Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 19:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update

Yep and i should stop being lazy and get it done myself , opening the car is not a problem but once you crank the engine it shuts down in about 2-3 seconds owing to code mismatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post

Thanks mate.

I have to get the other key fob fixed as soon as possible, if in any circumstance I loose the existing one or it stops functioning, I will get stranded. Only way out then will be, HASS will have to carry the G-Scan onsite to activate the spare fob.

Yes that's indeed 3M in East of Kailash.
Old 16th October 2014, 21:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations on the new car. Enjoyed reading through the review. Why don't you upgrade the OE headlights?
Quote:

Thanks buddy.

I am very skeptical about any sort of upgrades, even if its as small as an OE Headlight upgrade. I feel these days the cars are build to perform only in stock conditions. The electronics, wires etc. are optimized in such a way to control the cost, that they are just about sufficient enough to run the stock stuff.

I also say this, as I see so many cars on fire these days and on most occasions the fires are caused due electrical short circuits, a dear friend had his Captiva on fire a few days back.

Now having said that, with all due respect to the DIY Guru's, above is just IMHO.
What I meant was not to fiddle with all the electrical, electronics or wires, but only change the bulbs. To do that you don't need to touch any wires.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 21:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
What I meant was not to fiddle with all the electrical, electronics or wires, but only change the bulbs. To do that you don't need to touch any wires.
True, but the current still reaches an OE Headlight assembly via existing wires which are installed by keeping in mind existing OE Bulb properties, in addition fitment of any kind of a relay would mean fiddling with the existing wiring. Correct?

I may not be making much sense, I am an complete novice on this so please don't

Last edited by Bubby : 16th October 2014 at 21:54.
Old 17th October 2014, 08:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Good review there. Since you owned a Palio I read the driving characteristics of i20 closely in your review. I own a Getz, and in my test drive of i20 I found myself wanting to wrap up the drive, get in my own car and drive away. I'm not insulting the i20 in anyway, as a owner of Hyundai I believe they make terrific value cars which are reliable in every way (tiny niggles apart mine has been a joy for 6 years). They also strike the best balance between fuel efficiency & safety/convenience.

I'm sure you aren't new to the 'steering' complaints of i20 and that's where I had issues as well. Hatches of yore like Getz, Palio etc had hydraulic steering, i.e a pressurised fluid working with the engine in reducing effort when turning the steering. i20 and almost 99% of new cars have a separate motor assisted steering which is lighter, more efficient and effortless, but it simply doesn't have the fluid-movement of the HPS. It also gives out less feedback of the terrain to the steering. That brings me to the question, after driving 6-figures in a Palio did you notice the difference at all? Or like you said does it take a few hundred km's to get used to the car? Since EPS has variable assist I found that steering suddenly changes when modulating speed which I found a bit confusing.

Anyway this is your ownership review so I really don't want to sound like poking with unnecessary technical terms. A car like i20 is beyond that when it comes to seating 4 people. Its spacious, comfortable and the soft suspension is just right for city traffic. As a Hyundai owner the only advice I can give is to keep extending the warranty as i20 has a lot of electronics.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 11:40   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Car, and Wish you many miles of happy ownership.
Red color looks awesome,, nice and crisp review as well.
An FE of 18+ in city is great,,

The default lamp's in most cars are totally in-adequate, - a Philips Harness with Hella 130/90 Bulb upgrade, should resolve your problem, I had the same in myGetz for years, and never had lighting issues.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 15:32   #21
BHPian

Congrats. The car looks smashing in that color, sure is a head turner.

As others mentioned, i felt the rear to be a bit claustrophibic. would you mind posting some pics of the rear bench please?
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 15:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
That brings me to the question, after driving 6-figures in a Palio did you notice the difference at all? Or like you said does it take a few hundred km's to get used to the car? Since EPS has variable assist I found that steering suddenly changes when modulating speed which I found a bit confusing.

As a Hyundai owner the only advice I can give is to keep extending the warranty as i20 has a lot of electronics.
There is absolutely no comparison between the Hydraulic and EPS units, but having said that this particular EPS does weigh up well, only if correct PSIs are fed in the rubber. As I mentioned in my review, in the first initial week I drove with 43 PSI and that was an horrific experience. May be the TD vehicle that you drove also had incorrect PSIs.

At the time of delivery I wasn't offered any extended warranty as there was none on offer and since then I haven't followed up with my dealership. Thanks for the suggestion, I will do it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Congrats. The car looks smashing in that color, sure is a head turner.

As others mentioned, i felt the rear to be a bit claustrophibic. would you mind posting some pics of the rear bench please?
Thanks mate.

The rear bench in my case is usually used by my 5 year old son (he has a car seat in place) and occasionally by my parents. I haven't heard of any such complaints from any of them.

Will post a picture soon.
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 16:01   #23
BHPian

The color and rim combination looks superb! In fact, in that guise, your car reminds me a little of the Hyundai Veloster Turbo..

Lovely car, congratulations on the purchase
Stiggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:17   #24
BHPian

I took delivery of my Elite as soon as it was launched, so at that point of time Extended Warranty wasn't offered, as the program was not introduced for Elite. Now, I see a lot of owners on TBHP and elsewhere have already bought the Extended Warranty.

I called up my dealership today to check on the same, they stated back that Hyundai has yet to launch an Extended Warranty program for Elite.

Am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
The color and rim combination looks superb! In fact, in that guise, your car reminds me a little of the Hyundai Veloster Turbo..

Lovely car, congratulations on the purchase
Thanks mate.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Polo or Elite…… Elite or Polo......
Ah well. As a happy Polo owner who's also driven Hyundai cars (Santro and Grand i10, both belonging to the wifey), all I can say is: You will never know what you are missing.

Congratulations on your purchase, and here is wishing you thousands of "passionate" miles.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my Elite as soon as it was launched, so at that point of time Extended Warranty wasn't offered, as the program was not introduced for Elite. Now, I see a lot of owners on TBHP and elsewhere have already bought the Extended Warranty.

I called up my dealership today to check on the same, they stated back that Hyundai has yet to launch an Extended Warranty program for Elite.

Am I missing something here?
The extended warranty is indeed available. It was informed by my SE at Koncept Hyundai, Green Park when i took delivery of my i20 on Dhanteras.

You may check with your dealer again or call up Hyundai directly.

By the way your car looks stunning. Congrats. Keep it coming.
ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:51   #27
BHPian

Congrats on the new arrival and thank you for the very balanced review of what is truly deserved of the Elite i20. As you rightly said, once you get used to the car, you really don't face any issues as is. City driving is a breeze and on highways within legal speed limits, it behaves quite well, quite contrary to what is projected in TBHP. After all, we are not rally drivers, are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Ah well. As a happy Polo owner who's also driven Hyundai cars (Santro and Grand i10, both belonging to the wifey), all I can say is: You will never know what you are missing.

Congratulations on your purchase, and here is wishing you thousands of "passionate" miles.
I am quite sure, given his usage, that the only things that he would miss are his feeling of living with a Time bomb (as rightly said by his wife) and his refund amount from VW (I am saying this as a Happy owner of a 4 yr old i20 who has also driven Polos n Ventos of the extended family)

Last edited by racer_ash : 29th October 2014 at 16:54. Reason: typo
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I am saying this as a Happy owner of a 4 yr old i20
You seem to have taken my comment quite personally. But if you will read the review carefully, you will see that the OP himself admits that he enjoyed the TD of the Polo a lot, and that he is having to "adjust" to the i20. In fact, any unbiased person would admit that the Polo is in a different league from the i20 when it comes to the overall FTD factor.

Just like you feel that the highway behaviour of the i20 is wrongly projected on Team BHP, it is my opinion that the low reliability of VW cars is grossly exaggerated. In this regard, VW, Fiat, and to some extent Ford too, are the favorite whipping boys here. Maybe it is because our expectations of ASS and maintenance costs have been spoilt by MS and Hyundai.

But at the end of the day, if your car is more than just a way of getting from point A to point B to you, a car like the Polo/Punto/Figo is going to make you happier. I have driven the wifey's Grand i10 a fair bit, and I swear the steering and gearbox make me cringe. I wouldn't drive it faster than 80-90 kmph if you put a gun to my head.

Don't you agree?

PS: Phew that was one completely OT post...
Old 31st October 2014, 16:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post

Thanks mate.

Elite vs Polo, well both have there fair share of hits and misses, if I wouldn't had been moving from Fiat Palio MJD, I would have definitely gone for VW Polo.

After what I saw and experienced while owning Fiat, I was sure that I will not make the same mistake again. There were numerous occasions in my ownership, where I was left stranded on the road and the car had to be towed away, one fine morning engine conked off (total damage 1.5L to pocket), car waiting for weeks at FASS for arrival of spare parts. There were numerous such instances.

So this time around, at the time of purchase, I wanted to use my head (Elite) instead of heart (Polo).

In my last purchase, I chose heart (Palio) over head (Swift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Congrats on the new arrival and thank you for the very balanced review of what is truly deserved of the Elite i20. As you rightly said, once you get used to the car, you really don't face any issues as is. City driving is a breeze and on highways within legal speed limits, it behaves quite well, quite contrary to what is projected in TBHP. After all, we are not rally drivers, are we?
Thanks buddy.

That's a correct sentiment, cars are not made to order or are tailored as per user requirements.

Its a ready-made market, buy that suits and fits you the most.

Car companies spend billions on R&D, Product Development followed by intensive testing and we as users conclude fate of a new launch after 10mins of a test drive. Not Reasonable IMHO.

Cheers.
Bubby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. You're lucky to have got the car within 2 weeks of booking. I have booked the same model (Asta CRDI) on 15th October and been told that the delivery will be made in 45-60 days!

Like you, my daily running is also pretty high, so diesel was the only option. Please keep updating your thread, so we can observe each other's ownership experience.

Quote:
That's a correct sentiment, cars are not made to order or are tailored as per user requirements.

Its a ready-made market, buy that suits and fits you the most.

Car companies spend billions on R&D, Product Development followed by intensive testing and we as users conclude fate of a new launch after 10mins of a test drive. Not Reasonable IMHO.
Very very well said. I had booked a Verna CRDI in 2008, totally blown by the engine performance - and despite people's claims that its a lousy handler. Over a period of 6 years and (just short of) 1 lakh kms the car has proven its worth in gold. The ride and handling balance is exemplary to date, and I'm sure some of the "sharper" handlers wouldn't have maintained the same consistency. You could say my booking the i20 Diesel is a tribute to my earlier car's reliability and Hyundai's delightful diesels.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th December 2014 at 06:02. Reason: Corrected typo to "Over a period of 6 years" instead of "6 lakhs" :)
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks