Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2014, 23:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White

Congrats buddy. I remember when I was in the market for a car (albeit for a friend), we looked at Jetta, Fluence, Laura, City. The Jetta easily beat everyone in sheer driving pleasure. Of course, we ended up buying the Fluence because of a really excellent deal from the dealer, but nothing can really beat the Jetta in terms of its lineage and driving pleasure! Congrats, many more happy miles to you!
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:41   #32
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the wishes.

I know I have been missing in the thread for a while now, but I would like to add a few of my experiences with the car after about 4-5 months of ownership.

1. The car is a pleasure to drive, even in stop go traffic. The Cedia was not very comfortable in stop go and you always had to use the half clutch method to keep moving in slow traffic. In the Jetta, you can take your leg of both the accelerator and the clutch and just let it move along at a very slow pace. Doing this also seems to give a pretty decent mileage.

2. After my initial highway run, I have been using it only in the city and I am getting an average of 9.5-10 kmpl per tank full. Thats quite good in my books, taking into account that I drive only 5 kms each way to and fro office on most days.

3. Last week I had some work at whitefield, and being a sunday traffic was not too bad on the way there, but got worse on the way back. A total of around 20 kms, with an average of 12.5kmpl is what I got.

4. I have started using coasting where ever possible.

Overall the car is a pleasure to drive and a single push at the accelerator takes you to 3 digits pretty fast.

If there is one thing that gets my goat, its the basic system. Which brings me to my question. Can I get some ideas on what would be the best system to install in the car and how will this affect my warranty. I know I can get the RCD 510 from aliexpress, but the guys at the workstation will not install anything not bought from them and the blaupunkt 935 is a rip off at the showroom prices. I have also heard some not so good reviews of the system. So, I am hoping for some inputs from you guys.
Old 25th December 2014, 13:23   #33
BHPian

Guys, sorry for the back to back posts. I have finally decided to go for the RCD 510 for the upgrade and would just like to hear the inputs on the warranty. As the dealer will not fit anything bought from outside, I will have to get it done from an outside installer. If no wire is cut or spliced, what would be the warranty situation?
Old 25th December 2014, 14:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Guys, sorry for the back to back posts. I have finally decided to go for the RCD 510 for the upgrade and would just like to hear the inputs on the warranty. As the dealer will not fit anything bought from outside, I will have to get it done from an outside installer. If no wire is cut or spliced, what would be the warranty situation?
Dealers just scare you so that you buy more accessories from them and give them more business. RCD 510 is a specific VW product and if you are not cutting or splicing anything there is no way they can deny warranty.

I doubt they will even notice that you've done any modification as the RCD 510 is a stock system. Very few of them know their own variants that well
Old 25th December 2014, 14:49   #35
BHPian

Cool, thanks for that. Have written to VW as well....hopefully they will get back.
Old 27th January 2015, 09:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Cool, thanks for that. Have written to VW as well....hopefully they will get back.
Hi Mav2000, so did you hear from VW about this? And did you go for the RCD510 system afterall?

If you do not mind can you provide some details on how the music system upgrade worked out for you?

Also some information about the prices would be welcome.

I am currently considering a Jetta CL, and the music system with only 4 speakers at the front is one of the sore points.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Hi Mav2000, so did you hear from VW about this? And did you go for the RCD510 system afterall?

If you do not mind can you provide some details on how the music system upgrade worked out for you?

Also some information about the prices would be welcome.

I am currently considering a Jetta CL, and the music system with only 4 speakers at the front is one of the sore points.
As mentioned earlier in the thread I did go ahead and change the system to the RCD 510. I am still to do anything about the speakers though. For the front seat passengers, anyway these four speakers are quite enough.

On the upgrade side, it was quite easy to do and I was able to do the whole system stuff myself. I got the bluetooth installed from outside as that is a bit complicated. The connections are straight forward, but placement of various parts is a bit difficult. I paid around 15k for the system and bluetooth module.

As of now, steering controls work, Climate controls show on the screen, reverse sensors reduces volume of the music, but OPS is not working. Also the system does not show up in VCDS.
Old 21st February 2015, 16:37   #38
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I updated this thread. The car drives like a dream and anytime I get that little bit of a free road, I really love what it can do.

On the sound system side, I decided to go with a Bosch made RCD 510, with the accompanying 9w7 bluetooth system. But all is not well and I guess I need help from someone who knows how to manage radio installs better than I do.

To start with, I have recently installed an RCD 510 EU version as well as the 9W7 bluetooth in my 2014 Jetta. The car originally came with the RCD 320 (with ISO connectors). So I got onto aliexpress and ordered the ISO-Quadlock cable, Fakra cable for radio antenna and the full plug and play wiring harness for the 9w7.

I have it up and running with a few small issues. Let me first enumerate what is working:

1. System works, SD, radio etc etc. (CD error keeps popping up, but vendor will sort that part out)
2. Phone connects to the system and I am able to download my phone book and make and receive calls and also have full control of the phone from the RCD 510 screen
3. Steering controls work. PTT does not though, works as a mute button
4. Climatronic system shows in the RCD display

Now where I am confused is:

1. MFI display does not show anything, no song names, no phone menu and no phone status. I have the highline full white display with the door open screen.
2. On connecting VCDS 77 Telephony does not show up at all. If I add it manually, it keeps scanning, but is not able to speak to that system. Nor does the Radio Module, there is no radio module at all in the VCDS scan.
3. OPS does not show up on the screen of RCD 510

Let me add here, that I tested a Delphi system first, and had the same issues, other than point 1, as thats moot with a 9w2 bluetooth.

My wiring seems to be right and I think I may be stuck because I need to do something on the VCDS. But I have no idea. Robimahanta has been trying to help, but both of us are a bit confused as to what to do next. We have done a full scan of the system and have three fault codes:

17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010

19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010

77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000

Address 77: Telephone

Cannot be reached

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb

Part No SW: 5C6 920 873 HW: 5C6 920 873

Component: KOMBI H04 0811

Serial number: 00000000000000

Coding: 171B00

Shop #: WSC 00047 000 00057

ASAM Dataset: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09 A04721

ROD: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09_VW32.rod

VCID: 6BDE14CD820F8479AA9-803E

1 Fault Found:

13654544 - Databus

U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message

Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 6

Fault Frequency: 3

Reset counter: 52

Mileage: 3006 km

Date: 2015.02.17

Time: 10:55:03

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 7N0-907-530-V2.clb

Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 AK HW: 7N0 907 530 AK

Component: J533 Gateway H57 1642

Revision: H57 Serial number: 200414F1003429

Coding: 351003

Shop #: WSC 00047 123 12345

VCID: 79F23E85F05326E9285-802C

1 Fault Found:

01305 - Databus for Infotainment

004 - No Signal/Communication

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01100100

Fault Priority: 1

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 52

Mileage: 3006 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2015.02.17

Time: 11:03:29

I dont have module 56:radio showing up as well.

I have a feeling, I need to change something else in VCDS before these two (radio and telephony) starts showing up by itself. If the wiring was wrong, then even the steering controls and climatronic should not work. One of my friends did the same upgrade and was able to get everything working right away. But his car was a highline version with the RCD 510 to start with. He just added the 9w7 BT. Needed no VCDS at all.

I would really appreciate some help from you guys on this issue. Its just been irritating me for the last few days and anything I try just does not work. I removed the fuse and reinstalled after about 5 mins and that didnt help either. Do I need to remove the 15A fuse and do something else as well?

I have gone through the wiring a number of times, but can find no fault anywhere. In fact I even got one more harness and tried again, with the same result. I spoke to Sugesh at Vagtune today and he says that there seems to be a need to connect the canbus to the engine module and not BCM on the Jettas. But if this were to be done, then things like MFSW and climatronic should not work with the RCD 510 right?

Once I am done with this, I will try and put up the whole DIY and hopefully this will help.
Old 27th February 2015, 17:37   #39
Team-BHP Support

Please go through these Russian links I’ve posted below and use Google Translate. The owners have managed to retrofit the RCD 510 on their Ventos (sold as Polo Sedan there) and Jettas.

1. https://www.drive2.ru/l/4820274/

2. https://www.drive2.ru/l/2736073/

3. https://www.drive2.ru/l/3142797/

On one link, they mention this (as per Google Translate):

Quote:
After that we go in Vasya diagnostician in 19y unit. Put the check in the 56m section "Radio". We go in the 56 block and encode radio under the configuration of your car (Park Distance Control, the number of columns).
Google search for drive2.ru + Jetta RCD 510. You will get a lot of links and how owners have fiddled around with the system to get the HU to work properly.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 14:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please go through these Russian links I’ve posted below and use Google Translate. The owners have managed to retrofit the RCD 510 on their Ventos (sold as Polo Sedan there) and Jettas.

1. https://www.drive2.ru/l/4820274/

2. https://www.drive2.ru/l/2736073/

3. https://www.drive2.ru/l/3142797/

On one link, they mention this (as per Google Translate):

Google search for drive2.ru + Jetta RCD 510. You will get a lot of links and how owners have fiddled around with the system to get the HU to work properly.

Thanks for the links man. So it looks like coding wont help my problem as I tried it at the VW workshop today as well and enabling 56 radio didnt help. It keeps saying not able to reach that component.

That means that what Sugesh from Vagtune was suggesting was correct. There has to be 2 wires Can + and - which need to be connected to the BCM. Now thats where I am stuck, but if I do get going on this I will keep you guys posted. There is an existing can connection on the ISO wires, but that seems to only work for Climatecontrol and steering operations. This is what is confusing to me.

Last edited by mav2000 : 28th February 2015 at 15:21.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:55   #41
BHPian

Been a while since my last update, but this update is a biggie. First things first:

Update no. 1

Finished my 6 month free check up and everything was fine. They just checked various parameters, washed and cleaned the car and I was out of there. The checkup was done at Volkswagen Rajajinagar and I am quite happy with the service attentiveness so far. I guess the real test will be at the one year mark. The car has finished only 3500 kms till now. The only real niggle I seem to see right now is the front passenger seat belt seems to be a bit lose and keeps hitting against the side cladding, which is irritating in an otherwise quite and refined drive.

Update no. 2

I finally decided to go with the Dynavin N6 and bought the same through Dynavin India. Luckily for me they were running an offer at that time and was able to get the system for a shade under 50k. As some of you know, I have been looking for a good upgrade to the sound system for a while now and I was quite unhappy with the existing RCD 320 system. The RCD 320 is a system which seems to have all the connectivity options (USB, SD, AUX and bluetooth), but nothing else. Its a pathetic system for a car that costs this much. Initially I bought the RCD 510 (tried Bosch as well as Delphi, 9w2 and 9w7 bluetooth) and even though it was certainly an upgrade from the RCD 320, I could not get OPS and MID+ to work with it. The main reason for this is that VW have made some changes in the mid 2013 onwards cars and the Trendline and Comfortline no longer share the same harness as the Highline. The downgrade from the RCD 310 to the RCD 320 also means that the car comes with ISO connectors and not the Quadlock connectors.

I tried a lot of things to get the OPS and MFD+ to work, but to no avail. I spent time on forums, including the Russian/American sites, but still did not achieve anything. I tried coding through VCDS and spent a lot of time on that with Robi (thanks man #robimahanta ), but that didnt help at all. We would not be able to install Radio and Telephone in VCDS at all, try as we might.

I looked and reviewed various choices that would have the factory OEM look and feel:

1. Blaupunkt 835 - Nice system and definitely better than the RCD 320. The interface though put me off. Also the fact that the Bangalore Blaupunkt team insiste on selling only through VW, where the prices are very high as compared to those on Snapdeal. I also felt that if I was spending 1/2 a lac I rather have the Dynavin.

2. RCD 510+ 9w7 BT - Like I said, considerably cheaper option (almost half), but was not able to get the system working according to my requirements.

3. Other Android and Win CE systems from Aliexpress - Some of them are quite cheap and they are not really upto the mark. I didnt want to go for an android system as even though it has a lot more features, it has a lot more bugs as well. The win ce based systems were relatively bug free, but sound quality and warranty kept playing in my mind

Finally after 2-3 months of trying various things I finally got in touch with Vagtune, through Robi. After seeing the Dynavin in Robi's car and also the review here on Tbhp, I knew this had to be the one upgrade I could not live without (thanks are due to #ajaypjayaraj for his indepth review). The price was somewhere in the ballpark that I had thought of to start off with and it seemed to be getting glowing reviews from across the globe on various forms. Spoke to Sugesh and went ahead with the purchase after applying the discount code.

Sugesh was slated to come down to Bangalore for the opening of the new Vagtune store and I was eagerly waiting for the store to start and get my system installed. Finally this last Saturday, on the first day of the store opening, I went across and got it done. All I can say was that it was a lengthy procedure and not one I would have managed by myself, by any stretch of the imagination. There was a lot of work to be done and it took a good couple of hours. I dont want to get into the details of the works that need to be done as that would be kind of pointless to most of us. Suffice to say it was very very difficult and needed a lot of technical and practical experience. Sugesh with his team did it as quick as they could and made sure that not a single cable was cut or crimped. Nothing that can cause a warranty issue in the future. Everything was done slowly and carefully, with a lot of personal attention from Sugesh and Amit. There are easier ways to achieve the same outcome, but that would involve cutting and crimping and that was something that was not even discussed, even once.

Finally got everything sorted out and all I can say is that I was happy that I went with Dynavin and Vagtune. Superb product, superb service and everything done with a level of patience and professionalism that is rarely seen in this business. Everything works perfectly, and even the GPS antenna has been installed inside the system area and still works perfectly. The system comes with all the bells and whistles and even a couple of colleagues who own the latest gen BMW 3 series were in awe of the system and the number of features that they have managed to cram in. The highlights of the whole setup are:

1. OPS works beautifully and even shows the driving lines
2. MFD+ works, shows incoming call, radio info and song info
3. Movies on SD work
4. GPS
5. Ipod integration (works beautifully - any of you guys using sd cards for music, change over to an Ipod and it will sound even better)
6. GPS antenna stealth install
7. No wiring cut or crimped
8. Completely clean install, no mics or antennas hanging around on the dashboard area. Everything is in the OEM designated place or well worked into the available space.
9. All cables nicely bunched together and ziptied to keep it clean
10. IMPORTANT: There is no issue with the right hand side buttons on the steering wheel changing songs or controlling the N6. I think this may be only on Skoda cars.

Kudos to Sugesh and Amit for this install and for all of you guys out there looking to install a good system in your VAG cars, this is the place. Yes, they are a little more expensive than others, but what you get is a great product and a team who work with VAG cars everyday. They have all the equipment and access to knowledge under one roof and you can be sure that a professional job will be done.

On a side note, guys with VAG cars (specially VW/Skoda cars), will go nuts if they step into vagtune. If I had any more money on me that day, I would probably have ended up with a new steering and HL headlights. Pics of the system to follow.

Last edited by mav2000 : 23rd March 2015 at 17:05.
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:47   #42
BHPian

Looks like I cant edit the previous post, so apologies for the back to back posts. I would also like to add one gripe with the system, that it seems to be not bright enough when out in full sunlight. Anyone who has already used Dynavin can probably let me know if my settings are wrong. But, here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_112451.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_112443.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_112507.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_112520.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_111138.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_111429.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-img_20150323_111129.jpg  

Last edited by mav2000 : 23rd March 2015 at 20:49.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The highlights of the whole setup are:
1. OPS works beautifully and even shows the driving lines
Reviving an old thread.

Many of us have been trying to get the OPS working with RCD330G or R340G on Jetta CL. However, the conclusion is that the PDC of the CL does not support this feature and needs to be swapped for a PDC of a HL variant.

Can you please elaborate how they got OPS working on your Jetta CL...

Did they swap the PDC?

Or is there a VCDS hack that all of us are missing here?

On a different note, since there is a lot of mention of FE on this thread, I would also like to post here that the 1.4TSI motor is one of the most fuel efficient one out there. The best I have got so far over a pure highway run is in excess of 25KMPL.

However, stop-and-go FE figures are quite low. For short commutes, I get ~8KMPL, and bad bumper-to-bumper traffic it drops to even 6-7KMPL.

I have one more observation. The driving style does not effect FE very much. This is in sharp contrast to the 1.8TSI motor, which can make you cry on the FE front if you push it hard. Spirited driving on a Superb TSI gave me 4KMPL!!

The 1.4TSI seems to be more refined/ deliverable and has more meat than the 1.8TSI up to 3-3.5K RPM range. But after that the 1.8TSI is distinctly better. I think that is the reason VW chose it over the 1.8TSI, as Jetta was pegged as a practical executive sedan. Since, the average driver mostly drives below 3-3.5K RPM mark, I think overall the 1.4TSI is a better drive, with better FE figures to boot in.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Confusion and enlightenment - The story of Snow White-20180529_202239.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2018 at 07:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
acemanhiflier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 10:26   #44
BHPian

Bcm has to be changed in the CL jetta that came with the rcd 320. Also the can + and - cables need to be attached to the bcm. The bcm is behind the instrument cluster and is very very difficult to access and replace, so keep that in mind.

Most Viewed