Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 19:00   #16
BANNED

re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

Experts - What are the ways to fix under thigh support issue for rear and front seats on Verna fluidic? I am planning to get some seat covers done and will it be a good idea to add some additional cushion to solve it? Have anyone tried to solve this issue in the past?
Old 12th August 2014, 09:46   #17
BANNED

re: My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission

First and cost effective ICE upgrade....

Place: Throttle
Area: Jayanagar 7th Block
City: Bangalore

Here are the Products i restored from the swift that i sold and i don't remember the model numbers
1. Boston acoustics 12" sub with wooden enclosure
2. JBL GT series - 2 channel amp

PRICING
1. High Low converter - 1200
2. Wiring kit - 1800
3. Labour - 600

Over all installation time: 1 hour
DESCRIPTION:

After taking a quote from couple of installers locally, i have chosen throttle as others were trying to sell me the idea of exchanging my 2 channel amp with a 4 channel amp (costs Rs. 7500+ ). Though the music dynamics is better with the power distribution of a 4 channel amp, i decided to compromise with my existing kit.

First task was to remove the centre console and was to pull out the stock music system to check the wiring method.
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_114732.jpg

Then the wiring job from the bonnet has started. Getting the wire from the Battery till the amplifier
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_120019.jpg

Initiating the wiring for a hi low converter. The use of high level to low level line converter is to convert the radio's speaker level output to the lower amplifier (RCA) level input.
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_120455.jpg

The mat had to be cut for pulling out the loose ends of the cables and that is where the amplifier gets fixed
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_120858.jpg
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_120902.jpg

Getting the fuse ready. The input is powered by a battery.
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_121050.jpg
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_121330.jpg

Drilling the vehicle body for amp earthing
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_122322.jpg

Once the hi low converter ends were joined, they struggled to know the input source cables to splice it up. They had to bring a test speaker setup to know the the sockets, so that they would know which cables are to be cut.
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_124259.jpg

Adding up more wiring to the stock head unit that gets connected to the high to low converter
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_124735.jpg
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_124717.jpg

Finally joining the loose ends to the amp
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_124316.jpg

Here goes the sub. He had provided the option to disconnect the sub when not in need with a simple plug and pull socket.
My new ride arrives - 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi Automatic Transmission-20140811_145843.jpg

Over all quality of installation - 8/10
Over all sound quality after sub upgrade - 7/10

I might consider upgrading the front components in near future only upon convincing increase in quality. Until then, let the music keep me away from the engine noise
santhosh_lv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 00:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
First and cost effective ICE upgrade....

Place: Throttle
Area: Jayanagar 7th Block
City: Bangalore

Here are the Products i restored from the swift that i sold and i don't remember the model numbers
1. Boston acoustics 12" sub with wooden enclosure
2. JBL GT series - 2 channel amp

PRICING
1. High Low converter - 1200
2. Wiring kit - 1800
3. Labour - 600
Which brands did you use for the wiring and the high low converter ?
Old 13th August 2014, 08:23   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Which brands did you use for the wiring and the high low converter ?
The wiring says "X-static" and high to low converter says "ISK D22". Apparently, its yet an other china product and throttle claims that brand to be reliable and they have been using it over last 6 years.
Old 13th August 2014, 18:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The wiring says "X-static" and high to low converter says "ISK D22". Apparently, its yet an other china product and throttle claims that brand to be reliable and they have been using it over last 6 years.
Whenever you decide to upgrade the front components upgrade the converter and the Aux cables to a brand like audison and you will certainly appreciate the difference.

Last edited by Jag4 : 13th August 2014 at 19:08.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:14   #21
BANNED

Finished first 1000 kms in my verna diesel AT and the ride has been getting more comfortable other than the under thigh support. Can someone answer couple of my questions please

1. Should i get the under chassis rust free coating now or shall i do it after an year? What is its practical importance?
2. Regarding the seats, is there a way i can add additional cushion to get rid of the thigh support issue? If so, would like to know the workaround in detail. I see that the people aren't very comfortable sitting for a long while.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:32   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Santosh! This is the first verna AT thread i had come across. Thanks for the very detailed write of the transmission. The ICE upgrade looks sweet.! Wishing you many happy miles of safe and trouble free ownership.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:43   #23
BHPian

Congrats! Santhosh on your purchase.

The car looks swell...Interiors are classy and opulent.

Like I said earlier, You will not regret buying the Verna AT

Any under belly scrapping issue when fully loaded?

My 2 cents on seat covers - Any artificial leather will make your back sweat and I have regretted and got it removed from 3 of my cars. Stick to the stock ones (which are lovely BTW) or go for Original leather ones if your wallet permits (Approx 30k).
Old 21st August 2014, 14:22   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congratulations Santosh! This is the first verna AT thread i had come across. Thanks for the very detailed write of the transmission. The ICE upgrade looks sweet.! Wishing you many happy miles of safe and trouble free ownership.
Thank you Amarendranath. Honestly, the ICE upgrade didn't lead to the quality of sound i expected. When i have time, i need to have the un-even sound distribution revisited. Glad you noticed and liked the write up on the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Congrats! Santhosh on your purchase.

The car looks swell...Interiors are classy and opulent.

Like I said earlier, You will not regret buying the Verna AT

Any under belly scrapping issue when fully loaded?

My 2 cents on seat covers - Any artificial leather will make your back sweat and I have regretted and got it removed from 3 of my cars. Stick to the stock ones (which are lovely BTW) or go for Original leather ones if your wallet permits (Approx 30k).
Thank you Anand. I always remember your first post that gave me information about gear changes and light foot driving. The more i drive, the more refined i notice. You were so true !

In last 20 days, under belly scrapping happened 3 times and now that i realized it happened when there were 4 people in the car. However it was completely avoidable, most of the times i forgot about its moderately soft suspensions and low GC.
Old 21st August 2014, 14:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should i get the under chassis rust free coating now or shall i do it after an year?
You car comes with all this anti rust stuff coated on the chassis and body from the factory. It is part of the paint process.

I would have considered this if it was a coastal city. Even then, there is less a need to do all this with a modern car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 14:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
1. Should i get the under chassis rust free coating now or shall i do it after an year? What is its practical importance?
2. Regarding the seats, is there a way i can add additional cushion to get rid of the thigh support issue? If so, would like to know the workaround in detail. I see that the people aren't very comfortable sitting for a long while.
Congrats on your 1st 1000km!
Personally I don't see a need for under chassis rust free coating at all in Bangalore. It is just different means from various dealers to extract more money out of you. Have never come across any problems with people not doing this!

Thigh support is a hit or miss with modifications, you can add some cushioning but that may upset the ergonomics, since its an upgrade from Swift to a fairly low seated car you may be noticing this. Give it sometime.
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:

In last 20 days, under belly scrapping happened 3 times and now that i realized it happened when there were 4 people in the car. However it was completely avoidable, most of the times i forgot about its moderately soft suspensions and low GC.
Is it the mud flaps scrapping or body or bumper?
Why I ask is because in my Rapid, the mud flaps used to scrape and I thought it was the body scrapping. Got the mud flaps removed..Voila! No scrapping at all. 168 mm GC is adequate.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:24   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on the diesel AT. And in this segment I guess Verna is the only choice!! Nice review.

You mentioned in the opening post you never wanted to go back to driving a petrol? why is that/any particular reason or was it because your swift's a petrol? I see you considered the i-dtec Honda City MT but why not the Petrol City AT since it would give you more or less the same mileage plus some more gadgets and the paddleshifts?

Just wanted your opinion as I am confused between the Polo GT/City AT and the Verna AT?
Old 21st August 2014, 17:40   #29
BHPian

Congratulations Santhosh....this is a great looking car.

You say that the Auto box lasts only 100k kms and replacement is going to cost 250k. That is a bit steep in my opinion. What warranty are they offering? Are they extending it too. If yes till what distance and time.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:54   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Congratulations on the diesel AT. And in this segment I guess Verna is the only choice!! Nice review.

You mentioned in the opening post you never wanted to go back to driving a petrol? why is that/any particular reason or was it because your swift's a petrol? I see you considered the i-dtec Honda City MT but why not the Petrol City AT since it would give you more or less the same mileage plus some more gadgets and the paddleshifts?

Just wanted your opinion as I am confused between the Polo GT/City AT and the Verna AT?
Thank you microaubin. I could see that you have read the information in detail. Let me give you my opinion on few questions you asked..

1. Petrol Engines - Not a lot of petrol engines are fun to drive these days (there are few exceptions like ford fiesta, VW polo GT and so on), so after driving a swift turbo MJD, i was always inclined in choosing vehicles that is fun to drive and at the same time having low NVH levels offering me refinement. Clearly, City is not offering a sporty petrol engine here.

Before talking about reasons for not choosing City AT, first lets review my take on missing features from City

a. Sunroof - Good to have, hardly matters to me.
b. 3 modes of reversing camera - I have 1 and its great. 3? hmmm,, could be better
c. cruise control - I have used this feature in the past, but this isn't a practical one for me. I mean, shouldn't i be doing something sitting in the driver's seat?
d. Rear Ac vents - A useful one. But my friends in the rear seats are super happy the way cooling effect reaches with a slight increase in blower speed
which still keeps it silent
e. Great seating position & comfort - I miss this.
f. 5 Speed Auto transmission gearbox - I miss this because of the expected FE increase

2. Why not City AT -
1. Comes only in the petrol variant unlike Verna offering AT on diesel engine
2. Not a powerful petrol engine
3. City Petrol AT is noisy and not sporty
4. City Diesel engine is not refined as Verna D engine (the most refined in this segment ). Though Verna gives me a 4 speed auto gearbox, it does the job extremely well.
5. High petrol costs - That means, high running cost. Still goes way ahead of diesel car maintenance
6. Driver's car -Definitely Verna.
7. Build quality - Few of my friends who own 2014 city has told me about the light weight build quality to offer better FE. I liked the Verna's fluidic design, build quality and corrected suspensions under high speed driving (i don't drive beyond 120 kmph) and its 16" alloys with its stock 195 tyres

Now, this is the most toughest task - Suggestion Your choices are great and each one has its advantages. If i were you, i would consider something between polo GT & Verna AT if its primarily for driver. If it is for the family and a chauffeur driven, it would be City

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
Congratulations Santhosh....this is a great looking car.

You say that the Auto box lasts only 100k kms and replacement is going to cost 250k. That is a bit steep in my opinion. What warranty are they offering? Are they extending it too. If yes till what distance and time.
Thanks vijit. Well, its more about its clean performance till 1 lakh kilometres, and it may be really unfair to call its shelf life. They offered me warranty for 2 years + 1 year extended (3rd year or 70,000 kms - Whichever starts early) and i have been told that i can take an additional 2 years warranty during the 3rd year.

Last edited by santhosh_lv : 21st August 2014 at 21:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks