Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 19:23   #31
BHPian

Re: My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Slightly off topic,I made a presentation on earth dreams engine for college.
At the risk of taking it further off topic, out of curiosity, was it a technical presentation (if you are pursuing engineering), if so any pointers you have researched upon which may be worth sharing.
I don't intend to hijack and take this thread in a different direction, but this information can add value to the ownership experience and the community. I trail off here.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
At the risk of taking it further off topic, out of curiosity, was it a technical presentation (if you are pursuing engineering), if so any pointers you have researched upon which may be worth sharing.
I don't intend to hijack and take this thread in a different direction, but this information can add value to the ownership experience and the community. I trail off here.
I am pursuing engineering and MBA together so I choose the earth dreams engine as a green marketing initiative,It included mostly the initiatives honda took for marketing this product and badging this as a green product,did not dig deep into the technical aspects but here are some points which are worth sharing:
It is an enhanced version of Honda's VTEC
Bore pitch is shortened and thickness of the cylinder block is reduced compared to the vtecs
They have used a timed exhaust gas re circulation for turbo engines which apparently reduces friction

These are just the general changes but every engine class has different modifications.
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 19:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Bore pitch is shortened and thickness of the cylinder block is reduced compared to the vtecs
They have used a timed exhaust gas re circulation for turbo engines which apparently reduces friction
Are you saying that this diesel engine's block is thinner than the iVTEC petrol's?
Old 7th August 2014, 20:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Are you saying that this diesel engine's block is thinner than the iVTEC petrol's?
As i mentioned Earth dreams engine have different changes for different engine class,Honda uses Earth dreams badge for both petrol and diesel engines the reduction in the bore pitch and cylinder block is specific to petrol engines
Old 7th August 2014, 20:05   #35
BHPian

This is a superb review! I love the Honda City, every iteration of it except the Dolphin one. Favourite has to be the Type 1 Vtec.
You can't go wrong with a Honda. We have a 2011 City at home and it's a great car. You may not believe me, but currently amongst my City, Aveo, Gi10 and ex Santro Xing, the most powerful and expensive out of the lot is also the most fuel efficient.
I have heard from friends of friends, the City diesel's mileage is 18ish. Have you confirmed via tank full method? The on-board mid is a little optimistic, at least for the 3rd Gen City.
We are looking for a C2 sedan, I secretely hope it's a City again.
Between the SV and V, the SV is surely great value. Glad they haven't skimped on the safety kit. I have to strongly agree, the wheels on the V and VX look like sh*t. I am pleasantly surprised to see cruise control on the SV, I had no idea!!
The interiors are so much better than the outgoing model.

Quote:
No height adjustment for seatbelts
3rd Gen had it

Quote:
Don’t know why Honda gave fixed neck rests in the rear seat when the front ones are adjustable.
We Gi10 owners are sailing on the other extreme, fixed head rests in the front and adjustable at the rear.

Also, the test drive of the Verna which you took, was it the updated version?

Enjoy your new car
Old 7th August 2014, 20:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
This is a superb review! I love the Honda City, every iteration of it except the Dolphin one. Favourite has to be the Type 1 Vtec.
You can't go wrong with a Honda. We have a 2011 City at home and it's a great car. You may not believe me, but currently amongst my City, Aveo, Gi10 and ex Santro Xing, the most powerful and expensive out of the lot is also the most fuel efficient.
I have heard from friends of friends, the City diesel's mileage is 18ish. Have you confirmed via tank full method? The on-board mid is a little optimistic, at least for the 3rd Gen City.
We are looking for a C2 sedan, I secretely hope it's a City again.
Between the SV and V, the SV is surely great value. Glad they haven't skimped on the safety kit. I have to strongly agree, the wheels on the V and VX look like sh*t. I am pleasantly surprised to see cruise control on the SV, I had no idea!!
The interiors are so much better than the outgoing model.

3rd Gen had it

We Gi10 owners are sailing on the other extreme, fixed head rests in the front and adjustable at the rear.

Also, the test drive of the Verna which you took, was it the updated version?

Enjoy your new car
Thanks a lot

There is a 1 km variation in tankful and MID which i have noticed so far. For instance if MID shows 16, tankful calculation will be 15. Probably other i-dtec owners can pitch in with their observations.

I am consistently getting between 16-18 as per MID with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic and 100% AC.

Have tried Cruise control only twice just to get familiar with it. Will test it properly on my upcoming highway trip and report back.
No, It was a 2013 Verna.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th August 2014 at 20:55.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 21:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

MY first ever Detailing session.

1.- Used Muc off car shampoo.
2.- Applied Poorboys White diamond glaze.
3.- After 6 hours applied Poorboys Ex-p Sealant.

Combine time and everything done by hand- 4.5 hours.

Results are in pics below. Being a white car the reflection isn't much. Will appreciate suggestions to improve on it.

Front shots. Roof is visible in reflection.
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-img_20140804_165850.jpg

My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-img_20140804_171410.jpg

Side shot. Reflection of cycle is visible.
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-img_20140804_165919.jpg

Backside
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-img_20140804_165934.jpg

Beeding
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-img_20140805_130548.jpg
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 03:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
MY first ever Detailing session.

Combine time and everything done by hand- 4.5 hours.
Excellent !!! The effort shows. I suggest try using the torch light as well to check if any adjustments needed.I always wanted to buy the machine for the rotary finish infact almost bagged one for 5.5K as well but held back and continued to use hands which I feel is directly proportional to the energy left in you and the quality diminishes towards the end of the job .
I liked the finish and the water beading shows that you are successful to a very good extent considering that there were no tools used for the job .

cheers,
pdma.
Old 4th October 2014, 01:18   #39
BHPian

Hey Harry,

I was going through the thread again and noticed something that exited me.

Please let me know how much did you spend for the rear sun visor and also how tough is the installation , does this need any holes to be drilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
The face is the index of the mind (and heart)
Hello Anil,

I noticed that the grill is partially masked which looks wonderful , is it the reflection playing the trick or the grill is actually masked with something.

Kindly share the material used and more pics of the masking so that we can get a better look.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 4th October 2014, 09:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post

Hello Anil,

I noticed that the grill is partially masked which looks wonderful , is it the reflection playing the trick or the grill is actually masked with something.

Kindly share the material used and more pics of the masking so that we can get a better look.

Cheers,
pdma.
As you rightly suspected, it is a shadow play and no masking has been done.
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 09:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
As you rightly suspected, it is a shadow play and no masking has been done.
Thank You , however dont you think that now you should plan something now after looking at the picture . I jumped the gun and updated on the review thread as well and raised hopes of many folks , mentioning that you will show us the way .

Anyways no issues , if you plan something do let us know as for sure Iam desperately looking for options to do something about this grill and I dont want to spend a ton my replacing it.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 4th October 2014, 13:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Harry,

I was going through the thread again and noticed something that exited me.

Please let me know how much did you spend for the rear sun visor and also how tough is the installation , does this need any holes to be drilled.

Hello Anil,

Cheers,
pdma.
Hey pdma,
The cost was 500 and it took just 10 mins to fix it. Highly recommended and works well when car is standing under the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC-1412410756405.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 13:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You , however dont you think that now you should plan something now after looking at the picture . I jumped the gun and updated on the review thread as well and raised hopes of many folks , mentioning that you will show us the way .

Anyways no issues , if you plan something do let us know as for sure Iam desperately looking for options to do something about this grill and I dont want to spend a ton my replacing it.

Cheers,
pdma.
I sure agree with you that it looks way better this way. I even enquired with 3M and they said they have some sort of black paper that could mask the grill. But somehow I abandoned the idea for now. Shall surely inform you folks if I get this stuff done.
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 14:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sure agree with you that it looks way better this way. I even enquired with 3M and they said they have some sort of black paper that could mask the grill. But somehow I abandoned the idea for now. Shall surely inform you folks if I get this stuff done.
ON the related topic I am toying with the idea of getting it painted black. Or some matte kinda finish.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 22:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
ON the related topic I am toying with the idea of getting it painted black. Or some matte kinda finish.
Quote:
Shall surely inform you folks if I get this stuff done.
Thank You folks,

I really liked the sun visor and honestly the price even more . When I saw this in Ciaz I thought it was very cool as I never knew that these existed as aftermarket for other cars as well.

Looking forward for feedback & pictures when you get the masking done for the grill.
I know I still have time before I come back home and get my hands on any car , however this hideous grill is something that needs to be addressed If the City would end up being my ride.

Cheers,
pdma.

Most Viewed