Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 16:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Congrats on your new Xcent AT. I personally think the interior fit and finish really make you feel like you are in a car that is one notch up than just another compact sedan.
I so agree. It really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
I was wondering if you have driven other Hyundai cars of recent times and could you comment on difference in handling & suspension? Especially on body roll during corner manuevers and passing over small potholes at moderate speeds?
I have driven Verna and it is certainly more planted in its ride quality - suspension and larger tires do contribute to that.It has almost negligible body roll and ride over small potholes hardly leaves any thud feeling. It is certainly more impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Rajain, congratulations on making an excellent selection of car and a lovely colour. I agree with you on the outstanding after sales service Hyundi give -- a refreshing change from the German brands (speaking from experience here).
Thank you. I will say the colour took sometime getting used to and it is certainly looking nice. Hopefully will last the distance as well. I know it looks dirty is the car is not clean but that is something I have taken care of.

Quote:
This is my first post on Team BHP and I am glad to see someone (like me) who remembers the Padmini & Ambassador. I learnt to drive on the Standard Herald before the Maruti800 was even conceived. Compared to those cars I am sure the Xcent will be a reliable trouble free dream. Happy motoring.
I learnt my driving on Jeep - the 3 gear one, then the Premier Padmini which dad had for several years and then the Maruti 800 which was quite a departure in its technology. The Premier Padmini we had to open the engine, take the lid off the carburateur and pour a spoonful of petrol and even then it would have its moods and sometimes required manpower to start its horsepower.

Amongst my longest drive in a Premier Padmini was from Shivpuri in MP to Karnal in HR (touching NH1, 2 and 3 in a day) and multiple trips from Hisar/Jind (HR) to Jammu (J&K) and Pokharan (RJ). Also remember sitting in the rear bench of a Jeep which also had a 'extension box' and going from Chandigarh to Srinagar and back. Perhaps the longest trip back in the day was a drive from Gurgaon to Bangalore in a Maruti 800 when GQ was not even conceived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
A really nice review Mr. Rajain.
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
I would like to mention about a small gremlin in the ergonomics of how the auto box gear lever has been made. I own a Verna Auto and the gear knob lacks a shift lock. The outcome? Well my clumsy hands have shifted the lever into neutral by mistake a couple of times when driving, especially me being a guy who uses triptonic mode quite often. Maybe because of force of habbit?

Does the Xcent get a shift lock? If it doesn't than you better be careful if u ever get habituated to using triptonic or you might just compel the car to start free roling in neutral which can be dangerous! That apart from the damage to the engine which maybe caused due to over-revving.
Just giving the heads up incase.

Cheers!
Starfire
There is an additional small button on the gear lever that one needs to press before the gear lever can be slotted into the next gear. Now, I forget if that is also present in Verna or not or if it qualifies to be a 'lock' but yes one needs to use it and it won't engage if until such time that the brake pedal is pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yes. You need to press the button to change the gear out of the various modes. And the button itself won't engage unless the brake pedal is pressed.

Not the case with the manual mode though.

Edit: Sorry for interfering Rajain. Didn't realise I'm in your ownership thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
No problem absolutely. Of course I have no copyright and anyone can answer questions. And who better than another distinguished writer.

Cheers
Old 7th August 2014, 17:17   #32

Congrats.

Thank you for a good review. Would be eager to know the city mileage on this car
Old 8th August 2014, 15:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsteem@gmail. View Post
Congrats.

Thank you for a good review. Would be eager to know the city mileage on this car
Thank you. I will update it as soon as I can. Have not finished the first tankful even - slow by my standards but better half can take longer given it is her car. I am assuming a mileage of 11-12 in city. Should be about 15 -16 on the highway. But lets see the actual fugures.

Cheers
Old 12th August 2014, 19:03   #34
cnu
BHPian

Rajain, congrats on your purchase and thanks for the nice review. Did you get a chance to test the bluetooth performance ? Is there an option to mute while on a call ?
Old 14th August 2014, 17:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Rajain, congrats on your purchase and thanks for the nice review.
Thank you. I am glad you liked the review.

Quote:
Did you get a chance to test the bluetooth performance ? Is there an option to mute while on a call ?
Yes I did test the bluetooth performance. And to be frank this was my first bluetooth experience. Even in my phone I have rarely used bluetooth. But I must say the audio is clear and it pairs well.

Yes there is a 'mute' button. Have not reached a stage when I needed to use it.

Cheers

Last edited by Rajain : 14th August 2014 at 17:24.
Old 17th August 2014, 22:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajain, I am keen to hear your feedback on the experience of using the car after say a month or so. I am in the market for a car for my mother and we have narrowed down to the Honda Amaze and Hyudai Accent. Tata Zest I rejected as I am not sure of their service standards and Maruti Dizire she rejected as she didn't like the looks. Car will be driven by an employed driver not her. In looks I like the Hyundai more. In terms of experience I've had a marvelous run with my Honda Jazz A.S.S. Thank you in advance for your trouble.- Narayan
Old 18th August 2014, 02:44   #37
Team-BHP Support

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)

Quote:
Rajain, congrats on your purchase and thanks for the nice review. Did you get a chance to test the bluetooth performance ? Is there an option to mute while on a call ?

Having extensively used the 'Blue & me' system on the Punto, I would rate the audio clarity on the Xcent at par if not better.

Controls being very big, it's easier to use as well without taking your eyes off the steering wheel- but there are some functions, like selecting contacts from mobile phone, for instance, that are not designed to be as intuitive as in the Microsoft blue&me. You will need to take your eyes off the road and your arm off that steering wheel to select a contact and make a phone call.

Explained with pic here-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3482693

Apologies for not cross posting the pic here. Browsing using mobile app.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th August 2014 at 02:50.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Rajain, I am keen to hear your feedback on the experience of using the car after say a month or so.
Its a premium car and feels that way too. After one month of owning it I have no regrets. None at all. No corner of mind saying wish I would have bought this or that. The vehicle gives more than you can manage to process. In terms of driveability and comfort and feel - it feels great and I am full of praise for the thought process that went into getting a car of this nature from the Hyundai stable.

Quote:
I am in the market for a car for my mother and we have narrowed down to the Honda Amaze and Hyudai Accent. Tata Zest I rejected as I am not sure of their service standards and Maruti Dizire she rejected as she didn't like the looks. Car will be driven by an employed driver not her. In looks I like the Hyundai more. In terms of experience I've had a marvelous run with my Honda Jazz A.S.S. Thank you in advance for your trouble.- Narayan
Personally I also evaluated Honda Amaze and Hyundai Xcent. I did not like the interiors of the Amaze. I liked the shape and choice of colors. The engine of Honda is also a shade better. But that is really where the comparision ended for me. The Xcent gave such a rich feel and all the features for the money that it does that I simply went for it. In our case also, it is the second car at home and for my wife. She is the main driver and only sometimes do I get to drive. I can certainly say it is very engaging. I have sat in the rear seat and felt good with my 6.2 height. So far we have not taken to the Hyundai service but having owned a Santro for 10 years I can say the build quality and the serviceability was impressive and that alone was a decision that helped me stay with Hyundai. But i will also say Honda and Toyota service is also top notch.

Quote:
Having extensively used the 'Blue & me' system on the Punto, I would rate the audio clarity on the Xcent at par if not better.
This is really my first use of bluetooth device in a car and I am quite liking it.

Quote:
Controls being very big, it's easier to use as well without taking your eyes off the steering wheel- but there are some functions, like selecting contacts from mobile phone, for instance, that are not designed to be as intuitive as in the Microsoft blue&me. You will need to take your eyes off the road and your arm off that steering wheel to select a contact and make a phone call.

Explained with pic here-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3482693

Apologies for not cross posting the pic here. Browsing using mobile app.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review in detail. Yes you are right chossing numbers from the phonebook needs hands off the steering.
Old 20th August 2014, 21:52   #39
cnu
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting to know the FE numbers in the city driving conditions.
Old 24th August 2014, 09:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I am eagerly waiting to know the FE numbers in the city driving conditions.
Hi
Here is the information that was missing so far - that's because I had not filled more fuel after first driving out of the showroom.

Got Shell tank up yesterday. Here are the details

Distance Travelled 271 kms
Fuel taken 23.1 lts - Shell (the original tankful was fuel from a normal bunk)
Average - 11.73 kmpl

This has been with city drive, 90% AC on (minus a short 1-2 kms drive or early morning). Just one drive of approx. 15 kms on toll road otherwise all city. Once I pressed the accelerator and threw the rpm over 3k but otherwise normal city drive.

I must say I am impressed with the fuel economy and expect that after 1000 kms or so the engine will settle down well.

Hope this information was useful.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 12:13   #41
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Average - 11.73 kmpl

This has been with city drive, 90% AC on (minus a short 1-2 kms drive or early morning). Just one drive of approx. 15 kms on toll road otherwise all city.
Cheers
Thanks. That's a really impressive figure. Hope this is with the ECO mode ON ?

Last edited by cnu : 24th August 2014 at 12:14. Reason: Typo
Old 24th August 2014, 12:44   #42
BHPian

Is Ecomode and gear indicator available in SO AT as well ? Planning to book one by next week.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:48   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Average - 11.73 kmpl
Ah! So my case if not a one-off! Hopefully this trend continues for both of us! 10 - 12 kmpl is very good IMO, considering the 8-9 kmpl figures usually mentioned for Hyundai AT cars.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Rajain, I am keen to hear your feedback on the experience of using the car after say a month or so. I am in the market for a car for my mother and we have narrowed down to the Honda Amaze and Hyudai Accent. Tata Zest I rejected as I am not sure of their service standards and Maruti Dizire she rejected as she didn't like the looks. Car will be driven by an employed driver not her. In looks I like the Hyundai more. In terms of experience I've had a marvelous run with my Honda Jazz A.S.S. Thank you in advance for your trouble.- Narayan
Hi Narayan... My brother & I were in the same boat a month ago evaluating a car for our Mother. Amaze, Xcent & Dzire were in the fray. We eventually chose the Xcent & are very happy with decision so far. The buying experience at Hyundai (MGF Cochin) was far superior to the Maruti ones (Sai Cochin & Khivraj/ABT Chennai) we've experienced so far. However this is the first Hyundai in the family & hope the A.S.S. experience turns out well, too. We are literally "amazed" at the great value Hyundai has given for the price ! One comment from our Mother though - the rear seat should have been a wee bit higher !
What went against the Amaze was the "thin/tin" feel and price differential of INR 60K+
knockout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:32   #45
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Is Ecomode and gear indicator available in SO AT as well ?
Yes, they are. See this.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize that you were asking for S(O), but these should be present in both variants.

Last edited by cnu : 24th August 2014 at 18:46. Reason: Added clarification.

Most Viewed