Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 19:47   #16
BHPian

Congratulations DWC. You have bought yourself a beast. You should take her out on a open highway to get a feel of her real potential.

Nothing can match the timeless design of a German car, both exterior & interior fit n finish. Happy mile crunching !

Last edited by suhas_raj : 10th September 2014 at 19:48.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:27   #17
BHPian

Re: Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI

Congrats DWC! Nice car and a very nice colour. Do take extra care to maintain the shade as this shade of blue needs extra attention. You will definitely enjoy the drive. And please post some interior pics as well. Do you think that the silver finish on the center console makes the dashboard look better?
Old 10th September 2014, 21:58   #18
BHPian

Congrats DWC, that's quite a move from the commuter Santro to the enthusiast's Polo, and the right move at that, you'd love every bit of the Polo, wishing happy miles with smiles, I too like the Polo most among these premium hatches and my impressions on the car can be read here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3524578

and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3525536

and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3526113
Old 10th September 2014, 22:18   #19
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Congratulations DWC. You have bought yourself a beast. You should take her out on a open highway to get a feel of her real potential.
Already done. Went for a nice long 300 km round trip a couple of days after I got her. Man, its tough maintaining the low revs during run in. Every once in a while I let myself go. These cars are super stable at speed. The ride quality is easily the segment best. You feel as planted at speed as you do otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Congrats DWC! Nice car and a very nice colour. Do take extra care to maintain the shade as this shade of blue needs extra attention. You will definitely enjoy the drive. And please post some interior pics as well. Do you think that the silver finish on the center console makes the dashboard look better?
The shade sure is a tough one to maintain. However, i'm not getting too paranoid every morning when my car washer comes around. I've told him the basics, and will send pamper Nyx with spa treatments every few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I too like the Polo most among these premium hatches and my impressions on the car can be read here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3524578

and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3525536

and
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3526113
Thanks Philip, have already read your impressions. I think i've read every thread on the forum about VW cars.
Old 10th September 2014, 22:38   #20
YCJ
BHPian

Hey great car!Polo looks good in Blue!
During your buy, did you get any information regarding the GT TDI launch?
Old 11th September 2014, 12:07   #21
BANNED

Congrats man.
I want to know if you asked VW dealer to remove the chrome 'Volkswagen' from the back of the car or it came without the name?
I read in the Elite review that Hyndai has dropped their name from the trunk lids. And that, initially the Polos came without their Brand Name on the lid but later it was added to make the brand popular. My friend's 4 yr old Polo has it.

If VW intentionally removed it, then it sure means they are confident that the word of mouth will bring more footfalls at the dealers than the Volkswagen name on the trunk lid. Goes on to show that their logo is enough. I won't even need the logo on the car to tell it's a VW. They all wear clean lines—except of course the bug, which is an anomaly that became very popular.
Old 11th September 2014, 13:00   #22
DWC
BHPian

@Mahesh - The car came like this. I prefer it this way myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCJ View Post
Hey great car!Polo looks good in Blue!
During your buy, did you get any information regarding the GT TDI launch?
Thanks, was told launch will be sometime in September. Bookings were open when I went to the showroom. In fact, I would have booked the GT TDI if it wasn't for the long waiting periods.

Yesterday my SA called and asked if I would be interested in driving down to the Chakan Plant on the 20th to visit the VW factory to see how the cars are made. Sounds like fun, but ive got family visiting so had to turn down the offer.

Contrary to my earlier post on not getting paranoid with my car washer, he has now been told to keep his grubby hands off the Polo and stick to the Santro. Noticed small swirls already all over my lovely, nearly started crying. From now on, I'm going to start taking care of her myself. I'm dreading going through the entire detailing thread (there goes another month or two of my life).

Posting a few more pics.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4503.jpg
Nice detail in the bulb.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4504.jpg

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4505.jpg
The fog/cornering light.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4506.jpg

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4507.jpg

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4508.jpg
Neatly integrated nozzles for the windshield washer.

Posting some interior pictures:

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4509.jpg
Drivers View.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4510.jpg
The ac vents close fully if required. The angle of the headlight beam can be adjusted. The light switch is currently off. Front and rear fog lights can be activated by pulling the switch out. One pull for front fogs, a second pull for the rear fog light.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4511.jpg
All four windows are one touch. Windows come with pinch control or something. Basically, the window rolls back down in case it comes into contact with anything (your hand) on the way up. The knob is used for electrically adjusting the mirrors. Use it like a joystick, its pretty intuitive. The car auto-locks at 15 kmph. Even though the car is locked, it can still be opened from the inside. The rear seats can be opened with a double pull on the handle. Cool safety feature.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4512.jpg
The aluminum brushed center console houses the central a/c vents, the RCD320 and the automatic climate control. Not a great fan of the sound of the speakers, somethings missing. The music doesn't sound crisp enough. Fiddled with the lows, mids and highs and it helped a bit, but still far from what I would like.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4513.jpg
Leather wrapped hand brake.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4514.jpg
Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4515.jpg

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4516.jpg
The footwell lights are a nice thoughtful touch.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4517.jpg
Speakers on all four doors.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4518.jpg
The glove compartment is quite large and has space for your shades. Though they would probably get scratched against the plastic.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4519.jpg
Rear visibility is strictly average. Must add that the ORVM's do a fantastic job.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4520.jpg
Passenger visor gets a mirror. Driver gets a flap for toll tickets.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4522.jpg
The left stalk is for your high beam and turn indicators. A slight tap to the indicator and it blinks thrice letting the vehicle behind you know that you are changing lanes.
Control the volume, mute the call or scroll between tracks using the left steering mounted controls.

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-img_4523.jpg
The right stalk operates your wipers, front and rear. The lever on top of the stalk is to change the speed of the intermittent wiper. Pretty handy in the madness that is Mumbai's monsoon.
Answer calls, use the voice control feature, change what you want to view on the MID, scroll between trips. All this is controlled on the right steering mounted control.

There are a couple of buttons in the instrument cluster as well. One sets the clock and shows you how many kms you have till your next service. The other is a reset button for your trip recorder.

I'm still figuring out the MID functions and their integration with the controls. So feel free to add in case iv'e missed on on something. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by DWC : 11th September 2014 at 13:05.
DWC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Hi DWC,

Congrats on your new sets of Hot Wheelz !
Might I say that you just stole my recent dream of wheels as I almost bought Polo 1.5D Highline blue color but for my wife, who liked grand Asta better and it was for her use.

I TD Polo 1.5D Twice and the gear-box impressed a lot. It gave good coverage & torque at all the range.

For a buyer, I think the Highline is best choice as value added in much more than the price difference between variants.
The Best part is the steering wheel and I am sure it is the best of the lots of steering wheels on all the VW presently sold in India.
Old 11th September 2014, 14:38   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy DWC. Nice color. On the car itself, it's probably the most understated & clean design and yes, it's a beast!

Did you get a chance to try cornering lights yet?

Wishing many more happy & safe miles ahead.
Old 11th September 2014, 15:40   #25
BHPian

Just a suggestion: Please change your headlamp bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision 60/55W. Theyre for 700 bucks each, totalling Rs. 2800/- MRP. The stock headlamp bulbs have pathetic brightness, reach and spread.
Old 11th September 2014, 17:02   #26
BHPian

DWC - Welcome to VW world. You will for sure, enjoy your drives and will never be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Just a suggestion: Please change your headlamp bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision 60/55W. Theyre for 700 bucks each, totalling Rs. 2800/- MRP. The stock headlamp bulbs have pathetic brightness, reach and spread.
As Satya says, I would suggest to change bulbs. That's what the first thing I did to my Vento, immediately after the delivery!
Old 11th September 2014, 20:01   #27
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
Congrats on the new buy DWC.
Did you get a chance to try cornering lights yet?
Thanks. The cornering lights come one automatically whenever the indicator is activated and the steering wheel is turned. So yes, they do work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
DWC - Welcome to VW world. You will for sure, enjoy your drives and will never be disappointed.

As Satya says, I would suggest to change bulbs. That's what the first thing I did to my Vento, immediately after the delivery!
Thanks for the tip guys. I'm more than happy with the stock lights on the car. I find the throw of the beams to be very adequate. Maybe the newer cars are better equipped? Maybe after the dismal beam of the Santro, this seems heaven sent.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
The aluminum brushed center console ....
This is one part I am not too pleased with the new polo, it doesn't look premium, would have preferred a piano black finish, maybe the GT twins will have Piano black, I hope so.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 22:52   #29
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
This is one part I am not too pleased with the new polo, it doesn't look premium, would have preferred a piano black finish, maybe the GT twins will have Piano black, I hope so.
IMO, it looks quite good in person. And yes, the twins do come with a piano black center console.
Old 11th September 2014, 23:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

DWC, congrats on your new car! That's a very nicely written review and the new Polo looks much much better than the previous one. Every time I see one (the feel good factor is very nice); I feel like giving a damn to all those stories and getting a VW group car. Regarding the after sales experience, I would still be very wary of them. But apart from that, enjoy your new car. Even though the automatic DSG gear box is brilliant when it comes to drive-ability (despite those reports of failures); nothing beats the pure thrill of a smooth manual transmission. Drive safe and enjoy the new car!

Most Viewed