Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 22:37   #16
BHPian

Re: The Red Devil - VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI

Absolutely Stunning! Congrats mate. VW has very cleverly styled the new gen GT's. The black theme really elevates the looks of the car, specially in red. Looks bloody red good.

Wishing you miles of safe and niggle free ownership. Enjoy your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since yours is the facelift model, why are you on the older alloys? Have you asked it specifically?
The New GT's come with the old design itself. I remember reading somewhere that this was done to give the car a more sporty look. Well i agree on this, the "Tosa" setup looks fresh but definitely is sober when compared to the "Estrada".
Old 29th September 2014, 22:40   #17
BHPian

Congratulations, anshurao!
The red and black combo gives the car a stunning look. The photos are excellently taken as well.

Wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring.
Old 29th September 2014, 22:54   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
New GT's come with older design alloys (Estrada) which are much better looking than the new design (TOSA)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
The New GT's come with the old design itself. I remember reading somewhere that this was done to give the car a more sporty look.
Thank you for the clarification. I thought it was TOSA for all the New Polo's. Didn't know the Estrada was still being given for the GT's.

But if seen on the basis of looks the Estrada will be my choice anyday. It looks brilliant and does give the the car the sporty look.

Anurag.
Old 29th September 2014, 23:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Wow, that's a nice quote.

Did the VW dealer give you any quote? Mine's a 2008 model Vdi and has only 44k on the odo which means
Hey, these are quotes from people who know my car. VW offered me 1.9L exchange price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodoc View Post
Hi anshurao

Wow! Just wow! The car looks absolutely stunning. Congrats on the buy. I can imagine your excitement on seeing it in flesh. The piano black interiors, ORVM and spoiler goes with the car very well.

I'm looking forward to what you finally think about the 1.5 compared the 1.6. Any Mods or dIYs planned?

Sunny
Thanks Sunny, am still jumping in excitement. I feel the 1.5 is little more silent compared to the 1.6. The top end i felt was better in the 1.6. However I haven't pushed my car to the limits where as I had pushed the 1.6 GT. I somehow feel the brakes are better in the 1.5, again not sure about the condition of the test drive vehicle.

No mods planned as of now, just have upgraded the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Congrats on the new GT. The car looks good in red. Just for my knowledge what is the indicated top speed of the new polo?
Thanks TB16, the indicated top speed is 185 or 190 Kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Congrats and welcome to the GT Club !!

The color looks awesome and must be the envy of neighbours !!

Awesome your on-road price worked out to be less than the moolah some of us GT folks down south have paid for the previous model.
Get some fat rubber on the GT like Vikram's GT(Also Red), the on-road presence is transformed.

I'm curious to know, how is the acceleration and refinement compared to the previous model (If you've had a chance to drive the previous GT).
Also, how is the suspension beyond 100 KM/H ?

Happy GT'ing.
Thank you so much no_boundaries, I upgraded to 205 55 R15 the day I took delivery

It's been a while i have driven the 1.6GT, somehow feel the old GT may have been little quicker to 100. But I clearly like the gear shift in the 1.5 GT and the noise levels are surely lesser.

Quote:
Congratulations buddy.

A few points:
  • The best looking hatchbacks in the country till now after the Swift, IMO.
  • The best looking colour on a Hatch and does give it the real meaning of 'Hot' Hatch.
  • The best looking steering wheel on a hatch and in the segment!
Since yours is the facelift model, why are you on the older alloys? Have you asked it specifically?
Thanks Anurag, I cant agree with you more, Swift surely was my 1st love and still remains close to me.

Even the facelift GT models are delivered with the old spec alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikstharun View Post
Congrats on the new ride buddy ! Looks stunning in that colour and your photos makes it look even more stunning 😁. Drove my Friend's GT TSI for a couple of days. It sure does fly. 😁 Happy GTing !
Thanks a lot kikstharun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Hello Anshurao,
A well written review and also a great selection of colour, the Polo looks stunning in Red. I'm currently driving the Swift Diesel and It has been with me for the past 6 yrs and hence I'm looking for an upgrade too in the coming months. Could you please tell me about your opinion on the Hyundai Elite i20 and reason for not considering it? And also comment on the NVH levels of your G2 with regard to your swift diesel. Congratulations and Drive safely.
Thanks Harsha, okay let me try answering your questions

1. The i20 is definitely a great buy, for all the features and the modern design and costs less than the GT. I purely went on the driving dynamics, somehow the i20 didn't suit my driving style. The polo came the closest to the Swift. The punto rocks but wanted a little more powerful engine. Polo checked most of the boxes. Trust me, the torque has to be experienced.

2. I think the swift when new, was pretty silent. However now after 180K Kms there is no comparison. The GT is hardly audible inside with the AC on. Just audible enough to let you know that there is a diesel motor under that hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Congratulations!!! The car looks stunning. Red is outstanding.

BTW, I thought petrol was cheaper in Goa so any specific reason for the diesel? I do see that you have a lot of running though and maybe probably the torque?
Thanks a lot Arvind, Diesel was my choice of fuel as I end up doing lot of long trips and tanking up in other states is a huge dent to the wallet.
Also, not a big fan of automatic, if the TSI had the paddle shifters I would surely go in for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Congrats anshurao!

Please share more interior pics

Absolutely agree with a4anurag on all the above points!

New GT's come with older design alloys (Estrada) which are much better looking than the new design (TOSA)!
Thanks Yogi, Interior pics coming shortly :-)

A big thank you to all, I will try and post as much info I can on the GT TDi in the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Absolutely Stunning! Congrats mate. VW has very cleverly styled the new gen GT's. The black theme really elevates the looks of the car, specially in red. Looks bloody red good.

Wishing you miles of safe and niggle free ownership. Enjoy your ride.

The New GT's come with the old design itself. I remember reading somewhere that this was done to give the car a more sporty look. Well i agree on this, the "Tosa" setup looks fresh but definitely is sober when compared to the "Estrada".
Thanks Amarendranath, fingers crossed about the niggle free ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Congratulations, anshurao!
The red and black combo gives the car a stunning look. The photos are excellently taken as well.

Wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring.
Thank you so much Horizon81

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. I thought it was TOSA for all the New Polo's. Didn't know the Estrada was still being given for the GT's.

But if seen on the basis of looks the Estrada will be my choice anyday. It looks brilliant and does give the the car the sporty look.

Anurag.
Yes Anurag, I too like the old wheel design. The wheels on my car are made in Poland.

Last edited by bblost : 29th September 2014 at 23:52. Reason: back to back.
Old 30th September 2014, 09:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post

Invoice Details:

Base Price-----------: 7,10,222.22
VAT 12.50%---------: 0,88,777.78
Ex-Showroom Price: 7,99,000.00
Handling Charges--: 0,02,750.00
Registration---------: 0,72,220.00
Others----------------: 0,03,000.00
Insurance 0 Dep----: 0,23,965.00
On Road Price Goa-: 9,00,935.00

Note:
The essentials kit isn't included in my invoice, the mudflaps and floor mats were out of stock.
Congrats on your latest acquisition anshurao, it is 'G' rea 'T' !!

You really are very lucky to be from a part of the country where a GT TDi cost 9 lks OTR. From where I am, even a Highline 1.5 TDI cost more!!

You have really bought yourself a lovely hatch and this is from nearly 4 months of Ownership experience that I am vouching this.

Regarding the Mudflaps, I strongly advise you to follow up with the VW folks regularly, since I ended up getting mine after nearly 3 months !!
Old 30th September 2014, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the GT club I know you'll be addicted it to the German marvel. Good that you upgraded the tyres. It really improves the handling and the breaking. Drive safe.

Couple of questions to you :
1. How's is the headlights throw? Is it considerably better than the older one ?
2. Did you enquire about the spare steel rim ? I think we all got it as alloy in our 1.6 GTs

Question to others:
Guys, how can me make our 1.6 GT's beige dashboard interiors into black ? Does VW sell it separately or do we get it done outside ?
Old 1st October 2014, 23:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest acquisition anshurao, it is 'G' rea 'T' !!

You really are very lucky to be from a part of the country where a GT TDi cost 9 lks OTR. From where I am, even a Highline 1.5 TDI cost more!!

You have really bought yourself a lovely hatch and this is from nearly 4 months of Ownership experience that I am vouching this.

Regarding the Mudflaps, I strongly advise you to follow up with the VW folks regularly, since I ended up getting mine after nearly 3 months !!
Thank you so much Vik. Yes, I do need to follow up on the mudflaps. Been too busy driving around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Congrats and welcome to the GT club I know you'll be addicted it to the German marvel. Good that you upgraded the tyres. It really improves the handling and the breaking. Drive safe.

Couple of questions to you :
1. How's is the headlights throw? Is it considerably better than the older one ?
[AR] I havent driven the old Polo at night, I find the low beam illumination adequate, however feel the throw of the high beam is short.

2. Did you enquire about the spare steel rim ? I think we all got it as alloy in our 1.6 GTs
[AR] All the new cars have the standard smaller tyre mounted on steel rims. You guys were the lucky ones. Cost cutting by VW, I didn't even get a set of spare bulbs.
Thanks Kanasu, see my replies inline. Have tried to answer to best of my knowledge.
Old 23rd October 2014, 00:09   #23
BHPian

1000Kms Done, heading to Bandipur this weekend. Looking forward to the long drive. So far the car has behaved very well. Fingers crossed on the VW's first long road trip.
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:41   #24
BHPian

Just back from a 1700 Kms road trip, I am really impressed with the highway dynamics of the car, was a welcome upgrade from the swift. Managed to do some good speeds, however I don't think I am ever going to try those ever again, it is totally insane. Car is fun to drive and cruises effortlessly at 100Kmph and overtaking is a breeze. During the drive, I got an average fuel economy of 17.5 Kmpl, pretty happy about that too.

This doesn't mean I like everything about the car, I personally feel the ABS kicks in a tad too early, the brakes surely are a let down.

Overall, happy with the purchase, looking fwd to taking the car on longer trips.
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This doesn't mean I like everything about the car, I personally feel the ABS kicks in a tad too early, the brakes surely are a let down.
Hey anshurao I believe VW had apparently 'Improved' the braking on the 2014 version. Probably, it still not a good enough improvement.

I have always admitted that the biggest flaw in the GT TDi was its stopping power. I felt the GT TSi was way better in this aspect.
Hell, even my old Getz Prime 1.3 GLS "Felt" a lot better during braking.

I did drive the car for couple of days on the stock tires (185mm) until I upgraded them to 205mm width. It is not that there is a world of difference, but surely noticeable enough for me to admit that:

- Braking has improved and I feel the car decelerates with lot less drama.
- The steering feels a tad bit heavy and less servoed than OEM did.

I think you must probably try and upgrade the tires that will improve some bits for sure.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 3rd November 2014 at 15:58.
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:04   #26
BHPian

She looks ravishing in red. A stunner! Congratulations
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:07   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If ABS kick in early, that means your tyres are losing traction early. Its the tyres and not the brakes that you should be complaining about first.

Are you still riding on stock tyres?
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

I think you must probably try and upgrade the tires that will improve some bits for sure.
Hey Vik, I upgraded to 205 55 R15 the day I picked the car. I also feel the car handles rough terrain pretty well, unlike the earlier gen Polos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
She looks ravishing in red. A stunner! Congratulations
Thank You so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If ABS kick in early, that means your tyres are losing traction early. Its the tyres and not the brakes that you should be complaining about first.

Are you still riding on stock tyres?
Am on S Drives, 205-55 R15. I pretty much understand that, I have had the exact same S Drives on my swift and understand how they handle. But may be the dynamics of the tyre-car combo may be causing this to happen. This was at night so cant confirm if there was sand/gravel on the road.
Will try and do a few tests.

Last edited by anshurao : 3rd November 2014 at 16:13.
anshurao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 21:54   #29
BHPian

I've got the GT TDI, done around 1000 km, ABS isnt kicking in early for me.
Old 8th December 2014, 14:42   #30
BHPian

Awesome choice bro! congratulations. I am sure you are going to enjoy every mm you drive. Drive Safe!

Most Viewed