Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 15:03   #16
BHPian

re: Weekend Warrior! Hyundai Xcent Diesel (base variant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
...wherein I moved from Manza to Grand i10. So considering your driving style what are your usual cruising speeds? I know you face more of single carriage roads but even then what were you maintaining in the Indigo and here in the Xcent. Do you perceive any sluggishness in the engine while overtaking? Is there any lag felt during roll on speeds?
If you are coming from the Manza (120bhp per your signature) then definitely you might feel sluggishness in the power in this engine. But on the whole, my experience so far on the single-person long drive I've had, is that the power is quite adequate. Yes I too have felt a lag during the roll on speeds (If I've correctly understood what you are referring to), e.g. after slowing down to 2nd gear to go over an especially high speed breaker on the B'lore-Mysore highway the engine was clearly taking some time to spool back up.

Since most of my long drives are done non-stop with just nature's call breaks, I generally like to preserve my energy levels. So, I start off my journeys in the 100-110 kmph range and then gradually start dropping the speed depending on the duration/condition of road/energy level. For e.g. I do B'lore-Mysore @100-110kmph; Mysore-Bandipur @ 80-90 kmph; Bandipur-Malappuram @ 60-70kmph. I do this just to ensure that I'm not thoroughly 'pooped-out' when I reach my destination.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:54   #17
BHPian

Re: Weekend Warrior! Hyundai Xcent Diesel (base variant)

Today I filled my second tankful and found that the Xcent had taken 35.34 Ltr for going 806.7 kms, returning a very modest 22.82 Kmpl. This is with about 30% AC and another 40% fan only, which means 30% of the time the AC or the fan is off. I hope the mileage will pickup after the engine settles down because I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 27kmpl for the outstation drives.
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 17:22   #18

That's a nicely written review but what happened after that, there has been no update for last 3-4 months , update us your experience on your xcent. how is the fit and finish, any niggles so far, what is your mileage on highway and city and your service experience(post us the service bills) and how is the AC performance.
dkarthikkeyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 22:31   #19
BHPian

Just returned from a 1000 km Easter weekend trip to Kerala. The Xcent returned a respectable 24 kmpl with full A/C -- 915 Kms for 37.85 ltrs of diesel. Since my last update, I've installed the audio/video system from my previous Indigo and a AutoCop remote locking system. The car has done about 12000 kms and the second 'free' service cost about Rs.6000.
Old 4th September 2015, 12:29   #20
BHPian

Completed the third free service this week @ 22000 kms. I missed the 20k mark due to a variety of reasons. The service bill came to around Rs.6500, major component was around Rs.1400 for interior cleaning. I think next time around, I'll get the interior cleaning done by the car wash guys in Electronic City.

My parents have a i10 Grand Automatic back home in Kerala, and I'm totally in love with the car. The three things that I like the most about that car are:
1. You don't have to change the gear once you've slotted the gear into the Drive mode.
2. Since you don't have to change the gear a lot, you can keep your left leg fully stretched and rested against the wall of the pedal well.
3. At all times the auto gearbox tries to keep the engine rpm between 1k - 2k range, thereby giving a smooth ride.

So I've tried to replicate the above features while driving my Xcent:
1. In my daily drive, I've identified certain stretches where I can drive in a single gear without changing -- my house to the main road> 2nd gear, main road to service road>3rd gear, service road> 2nd gear till spead breakers, then 3rd gear. By doing this I have consciously cut down the number of gear changes, thereby improving my drive experience.
2. Since now I don't change gears that often, I'm able to keep my left leg freely rested in the pedal well.
3. Every gear that I use, I keep the engine rpm in the 1k - 2k range. If < 1k, I'll need to change down and if >2k I'll need to change up. So if I stick to the 1k-2k range, I can avoid the need to change gears. This has helped me to cut down fatigue in long drives and increased mileage -- I got 25.7 kmpl in a recent Bangalore-Kochi trip. I used to do Bangalore-Malappuram 300km (Kerala) in one day and then do Malappuram-Kochi 192km the next day. But now I'm able to squeeze in both stretches in a single day which is a great boon if you have to meet your in-laws AND your parents within a small weekend trip and keep everyone happy.

The Bangalore traffic has been very supportive in my driving experiment so far -- everybody just overtakes from the side and zooms away, as a result I'm always travelling behind every traffic block which clears up by the time I crawl up to it! Problems are -- Drive time increases by about 15-20 mins max, co-passengers might get irritated thinking that you are in no hurry to reach anywhere, possibility of eager beaver two-wheelers to scratch in their hurry to overtake.

...but all said and done, I still want something which is a diesel, an automatic, has cruise control and costs less than 15 lacs...

Last edited by MudMover : 4th September 2015 at 12:34.
MudMover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 16:50   #21
BHPian

Mods, please move this thread to the Long Term ownership reviews category.

UPDATE

I see that I had last updated this thread at the service @22000kms. That has been my average annual usage of this car and today I stand at around 95000kms. Over the years below are some of the happenings with this car:

1. The xcent seemed to keep scrapping the road on the stretches that I drive on and the most common fatality is the underside of the front bumper. For this reason, I've had to replace the entire front bumper under insurance 2 times! And another time is pending as well
2. Due to the above problem, at my last tyre change in May 2018 I changed my tyres to 165/70/R14 Michellin XM2 (up from the previous 165/65/R14) and that seems to have addressed the problem partly. I've also switched over completely to Nitrogen and altogether tyre ride quality is much better.
3. The xcent in general seems to be aging well. But now I have a child in boarding in Ooty, requiring me to make monthly trips there and I've noticed that the 1.1 crdi engine simply isn't the right choice for steep ghat section driving. The 36 hair pin bend stretch to Ooty is a killer for any engine and this 1.1 easily runs out of breath all too often making me wonder sometimes whether I need to get out and push the car up as well!
4. The average service cost is always around the Rs.11-12k mark.

An SUV upgrade seems to be long overdue, but until then the xcent needs to soldier on!
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks