Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 22:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)

Prelude:

I recently shifted to the UAE in pursuit of better job opportunities. I was lucky to get a job in the Automotive sector. I was furthermore lucky to get a license within one month of becoming a UAE resident (passed in first attempt). My next target was to get a good house and a good car. Once the house was sorted, my search for the car began.

Car search:

Actually, we all are automotive enthusiasts. Our research about the car begins centuries before we are planning to make the purchase. Even in my case, my car search began when I was in India, even before I got the visa for Dubai and even before I had a job or license in Dubai! I was pretty sure that I will be going for a used car only. After buying a used Civic back home, I really like the concept of buying better and bigger cars for lesser money! Dubizzle.com is a really nice website for all kinds of classifieds in the UAE. I calculated my budget and ran a search on the kinds of cars that will fit in my budget. I quickly narrowed down to the following:

* Mitsubishi Lancer GT 2.0
* Mazda 6

Later on, when I started working, I even added the Hyundai Elantra & Kia Optima to my list since I could procure spares for very cheap (I work in Hyundai) and it made economical sense. However, I did not really like those cars. I needed something sporty and practical. The Elantra and Optima were good cars but not something you would like to drive on UAE roads. Nevertheless, they were an option. I also considered the Chevy Cruze for a while since resale value of Chevy is poor in UAE and I was getting good cars for cheap. But every person I met advised me against Chevy as they informed me that the spares cost a bomb.

Dubai - The Queen of the Middle East:

I will talk more about Dubai in some other thread. Let us focus on the car here. After I was kind of settled in here, my real car hunt began. I soon realized that I dont have enough credentials to avail a bank loan easily (my visa was just 2 months old) nor do I have enough money to make any downpayment. Do not forget that I had just acquired a house on rent and all the deposits plus other charges drained my bank balance totally. I was looking for a zero DP loan and mostly all banks wanted minimum 20% DP. I soon realized that my best bet would be to buy from a dealer, even if that means paying a small premium.

Finding my baby:

Visited a couple of dealers here and there but could not find my type of car. Finally, I visited the Al Awir used car market. I was looking for used Elantras when I spotted this beauty - a red Lancer GT. It had accumulated some dust but still looked H-O-T! Went to the dealer and expressed interest. Had a thorough look at the car. It was a 2011 model with 85,000 kms on the odo. Now, unlike India, used cars with 80,000-1,50,000 kms are common in UAE, because of the distance an average user drives daily. Since the roads here are very good and free of dirt, cars tend to be in great condition.

Upon inspection, I found 2 small dents on the right rear door, probably caused by flying stones. A small scrape on the front bumper was also noticed. Interiors however were clean and well maintained. The car is a top of the line Lancer GT, I will talk more about the features and specifications later.

I gave the dealer the confirmation the same night and gave him the booking amount the next day. The bank loan was processed within 3 days and I was handed over the car in exactly 7 days.

Now, I did not follow the basic steps while buying a used car:

* I did not call the dealer to find the service history
* I did not take it to the service centre for a complete check

Reason being, I was really short on time and I wanted the car urgently. I just bought the car on a gut feeling and took a huge risk. I hope I don't have to bear the brunt of being careless.

GT 2.0:

Let us talk about the car now. I have just received her yesterday, so driving impressions and ownership experience will eventually follow. For now, we will concentrate on the specifications and features.

Specs:

2.0 ltr MIVEC engine
150 bhp
20.1 kgm
INVECS-III CVT tranny with 6 speed Sports Mode
Front & Rear disc brakes
Low profile tyres - 215/45 R18
0-100 kmph in 10.7 sec (A/T)

Features:

ABS with EBD
2 airbags
Auto healights
Auto wipers
HID headlights (Xenon) with Adaptive Lighting System (illuminates corners while turning)
Sports front bumper
Side skirts
Rear spoiler
Cruise Control
Keyless entry & go (starter button)
Power assisted sunroof
Rockford Fosgate premium 9 speaker (4 speakers, 4 tweeters, 1 subwoofer) music system with 6 CD changer
Audio controls on steering
Paddle shifters
18" alloys
Dark red colour (that I totally love!)

There is a huge difference in the road presence of a normal 1.6 Lancer and the GT and you have to see it to believe it.

Price:

I believe I got a very good deal on this car (42,000 AED). Lancer GTs command a premium due to their high sticker price and abundance of premium features. Problem is, people compare the GT to a normal 1.6 Lancer EX and think that the price I paid is too high (I have received such feedback!). Anyways, everyone has their right of opinion and I like to leave it at that!

Driving Impressions:

The car has a sweet engine. It is adequately powerful and very refined. But the CVT transmission is a downer and spoils the fun. This car lacks the sudden burst of acceleration you expect from this engine. What you get instead is a linear and smooth pull. I am not saying it is slow. But the CVT dampens the excitement. It is a lot better in Manual/Sports mode, especially when you are using the paddles. I honestly reckon that if this car has a 6 speed conventional A/T instead, it would have been a hoot to drive.

Handling & Ride, Fuel Efficiency and other areas will be covered soon...

Meanwhile, some pics -
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647108178092.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647091823749.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647187266348.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647202633854.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647128225585.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_14064707389280.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647036142711.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647049968252.jpg  

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140647059438384.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 23:31   #2
BHPian

Congrats on the car. I am a sucker for mitsubishis and my Cedia was really one hell of a car. I can only imagine what 150 bhp on a similar chassis feels like.

I wish that Mitsubishi gets thier act right some day and launches cars like this in India. I was really looking forward to this car as sometime back in 2012 or so there was news that they would launch the latest gen lancer in India. But as you all know it never happened.

Happy motoring and hope you enjoy a great car.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 07:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)

Congrats on the car.

80k kms are you sure ? The car looks as if just rolled off the assembly line.Back in India one would have a hard time keeping the car in such a pristine condition.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th July 2014 at 07:48.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 09:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ride and Handling:

Mistus are known for their sublime ride quality and handling. This car runs on low profile tyres and so the ride is stiffer compared to normal Lancers, but never uncomfortable. The suspension setup is tuned for brilliant handling and the car handles curves beautifully. This thing is built for speed and the car comes to it's own when you at high speeds. The ride is flat and consistent and the best part about the drive is the steering feedback. For a normal Joe, the steering would be "heavy". It is not as light as the Nissans or Toyotas. But it offers excellent feedback once you are on the move.

Fuel Efficiency:

I can give you only an approximate idea since I have not completed a tankful yet. But seems like the car is giving 8 kmpl. More updates on this later.

Features that I like:

* HID headlights with AFS - lights up the road real bright!
* Rockford Fosgate Audio - No need for any aftermarket music system, this thing rocks.
* Cruise control - helps me on my long drive to and from office.
* Keyless entry and go - never having to take the key off your pocket is very convenient.
* Auto headlights and wipers - again very convenient.

Things I miss:

* Seems like the premium RF music system does not have a USB jack. Even the Aux has a 2.5 mm jack! So it is only CDs then. Most probably I will change the head unit.
* More punch from the engine which the CVT totally robs.

Accessories planned:

* Reverse sensors - the big spoiler and high boot lip means rear visibility is limited.
* New head unit - if I cannot find a way to use a USB or AUX jack.
* Hotter rims - Not so soon, but still.
* Free flow exhaust - I have to check UAE regulations before I do this.

Some more pictures -

The AFS switch on the dash -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140651625405591.jpg

Carbon fibre trims everywhere reveal the car's intentions -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140651617126761.jpg

Sunroof... in case you want to enjoy a romantic drive with your habibi -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140651604733649.jpg

The boring CVT -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140651598392690.jpg

The sweet MIVEC -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_140651581701464.jpg

The sub in the boot, dont go by the size, packs a nice punch -

Pre-Owned Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 GT (Dubai)-fotor_14065158750066.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Happy motoring and hope you enjoy a great car.
Thanks a lot buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congrats on the car.

80k kms are you sure ? The car looks as if just rolled off the assembly line.Back in India one would have a hard time keeping the car in such a pristine condition.
Yes, as I mentioned, cars in UAE are normally well kept.
raj_5004 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:06   #5
BHPian

That's a great car at a great price you have there. Fully loaded and quite a looker. Considering the fuel prices in UAE I think the single digit FE figures won't be much of a burden. Mitshu's are also known for their reliability and I believe it will serve you very well for a long time.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Congrats Raj,

Your Lancer looks in pristine condition - enjoy :0

I have also been a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L GLXi owner for the last 12 years. Apart from one replacement of the fuel pump and the AC Evaporator coil (total repair cost INR 20,000/-), the car has been trouble free. Just regular service and the car is good. In 12 years, I have changed the battery only once, that too after 7 years.

Mitsubishi have amongst the lowest recall of car manufacturers. Their cars may not be full of fancy gadgets, but they are fabulous to drive.

Its a pity that their strategy for India has not found favour with the buyers. I am confident that if they introduce more models like MirageG4 / Lancer / Space Star they could have good sales.
Old 29th July 2014, 12:03   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase,raj. Wish you many many miles of safe driving and try to stay away from speed cameras and radars, the fines here can be a budget buster.

Dubai cars are pretty good not matter how old they are. Maybe its due to dubai's policy of vehicle checking before registration renewal.

I too had surfed Dubbizle.com innumerable times before finally getting my "Titan" a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE. Although it had run 200000+ kms, it's still got enough juice to put a smile when you drive it.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
That's a great car at a great price you have there. Fully loaded and quite a looker. Considering the fuel prices in UAE I think the single digit FE figures won't be much of a burden. Mitshu's are also known for their reliability and I believe it will serve you very well for a long time.
Thank you buddy.

Speaking of reliability, I can sense a slight vibration at 120-130 kmph. It goes away at lower speeds.

I hope it is just a wheel balancing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Congrats Raj,

Your Lancer looks in pristine condition - enjoy :0

I have also been a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5L GLXi owner for the last 12 years. Apart from one replacement of the fuel pump and the AC Evaporator coil (total repair cost INR 20,000/-), the car has been trouble free. Just regular service and the car is good. In 12 years, I have changed the battery only once, that too after 7 years.

Mitsubishi have amongst the lowest recall of car manufacturers. Their cars may not be full of fancy gadgets, but they are fabulous to drive.

Its a pity that their strategy for India has not found favour with the buyers. I am confident that if they introduce more models like MirageG4 / Lancer / Space Star they could have good sales.
It is good to know the reliability factor of these cars. I do not think Mitsu is serious about their operations in India. Or for that matter, even UAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan_cruise View Post
Congrats on your purchase,raj. Wish you many many miles of safe driving and try to stay away from speed cameras and radars, the fines here can be a budget buster.
I agree!

Quote:
Dubai cars are pretty good not matter how old they are. Maybe its due to dubai's policy of vehicle checking before registration renewal.
And plus the roads are so smooth here, there is hardly a chance of rough usage. I feel the only abuse a car can get here is if the owner is a rash driver and subjects his car to sudden acceleration & deceleration.

Quote:
I too had surfed Dubbizle.com innumerable times before finally getting my "Titan" a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE. Although it had run 200000+ kms, it's still got enough juice to put a smile when you drive it.
Where do you normally service your cars? Regular service like oil & filter change.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Hello Raj,

It's great to know that a new bhpian has moved in to UAE Welcome and congrats on the new car. I hope you and your car both enjoying the summer.

Your car looks fantastic. I hope you enjoy your ride.

You can ask other bhpians here on the good accessory places, and it shouldn't be a problem at all I guess. Mitsubishi's are a bit on higher side in regards to cost of parts compared to the other japanese counterparts but well your car won't be needing any of those anytime soon.

I wish you a pleasant time here, and hope to get to know more in the coming days.

Cheers!
Old 30th July 2014, 16:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Hello Raj,

It's great to know that a new bhpian has moved in to UAE Welcome and congrats on the new car. I hope you and your car both enjoying the summer.

Your car looks fantastic. I hope you enjoy your ride.

You can ask other bhpians here on the good accessory places, and it shouldn't be a problem at all I guess. Mitsubishi's are a bit on higher side in regards to cost of parts compared to the other japanese counterparts but well your car won't be needing any of those anytime soon.

I wish you a pleasant time here, and hope to get to know more in the coming days.

Cheers!
Thank you very much.

I am glad that the A/C and the sun film is really working well, else the heat is just unbearable for me.

I am happy to shell more money if the parts last longer too!
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Took Lancy for her service yesterday.

Mistubishi recommends a oil change service every 5000 kms and a major service every 40,000 kms. Now, I had the following options to get her serviced -

* At the Authorized service centre - most expensive
* At a private garage - moderately priced
* At the lube centre in petrol stations - cheapest

Went to the petrol station first to inquire and got a quote of AED 260. Spoke to a friend who owns a Lancer GT which has done 2,50,000 kms now. He recommended going to the Authorised Service centre and asking them for "lube service" instead of 85000 kms service. Lube service consists of only oil change and oil filter change. Got it done yesterday at Al Habtoor, which is the dealer for Mitsubishi in Dubai.

Dent in the pocket was 320 AED, which is approximately 5400 INR. Yes, maintaining a car is going to be expensive in UAE. The cheapest I heard from a friend for a lube service in a local garage was 200 AED, which is approx 3400 INR.

Issue:

There is a single issue with the car - a slight vibration is felt at a speed of 110-120 kmph. Nothing below that speed and goes away at 130 kmph or above. I suspected wheel balancing and got it done too. But the vibration still exists. The steering does not vibrate through. I hope it is not a big issue.

FE:

I am getting 9 kmpl. I am not revving her unnecessarily now. But average speed to and from office is high.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:49   #12
BHPian

Hello Rajeev,

Again let me tell you, major services get it done at the dealerships and minor oil changes at local garages, trusted ones.

FE should be more than 9 kmpl man. Check tank full to tank full, cos its 9 for me and trust me my car is old and still it returns 9 at least.

Happy revving Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:58   #13
BHPian

Is the wheel you have OE or aftermarket? If it's an aftermarket alloy wheel, usually this problem is overcome by use of spigot rings. If it's OE wheel then it could be something else.
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Hello Rajeev,

Again let me tell you, major services get it done at the dealerships and minor oil changes at local garages, trusted ones.

FE should be more than 9 kmpl man. Check tank full to tank full, cos its 9 for me and trust me my car is old and still it returns 9 at least.

Happy revving Cheers!
In the last tank, it ran about 450 kms and consumed 50 litres of fuel.

I am yet searching for economical and relaible garages around. As recommended, major services will be done at the A.S.S. only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Is the wheel you have OE or aftermarket? If it's an aftermarket alloy wheel, usually this problem is overcome by use of spigot rings. If it's OE wheel then it could be something else.
These are OE wheels.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

GeeTee gave 11 kmpl in the last tank, calculated on tankful to tankful basis.

It ran 557.3 kms on 50.55 litres of petrol, equating to 11 kmpl.

Not to forget, this car had been to the service centre and I was not really driving it in economy mode. I am pleased!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks