Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 01:02   #31
BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

Kudos!!! What an amazing write-up. Couldn't think of leaving without getting to the end of your review. Now trying express my gratitude with moist eyes and a lump in my throat. Your dad's passion for the automobile and your love for your dad deserved a heartfelt applause. I still remember my dad's face lighting up like a Christmas tree when he drove my car for the first time.
Dads are special, the guy who gives so much and asks for so little. Congratulations and belated happy birthday to you dad. Keep on revving.

PS : This thread deserves a 5 Star all the way.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 01:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

Parents with the selfless nature towards their children go out of the way to make sure their child gets a comfortable life. This has been happening from the very beginning, but, when a child does something good for the parents its the happiest moment for them.

I really loved the way you surprised your dad with such a wonderful gift. Congrats for owning one of the most practical, user friendly and modification friendly car. May you, your dad and your family have millions of happy moments with it and may it always remain as good-looking as its now.

Like you I too share a really loving bond with my Paa. He has always stood by me. Yaar, hats off to you for writing a review that beautifully shows your emotions and describes the new entrant in a detailed manner in the same time.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ad3952n : 10th August 2014 at 01:58. Reason: Good luck!
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 03:17   #33
BHPian

A brilliant and fantastic write up capturing every single strand of the love you share with your dad , he must have been very happy with the gift he had received from you, but more importantly a very proud man to have a son like you, I pray fervently that the bond & love grows stronger with each passing day , can relate to your emotions as well as I went through a very similar feeling when I surprised my dad last Christmas by gifting him a Verna, and I truly feel that words cannot adequately express the memories and feelings ! Please wish your dad belated birthday wishes on my behalf.
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 05:34   #34

Belated Happy Birthday to your Dad.

A hearty congratulations to your Dad for getting the Swift. It was wonderful reading it, yeah I had tears in my eyes. Many people have rightly pointed that your parents are lucky to have son like you. Without any disagreement I would say, it was there upbringing which has made you what your are. Hats off to your parents, hats off to you.
God Bless!!!
ArchitectIT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:44   #35
BHPian

Your post has lightened up my Sunday. Reading the replies from others I guess i was not the only one with wet eyes while reading about the delivery ceremony. The purist views of your dad regarding automobiles has brought alive in all readers the inherent underlying passion towards real cars from which we all have strayed away instead valuing puny things such as gizmos or fit&finish or even mileage over the actual character of the car and its heart the engine. At the end of the day if sheer driving pleasure is what you want, the connect between you the steering, the chassis and the road is all that matters, not blue tooth connectivity or keyless entry. A very happy belated birthday to your dad. HE deserves a son like you. Makes me feel very ashamed that i have never done anything like this for my dad, who is also an old school automobile afficinado but now a little too old to drive cars.

5 stars !!
gitartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much for the wonderful wishes, guys.

I have shown Dad the whole thread and all your good wishes, and he replies that he's really thankful and grateful to GTO and the entire Team-BHP community for making this special event a really memorable one for him, and in his words, "make an old man feel he's belonged."

He also said he loved the photo of GTO's Dad, and wondered if that was a Willys jeep he was sitting in! I said it was the Thar, and he replied that he was reminded of the Indian Willys jeep from the 70s/early 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Congratulations and Belated Birthday Wishes to your dad... Hope both of you have a wonderful time with this fabulous car! God Bless, mate!
Thank you so much, krishnadevjs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Belated Happy Birthday to your Dad,You and you Dad are lucky to have each other
Thank you, kn09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is just Priceless! For everything else there's Master Card.

Quote:
I am happy that my thread is being put to good use. Shall keep updating it regularly as I clock miles.
I have your thread bookmarked in Dad's laptop, alongwith a few other Swift ownership threads. He's currently studying the manual and GTO's official review, and shall shortly start poring through the ownership reviews as well.

Quote:
Lol! This is addiction now. In spite of driving a powerful diesel car (Honda City) you are craving for the Swift ZXi.
Petrolhead by heart. I can't help it. I am actually enjoying the "surges" in the 2nd and 3rd gears. Gosh, the pickup of the Swift is addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I might be young but I still prefer car which connects with me rather than well finished cars. Wish we had more FTD cars with good fit and finish for the masses. Hope I could gift my dad his dream car some day.
Thank you, giri1.8.

No car is perfect - those with pure dynamite under their hoods have average/mediocre build quality, and those with superb build/fit and finish have average/less-than-stellar engines. In the budget bracket, we have to compromise one way or the other.

Here's to hoping your wish comes true in the future as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I was in tears literally reading through your posts. Made me remember my Dad whom I had lost when I was 12. You both are lucky to have each other. Now I can only wish my son reads this thread in future.
Thank you, Badri. Condolences and a hug from my side as well.

Quote:
I never liked Swift, but your posts made me like it better than any other time.
Even I didn't like it. The Swift was never a choice for me just because of it's looks alone. But the car is now growing on me. All other shortcomings are forgiven when you have such a fantastic engine under your hood, and that is the primary factor we look for in a car.

Quote:
Your Mom sure looks like a stunner in her days along with with the Padmini she is standing next to.. Please pass on my compliments to her and my wishes to your Dad.
Thank you! I passed it on to her last night and she actually blushed! She's not used to compliments, but she was happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Wonderful report. I want to do something like this for my dad. If only Mitsubishi could launch the Lancer again.
And before I forget, belated Happy birthday to him!
Thank you, extreme_torque. You never know - wishes CAN come true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
me and my dad share the same passion towards cars and he used to read me overdrive and autocar as a kid (when i was little ,6-7 years old) and it all started then , even my earliest memories are from the hyundai showroom when he took me to take delivery of our santro (was 5 then).
Thank you so much, Rocketscience.

My initiation into the world of cars came from our Padmini, and developed by Dad's subscription to the Indian Auto Journal magazine back in the 90s. During my college days, I remember taking out the centerfold posters inside the IAJ, of all the foreign beauties of those times - Lamborghinis, Porsches, Maseratis, Rally cars, etc., and sticking them on the walls of my room. I distinctly remember Hormazd Sorabjee reporting for IAJ, and Farad Bhathena winning anything and everything around him! Ah, the days of the legendary Alain Prost!

And so the second petrolhead of our family was born!

Quote:
We had a swift too a few years back with the G Series engine your dad loved in the esteem , although i was far from legal driving age at that time but that's the first car i drove (inside a farm).
Dad still swears by the Esteem's engine, and only yesterday evening he was saying how good it was. According to him, even the Swift's VVT & the Ritz's DDiS are nowhere close to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
I still remember my dad's face lighting up like a Christmas tree when he drove my car for the first time.
Dads are special, the guy who gives so much and asks for so little.
Thank you so much, Burn_out.

Indeed, parents give their hearts out to their children and expect nothing in return. Their presence, guidance and favors in anyone's life can never be returned. This is just something I could do to make him happy again, and I am glad he's found a bit of happiness through me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I really loved the way you surprised your dad with such a wonderful gift. Congrats for owning one of the most practical, user friendly and modification friendly car. May you, your dad and your family have millions of happy moments with it and may it always remain as good-looking as its now.
Thank you so much, ad3952n. You have summed it up really beautifully. I have nothing else to say in reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
I pray fervently that the bond & love grows stronger with each passing day , can relate to your emotions as well as I went through a very similar feeling when I surprised my dad last Christmas by gifting him a Verna, and I truly feel that words cannot adequately express the memories and feelings !
Thank you so much, vickzkool.

Oh yes, the moment when your Dad would have seen the Verna on Christmas and the expression on his face, would have made your life complete. It cannot be expressed in any amount of words, trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectIT View Post
A hearty congratulations to your Dad for getting the Swift. It was wonderful reading it, yeah I had tears in my eyes. Many people have rightly pointed that your parents are lucky to have son like you. Without any disagreement I would say, it was there upbringing which has made you what your are. Hats off to your parents, hats off to you.
Thank you so much, ArchitectIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Your post has lightened up my Sunday. Reading the replies from others I guess i was not the only one with wet eyes while reading about the delivery ceremony. The purist views of your dad regarding automobiles has brought alive in all readers the inherent underlying passion towards real cars from which we all have strayed away instead valuing puny things such as gizmos or fit&finish or even mileage over the actual character of the car and its heart the engine. At the end of the day if sheer driving pleasure is what you want, the connect between you the steering, the chassis and the road is all that matters, not blue tooth connectivity or keyless entry.
Thank you very much, gitartha.

Indeed, our generation has swayed so much from the pure driving pleasures which cars provide, that we value creature comforts and frill features over engines and ride qualities these days. This is just a reminder from our earlier generation that cars are still judged by their basics, and not by fancy stuff in them. He never had any of these modern-day stuff in his cars, yet he loved driving them extensively - a testament to his pure petrolhead nature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
A very happy belated birthday to your dad. HE deserves a son like you. Makes me feel very ashamed that i have never done anything like this for my dad, who is also an old school automobile afficinado but now a little too old to drive cars.
Don't worry. Every moment you spend with your Dad and make him feel belonged in your life, is a jewel for him. Even if he's become too old to drive, make sure he sits in the car's front with you, and make him feel comfortable throughout the rides/journeys. I assure you, he would be very happy and contented even by that much.

Parents love attention from their children, specially when they cross their 60s, because that's when they retire from active life and need to be taken care of, health-wise and mental support-wise. Once we provide that, they will always remain happy and that in turn, will keep us happy as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th August 2014 at 13:09.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 13:19   #37
BHPian

Your dad sure is lucky to have caring son like you. Wishing him years of fun driving with the swift.
And, Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 14:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thank you so much, Rocketscience.

Dad still swears by the Esteem's engine, and only yesterday evening he was saying how good it was. According to him, even the Swift's VVT & the Ritz's DDiS are nowhere close to it!
I would have to agree with your dad here , although i have not driven the brio and swift extensively and only have experience with 1.2 Kappa in my i20 , but to me all these three mills could'nt bring that smile to my face and felt somewhat flat , City petrol however was outstanding , the drive was very involving and entertaining.

Quote:
Indeed, our generation has swayed so much from the pure driving pleasures which cars provide, that we value creature comforts and frill features over engines and ride qualities these days. This is just a reminder from our earlier generation that cars are still judged by their basics, and not by fancy stuff in them. He never had any of these modern-day stuff in his cars, yet he loved driving them extensively - a testament to his pure petrolhead nature!

Could'nt agree more with this statement , just last week i drove my cousin's verna and had smile permanently plastered on my face , the way it took off after 2000 RPM and that too so smoothly and sounding like a petrol engine made me wonder if i had made the right choice with the city , i mean its excellent in the city but out on the highway it does leaves a lot to desire , i went against the verna because of the ground clearance issue (my cousin can't stop talking how frustrating it is that the car scrapes every now and then) , and because of the fact that post driving the underpowered i20 petrol i somewhat got frustrated and decided not to go with a hyundai this time , the car has been around for a couple of years now and looks somewhat dated, city however was a new launch , was exciting , looked fresh , not that i regret choosing the city but yes , had i gone after the engine , verna would have been the clear choice.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 10th August 2014 at 14:07.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 15:21   #39
Team-BHP Support

Extremely well-written piece Avi

Very happy for your dad, and job well done mate!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 17:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful write up! I doff my hat at your father - he's a man who says it like it is

I share his exact same feelings about the cars you wrote!

Here's wishing him miles of smiles with the new Swift!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 19:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Your dad sure is lucky to have caring son like you. Wishing him years of fun driving with the swift.
And, Thank you very much for sharing your experience!
Thank you, whitewing.

Quote:
I would have to agree with your dad here , although i have not driven the brio and swift extensively and only have experience with 1.2 Kappa in my i20 , but to me all these three mills could'nt bring that smile to my face and felt somewhat flat , City petrol however was outstanding , the drive was very involving and entertaining.
The 1.2 mill of the i20 is underwhelming, I have to admit also. The i-VTEC is in a different class altogether, lag in lower RPMs notwithstanding. It's a gem of an engine, with a classy mix of mileage and outright power. The VTEC "kick" after 120 kph is absolute bliss!

Trust me, the Brio & the Swift have very competent petrol mills in them too. You just have to take a TD on an open stretch to experience the delight of both these machines. The Brio is very peppy and quick off the blocks, while the Swift is an eager galloper once she hits her sweet spots.

Quote:
Could'nt agree more with this statement , just last week i drove my cousin's verna and had smile permanently plastered on my face , the way it took off after 2000 RPM and that too so smoothly and sounding like a petrol engine made me wonder if i had made the right choice with the city , i mean its excellent in the city but out on the highway it does leaves a lot to desire , i went against the verna because of the ground clearance issue (my cousin can't stop talking how frustrating it is that the car scrapes every now and then) , and because of the fact that post driving the underpowered i20 petrol i somewhat got frustrated and decided not to go with a hyundai this time , the car has been around for a couple of years now and looks somewhat dated, city however was a new launch , was exciting , looked fresh , not that i regret choosing the city but yes , had i gone after the engine , verna would have been the clear choice.
The i20's and the Verna's mills are poles apart. The Verna diesel is in a league of it's own, IMO. The Vento scores over it because it's stable as a rock during the torque surge, and you never feel out of control even at 3-digit speeds, something which the Verna misses out severely on because of it's floaty handling past 80 kph, not helped at all with that totally disconnected steering.

The Verna is a very capable machine, but stability is a big question mark. One of the main reasons why I went for the City over it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Extremely well-written piece Avi

Very happy for your dad, and job well done mate!
Thank you so much, vb-san.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Beautiful write up! I doff my hat at your father - he's a man who says it like it is

I share his exact same feelings about the cars you wrote!

Here's wishing him miles of smiles with the new Swift!
Thank you very much, phamilyman.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A few other observations I have made:

Height-adjustable seat belts make an appearance.
Not present in my 2014 Honda City!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_112813.jpg

Pull the central part forward, and it slides up/down according to the height required.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_112830.jpg

A small storage space provided just above the glove box.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_112855.jpg

This small cubicle on the driver's right might look useless, but can be used to stow away loose change.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_112905.jpg

The rear floor hump will be a real hindrance, if you are even thinking of a 3rd occupant!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_113307.jpg

Thoughtful grab handles given for all 3 passengers.
Rear ones don't have a coat hook attached though.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_113417.jpg

This is the maximum the ORVMs can be folded inward.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_113503.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the "jutting-forward" teeth in the front grille.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_113524.jpg

The brand. The legend. The leader.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140810_113541.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 20:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:

The i20's and the Verna's mills are poles apart. The Verna diesel is in a league of it's own, IMO. The Vento scores over it because it's stable as a rock during the torque surge, and you never feel out of control even at 3-digit speeds, something which the Verna misses out severely on because of it's floaty handling past 80 kph, not helped at all with that totally disconnected steering.

The Verna is a very capable machine, but stability is a big question mark. One of the main reasons why I went for the City over it as well.
Logically speaking yes , vento is a much more sensible buy than verna because of slightly better performance and better stabilty , i didn't even take verna more than 100 km/h , but driving that butter smooth engine with that addictive kick was very entertaining , City does makes more sense overall and that's the reason i went for it , the car is very stable even at its top speed , i just meant that i had a blast driving my cousin's car for those 10-15 minutes (i had already driven the TD vehicle previously and just casually took my cousin's car for a spin)
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 09:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Dad (looking out the window): At least we bought cars for their engines in my day. (looking back at me).
Words well said by a true enthusiast.Respect and salute to your dad.No doubt today's cars are loaded with gizmos but somehow fail to connect with the driver.
I am very sure none of the cars in India would sound sweet as that of an old Fiat.I still fell its still the best rear wheel drive cars in India.I was born and brought up in Mumbai so I know what Fiats are.
You are very lucky to have a father who still pursues his interests.I have never driven the K13 series swifts but the G13bs always used to bring a smile in my face,though I currently drive a swift diesel and am quite happy with it.Good luck with the car

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th August 2014 at 09:58.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 11:46   #44
BHPian

Congrats to you and your dad. Nice write-up, nice car and nice pictures. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Very encouraging to see your father's thoughts on how a car should be driven. My dad liked driving too, thought he later became weak to do so later in life.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 12:45   #45
BHPian

Congratulations to your dad and you.

It takes a lot of effort to understand the needs of our parents. Many times the practicality comes our way and as a result their happiness is lost somewhere in between.I really appreciate you for having looked through these.

Old school guys like your dad understand what the present generations like ours are most likely to miss !

you both are fortunate to have each other as father-son. congratulations again.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks