Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 22:08   #31
BHPian

Congrats Vinjosep !

Your generous sprinkle of humor made it an excellent read !! Details captured on your pics is really good, almost T-BHP official review quality :thumbup:
suhas_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 11:25   #32
BHPian

Re: Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
the key inside the FOB can be used to start the car and thats where he mentioned that there is no such provision. Do let us know on the workaround so that i can relay it to him as well. I am surprised with this arrangement though.
I have attached a snap of the relevant page from the manual. The SR had during my many discussions with him, mentioned that a similar mechanism in Grand 10 and others have so far been without any complaints.

Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_2456_red.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Congratulations! Happy mile munching! Very well penned down.

I had booked White Asta CRDi and will be getting it tomorrow most probably.

You speak my mind:

Most of the features are usable and not just for snob value.

A few queries:
Which insurance company did you choose? What is included: Cashless claims, Zero Depreciation, Total Loss Cover?

Any information on Extended Warranty?

4D Mats over the mats provided by dealer?
Congratulations! Have to admit that you have made a wonderful choice

I took the insurance cover from ICICI with all the available add-ons including Zero depreciation.

Cashless is limited to only those with which the insurance firm has a tie-up. Fortunately there is at least one dealer in Bangalore who has a tie-up with ICICI. All insurance companies list this detail in their website. Would suggest confirming the same before buying the policy.

I wished to get the insurance from Tata-AIG and had got a very good offer from them as well. It was just a few hundred more than ICICI. But for that I was getting cover for the smart keys as well. ICICI did not have that as an option (I had visited their branch, and had confirmed the same). But unfortunately, TAIG needed 24 hours just when I had to get the cover note. So had to go online.

Royal Sundaram also had an interesting add-on which others did not have - coverage for loss coz of rodents!

I was told extended warranty from HMIL is available for 9K and covers till the 4th year. Yet to go to the dealer. Have plans to take the car for the first service in the next few days and will opt for the same. Will post the details here for sure.

Yes, the 4D mats are at the moment over the fabric carpets which we got as a freebie. The 4D mats have a velco-hooks sort of profile on the underside. This helps it to be stuck to not just the other mats but also the carpets etc. Its a difficult task to even align it a bit, let alone move. So I'm going with this arrangement for the moment. Water remains in the 4D mats and hence can easily be cleaned dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Congrats Vinjosep !

Your generous sprinkle of humor made it an excellent read !! Details captured on your pics is really good, almost T-BHP official review quality :thumbup:
Thank you. Comparing it with the t-bhp review would be a stretch, no?

Also due credit goes to GTO who did patiently give me valid pointers to improve the content.

As an update, will be crossing 1400 km today evening. That would be 2 weeks to the dot from the date & time of possession.

Last edited by vinjosep : 26th September 2014 at 11:33.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
4D Mats over the mats provided by dealer?
Missed the following part..

The dealer mats that I got was for the old i20. They did not have anything, and by that I mean nothing at all, for the new model. Mud flaps am told will arrive within 3 months. Only two things on offer - speakers & in my case horns.

"What else does this car need Sir?" - was the final comment from the SR. Yes, I kept mum.
Old 26th September 2014, 20:51   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on getting one of the sexiest looking cars in that segment. The I20. Had a very good time reading your thread. Wishing you miles of safe and niggle free ownership.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 09:26   #35
BHPian

Vinjoseph, great narrative - you have a flair for writing.

The Hyundai has really good CRDi engines - people who had the Accent/Viva swear by it. I too havent really found a more responsive/fun to drive engine in my own personal opinion. I had been a little unenthused by the earlier i20 CRDi, but looks like they have really changed things in this car. Looking at your narrative, pics and the features list - it looks like the car has everything that is available in only much more pricier cars!

Here's wishing you tons and tons of fun filled miles!
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 09:33   #36
BHPian

".....that monster has never seen a set of tail lights, ever."

I said, pointing to the new entry in our parking lot. My wife gave me a weary look. You see, I was trying out the same line on her for the few days. Needless to say, my memory was fresh from a rerun of the Fast & Furious 5 a few days earlier. Add to that the high from laying hands on a brand new car and I might be excused of the blasphemy of comparing our i20 to THE charger. (having driven a few chargers, I'm not so smitten. But the one shown in the movie does kindle something on the darker side)

That was until today morning. For the first time we monsters (i20 - in my words, and I - in my wife's), laid our eyes on the tail lights of another Elite i20. A silver VTVT.

Frankly was a tad disappointed since they didn't look as good during the day as at night. Taken in isolation they are fine. But not enough to get the attention of the uninitiated behind you. For e.g., say the Michael Schumacher who is tailgating you in an Indicab in orangish white garb (as in faded) equipped with ABS (Always-Breakneck-Speeds).

I wish HMIL had not linked the tail lamps on the boot just to the parking lights. After all they are not dummy, hence no harm in having an extra set of alerts at the rear during the day. Anything to save our rears - that of the car and mine. I always end up getting that i-know-you-are-gulity-but-then-you-won't-own-up look from my wife & family whenever I return home crying over the marks that our cars get from my many adventures on the road.

Of course, I could always drive during the day with my parking lights on. Wonder how the Euro version behaves, considering it has DRLs.
Old 29th September 2014, 17:56   #37
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed and brilliant review, though it was quite long to read, did not miss a point, especially loved your comments in ()

I am also one of the people who pre-booked Zest and still waiting for delivery, was told it will be in a month at max, but as you mentioned they may be working 3 days a week, so a month may be different to them.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 09:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
....Here's wishing you tons and tons of fun filled miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Thanks for the detailed and brilliant review, though it was quite long to read, did not miss a point, especially loved your comments in () . I am also one of the people who pre-booked Zest and still waiting for delivery, was told it will be in a month at max, but as you mentioned they may be working 3 days a week, so a month may be different to them.
Thank you for the wishes and kind words.

Yes, the engine has started showing its true colours now or I'm allowing it to .

I'm yet to test drive the Zest. Almost a month after the cancellation I did get a call from the dealer. This was the "ASAP" call and he didn't have any clue that I had booked one with them. I had intentionally given the same contact details for both the booking as well as the callback. I find it strange that TML does not have a system in place to offer the dealer a consolidated view about a prospective client; its either that or the dealer being lazy to make use of an existing solution. Either way, am not impressed.

Btw am a huuugee fan of the Tata group. And this was what translated to the booking in the first place.

Yesterday got a call directly from TML for a feedback on the Zest experience. Gave the poor chap an earful. He also was not aware of my cancelled booking, directed me to the dealer. The blame game starts, I guess. I'm not in a mood to run around and hence will take my own sweet time to prod the dealer for a refund. After all I will be getting some 10% interest for the delay isn't it ? good ROI, I say

Last edited by vinjosep : 30th September 2014 at 09:50.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
After all I will be getting some 10% interest for the delay isn't it ? good ROI, I say
Are you sure you will be getting the interest on the booking amount, as I have not heard about it so far, also some of the other tbhpians faced issue in getting the refund processed and had to contact customerservice of TML, so I feel it is better to followup and get your money back.
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 11:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Are you sure you will be getting the interest on the booking amount, as I have not heard about it so far, also some of the other tbhpians faced issue in getting the refund processed and had to contact customerservice of TML, so I feel it is better to followup and get your money back.
Truth be told am not sure if I will even get the money back, let alone the interest.

However right now I do not wish to spoil my days by bickering with the excellent-interconnected TML sales teams. Its not that the booking amount is trivial, its just that I'm savoring the new car experience. No way I'm going to lose temper now.

2 weeks from now is when I will tighten my belt and set out behind this money. Planning to do a top-down approach if the initial results are bad.

Till then, I have zest only for Elitement!
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 15:31   #41
BHPian

Nice write-up and congrats for your eli-cooper!

I have also owned an i20 at some point in time, the 1st gen... I TD both the petrol and diesel variants and found the diesels turbo lag annoying. Until it reached 2250 rpms the turbo goes through this jet lag phenomenon and at 3000 it seemed to run out of breath. Not sure about this new gen though... Post that I had a Figo where the turbo kicked in at 1750 rpms and felt better to drive barring the periods with the 2nd gear just after the numerous speed breakers (axle destroyers!) we have in Bangalore for the tar-less roads...

Wanted your throughts on the turbo range, body roll and the reason for buying a diesel car when the world is moving towards petrol with the gap narrowing by the minute. Why do the OEMs still feel the diesel car should be priced over a lac more than the petrol siblings...

Currently, I own a Dzire petrol and found the driving dynamics tuned for enthusiasts. My only grouse is the engine - I would have loved the M16A in this car and I would have reached self-actualisation as per Maslow!
Old 1st October 2014, 17:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post

I have also owned an i20 at some point in time, the 1st gen... I TD both the petrol and diesel variants and found the diesels turbo lag annoying. Until it reached 2250 rpms the turbo goes through this jet lag phenomenon and at 3000 it seemed to run out of breath. Not sure about this new gen though... Post that I had a Figo where the turbo kicked in at 1750 rpms and felt better to drive barring the periods with the 2nd gear just after the numerous speed breakers (axle destroyers!) we have in Bangalore for the tar-less roads...

Wanted your throughts on the turbo range, body roll and the reason for buying a diesel car when the world is moving towards petrol with the gap narrowing by the minute. Why do the OEMs still feel the diesel car should be priced over a lac more than the petrol siblings...

Currently, I own a Dzire petrol and found the driving dynamics tuned for enthusiasts. My only grouse is the engine - I would have loved the M16A in this car and I would have reached self-actualisation as per Maslow!
In i20 diesel, turbo kicks in at 1800 RPM. Maybe you noticed it wrong or the car you drove had issues with the turbo
Old 1st October 2014, 17:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you.

Turbo lag is very minimal and not an irritant at all. I find it a breeze to drive in the city and as well as on the highways.

S2!!! has summed it up very well here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3521700

Body roll is definitely evident on bad roads at low speeds. If it's just uneven and no big potholes, then driving at ~30km/h swallows the imperfections with ease, no body roll. Feels well planted.

New gen diesel cars, IMO are far less forgiving when it comes to fuel economy and driving styles. You need not have a light right foot to get the best fuel efficiency. Also ample torque available to add a bit of fun-quotient. There are practically very few petrol engines out there which makes a good package especially in the hatchbacks. If you get a good engine, you lose on the fuel etc. Yes, the price difference of 1.3 lakhs over petrol is high and doesn't make much sense. Among other factors my fuel bills are reimbursed, so not really a big brainer for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In i20 diesel, turbo kicks in at 1800 RPM. Maybe you noticed it wrong or the car you drove had issues with the turbo
Righly said. The turbo feels as if it kicks in at around 1750 rpm.

Last edited by vinjosep : 1st October 2014 at 17:54.
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thank you.

Turbo lag is very minimal and not an irritant at all. I find it a breeze to drive in the city and as well as on the highways.

S2!!! has summed it up very well here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3521700

Body roll is definitely evident on bad roads at low speeds. If it's just uneven and no big potholes, then driving at ~30km/h swallows the imperfections with ease, no body roll. Feels well planted.

New gen diesel cars, IMO are far less forgiving when it comes to fuel economy and driving styles. You need not have a light right foot to get the best fuel efficiency. Also ample torque available to add a bit of fun-quotient. There are practically very few petrol engines out there which makes a good package especially in the hatchbacks. If you get a good engine, you lose on the fuel etc. Yes, the price difference of 1.3 lakhs over petrol is high and doesn't make much sense. Among other factors my fuel bills are reimbursed, so not really a big brainer for me

Righly said. The turbo feels as if it kicks in at around 1750 rpm.
I decided on the Petrol i20 in 2010 after driving the TD diesel car where I noticed the significant delay in turbo. The petrol was refined and was the only worthwhile option for me (new swift was rumoured then). Maybe that was not the right example of the diesel offspring... The other reason for the petrol was my company pays the fuel bills and wanted to save on upfront cost... Didnt quite get your logic if your company sponsors your fuel bill!
Old 8th October 2014, 11:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I decided on the Petrol i20 in 2010 after driving the TD diesel car where I noticed the significant delay in turbo. The petrol was refined and was the only worthwhile option for me (new swift was rumoured then). Maybe that was not the right example of the diesel offspring... The other reason for the petrol was my company pays the fuel bills and wanted to save on upfront cost... Didnt quite get your logic if your company sponsors your fuel bill!
I might not be able to sincerely express the thought process and logic which is why I wrote: " sorry can’t elaborate more on this without disclosing a few personal & professional details".

But let me try.

I wanted a hatchback which had ample power/ torque on-demand. I also wanted one which met our family's requirement. And the car should be frugal with fuel (need not be the best, but should not be a guzzler either; didn't want our trips to be from one bunk to another). Any car which fulfilled these would come home, provided it's on-road price in Bangalore was 9 lakhs - give or take 50K.

Whatever the fuel was, it didn't pinch the pocket much was what i was trying to convey with the fuel reimbursement remark. However I could not find a petrol hatchback that met above. Hence Elite i20 Diesel it was.

The petrol Elite sucks w.r.t my requirement. Its really good and refined for city driving, but severely lacks punch on the highways. I did test drive one after I had booked the diesel variant, just to confirm that I had not overlooked the obvious. Also am not so sure about the 1.2 litre engine being frugal based on the feedback I have come across within my circle. So went with a costlier choice. No regrets so far.

Coming to the turbo lag, shift above 2300+ rpm and you will be rewarded with a strong pull with near zero lag.

Yes the diesel variant does suffer from the lag if you shift at less than 2000 rpm. However it all depends on your driving style as to whether you would notice it. I space my gear shifts with half a second before I use the accelerator and shift just after 2000rpm. Works fine for me. I agree, its not the best. But sure is better than many others out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ODO now stands at 2800+ km after 26 days.

First service at 1500km was more of a formality. Took all of 40 mins, including the job card and other formalities. Was told that it's just a general check and nothing more to it. Cost me 0 INR. I opted out of the complimentary water wash, scratches etc. Unlike some others I did not have to get the key fobs reprogrammed. So I guess our car was not part of the update, yet.

Drove straight to the nearest 3M car care and got the under-body coated along with a foam body wash. Cost was around 3800+400 odd INR. There is a marked improvement in the already good NVH levels after the coat. Added bonus was met mod Vid6639.

Right next was a 1000km plus family outing, both the cars in tandem. Liva had no troubles keeping up with the i20 without compromising on the fuel efficiency.

Impressions/ observations (additional):

- Comfortable, pleasant city & highway road manners. Planted feel at triple digits on the highways (6th gear at the century mark shows ~2000rpm).
- Refined engine. A hoot to drive on open roads as well as on not-so-open ones.
- NVH is superb. Even without the audio system on, all we could hear was the faint non-irritating drone of the engine. With the music playing, we were disconnected from the outside world. If you have snoring passengers along with, well..
- Fuel efficiency is currently around 17kmpl on the highways with 100% AC. This was with some spirited as well as laid back driving. Tyre pressure at 33.5PSI all around (recommended is 33 with rear passengers).
- Minor undulations on the road were handled better when driven over at 40km/hr.
- Pronounced body roll while tackling huge craters in single digit speeds. Liva fared far better in such terrains.
- Headlamps throw is good for the job. High beams work well when needed. Low beams though felt as if it the reach could have been better (HL level at max).
- Front & rear wipers do a good job.
- Bluetooth telephony works only when the songs are playing (rather the HU is on). Can't have only the bluetooth on. Way out is to set the volume for the songs at zero or thereabouts.
- Volume control for the HU & bluetooth are independent, which is helpful.
- Can't scroll through the contacts list/ call history using the steering wheel controls. Have to use the HU controls. Not good.
- The back light illumination of the Instrument Control panel has a day as well as night setting. This comes into effect automatically. I suspect the sensor on the dashboard center, next to the windshield, plays the deciding factor here. So around late dawn and early dusk the IC light changes brightness automatically (brightens/ dims as the case may be).
- Cabin cools fast with the rear a/c vent.
- Better luggage capacity than the Liva. The outgoing variant has a better capacity (did a one-to-one compario. Sorry no fotos).
- IVRM is not effective more coz of the slanting roof-line. Depending on how you set the mirror, can either see the road behind you with a portion of the roof top OR just the portion immediately to the rear of the car - not both.
- Reverse park camera works well during the day. Adaptive camera along with the sensors and OVRMs make parking an easy & informed task.
- Reverse camera is not of much use in the dark without the parking lights. The single reverse light on the RHS is insufficient for the job. However with the parking lights on, the lights above the number plates come into play and the image on the IVRM is clear. I'm sure owners of variants without the rear camera would find it a herculean task to reverse in the dark with the single reverse light not of much help.
- Excellent brakes. However the pedal travel needs some time to get used to.

Last edited by vinjosep : 8th October 2014 at 11:19. Reason: brakes :)
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks