Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 21:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Did you book a new GT TDI for yourself? .
No I have the previous 1.6 GT TDi. The headlights are crappy though. I think the dual beams on the new Polo should be much better. The new polo also seems to have a different shade of beige of the inserts as well.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:19   #62
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
Dear DWC,
What is the use of the voice command function on the right hand side of the steering ? I am unable to figure out the use of it. And do the contacts sync from your phone ?
Pressing Voice command enables you to speak to your phone. The name is pretty self explanatory actually. If your phone supports the function, you can command your phone to perform certain actions simply by speaking to it. For example, press voice command and say 'play so and so track', or 'call so and so'.

Your phone should have the feature for it to work though.

Nope, the contacts do not sync to the display. Only the number pops up. Haven't been through the RCD320 manual yet, maybe there's something in there that will sync it. Let me know if you figure it out.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:44   #63
DWC
BHPian

Ok, so I finally received the aluminum pedals which I ordered from aliexpress. After close to two months waiting, I had honestly written it off. Was pleasantly surprised when they landed up at my door yesterday.

First I had to remove the rubber clutch and brake pedal which was factory fitted with the car.

There is no rubber pedal for the accelerator. Its a single piece assembly.

The aluminum clutch pedal fitted on perfectly, as did the accelerator pedal.

The new brake pedals however come with a slightly different design than the old Polos. The older Polos have a hole in the brake pedal over which the new pedal can be fitted.
This is missing in the new Polo. So had to cut off a piece of the rubber from behind the aluminum brake pedal for it to actually fit. Even after doing this the piece was not fitting properly as it was sliding off the pedal. So did so good ol' fashion 'jugaad' and stuck it with fevikwik!

Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-image.jpeg

I'm super happy that my parcel came through from aliexpress, now I can buy some more goodies from them!

In other news, I received the black film for smoking my taillights a couple of days ago. What a waste of money that was. I specifically told the seller on ebay that I wanted a light tint, just enough to maybe darken the shade of the taillights.
'Yes sir, yes sir.' What you see in the picture is what you get.

What I saw:
Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-t2ec16jhjguffh1opyu8brohey4uk60_12.jpg

What I got:
Nyx - My Night Blue VW Polo 1.5L TDI-t2ec16fhjhoe9n3kd5bibqoelktjg60_12.jpg

What I ended up with was black tints. So basically, when the lights are off, all you see in place of my taillights are just two black blobs. Removed it within 10 minutes of putting it on, raised a complaint on ebay and waiting for my replacement/refund.
DWC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 18:38   #64
BHPian

Hi,
I have recently bought a new polo 1.5. After 2-3 days of driving, especially through rough and uneven roads i am getting a rattling somewhere from the front meter console and left front door. I am not sure about the exact site in the meter console but its from the dashboard. Did you had any experience like this in your car?
Old 10th October 2014, 22:13   #65
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Hi,
I have recently bought a new polo 1.5. After 2-3 days of driving, especially through rough and uneven roads i am getting a rattling somewhere from the front meter console and left front door. I am not sure about the exact site in the meter console but its from the dashboard. Did you had any experience like this in your car?
Hey man, I suggest you take your car to the service center and have that checked out. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you I have not faced any rattling.

In other news, got my first dent today next to the right rear wheel arch. Some stupid taxi guy bumped into a hand-held cart which bumped into my car. Got a small dent and all the paint has peeled off. Luckily, its in the bottom corner so its barely visible. Still hurts though. Will post a pic soon.

My mum's in town so we're going for a day trip tomorrow. Will be driving to Udvada and back. Shall update the thread post the drive.

My Anthracite Grey Plasti Dip has arrived safely from NYC. Unfortunately for me, its stuck in Calcutta. Mum was supposed to get it along with her, but aerosol cans are not allowed on Spice Jet flights. No way was I letting her risk it. So, im still trying to figure out how to get my hands on the Dip.
Old 10th October 2014, 22:23   #66
BHPian

Thanks man. I will be visiting the service centre in the coming days. I got to know our fellow bhpian 'amanomics' was also facing the same issue. So thought of doing an enquiry to know if its an issue with a particular batch?
Old 11th October 2014, 23:11   #67
DWC
BHPian

So i'm back from a 450 km trip today. Tanked up before the trip, and still have 1/3rd of my tank full.

What can I say about the drive that already hasn't been said?
Handling is spectacular, great high speed stability, torquey engine, blah blah blah.

A couple of subtler observations:

1. The torque surge is best experienced in the 3rd and 5th gears.

2. Trip mileage depends on the initial driving conditions. For example, when I crank up and drive off in the morning, if the roads are good and I nurse her, then I can easily get good fuel efficiency around 10 minutes into the engine reaching its optimum temperature. From here onwards, even if I change my driving style to a more aggressive one, it does not impact the real world FE. Similarly, if I need to drive through some of Mumbai's most choc-a-block roads from a cold start, the real time mileage hovers around the 11-12 kmpl mark. Getting good roads later does not do much to change the displayed mileage.
Need to do a proper full tank to full tank to figure this out.

3. I can't fast forward tracks from the HU or from the steering mounted controls. The manual says that keeping the 'next track' button pressed, fast forwards the track. It doesn't. Anyone else tried fast-forwarding/re-winding their music on the RCD320? Also, contacts from your phone do not sync with the system. Only numbers get displayed, names do not. Sad.

Also, faced my first 'real' problem with the car today. I had activated the safety button for the rear electric windows before the trip. You know, the one on the driver side door that does not allow rear passengers to open their windows even if they try.
Came back home and tried de-activating it. The light stays illuminated and the safety feature is still active (pressing hard does not work, nor does pressing it a 100 times). Going to sleep on it, hope its one of those things that just goes away by itself. If not, i'll need to make a trip down to the service center.

Last edited by DWC : 11th October 2014 at 23:13.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Try removing the battery's negative terminal for 15-20 mins, push brake pedal a few times to remove any residual current, re connect the terminal and give a try before visiting service center.

Had an issue where in my rear left power window in vento was not working, did the above circus and the window started working fine.

If does not work out, get it checked at the first service.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 10:00   #69
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Try removing the battery's negative terminal for 15-20 mins, push brake pedal a few times to remove any residual current, re connect the terminal and give a try before visiting service center.
Coolboy, you are seriously cool! Thanks for the tip, worked like a breeze.

Had to recalibrate the power window's one-touch up and down function as well, as it got disabled when I removed the negative terminal. This is done by holding down the power window button to fully open the window and then pulling it up to fully close the window. Each window has to be done separately.
Old 12th October 2014, 13:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:

3. I can't fast forward tracks from the HU or from the steering mounted controls. The manual says that keeping the 'next track' button pressed, fast forwards the track. It doesn't. Anyone else tried fast-forwarding/re-winding their music on the RCD320? Also, contacts from your phone do not sync with the system. Only numbers get displayed, names do not. Sad.
I am not sure why it doesn't work for you. I use my source as USB and when i press the change track button continuously either in the steering wheel or the HU, the track gets fast forwarded. What source are you using ?

And do you know how to change folders from the steering mounted controls ?
In my City, when you long press the next track button from the steering mounted control, it changes folder.
Old 12th October 2014, 19:32   #71
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure why it doesn't work for you. I use my source as USB and when i press the change track button continuously either in the steering wheel or the HU, the track gets fast forwarded. What source are you using ?

In my City, when you long press the next track button from the steering mounted control, it changes folder.
I sync my phone to the system using bluetooth. All my music is stored on my phone. I think ill try other sources to check if they work.

Sorry man, can't help you with how to change folders. Like I said, all my music is on my phone, so never had to change folders. Let me try and tinker around a bit using a usb. I'll post back if I figure it out.
Old 13th October 2014, 00:11   #72
BHPian

Quote:
=F2005
Hello F2005, you cannot change the folders in the VW Polo HU using the steering wheel controls. Well this is applicable to the pre facelift Polo. In the new one I guess its there on the right hand side steering wheel control.

Last edited by rejoycjohn : 13th October 2014 at 00:13.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
you cannot change the folders in the VW Polo HU using the steering wheel controls. Well this is applicable to the pre facelift Polo. In the new one I guess its there on the right hand side steering wheel control.
F2005, The folders cannot be changed through the steering controls in new polo.

Rejoy, new polo comes with audio controls on the left side itself. On the right side, there are controls for voice command, phone connectivity and MID.
Old 27th October 2014, 00:33   #74
DWC
BHPian

I normally wash the car myself, once sometimes twice a week. So today I decided the pop the hood after giving her a wash, just to see how dirty/clean the engine bay is.

I noticed a layer of dirt all over the engine bay. Nothing to worry about here, its been a couple of months now and I was expecting a lot worse. So took a damp cloth and wiped down the engine cover, the air intake box and the battery.

How can I clean the engine bay? Ive seen people hose it down, but I dont know whether this is a good idea or not. Looking for some tips on the best way to clean everything under the hood.

I also noticed that the coolant was a little below the minimum mark. This is kinda scary as I dont want my engine overheating any time soon. Do I take her to the service center for a check up? Any reason why the coolant level could have dropped after just a couple of months of ownership?
Old 27th October 2014, 08:10   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How can I clean the engine bay? Ive seen people hose it down, but I dont know whether this is a good idea or not. Looking for some tips on the best way to clean everything under the hood.

I also noticed that the coolant was a little below the minimum mark. This is kinda scary as I dont want my engine overheating any time soon. Do I take her to the service center for a check up? Any reason why the coolant level could have dropped after just a couple of months of ownership?

Don't know how its done in India, but here is how I used to do it back in Europe. I cleaned the engine bay once a year. I use a degreaser and spray that liberally all over the engine and the various parts. BUT before doing so, I wrap all the electrical connections, sensors in plastic and duct tape. Leave the degreaser to soak in and then use a high pressure hose to clean all the muck off. ideally I would use a steam cleaner. You have to do this in a place where they can collect all the dirty/contaminated water water.

On the coolant; check for any visuals clues of leaks. If not, I would just top it up with the appropriate coolant liquid and check it very regularly to see whats happening. As it is a new car, you might want to take it back to the dealer, just to be on the safe side.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks