Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2015, 12:19   #76
BHPian

Re: Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)

Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore - 2200 kms trip report

With the Christmas holidays round the corner we had plans to be out somewhere. The usual Kerela/Goa (nice pleasant and easy) were evaluated. Then came the different thoughts of Gulmerg/Srinagar (cold - it would be -5 to -8) and then the somewhat bizarre thought of Leh also came (it touched -22 and hovered around -20 for all days). Finally we settled for less effort, easy holiday meant only for friends.

In a trip we did to Leh in July 2011 (yes we had driven from Bangalore) only we were from Bangalore while the other friends in the trip were from Pune/Mumbai. So we decided that this trip would be to meet up and celebrate with friends in this area. We have driven Bangalore-Mumbai a number of times earlier in our Opel and then Ertiga. The choice was clear. Diesel economy makes a compelling case for Ertiga. But then the other car in the garage is Xcent and some vibes came that why not in the Xcent. Sure. Xcent it is then. My initial apprehensions were - economy, will it do the ghats, what about high speed capability and the head lights - they are poor for a night drive.

Well with the decision made in favour of Xcent I quickly went and got a 90/100 W headlamp replacement with a relay. Normally I would not have prepared the Ertiga with anything because it is almost always ready for a long drive - has a bottle jack, our medical kit, air compressor, belkin chargers - the whole lot. So, a day before the journey I moved the essentials - air compressor, medical kit and bottle jack over to the Xcent. Small eats and water as well. Fuel from COCO at Koramangla was filled up and we were all set.

So here is a detailed highway trip report of the Xcent AT driven for 2200 kms from Bangalore to Pune to Mumbai to Pune and then back to Bangalore. There were two of us, three bags, 2 laptops, plus small provisions, water for 6 days and a few gifts.

Suspension

In one word the car totally surprised. The suspension is set up just perfectly well to take the highways and the city roads well. There is independent MacPherson strut layout at the front, and a coupled torsion beam axle at the rear - the aim was making sure the ride is plaint and easy. No bumpiness or bounciness. At speeds of 120 kmph the ride is planted and the car feels well settled. Minor potholes and bumps are absorbed with a minor thud. I did go through a variety of roads from the best of the expressway to the sections between Satara and Pune which has a few diversions. Never did we feel getting thrown about.

NVH levels

The NVH levels have been very well controlled. Start the engine and you would be hard pressed to make out if the engine is indeed running. The sound insulation is really well taken care of. The engine bay does not have cladding. None is needed either. The engine is super silent. I had test driven Honda City and felt it was butter smooth. I could not find the difference here. The engine running is super silent. At high speeds the wind sound is negligible and we were surprised. I think the Ertiga has more sound that comes into the cabin.

Handling

With the highway and a couple of ghat sections this is something I was eager to know and verify first hand. The tyres are 175/60 R 15 Bridgestone and they handle well. I had not thought of an upgrade and did not do it. The highway straights were nice and easy. On the bends you will be amazed how well behaved the car was and then the ghats were climbed with minimum fuss. Some credit to the tyre as well. Given that Bangalore - Pune is almost 900 kms (our friends are at Wagholi). The last 2 kms is a kutcha road and has a steep incline to reach their house. The steering is light and you can easily steer it in one hand. In any case one hand and one leg is free given that it is an AT car. The brakes do a fine job. Some folks may find the bite coming in too early but one gets used to it and I will say the brakes are outstanding. We did suffer a minor puncture – and it was discovered right when we were entering the Bandra-Worli sea link. Our air compressor was brought out. I filled the air and moved on. Later in the day we got the puncture fixed.

Engine

The engine at 82 BHP with 114 NM torque is a refined motor. The real test of an engine is not just lovely straight highways but also the undulating, the kutcha roads and the ghat sections. Besides the long straights the two main ghats - Lonavla and the one just around Satara were easily taken in the stride. I will say however, that around 85-90 kmph the vehicle waits 2-3 seconds before crossing 100 and then onward is still easier. Given that I had to cover 900 kms in a day a steady speed of 120 kmph was maintained through the day (on both directions) and I averaged 70 kmph from house to house in 12 hrs and 40 minutes (return journey). There were bio and fuel stops. We had had one break of half an hour for lunch. On the journey from Bangalore to Pune we completed in 12 hrs and 10 minutes with an average of 72 kmph. So you can imagine how through the day the engine was made to work hard and over a long distance. The best parts however, were the ghats and the tough steep incline at my friends house in Pune.

Convenience

This is our first car with a bluetooth function. I have never used one before. While going from Pune to Mumbai we had to coordinate meetings with friends and the bluetooth was extremely useful. One can just focus on the drive and talk. The cooled glovebox was also used to keep drinks cool. The trick is to start the ACC and run it a colder (like 18) temperature for a while. The drinks remain nice and cool. The ACC itself was a gem. I typically keep the temperature at 24 in the day and 25 at night. That is how it was kept.

Average

Yes I know a lot of you have been waiting for this specific piece. I was myself apprehensive that a car that typically gives 12 of so in the city may max go to 14 and that will be a drain but this car really amazed me with the average. It consumed 122 ltrs of petrol, covered 2200 kms and gave an outstanding average of 17.9 kmpl for the entire trip. This included 2 days of Mumbai city drive and a few hours of Pune city drive. In all of my previous highway runs I typically tank up at the two COCO fuel bunks (opposite each other at Dharwad). The next tank up was at the COCO just after Lonavala Ghat (on Pune-Mumbai section) and the COCO just opposite (on the Mumbai-Pune section). This was indeed the big revelation at least for me. I had expected a much lower average - in the range of 14 or at the most 15 but almost 18 that too with speeds of 120 kmph through the day with AC on was in one word outstanding. The average has been calculated using thankful method.

Overall impressions

Its a fuss free, easy to run, smart, safe, stylish, economical and comfortable car. I wish it also had an engine protection plate. That is feel should be standard in all vehicles. And the MID should have had some fuel/average/distance to empty data also. Other than that I could not find a fault with the car after having driven it across 2200 kms. In our return leg we did 6 hrs of day time journey and 6.5 hours with headlights on. I am glad I got the 90/100W upgrade as it was very useful. Our friends in Mumbai have recently purchased an Elantra AT and we went for a ride in that car as well. That was certainly one lovely top of the line sedan. Hyundai makes good cars which are total value for money and the ownership is easy and fuss free.

I have done the Bangalore-Mumbai run more than a couple of dozen times over the last several years but this trip I have given various details because for I felt it is useful to other Xcent users. Hope you found this trip update useful. Some pictures below.

General highway shots

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08031-1024x768.jpg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08036-1024x768.jpg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08077-1024x768.jpg

The ghat section

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08085-1024x768.jpg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08087-1024x768.jpg

Just before the Bandra-Worli Sea Link

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08131-1024x768.jpg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08133-1024x768.jpg

Using the air compressor

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08141-1024x768.jpg

The engineering marvel

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08144-1024x768.jpg

Resting after a hard day's work

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08201-1024x768.jpg

Sunrise in Pune and start of the return leg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08223-1024x768.jpg

Approaching another ghat

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08247-1024x768.jpg

Highway

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08264-1024x768.jpg

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08265-1024x768.jpg

Sunset somewhere around Hubli

Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)-dsc08210-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by Rajain : 1st January 2015 at 12:24.
Rajain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 13:46   #77
BHPian

Thanks for a detailed report on your long drive. I had a similar experience, although my drive was only half as long as yours. Endorse everything you have said; the only difference in my experience was that I got nowhere near 17.9 kmpl. Despite sedate driving and no acrobatics, my FE refused to go above 15.5.

In its segment, its a superb car.
Old 1st January 2015, 14:00   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

Using the air compressor
You had to top up air midway through the journey ?
Old 1st January 2015, 14:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Thanks for a detailed report on your long drive. I had a similar experience, although my drive was only half as long as yours. Endorse everything you have said; the only difference in my experience was that I got nowhere near 17.9 kmpl. Despite sedate driving and no acrobatics, my FE refused to go above 15.5.

In its segment, its a superb car.
A few things I kept in mind. One was always trying to get "ECO" green light as soon as possible. This was useful to know that the engine was at its economical best. Second the ACC was on 24 and 25. Third there were several down inclines which allowed for the engine to relax a bit. Fourth all fuel - for the entire trip was from COCO. Fifth, the tyre pressure was always 33 psi. As a friend was mentioning AT vehicles ensure that the gear you are driving in is optimum all the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You had to top up air midway through the journey ?
I am sorry, I should have mentioned that I had a puncture which we noticed just before the Bandra-Worli sea link. Soon after the bridge we got it fixed. I remember writing this point in my rough notes but I see I forgot to write it. We noticed it and I got the air compressor to do the job of filing air and taking us across. The air at that time was around 15 psi. Just before the return journey I got the air checked again and it was 33 psi.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 1st January 2015, 16:01   #80
Team-BHP Support

Nice. As you said- this is indeed very useful for us Xcent owners. I have never taken my car out for a long trip yet and had several questions in mind regarding the car- and your travelogue answers a lot of them.

17.9 is real nice. I was expecting somewhere around 12- 14 kmpl. Suspension is nice now, and I wonder what Hyundai will become a few years down the line, with such continous improvements.

I have a question that - that I had asked in the TD thread. What are the rpms corresponding to 100 and 120 kmph speeds?
Old 1st January 2015, 16:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry, I should have mentioned that I had a puncture which we noticed just before the Bandra-Worli sea link. Soon after the bridge we got it fixed. I remember writing this point in my rough notes but I see I forgot to write it.
No, you did mention about the puncture in the review.
Very well written stuff this is. And it is nice to know how much you are linking each bit of this car. I admit, I started reading this thread with very low expectations, after all, I am a petrol head, how can I like a Hyundai, supposedly. But your feedback and review have been spot on, I myself have started to like this beauty. In AT guise, it looks to be real VFM with all those bells and whistles and quality is just best in segment.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 19:08   #82
BHPian

Completely agree with everything Rajain has said. Just back from day long 425 km return trip from Bangalore - Vellore in my Xcent SO AT. Normally I take my Scorpio for highway drives but this time wanted to try Xcent since roads are excellent.

Ride was so comfortable, my wife who is a die hard Scorpio fan, has mandated next Highway trip has to be in Xcent. This car can easily maintain 100-120 all day long without any stress and nervousness at any point of time.

FE has been stupendous, full tank at Shell pump Bannerghatta Road in the morning and after 425 km, indicator is just below halfway mark. FE could be easily somewhere between 17-18 on highways, which I think is very good for 4 speed AT car.

@ crazydriver: RPM at 100 is shade below 3000. could be 2850 or 2900. didn't check at 120.
Ross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 20:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nice. As you said- this is indeed very useful for us Xcent owners.
Thank you. Coming from you who has himself written such a top review this is indeed a compliment.

Quote:
I have never taken my car out for a long trip yet and had several questions in mind regarding the car- and your travelogue answers a lot of them.

17.9 is real nice. I was expecting somewhere around 12- 14 kmpl. Suspension is nice now, and I wonder what Hyundai will become a few years down the line, with such continous improvements.
Take the car out on a long drive and you will be surprised. In fact a friend in Mumbai purchased an Elantra. His first car was Esteem and it has lasted him 10 plus years. Elantra is his second car. While in Mumbai we had a chance to sit in it and go for a short ride. It is really a lovely car with just about every gizmo you can think of. Cooled seats, dual ACC - what not. The engineers at Hyundai have just about given it their best shot.

Quote:
I have a question that - that I had asked in the TD thread. What are the rpms corresponding to 100 and 120 kmph speeds?
At 100 it hovers around 2800-2900. At 120 it is around 3100-3200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
No, you did mention about the puncture in the review.
Very well written stuff this is. And it is nice to know how much you are linking each bit of this car. I admit, I started reading this thread with very low expectations, after all, I am a petrol head, how can I like a Hyundai, supposedly. But your feedback and review have been spot on, I myself have started to like this beauty. In AT guise, it looks to be real VFM with all those bells and whistles and quality is just best in segment.
Yes I am quite liking the car now. Initially I also did not think much of it - considering the small 1.2 L engine - I personally was sceptical of the highway capability but this trip has been quite a revelation. As we were nearing Mumbai our cousins in Vadodra called us and were trying to entice us for a dinner there. Saying you have come till Mumbai come over till Vadodra and have dinner. A good offer but we had to refuse. After all being at Vadodra would have meant that Gurgaon would be just 950 kms and do able in 13-14 hrs and I would have been further enticed to drive home and see mom for the new year!

With all the bells and whistles and the automatic transmission this is a gem of a car. As mentioned in the beginning of this thread we did consider cars from a segment above but realised that this is at par at least as far as features and build quality go. It is total value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Completely agree with everything Rajain has said. Just back from day long 425 km return trip from Bangalore - Vellore in my Xcent SO AT. Normally I take my Scorpio for highway drives but this time wanted to try Xcent since roads are excellent.

Ride was so comfortable, my wife who is a die hard Scorpio fan, has mandated next Highway trip has to be in Xcent. This car can easily maintain 100-120 all day long without any stress and nervousness at any point of time.

FE has been stupendous, full tank at Shell pump Bannerghatta Road in the morning and after 425 km, indicator is just below halfway mark. FE could be easily somewhere between 17-18 on highways, which I think is very good for 4 speed AT car.

@ crazydriver: RPM at 100 is shade below 3000. could be 2850 or 2900. didn't check at 120.
We too have done Mumbai runs multiple times in our Ertiga and it was bought with the intentions of doing long distance in diesel economy. Now, after this trip I realise the difference of economy was approx. 1200 rs but the ride quality, NVH levels, nimbleness, handling and ease of drive of Xcent is way over Ertiga. Additionally, in my Ertiga we have the Thule roof top box and remain conscious of heights particularly in the basement parking spaces. No such thing for Xcent. The comfort of a drive in a sedan is way different than in a UV category vehicle. Though I will say a UV has its own advantages.

As far as the fuel economy is concerned I actually have the trip pictures from the MID which say the same story. My last tankfil was at Dharwad and since then the vehicle was driven 480 kms till home with the fuel indicator being in the region of 35% mark (a little over the last quarter) which means a tankful could have done over 600-625 kms.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:10   #84
JD1
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. I am in market for AT and had finalized on Micra CVT and SX(O) AT. Micra primarily because it meets all my needs and is at lower price. I was trying to purchase it before 31-Dec but negotiations with Micra dealer did not end successfully at the price point I had in mind (they had a Sep car in stock with my colour). Reading your travelogue helped me get rid of any skeptisimn I had about Xcent's highway abilities. So hopefully there would be one more blue coloured SX(O) AT in T-bhp stable in this quarter
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:40   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Quote:
At 100 it hovers around 2800-2900. At 120 it is around 3100-3200.
Thank you guys.

Not so bad as I had expected then. My Punto 90hp does 100@2500rpm and 120@3000rpm. Considering the huge difference in NVH between the two cars - I guess Xcent will be a nice and quiet mile-muncher.

Sadly though - I don't have an opportunity for a long drive in the Xcent soon, and Kerala highways are just
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Excellent travelogue. I am in market for AT and had finalized on Micra CVT and SX(O) AT. Micra primarily because it meets all my needs and is at lower price. I was trying to purchase it before 31-Dec but negotiations with Micra dealer did not end successfully at the price point I had in mind (they had a Sep car in stock with my colour). Reading your travelogue helped me get rid of any skeptisimn I had about Xcent's highway abilities. So hopefully there would be one more blue coloured SX(O) AT in T-bhp stable in this quarter
Besides the advantages of a sedan you will also have the benefit of a greater and much larger service network of Hyundai. It means a lot for peace of mind when you realise that in some remote area also there is Hyundai service and they will take care of the car.

Earlier in the thread I have listed the buying experience of Xcent AT from Trident and Advaith in Bangalore. I had also 14 years ago purchased a Santro from Nimbus in Noida. All of the experiences have largely been good.

If you are a petrohead please look at Verna otherwise Xcent will more than tick all boxes. Remember there is no replacement for displacement.

Look forward to reading about your experiences here.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 10th January 2015, 11:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
h) Economy – Ok not all that important given how little the vehicle would be driven. So petrol would be fine. In any case diesel AT cars are all above 12 or 13 L

Cheers
Thanks Rajain for the nice review of the AT. Can you now update on the realistic figures you have achieved on the mileage front, in the city traffic?

Last edited by gopa99 : 10th January 2015 at 11:57.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:20   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Thanks Rajain for the nice review of the AT. Can you now update on the realistic figures you have achieved on the mileage front, in the city traffic?
Hi

Its there in the thread earlier. Typically it hovers between 11-12 kmph. I stay in a layout which had wide roads. Closer to office there is a short stretch of bumper to bumper traffic. ACC is always on minus last month. Fuel taken is always COCO or Shell and tire pressure is regularly checked.

Hope this helps.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 18:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore - 2200 kms trip report
Rajain,

This Travelogue was "Just what the Doctor Ordered". A great deal of details and information provided and it does help a lot.

My Red Beauty has been booked with Advaith and likely to be delivered by this month end or Feb 1st Week. Eagerly waiting for its arrival. I shall post my experiences here soon!
Old 20th January 2015, 19:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincyf1 View Post
Rajain,

This Travelogue was "Just what the Doctor Ordered". A great deal of details and information provided and it does help a lot.

My Red Beauty has been booked with Advaith and likely to be delivered by this month end or Feb 1st Week. Eagerly waiting for its arrival. I shall post my experiences here soon!

Thank you. Yes the reason we took the AT this time was to just see its capabilities. We have been driving the Ertiga on this highway for a couple of years now.

Congratulations on booking your car.

I am beginning to see a lot more Xcents on the road now.

Which model did you book? Is it AT?

I have found AT to be a breeze to drive.

And yes, I have said this before and will say it again, the Xcent is total value for money.

Cheers

Rajain

Most Viewed