Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 13:44   #91
BHPian

re: My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up

Bought this :

Cost : Rs 1100 (1 year manufacturer warranty)

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-dsc01436.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-dsc01437.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-dsc01440.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-dsc01443.jpg

It seems robust. I tested on a friend's car. Just connect one end to the 12v charging point and the other one to the tyre. Tyre pressure was 30psi when checked beforehand. It takes not more than 1 min to reach 32psi (for 1 tyre). Checked air pressure again with a separate gauge. It was perfect. Took 6-7 mins to bring all four tyres to 32. Seems alright !

Only disadvantage is the noise it produces when in operation. It is still manageable.
Zigor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 13:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post
Black is sporty, easy to maintain and uncluttered.

Nice choice buddy. I like the floor mats color choice. Really look sporty with the black interiors.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2014 at 19:44. Reason: fixed quote tags
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:27   #93
BHPian

5500 km completed

Some observations :

1. Paint quality is top notch. Some bikers brushed the rear bumper (I personally hate that, don't see the reason why someone would place the bike so close in heavy traffic), but I saw absolutely no signs of wear and tear.

2. The instrument cluster along with MFD is a great addition. It is useful and accurate. In fact fuel efficiency shown is almost equal to the real world figures and there is no speedo error as well. White background is easy on eyes.

3. Styling is mature, classy and understated. No complaints whatsoever.

4. Gearbox is getting better with each passing day. It was (slightly) notchy for first couple of thousand kms and I was little worried. No issues now as it got really better. It's butter smooth now and everything falls well in place.

5. Nothing beats the torque surge. Torque over Horsepower any day !

6. Suspension got even better after I changed to Bridgestones. I was not convinced with the Alnacs and I am glad with the change. No complaints as there is a clear difference.

7. Car handles very well and I have no complaints. Highway rides are awesome. High speed handling and composure is something to experience.

8. It is very important to have ABS in our country as almost no one follows traffic rules. The vibration in the break pedal (when ABS is in action) is more than I expected but the vehicle is in full control. It's a must have feature.

9. Steering is very practical (also gorgeous). It fits really well in hands. No complaints with the response as well. VW got it right this time.

10.Fuel efficiency- It is 13-16km/ltr (on MID) in city and 19-20 km/ltr (Tank fill method) on highway. FE does not matter much to me but I must say that it has dropped a bit. May be I should go easy on the pedal. Also the car reacts to the load. I see an immediate drop in the fuel efficiency with 4 on board (as compared to 1 person).

11. As of now, engine oil, coolant and brake fluid don't require top up.

Dislikes :

1. AC still makes lot of noise at second position (too much for my liking). Will get this checked at the time of service.

2. Ingress, egress is an issue especially for elderly people as the stance is low slung.

3. I wish we had more rear space and no hump in the middle. It is 4 seater (not 5). Lack of leg room for 5th passenger is quite evident.

Some myths regarding new Polo 1.5 :

1. Power delivery is linear - Yes, it is linear as compared to old swift but still not really flat as people think it is. If you put your foot down, the surge is pretty much there.

2. Headlights are poor - No headlight/bulb upgrade required. I use to drive a swift with 90/100 relay and I am sure new polo set up is better than that.

3. No Anti-pinch windows for rear/passenger window - Anti Pinch is functional on all 4 windows.

No real negatives as such. This a family workhorse for us (see pic below). It's is a fun practical diesel hatch. I will post the details regarding 7500 km inspection. Cheers

That's practical. I must say that even with rear seats at place, the boot space is quite generous.
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-new.jpg

My best fuel efficiency figures (small 50 km trip mostly at 90km/hr,5th gear)
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-new-1.jpg

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-wp_20140920_008.jpg

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-wp_20140920_011.jpg

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-wp_20140920_018.jpg

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-wp_20140920_020.jpg

Thanks.
Zigor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:04   #94
DWC
BHPian

Nice update Zigor. Even I managed to pull off a 22.7 kmpl on a highway trip. My city average is similar to yours. I was expecting more to be honest.

Do you get that vibration from the clutch pedal as well? Ive just completed 1500 kms on my ride, so far so good. I agree with all your points, only its a little harder for me to maintain the night blue shade. I have armed myself with micro fiber towels and have taken up the task of cleaning her myself. I normally love the rains, but its a real pain maintaining her in the monsoons.
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:46   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Do you get that vibration from the clutch pedal as well?

I normally love the rains, but its a real pain maintaining her in the monsoons.
It was there till 2000km (especially when you accelerate quickly at high rpm's). It started getting better after 2k mark. Takes around 3000km for the clutch and gearbox to work at 100%. Still, if you think it is too much, must get it checked at service centre. If it's just at high rpm let it be for another 500-700km. It will sort out itself ( running-in I guess )

Yes, it's tough in monsoons. I agree 100%
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:48   #96
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your inputs, every time I read your posts, makes me happier for selecting the GT TDI.
What is the tyre upgrade you opted for?

Quote:
5500 km completed

6. Suspension got even better after I changed to Bridgestones. I was not convinced with the Alnacs and I am glad with the change. No complaints as there is a clear difference.
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
What is the tyre upgrade you opted for?
I have Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (185/60/R15). Please go through the post on page 3 of this ownership review. I think Alnacs were too soft for my liking. Note that these are Alnac and not Alnac 4g (which have good reviews). Please go through the detailed post for more info.
Old 22nd September 2014, 23:44   #98
BHPian

Awesome fuel efficiency

My review of my New Polo Highline 1.5 TDI is pending but till then, this is a picture of the MID showing an awesome fuel efficiency during a journey between Delhi and Noida, seriously !
That's the highest I've been able to get on the MID through very sedate driving, not above 80 kmph and not accelerating too much and driving in the right gear.
I've not calculated through tank fill method so far and have been driving only within the city from west Delhi to noida.
I've clicked this picture when stopped at a red light.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-1411409516568.jpg  

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 22nd September 2014 at 23:50.
vishalchaudhary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:06   #99
BHPian

Thanks a lot, not sure how did I miss it. Have been following your thread closely. My bad, thank you once again.
Quote:
I have Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (185/60/R15). Please go through the post on page 3 of this ownership review. I think Alnacs were too soft for my liking. Note that these are Alnac and not Alnac 4g (which have good reviews). Please go through the detailed post for more info.
Old 23rd October 2014, 22:40   #100
BHPian

FE Update :

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-new.jpg

Yes, that is possible and I did it for 65 km. It was an early morning drive, mostly at 75 km/hr (lots of patience). AC 100% on with very light foot on pedals. Also ensured good braking habits. I must say this is quite impressive for any car. Eventually I got tired and ripped it for rest of the trip. Ended up with 21.5 on MID. Not bad I guess

Average FE is 20km/l on highway, 16km/l in city. I've completed 7200 km till date. I will update the 7500km inspection report shortly. Happy driving !
Old 24th October 2014, 15:17   #101
DWC
BHPian

Hey that's a nice average. How long (kms) did it take you to get to 25 kmpl? Whenever I try to nurse it, it increases antagonisingly slowly past the 18 kmpl mark. In fact it's become almost impossible for me to get a mileage of more than 20 kmpl no matter how light my right foot is.
Old 24th October 2014, 16:19   #102
BHPian

I have a couple of queries on normal 1.5TDI polo versus GT 1.5TDI polo. This is mainly on the engine power/torque rating part.

- What is the mechanical/ECU change that make GT more powerful than the normal polo ? I am sure the ECU mapping being different can be one of the reasons. Is there anything different inside the engine ? I was thinking the presence of VGT on the GT, but I am not sure ...

- If the only difference just boils down to the ECU mapping difference, can we make the normal polo as powerful as the GT by simply doing a ECU remapping ?
Old 24th October 2014, 17:09   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Hey that's a nice average. How long (kms) did it take you to get to 25 kmpl? Whenever I try to nurse it, it increases antagonisingly slowly past the 18 kmpl mark. In fact it's become almost impossible for me to get a mileage of more than 20 kmpl no matter how light my right foot is.

I believe it started swinging around 25km/l somewhere after 30 kms. Please ensure to nurse it well for first 10-15 kms. You will find it much easier to improve once you've started well. It is easier to maintain after that. Although must say that it gets really boring as this is not what this car is meant for. I do it sometime just to set a new challenge for myself
Old 24th October 2014, 20:54   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Is there anything different inside the engine ? I was thinking the presence of VGT on the GT, but I am not sure ...

- If the only difference just boils down to the ECU mapping difference, can we make the normal polo as powerful as the GT by simply doing a ECU remapping ?

As far as I know, both have a VGT and the difference is just a remap. Anyways my friend who has driven both mentioned that difference is negligible (between GT and normal Polo). According to him, difference is just at the top end making the engine slightly more rev friendly. I wonder why people mention like these maps are miles apart. Will have to test drive a new GT to arrive at a point of view
Old 24th October 2014, 21:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post

I have a couple of queries on normal 1.5TDI polo versus GT 1.5TDI polo. This is mainly on the engine power/torque rating part.
Quote:
As far as I know, both have a VGT and the difference is just a remap. Anyways my friend who has driven both mentioned that difference is negligible (between GT and normal Polo). According to him, difference is just at the top end making the engine slightly more rev friendly.
One of my acquaintance is looking to buy the 1.5 GT TDi and I had an opportunity to TD the car early this week.

Here are my observations versus 1.6 GT I currently own:

- Quite frankly if one drives a regular 1.5 TDI and 1.5 GT back to back, I feel GT will come through as a better responsive car. I may be wrong here, but I somehow still feel that the 1.5 GT does not have the "Urgency" that my 1.6 GT has. It is more of a controlled rush.

- The 1.5 GT feels a lot more smoother and refined over my 1.6 GT at pretty much same RPM.

- The 1.5 GT revved much better than the regular 1.5 Polo. However, it still a tad bit less rev-happy than the 1.6 GT.

I am not really sure if the 1.5 GT's characteristics are all down to ECU tuning alone, which seems quite obvious though.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed