Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2015, 23:09   #91
BHPian

Re: Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi

Handling & ride quality:

The car is such a breeze to drive in the city. On the highways, the steering feels neutral and definitely does not induce nervousness. The clutch is light; the gears are short, slick and slot into the gates with an audible click. The gear knob is easy on the palm and feels meaty to hold on to.

Yes, there is a certain turbo lag in the lower gears (especially 2nd). However you wouldn't mind it if your are not in too much of a hurry.

Only fly in the ointment is the return-back-to-centre action of the steering. This makes it necessary to have a grip on the steering at all times unless you are driving in a straight line; no single handed circuses on sharp ghat sections (which I found out the hard scary way).

Body-roll is low, though noticeably higher than that of Liva.

NVH still remains excellent and no rattles at all.

Fuel efficiency:

Consistent 17-18 kmpl within the city. Same range on highways with nearly 80-100% occupancy and 100% ACC. Tyre pressures - 33 pound all around.

On the last long trip, seemed that the mileage is better when driven in the 5th gear (70-80kmph speed). Didn't get a chance to validate this tough, coz I drove quite hard after that before I could refill.

Others:
  • GC is more than adequate for Bangalore roads even with the car filled to the brim! That's a huge compliment, in case you don't know our monstrous speed breakers.
  • Based on the comments, tail lamps remain the favorite feature for those setting their eyes on the car for the first time.
  • The gear shift indicator acts funny at times. At 100+ kmph, for a brief second it wanted me to down shift to the 4th gear... on a perfect level straight road..!
  • The instrument cluster and ambient lights dim at dusk and vice versa for dawn. Adds to the premium feel.
  • Interior plastics, especially the one in the boot, though aesthetically impressive is not that resistant to scratches.
  • Phone with Bluetooth can be used even if the HU is off . Only you need to pair the phone with the HU switched on (after the car is on); then switch off the HU and still the bluetooth works when u need it.
  • Only one phone can be used with the Bluetooth at a time though 5 can be paired. I would prefer to have all connected at the same time. wishful thinking, huh?
  • I could not find the switch that controlled the boot lamp, yet.
  • Good boot space with nifty hooks; well though out design.

Thats all for now.
Old 27th April 2015, 09:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Body-roll is low, though noticeably higher than that of Liva.

NVH still remains excellent and no rattles at all.

I couldn't agree more with you vinjosep on the Body-roll aspect.

In fact, I recently tried a colleague's Elite CRDi and felt the body roll was way better than my previous car "Getz Prime", but still no where close GT TDi. However, I can vouch that the steering feel has significantly improved over the I-Gen I20, which my bro has.

Please find my thoughts in bold below:

Quote:

Others:
  • GC is more than adequate for Bangalore roads even with the car filled to the brim! That's a huge compliment, in case you don't know our monstrous speed breakers.
    Yes, it was noticeably better on I-gen itself, but Elite is just right.
  • Based on the comments, tail lamps remain the favorite feature for those setting their eyes on the car for the first time.
    You Bet!! Tail lamp just does not look like any other hatch on Indian soil right now. Just Brilliant.
  • The instrument cluster and ambient lights dim at dusk and vice versa for dawn. Adds to the premium feel.
    Woah, I did not have any clue about that feature. Really classy...
  • Phone with Bluetooth can be used even if the HU is off .
    This is awesome. Polo has this feature and just marvelous for Hyundai to adopt this.
  • I could not find the switch that controlled the boot lamp, yet.
    The boot light is one feature that I miss on my GT. If I am right, the Boot light does not have a manual switch. It is directly connected to the boot door open/close feature.

How about a weekend photo shoot of the Elite & GT sometime ? Until then, drive safe and keep revving.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 15:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I couldn't agree more with you vinjosep on the Body-roll aspect.

In fact, I recently tried a colleague's Elite CRDi and felt the body roll was way better than my previous car "Getz Prime", but still no where close GT TDi. However, I can vouch that the steering feel has significantly improved over the I-Gen I20, which my bro has.

Please find my thoughts in bold below: [/list]How about a weekend photo shoot of the Elite & GT sometime ? Until then, drive safe and keep revving.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

First the photoshoot.
Am game, but we will have to wait for a few weeks. Have planned some "important" drives ::wink::

Boot lamp: I could not find the switch/ combo anywhere on the boot lid or any of the contact areas. However I did manage to switch it off while filling up the trunk. Maybe I wasn't looking properly, will give it a closer look this weekend.
Old 27th April 2015, 21:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
The ACC air filter is sort of a mesh which is in the glove-box. It can be taken out and cleaned at wish. However I believe its not a pollen filter. I will take a snap and add it here.
Hi Vinjosep,

Awaiting the pictures, please also tell how to take out the ACC air filter, plagued with a stench coming from the AC.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 3rd May 2015, 22:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi Vinjosep,

Awaiting the pictures, please also tell how to take out the ACC air filter, plagued with a stench coming from the AC.

Regards
Shailesh
Sorry mate, owing to a hectic schedule didn't get around to taking the snaps so far. Got 'em this weekend; hope this helps.

1. The area behind the glove-box where the A/C air filter is installed. The upper portion of glove-box is flexible. Press both of the upper sides inwards to pop out as shown.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0843.jpg

2. A close-up of the chamber in which you have the filter.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0846.jpg

3. The closeup of the latch which locks the filter in place. The LH side has a pinch-to-open mechanism.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0845.jpg

4. The dirty ACC air filter in my car after 5000 odd kms. Do note that all the components have the top marked as "UP" to help you fix them back without any hassles.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0847.jpg

5. The relevant extract from the user's manual.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0850.jpg

6. The air filter after I cleaned it (vacum cleaned followed by a car-shampoo wash and then dried in the sun). Please ignore the wavy patterns on the filter , which are due to the reflection from the surface beneath.
Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi-img_0852.jpg

Last edited by vinjosep : 3rd May 2015 at 22:59.
vinjosep is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:12   #96
BHPian

Hi @vinjosep,

Did you buy your car from Trident Hyundai on Hosur Road? I have booked mine from there - i20 Asta CRDI (Stardust or say Grey !). Wanted to know where did you complete PDI for your car. My SR says that the stockyard is some 40 kms from showroom and that I can have the PDI once it comes to showroom before registration.

Was it the same case with you ?
Old 8th August 2015, 16:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupams View Post
Hi @vinjosep,

Did you buy your car from Trident Hyundai on Hosur Road? I have booked mine from there - i20 Asta CRDI (Stardust or say Grey !). Wanted to know where did you complete PDI for your car. My SR says that the stockyard is some 40 kms from showroom and that I can have the PDI once it comes to showroom before registration.

Was it the same case with you ?
Hi Anupams,

Congrats on the booking and my sincere apologies for a delayed response. Have been travelling for the past few weeks and not been visiting here so often...

Yes, I did book the car on the Hosur road - Kodlugate branch. My SR was Rajesh, a gem of a person to interact with. I was also told about the yard being some 50km away, so I finally did a PDI once the car came up for delivery/ registration. Didn't have a cause to complain since it was before the registration process, but in my case the SR was anyways ready to take me to the yard if I wished.

-------------------------------------------------------

As an update:

The car underwent the 20K service sometime end of June. The bill came to 6K. Will add the breakup details soon.

At the moment the car has just around 22K km on the ODO, though I managed to clock quite a few thousand air miles in the last 2 months (including an awesome 2K trip in a Qashqai on German, Czech & Swiss roads ). Since another slew of trips abroad is planned, won't be adding much kms to the Elite at home. The Elite didn't feel like a cheap car when I drove it after the Qashqai; I was all smiles. Yes, Qashqai was better, but then it costs more as well.

Met with a few accidents, all under speeds of 15km/hr in B'lore. "No surprises there, it was only a matter of time" - said my better-half during one of her bitter moods. Am not sure if she meant me or the traffic.....hmmm. One of incidents made up for all others, so had to get the car repaired. I do have the photos and stuff, but since this is the first weekend in the last 2 months that I get to park my rear at home, I will need time to add them to complete the plot.

Short version: front bumper, LHS wheel cladding, LHS headlamp replaced, rear RHS and front bumper painted. All under warranty. Damage to the pocket was <2000 INR, thanks to the zero dep. Took a week for the whole work.

The roof-NVH takes a beating during heavy rains. The roof feels like a tin sheet (for lack of a better simile) while the rain gods make merry.No major complaints except for the niggling thought about the headlamps. After the above mentioned repair, they are again cross-eyed.

Fuel efficiency has been between 15-19kmpl so far in the city. On highways consistently above 17kmpl (high speeds).

Last edited by vinjosep : 8th August 2015 at 16:55.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 16:08   #98
BHPian

And the car has crossed 40K on the ODO as well as the related paid service. The bill came close to 13K INR of which some 2K odd was for the front wiper blades.

Hope to put up further details in the coming days. So far, am happy with the decision to get this car
Old 19th August 2016, 12:22   #99
BHPian

2k for the wiper blades? Seems a lot. Popular Hyundai quoted about 750for changing them in mine. But got better Bosch Wipers from a Bosch auto spare shop in Kochi for around 400rs and fitted them myself.

Also, can you post the details of work done for the service, mine is coming up soon.

How are your tires doing, have you changed them already, or how much more life do they have?

Last edited by ps_abhijith : 19th August 2016 at 12:23.
Old 28th January 2017, 00:53   #100
BHPian

So have crossed the 50K mark couple of weeks back and the related service was done as well. Bill came to a little under 6K INR.

Now I owe to post a detailed experience report here, I guess.
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 19:36   #101
BHPian

Thanks to a crazy office schedule, not able to keep a proper log here.

The 60K service was done today. Bill was 9180 INR; diesel filter being the biggest cost (~2030), the labour came to 3900 INR.

Had changed the tires when ODO was at 50K, had chosen Yoko Earth1. The set of four costed ~24K. After almost 10K kms on these, seem to be better than the stock Appollo Alanac 4G in terms of road noise & comfort.

The front suspension was making some weird noises when the car was at 50K kms. Had to take a strong stand to convince the SA to agree for a replacement of the stabiliser/ link rods under warranty (this was during the 50K service). Each of these costs around 2K INR, AFAIK. These have made the ride more supple & noise-free until today (Bangalore roads have taken a turn for the worse during the last 10K kms, just so that we can rule out that contributing to this +ve change).

Recently did a quick Bangalore-Dharwad round trip. The car felt awesome on the excellent roads. The mileage on this trip was a neat 20+kmpl. Avg speed was 78km/h; top speed around 120, which is the comfortable cruising speed in the 6th gear. Cold tyre pressure was 33 PSI all around (thanks to a tyre pressure sensor set from Rogertmotors, this model is now discontinued).

Have replaced the stock cabin air filter (plastic mesh) to a pollen air filter (paper-based) that is now standard with the new versions.

The only grouse is with the poor lumbar support the seats have. Having a lower back pain nowadays and driving the car is not helping much. So for the moment using a lumbar belt while driving (the fix costed just 650 INR).

Thankfully no rattles so far. The plastics have also not aged much.

Rats had gnawed away the wires for the temperature sensor. Did a DIY after removing the front bumper (the sensor is placed in front of the radiator towards the lower middle section). Now the ambient temperature is back in the display (MID). Earlier it was just flashing "_ _".

Last edited by vinjosep : 8th September 2017 at 19:55.
Old 21st June 2019, 16:38   #102
BHPian

@Mods:

Please close the thread. The car was sold last year with the ODO just a tad above 61k KMS.

It was running absolutely fine and the feedback from the current owner (as on today) is on the same lines.

Thanks.

Most Viewed