Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 22:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Hi Longhorn,

Thats a decent FE in city driving. My Waggy is 2 and 1/2 years old now and is running strong at almost 19000 KMs with no niggles. The FE that I get is around 14 to 14.5 kmpl,obviously depending on traffic patterns with AC on almost 90% of the time. My driving is on the Western express highway in Bombay which is notorious for traffic snarls which go on for several kilometers in the peak hours.
That's excellent FE you are getting there with the kind of traffic you have mentioned. We rarely face kilometers of blocks in Chennai, though you could encounter slow moving traffic during peak hours and get stuck at traffic lights. I'm eventually hoping to achieve 15 kmpl in the city with 100 % aircon. I believe 18 kmpl is very much achievable during highway runs though. Always running in the city alone is not good for a vehicle. We need to hit the highways too, at least occasionally.
Old 14th April 2015, 19:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
That's excellent FE you are getting there with the kind of traffic you have mentioned. We rarely face kilometers of blocks in Chennai, though you could encounter slow moving traffic during peak hours and get stuck at traffic lights. I'm eventually hoping to achieve 15 kmpl in the city with 100 % aircon. I believe 18 kmpl is very much achievable during highway runs though. Always running in the city alone is not good for a vehicle. We need to hit the highways too, at least occasionally.
Agreed, hitting highways is important, but my family is strictly against taking the Wagon R on highway drives due to absence of safety kits.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 15th April 2015, 14:38   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I regularly get 13.5-15 kmpl within city (this is where the car moves 80% of the time) with 100% AC. Traffic is crawling at times but mostly it is slow to medium paced. On the last highway run of 800 kms, the car ran 17.8 and 17.3 kms to litre on two consecutive tank-fills. The car is surely frugal in the city but I was expecting 20+ kmpl on the highway which I haven't achieved yet.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th April 2015 at 14:40.
Old 15th April 2015, 19:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Agreed, hitting highways is important, but my family is strictly against taking the Wagon R on highway drives due to absence of safety kits.

Regards
Dieseltuned
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Even I regularly get 13.5-15 kmpl within city (this is where the car moves 80% of the time) with 100% AC. Traffic is crawling at times but mostly it is slow to medium paced. On the last highway run of 800 kms, the car ran 17.8 and 17.3 kms to litre on two consecutive tank-fills. The car is surely frugal in the city but I was expecting 20+ kmpl on the highway which I haven't achieved yet.
15 kmpl is what I am hoping to achieve in the city once the 3rd service is through. I believe keeping it in the 2k-3k rpm range is the key to better FE. 20 kmpl on the highway is a tough ask for the WagonR. This is mainly due to the breadbox dimensions that do absolutely nothing to reduce drag(wind resistance). Somewhere between 18-18.5 would be really great for this car, though you could probably achieve 20+ figures on the AStar or Alto K10 which have the same engine but are inherently much more aerodynamic.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:21   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
15 kmpl is what I am hoping to achieve in the city once the 3rd service is through. I believe keeping it in the 2k-3k rpm range is the key to better FE. 20 kmpl on the highway is a tough ask for the WagonR. This is mainly due to the breadbox dimensions that do absolutely nothing to reduce drag(wind resistance). Somewhere between 18-18.5 would be really great for this car, though you could probably achieve 20+ figures on the AStar or Alto K10 which have the same engine but are inherently much more aerodynamic.
Yes 2k-3k is the key to achieve better FE but the engine loves to be revved hard and off-late I started giving in to the temptation. Once in a while I rev it to nearly 3.5-4k in the 2nd and 3rd gears (despite this the FE still hovers around 14 kmpl which means there is still scope for better FE). Regarding the highway FE, now that you mention the slab like proportion, I realize and completely agree the 20 kmpl might be a dream.

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th April 2015 at 11:22. Reason: Used hard instead of higher
Old 25th May 2015, 22:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up the vehicle today. Petrol is currently retailing at 69.51 thanks to the double blows given by the govt within a span of 15 days inspite of crude oil price being ~ 63 dollars.
Usage Pattern - 100% city driving
Aircon usage - 85 %
Kms covered - 311.3
Litres consumed - 23.03
FE - 13.51 kmpl

FE is not bad considering the fact that quite a bit of running was in bumper to bumper traffic and the extra load on the a/c thanks to the scorching summer. Odometer stands at 4680 kms now. Still waiting to hit the 5000 km mark.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 06:53   #52
BHPian

Hey longhorn. I too consistently get around 14kmpl on my 8 months old, 4300 km driven waggy. This is with 90% ac on and the same % of city driving.
By the way, how's the gear shifts in your car? I get slight jerks when depressing the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd and little less from 2nd to 3rd. My shifts are timed between 1.5 k - 2k rpm. Planning to get this checked during the 3rd service.
Otherwise pretty happy with the vehicle except for the small bootspace and more so with the lack of internal storage area. My 15" smartphone finds difficulty in fitting inside the small space near the gear lever and keeps falling down. A 1 litre bottle doesn't fit anywhere. The side pockets are pretty useless except for storing tiny things.
Old 26th May 2015, 21:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Hey longhorn. I too consistently get around 14kmpl on my 8 months old, 4300 km driven waggy. This is with 90% ac on and the same % of city driving.
By the way, how's the gear shifts in your car? I get slight jerks when depressing the clutch when shifting from 1st to 2nd and little less from 2nd to 3rd. My shifts are timed between 1.5 k - 2k rpm. Planning to get this checked during the 3rd service.
Good FE there. I guess 13 - 15 kmpl would be norm for city rides, though its closer to 13 than 15. I don't get any jerks while shifting, probably need to check if your foot is completely off the A pedal while shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Otherwise pretty happy with the vehicle except for the small bootspace and more so with the lack of internal storage area. My 15" smartphone finds difficulty in fitting inside the small space near the gear lever and keeps falling down. A 1 litre bottle doesn't fit anywhere. The side pockets are pretty useless except for storing tiny things.
Yes smartphone storage is an issue, though mine hasn't fallen down so far(<5 inch screen). A one litre Aquafina/Bisleri bottle can be accomodated at the fag end of the centre console. It is a tight fit and would not fall off while cornering.
Old 14th July 2015, 22:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle has finally completed 5000 kms with the odometer standing at 5086 kms now. Took it to MRF Tyredrome for wheel alignment, wheel balancing and tyre rotation. I have attached a few snaps of the same. The entire activity took slightly more than an hour. Total bill amount came to 684 Rs. There was a minor adjustment done for toe for the front left wheel. Caster and camber are anyhow not adjustable for the WagonR.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review-tyredrome001.jpg  

2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review-tyredrome002.jpg  

2014 Maruti WagonR VXi - Ownership Review-tyredrome003.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2015, 22:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up the vehicle yesterday. Petrol is currently retailing at Rs. 64.83

Aircon usage - 85 %
Kms covered - 547.2
Litres consumed - 40.51 (includes a partial refill)
FE - 13.51 kmpl

FE is very consistent now in similar usage pattern. That's a good sign. Odometer stands at 52xx kms now. 3rd service is due at the end of this month.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Completed the 3rd free service a few days back with the odo standing at 5303 kms. Total bill amount came to Rs. 1160 including taxes. Engine oil (2.9 litres) and oil filter was replaced. Asked them to fill regular engine oil. Didn't feel it was worth going for fully synthetic oil at double the cost, especially with the low running that I have. There was a rubbery sound coming from the clutch due to some misalignment of the Y fork leading to the clutch release bearing. This was fixed by them free of cost. Had to leave the vehicle with them overnight for rectifying this though. One bar of fuel always manages to disappear after service, even though the service centre is just 1 km from my house.

Last edited by longhorn : 2nd September 2015 at 21:38.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:44   #57
BHPian

I am late to join this thread, but anyway, congratulations on the car and nice to know that the WagonR is performing well.

3rd Service at 5303 km is very low running. I hope you drive it regularly for short distances rather than letting it sit for days at a stretch.

Needless to say, keep the thread updated (like you've been religiously doing)!
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
I am late to join this thread, but anyway, congratulations on the car and nice to know that the WagonR is performing well.

3rd Service at 5303 km is very low running. I hope you drive it regularly for short distances rather than letting it sit for days at a stretch.

Needless to say, keep the thread updated (like you've been religiously doing)!
Thanks for your wishes. The vehicle is mainly used for family commutes on weekends. It normally sits idle during weekdays, though I do use it for office commutes once in a while. I don't think that should be a problem, given that its a petrol motor under the hood. Even my earlier M800 had similar usage, covering just about 60k kms in a span of 14.5 years.
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:43   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your wishes. The vehicle is mainly used for family commutes on weekends. It normally sits idle during weekdays, though I do use it for office commutes once in a while. I don't think that should be a problem, given that its a petrol motor under the hood. Even my earlier M800 had similar usage, covering just about 60k kms in a span of 14.5 years.
This petrol motor won't be a problem for low running. My running for the past 2 years has been 8k kms with the vehicle lying idle for 20-30 days at a stretch (it is going to increase significantly from next month). It still starts in a single self and performs flawlessly. Even we upgraded from a 13 year old M800 just like you. During the last couple of years of the M800, its running was less than 1000 kms/year, and yet it never troubled us. Wishing you many more trouble free years ahead in the tall boy hatch.
Old 15th September 2015, 19:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Tanked up the vehicle a couple of days backs. Petrol is currently retailing at Rs. 61.52

Aircon usage - 95 %
Kms covered - 244.4
Litres consumed - 18.45
FE - 13.24 kmpl

A negligible 0.25 kmpl dip in FE over the last two fill ups. Probably due to the higher aircon usage, assuming that the service centre didn't flick fuel.

A couple of rattles have appeared from the driver door/ driver side seatbelt area after service. Can't understand why these morons can't even do a regular service properly. There were zilch rattles when the vehicle was sent in for service. Need to take this up with the service centre folks. I usually try to avoid/prolong sending the vehicle to the service centre as far as possible, unless a service is due. I'm paranoid about leaving the vehicle with them.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks