Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2006, 04:55   #1
BHPian

1000 km report of my new vtec

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3323/1000199vw5.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/5112/1000201rl2.jpg

1000 km on my new vtec

Took delivery on July 11, 2006 at 6.30 pm from hallmark Nerul, waited for 30 minutes to finish paper works, drove it straight to HP filled 44 liters of power, it is supposed to have a 42 liters tank, anyway, my joy was short lived because of dreaded events on that unfortunate day, so I decided not to distribute sweets that day, anyway next day replaced stock tyres for Bridgestone potenza 185/60/14. Here are my observations of the first 1000 Km.

Tyres upgrade: one thing which everyone suggested to me even on this forum was upgrading tyres, so I had already spoken to one dealer in sector 17, but rather then 185/65/14 I went for 185/60/14. no change in ground clearance, and bridgestone potenza I think should be standard on Vtec, I mean 195 is what many of you have suggested and I can understand why, but I personally think 185 suits this car to T, I found a huge difference in grip obove speeds of 70 km, although being in run in period I have not gone above 85, cornering has been confident, and no drop in FE, keep in mind folks every decision on this car has been mind over matter and this car is petty much the same.

Ride Another concern was ride, I have been maintaining psi 32 front and 30 back As recommended by Honda, I would say my car has been thoroughly tested for ride quality as I have done many trips on Vashi-Thane roads with potholes and bumps to swallow an entire Maruti, ok ride on slow speeds is bit hard and u can feel all the unevenness of surface, I realized ride at back seats can be slightly harsh if you are not careful, as my wife complained once when I was with my friend, I think if I lower the Psi by 30 in the front tyre maybe things would have been different and will soon try out, but I want to keep a track record of Fe with specific tyre pressure, but if you are ready to take into consideration pathetic road condition minor bumps were confidently handled with that muted “thud.” In all as many have pointed that ride can improve but on other roads with whatever wear and tear I found it satisfactory, of course as speed builds up ride quality improves further

Power steering is it me or what, but at speed obove 80 it feels well weighted maybe because of tyre’s, but one of my worst fear that steering would be too light at high speeds has disappeared couple of turns at 85-90 and I felt completely reassured that I can party later on when I would be doing those crazy numbers

Engine, gears and clutch feel Trademark Honda stronghold, do I have to tell how smooth the engine is, gear shift is short and sleek, I had initially trouble downshifting from 5th to 4th, but sooner sorted it out, also shifting has improved further, clutch is light and a boon in traffic, we all know it’s a city car and in that mould who can beat it,

Performance and fuel efficiency :when I was going to Vashi just after taking the delivery, on the highway my mind was too preoccupied with emotions at the age of 30, my second car is Vtec, some memories of my early days of struggles, for a moment I was lost in my thoughts, I looked at odo, 85km, I was like my god and I slowed down man I didn’t even realize before I was at 85, now I can understand why many including me can never satisfy their Devils, this car is too subdued for that kind of power, performance is understatement here, as if she is shy to show off, but hell she is quick and can thrill you if you want, but that rawness would never be their and you have to accept that it’s a mature performer rather than cowboy type, I have done only one trip to lonavala in it and could not resist from doing 130km for a while, its has loads of power in higher bands, real fun starts at 3000 rpm, anyway for the time being I am waiting for my car to do another 500km and then only I would be able to comment on its actual performance also I am keen to see how does it holds at higher speeds, Fe well I got 12.5 on my first fill, and its going 13 on the second in mixed driving conditions, no complains here either

Summing it up: interiors are done tastefully, loads of space inside, I remember having 8 people in my car, one kid two 14 or 15 aged girls and rest adults when I took it to my wife friends place who has this very big happy family, what I liked was the fact with 8 persons on board I had no problems going over couple of speed breakers, dash board reflection is true and I have experienced it, the only problem I face was driver side door not shutting properly and you have to slam it hard, went to my dealer 30 minutes and problem solved, no other problems. Put Lumar film on side and back Garware ice-cool upfront, dealer has given me free Teflon, Anti-rust, and usual mud-flaps etc that apart a discount of 40,000 as I have gone for finance. That’s it guys for now will update you all after my 5000km.

Have enjoyable and safe driving

p.s mods pls adjust the image size, as i could not do it,

Last edited by ajmat : 27th July 2006 at 07:41.
Old 27th July 2006, 09:05   #2
BHPian

Cool car! Nice write up there Fight_Club. Post more pics please.and yea drive it safe buddy.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 27th July 2006 at 09:07.

Most Viewed