Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 22:10   #136
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
Congrats Astonite. At least you made a decision. I have been breaking my head on these two. Heart says Polo and Head says i20. The price difference between Highline TDI and Asta (O) is around 1 lakh OTR. We are a family of 5 and just because of that i might end up with i20. I have nothing against i20 its just that the driver inside me love the polo.
I understand your situation. I was about to book Baleno (even updated my signature here), then decided on the i20 and now the Polo. I got about 60K discount plus accessories which made the deal even more irresistible. Informed the dealer that I will be taking insurance on my own. Now, I saved about 15K there. We are a family of 4, and 99% of the time, it will be just me or one more person in the car. So, space wasn't a deal breaker for me. Do 5 people travel in the car all the time? If it's monthly once or twice, go for the Polo and hire zoomcar when you're travelling with the family.
Astonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:34   #137
BHPian

To all the Polo GT Tdi owners ( with autofold mirrors & Cruise control) this might be of some help .
The BCM is the 086M version, from which i understand, is a step down when compared to the earlier models which came with 087R version. Now the peculiar thing is that, after reading up a couple forums and with the help of our DIY Guru Gannu, it is understood that CC can be fitted only with BCM's higher than 087. But now in the existing version the CC comes stock but with a
086M BCM. Maybe this applies only to retrofit ? The downsides of the 086M are subjective, it kind of drove me crazy , for eg. the comfort rear wipe wouldnt get activated through VCDS. Most of the other tweaks worked fine.
you can go through this thread for your VCDS queries -http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html

Here's a picture of my BCM (Polo GT TDi - OCT 2015 mfd. (with stock CC and electronic fold OVRM's) Note that the BCM is made in india, the previous posts on this thread show that the previous versions of the GT have the 087R made in Germany) Cost cutting much???
Attached Thumbnails
2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread-img_6995.jpg  

Last edited by leprechaun : 30th November 2015 at 22:41.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:30   #138
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the pic leprechaun.

My hunch was right about this BCM being developed by the Indian folks at Continental specifically for our markets. World over, the Highline variants from 087 supported cruise control along with cornering lights and such. Now they seem to have incorporated these features on this model. Not exactly cost cutting I'd say but they seem to have got those features from the highline model on the medium+ model and are manufacturing them locally too - win-win for both, VW and the owners.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:55   #139
BHPian

Somehow I feel alot better after reading your reply to my post, haha! So the cornering lights won't be functional through my BCM?
Old 12th December 2015, 18:55   #140
BHPian

So, I finally got my way around fixing the illuminated light right around the 12V receptacle that didn't come with the new facelift polo's! Thought it was an easy and straight forward upgrade, man was I wrong! Will be posting a DIY soon! Here are some pictures!

Before
2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449926634.746751.jpg

After
2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1449926700.448498.jpg

Last edited by leprechaun : 12th December 2015 at 18:58.
Old 17th December 2015, 16:53   #141
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm whether the facelifted Polo's ORVMs swing in the opposite direction? It appears that this feature has been dropped.

Also does the new Polo (petrol and diesel) come with any kind of underbody protection? Is it advisable/necessary to go for aftermarket options here?

I recently purchased a 1.2 MPi petrol and had these questions.
Old 17th December 2015, 19:30   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the facelifted Polo's ORVMs swing in the opposite direction? It appears that this feature has been dropped.
It does fold in the forward direction. After coming across a post here which said otherwise, I tried folding a mirror from the newer lots from the service center's test drive car and it did fold.

Quote:
Also does the new Polo (petrol and diesel) come with any kind of underbody protection?
No, they don't. The earlier 1.2 TDIs did come with a sump protection cover made of hard plastic screwed to the subframe. This comes as an accessory now and costs about Rs 10k.

Quote:
Is it advisable/necessary to go for aftermarket options here?
If you can invest in one, it would be good. Honestly, after considering installing one over the last 2 years, I dropped the idea. I drive a bit carefully so not really concerned at the moment.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:36   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It does fold in the forward direction. After coming across a post here which said otherwise, I tried folding a mirror from the newer lots from the service center's test drive car and it did fold.
Ah interesting, thanks for that. I did try a little on ours and then gave up because I was afraid I'd break it. Good to know!

Shame they dropped the sump guard. I suppose I'll wait and watch, like you did, before deciding on this. Presumably aftermarket options would be a lot cheaper anyway

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 17th December 2015 at 19:38.
Old 31st December 2015, 15:06   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello team,
Is it true that 1.5 TDI polo and 1.5 GT TDI differ only by map? A tuner told me so and regular 1.5 TDI polo can be remapped to same power output of GT TDI post remap, around 140 bhp
Old 1st January 2016, 22:19   #145
BHPian

I visited VW palace road Bangalore today as my sister wanted to buy an i20. I convinced her for a polo instead giving all gyan about handling, build quality and German engineering.. Etc . When we visited the showroom they refused give a TD saying TD vehicle met with an accident and is in the work shop from past 10 days. Moreover, the person had the audacity to tell us that we may not get cars till mid of Feb. He did not even had the courtesy to take down our number and promise an arrangement for a TD at a later date.

My sister's immediate reaction was a loud laugh :(. Her question to me was, if they can't repair their own car for 10 days, how could they possibly serve a customer.

Whoever said VW has improved its services need to rethink again. I called up customer care and complained. The lady on the other side promised a call back which never happened till now.

It's sad to see a good car not getting sold because of dealer's attitude. They lost a customer today.
Old 1st January 2016, 22:27   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
I visited VW palace road Bangalore today as my sister wanted to buy an i20. I convinced her for a polo instead giving all gyan about handling, build quality and German engineering.. Etc . Moreover, the person had the audacity to tell us that we may not get cars till mid of Feb.
It's sad to see a good car not getting sold because of dealer's attitude. They lost a customer today.
Something is fishy these days at VW. I have booked a POLO GT TSI at VW Trichy earlier this week. I was told that the car would be delivered only after a minimum of 3 months. When I told them I need it by the 15th of February, the SA stressed that it was possible only by March. I guess there is an upcoming hike in prices.
Old 17th April 2016, 12:23   #147

I am delighted to post my first official reply in this Team-BHP thread and more so because it is to say that "I just booked my new polo tdi Highline!".

I have been doing a lot of thinking on the usually big question of "What car?". Took a good number of test drives taking into consideration the premium hatchbacks and some mid-size sedans and finally narrowed it down to Hyundai Elite i20 and VW Polo TDI. My primary need was a comfortable highway drive as I would be shuffling between Chennai and Pondicherry too often and still usable for daily city runs in the Chennai traffic. Hence the Elite i20 or the VW polo made perfect sense.

The Elite i20 was the first car I took the test drive of and since I own a Hyundai i10 at present, I do have a fairly good experience with the Hyundai ASS. I had almost gone for the i20 when I decided to take just one more test drive - VW Polo TDI. After that i was just the question of heat vs mind as plenty of Bhpians pointed out in this comparison. Although my family was a little bit skeptical about the Polo's rear seat space, They were on board after my lectures on highway safety and driver nuances. Finally I had it my way and can't wait to get my hands on my brand new Polo
Old 16th November 2016, 19:01   #148
BHPian

My November 2015 VW Polo 1.5 TDI was recalled for an engine fix (following the emission scandal?). I received an e-mail from VW (partly reproduced below) in early September 2016.

-------------------------------------
Dear Customer,
We would like to inform you that the technical upgrades for Volkswagen vehicles will start in Sept 2016 and will be implemented in a phased manner.
For your vehicle the upgrade involves a software update to the engine management system along with hardware update (Installation of flow transformer).
---------------------------------------

I got it done on November 8 and following the change, the car has become very smooth. You can barely hear the engine clatter. Even with the driver's side window open the clatter and is significantly muted.

The pick-up has improved by factor of 1.3- 1.5 and fuel efficiency has increased by about 2 KMPL. Pre-change, the FE on the dashboard display was showing 12-13 KMPL in city and 17-18 KMPL highway. Now it has increased to 13-15 KMPL city and 19-21 on highways.

Not to mention I am happy about the change.
Way to go VW!
Old 17th November 2016, 09:01   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post

I got it done on 12th Nov and following the change, the car has become very smooth. You can barely hear the engine clatter. Even with the driver's side window open the clatter and is significantly muted.
Glad to hear that, I have got mine done last week as well. I can vouch for the smoothness part.

Have you noticed that the gear shift indicator become more aggressive ? now my car up-shift indicator shows up much early(@lower speed) itself. what used to indicate at 20,30 and 40 KMs seems to have changed to 15,25 and 35 respectively

also, did you get the complimentary Car Care Kit as well ? If not do call them.

I got a wash and car care kit for free.

cheers
kishore
Old 25th June 2019, 11:51   #150
BHPian

Does the 2014 Nov manufactured Polo 1.5 TDI has ABS? It has 2 Airbags. Is there a way to find it? Can the feature list be retrieved using the VIN number?

Thanks in Advance.
Regards

Most Viewed