but blissful engine, Period !
Have seen him hammer young Sales Executives who offer him automatic or feature ridden car in the same manner and shuts them up citing his driving experience greater than Sales Executive's age

Loved it !!
Thank you, Cooltronics. I can completely relate to that!

I remember when I bought my Pegasus (2012 Honda City), that was the only car he approved from the current lot, just because of the i-VTEC. He was pretty disappointed by the build quality and interiors, though. The only other car he loved back then was the Linea, for which he now says "has lost it's character with that outlandish front and those tacky interiors".

He still rates the Palio GTX very highly. The best car in India, according to him. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Belated birthday wishes to your father. Lovely thread, the best story I've read in a long time.

As a Polo owner, I have to admit that I was very happy to read about his love for Das Auto. While I hope he enjoys his Swift, I wish VW opens a dealership in your city soon. And maybe they'll introduce a manual version of the TSI someday.

If wishes were horses...
Thank you, TLK.

The Polo remains his first choice even now. Oh yes, how I wished VW had a dealership in our city, specially for this purchase! It would have been my first choice for him, all it's negatives notwithstanding. I can only imagine what his reaction would have been, if he saw a red Polo all gift-wrapped and ready in front of our home. Oh well!

But still, with a tinge of regret, I am glad he's happy with his Swift. Maybe after 5 years, when the EMIs are over and there's a VW showroom in town...who knows?!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th August 2014 at 18:38.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 19:30   #24
BHPian

What a Wonderful review!! Your dad truly is lucky to have someone as caring and understanding as you for a son! The part where you revealed the car to your dad really choked me up! Congratulations and Belated Birthday Wishes to your dad... Hope both of you have a wonderful time with this fabulous car! God Bless, mate!
krishnadevjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 20:35   #25
BHPian

Belated Happy Birthday to your Dad,You and you Dad are lucky to have each other
Happy Driving..
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 21:07   #26
BANNED

Quote:
It was an emotional moment for me as well. Once he turned towards his Silver Queen, then walked towards it with possibly the B-I-G-G-E-S-T smile I have ever seen on his face in my life, I tell you, that was THE moment a son waits for all his life!
That feeling you'll want to see a million times if you have recorded as a video. It is just Priceless! For everything else there's Master Card.

Quote:
Thank you so much, and another thanks for your wonderful thread as well. Been glued to it from the start, and spent many a late night poring through the details!
I am happy that my thread is being put to good use. Shall keep updating it regularly as I clock miles.

Before purchasing the Swift, even I used to keep oggling at other threads visualising my Swift. Ah! Very special moment.

Quote:
I am loving every minute I get to drive it right now. The pick-up and the pull is really exciting! In fact, on my return home a few minutes back, I was seriously contemplating swapping my Empress with Dad's Silver Queen!
Lol! This is addiction now. In spite of driving a powerful diesel car (Honda City) you are craving for the Swift ZXi.

Congratulations once again.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th August 2014 at 21:10.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 21:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!! awesome thread right here, I might be young but I still prefer car which connects with me rather than well finished cars. Wish we had more FTD cars with good fit and finish for the masses. Hope I could gift my dad his dream car some day.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 21:59   #28
BHPian

Belated birthday wishes to your Dad, Raven.

Great narration to go with timely and timeless pics.

I was in tears literally reading through your posts. Made me remember my Dad whom I had lost when I was 12. You both are lucky to have each other. Now I can only wish my son reads this thread in future.

I never liked Swift, but your posts made me like it better than any other time.

Wishing your Dad and his Silver Queen all the best...

Your Mom sure looks like a stunner in her days along with with the Padmini she is standing next to.. Please pass on my compliments to her and my wishes to your Dad.

Thanks GTO for sharing the pic.

Thanks
Badri
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 22:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful report. I want to do something like this for my dad. If only Mitsubishi could launch the Lancer again
And before I forget, belated Happy birthday to him!
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 23:15   #30
BHPian

Congratulations ravenavi for yet another gem in your garage , loved reading this review of yours , not only does this cover all the aspects of the car but is also a very heartwarming tale of father and son , me and my dad share the same passion towards cars and he used to read me overdrive and autocar as a kid (when i was little ,6-7 years old) and it all started then , even my earliest memories are from the hyundai showroom when he took me to take delivery of our santro (was 5 then).
We had a swift too a few years back with the G Series engine your dad loved in the esteem , although i was far from legal driving age at that time but that's the first car i drove (inside a farm).
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks