Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2014, 15:55   #16
BHPian

re: A love affair: Fiat Punto Evo 1.3L MJD. EDIT - sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations on the car rav11stars. What an honest review of the car!

I don't see Zest in the list of probables. Any reasons for omitting out the Zest?
Zest was still under wraps when I was shopping To be honest, we should look at a car as a car, but then I do not think I would've considered it even if it was available.
These cars with a small boot attached do not impress me. All in all, I wanted a car like no other, a looker with a respectable engine, decent performance. Hope the Punto does not disappoint me.
Old 17th December 2014, 16:39   #17
BHPian

One nice car!!!. I test drove this 75 hp recently and i'd say there is no such lag i felt. Its super to drive around in city and the mid range is also good, didn't got opportunity to test the top end though.

I did this TD straight away from TSI TD. To me its EVO!. PERIOD. I tried some high speed maneuver on some undulated surface, I felt the machine is under my control, and on TSI it was vice versa :-). Mainly the TSI's steering is the spoilsport.

If i were to buy a car now, i will head straight to Fiat showroom. Envy you (take this with pride).

What was that Engine compression related issue on ghats? Did you mentioned it to service center? what's their feedback?
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 17:51   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your choice of car and was delighted to read your initial experience with the Italian beauty.

Having owned a Punto for close to 4yrs and clocked 65k kms on it, I can vouch for this car. Its an absolutely fun car to drive and definitely build like a tank. Have done multiple trips in the range of 1000kms+ and everytime me & my family were all smiles.

Wish you many more happy miles on your Red Hot Beauty.
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 18:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Congrats rav11stars for your latest acquisition! You have really gotten a tank
I must say Punto in red looks absolute smashing. As mentioned earlier, by looking at some of your snaps I was wondering when did Fiat introduced new color I am glad to know that you didn't felt any turbo lag but I would like to know how did Punto fare when it comes to overtaking also what is the average you are getting now.

Anyways congrats once again, I wish you a happy and safe motoring.
I was fiddling around with the colour profiles on my DSLR for some portraits before the photoshoot; so the orange shade. The stills were so good to ignore; so I included them and went in for another shoot for the main pics.
A TIP : If you're going to shoot tricky colours like red, I'd suggest that after post-processing you pull the pic onto a browser. Once it opens you'll get to know how it looks to the end-user. The snaps from the second shoot had a tint of maroon in the browser whereas they looked ok in photoshop. I then used the "export to web" feature wherein the colour profile was selected as "sRGB". Then they showed up nice in the browser as well.

I've done two long trips till now : One was a 1100km one-way trip with four people on board on highways. I had to down-shift occasionally when overtaking. When driving at a nice pace, I was able to overtake in 5th gear. This has considerably improved after the first service. The engine is more quieter and responsive now.
A proud moment was when I went for the first service : This was the only Evo for service on that day and after parking I got into a chat with other owners. A guy asked if it's a petrol. On learning that it's the diesel he said "you came in and were reversing the car and it's so silent. We thought it's a petrol"
In city traffic with 3-4 people aboard, I can just amble along in 2nd or 3rd gear. I'm not exaggerating if I say that I had to look at the console to see what the RPM is when shifting gears. It is indeed quiet.
Although I've not seriously calculated the average, I'm getting 17-18kmpl in city and 19-21kmpl on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
One nice car!!!. I test drove this 75 hp recently and i'd say there is no such lag i felt. Its super to drive around in city and the mid range is also good, didn't got opportunity to test the top end though.

I did this TD straight away from TSI TD. To me its EVO!. PERIOD. I tried some high speed maneuver on some undulated surface, I felt the machine is under my control, and on TSI it was vice versa :-). Mainly the TSI's steering is the spoilsport.

If i were to buy a car now, i will head straight to Fiat showroom. Envy you (take this with pride).

What was that Engine compression related issue on ghats? Did you mentioned it to service center? what's their feedback?
It's impressive that you found the Punto to be a better drive. I still find the engine jargon in VW confusing. I've TDed the 1.5L Polo as well and it's a rocket.
I'm suspecting it to be the engine compression after reading about it in forums online. Last weekend I've been to Mumbai and it's only when coming back, I felt the sluggishness again. Again it's the ghats; this time it's Lonavala. I stopped over, took a breather and started again. It's back to normal again.
As foolish as it may sound, does this have anything to do with the incline and something(engine oil?) not being available to the engine due to the incline? I'll take it to the service center for this and will get back.

Last edited by rav11stars : 17th December 2014 at 18:55. Reason: added average details
rav11stars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 11:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations rav11stars for stunning Punto Evo! The review is very detailed and the pictures are excellent.
One word of caution though regarding the first picture, be very careful with your vehicle on grasslands specially during the winter as the dry grass can easily catch fire in contact with the exhausts.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Congrats rav11starts. Great narrative and great pictures to boot!

I loved reading each word and admiring the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

You have truly summed up the beauty and nuances a Fiat car offers. Once there. You ain't coming back
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car! The OEM alloy wheel design is the best on any car and I find them better looking than on the 90hp model. "Engine compression low" warning sounds like a serious issue?
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations rav11starts on this beauty

Did you get a chance to drive the 90HP EVO? Apart from gun metal alloys and 2nd Gear tuning, is there anything else which made you chose 75HP version?

On the alignment issue, even the left caster adjustment is not up to the mark. I would suggest you get the alignment done outside and check the readings in detail before leaving.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 13:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Rav11stars,

Heartiest congratulations on bringing home the Italian beauty. IMHO, I still feel the older Punto is more better looking (exterior wise) than the Evo with lesser chrome, but the Evo has a marked improved in the interiors although the plastic quality still suffers. Frankly I didn't feel any change in the engine characteristics when I drove the 75HP Evo, it just felt better sitting inside and thats it. Regarding the negative sentiments, I too had gone through them however the same people who had these negative comments are now in full praise for the vehicles after sitting inside based on the driving experience.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ~ FIAT Punto Evo ~ A love affair ~

This is one hell of a review. Awesome details and a awesome review. Rated 5*. Your car looks smashing in red.

Punto was one of my favorite hatch, it still is one of my favorite and am sure it will remain so!

My Bhpian friend (Tbhp Handle Aritraray) owns a white Punto Emotion and he terms the cabin as cock pit!

My another friend Mr Rana Adhikary (Non Bhpian) who owns a black Punto is so obsessed with his car, he says if he sells his Punto he will go for the Avventura with out looking at any other cars.

No wonder Fiat is a heart car and owners get obsessed with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post

What happens when you overestimate the 185mm GC of your hatch

we end up with one wheel in the air!!

Immediately stopped, got out to inspect the damage. On first look I thought I've seriously damaged the underbody.

Damage. I'm not sure what else I've damaged, but I can see that I managed to scrape off the rubber coating.
Don't worry from our recent trip to North Sikkim in Sedans and Hatches we got our confidence much more enhanced ! May be this video can give you some relief! This is just one video and we crossed many more bad stretches like this still our cars where fine with out any damage.

Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 17:06   #26
BHPian

Rav11Stars,

Enjoyed reading your ownership experience.

Fiat cars aren't sold but purchased with heart, Many congrats for the Grand purchase, Wish you lots of fun and many many happy miles with your new ride and Welcome to the exclusive club!

RE: Power loss issue being in Ghats: I believe and hope its more to do with driving style and learning to downshift/change gears at right time than anything to do with engine. During climbs in a ghat, if you end up suddenly slowing down (say due to a slow moving truck), often you need to get into 1st gear and build momentum there onwards, in such situation if you try to push ahead in 2nd it won't move giving a feeling of power loss, hope that is the case here. Do try out and see if it works, otherwise, you must get it sorted immediately with service guys.
Autocop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 22:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
One word of caution though regarding the first picture, be very careful with your vehicle on grasslands specially during the winter as the dry grass can easily catch fire in contact with the exhausts.
Thanks for that. I was not aware of this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Congratulations on the car! The OEM alloy wheel design is the best on any car and I find them better looking than on the 90hp model. "Engine compression low" warning sounds like a serious issue?
yeah, In that particular instance, I turned on the engine and drove off right away; So not sure if it can be attributed to that. It didn't occur again. But I'd like to take it to the service center and have it cleared off. I'd need to go there to sort out the slight left pull anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Congratulations rav11starts on this beauty

Did you get a chance to drive the 90HP EVO? Apart from gun metal alloys and 2nd Gear tuning, is there anything else which made you chose 75HP version?
On the alignment issue, even the left caster adjustment is not up to the mark. I would suggest you get the alignment done outside and check the readings in detail before leaving.
Unfortunately I didn't get a TD of the 90hp. I'm a bit apprehensive about getting it done outside. Not aware of any good alignment expert here in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Rav11stars,

Heartiest congratulations on bringing home the Italian beauty. IMHO, I still feel the older Punto is more better looking (exterior wise) than the Evo with lesser chrome, but the Evo has a marked improved in the interiors although the plastic quality still suffers. Frankly I didn't feel any change in the engine characteristics when I drove the 75HP Evo, it just felt better sitting inside and thats it. Regarding the negative sentiments, I too had gone through them however the same people who had these negative comments are now in full praise for the vehicles after sitting inside based on the driving experience.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
I'm with you on that. The European model just had the refreshed interiors and new tail-lamp. They retained the maserati snout and it's quite a looker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This is one hell of a review. Awesome details and a awesome review. Rated 5*. Your car looks smashing in red.

Punto was one of my favorite hatch, it still is one of my favorite and am sure it will remain so! My Bhpian friend (Tbhp Handle Aritraray) owns a white Punto Emotion and he terms the cabin as cock pit! My another friend Mr Rana Adhikary (Non Bhpian) who owns a black Punto is so obsessed with his car, he says if he sells his Punto he will go for the Avventura with out looking at any other cars.

No wonder Fiat is a heart car and owners get obsessed with it. Don't worry from our recent trip to North Sikkim in Sedans and Hatches we got our confidence much more enhanced ! May be this video can give you some relief! This is just one video and we crossed many more bad stretches like this still our cars where fine with out any damage.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=DwxScRuGlVA
Did I hear two sounds there of the belly scraping against the ground? Watching the Punto with the Sumo is like a brave Yuvaraj going to war with a seasoned Senapati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Rav11Stars,

Enjoyed reading your ownership experience.

Fiat cars aren't sold but purchased with heart, Many congrats for the Grand purchase, Wish you lots of fun and many many happy miles with your new ride and Welcome to the exclusive club!

RE: Power loss issue being in Ghats: I believe and hope its more to do with driving style and learning to downshift/change gears at right time than anything to do with engine. During climbs in a ghat, if you end up suddenly slowing down (say due to a slow moving truck), often you need to get into 1st gear and build momentum there onwards, in such situation if you try to push ahead in 2nd it won't move giving a feeling of power loss, hope that is the case here. Do try out and see if it works, otherwise, you must get it sorted immediately with service guys.
Fiat cars aren't sold but purchased with heart This line sums it up. Initially I thought it's the new car craze. But off late I'm realizing that I'm getting obsessed. I'm looking for excuses to just sit in the car or just wander about it.

Regarding the sluggishness it's sort of confusing because the same ghat in Lonavala when going to Mumbai was fine, but was an issue when returning; That too it's not at the starting of the ghat. I'm almost done climbing it when it occurred. I'd say, I'll try this consciously with any ghat nearby and check. I'm anyway considering taking it to the service center.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 00:00   #28
BHPian

@rav11stars : That was a very comprehensive review . enjoyed reading it .
I am also planning to buy a hatch in this price range and the Punto Evo is into my list, couldn't do a test drive as of now as they closed the dealership near my residence (Tata and fiat had a joint showroom and since Tata ended their JV with fiat their showrooms got separated too). planning to pay a visit with Ramkay-Fiat this weekend.

Two questions based on your experience:
#1: How is the legroom for the rear passenger and how is the comfy is the seat and thigh support, is it adequate for the rear passengers?.
#2: I would do a lot of city driving with high chances of bumper to bumper traffic. will the diesel be a good choice here?.
Rev_That_V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 00:48   #29
BHPian

Rav11Stars,
Congratulations on getting the beauty. Hope you have many happy miles with your Punto.

My Punto had a similar problem with pulling to the right.
The first time i showed it, they only did some changes to the camber etc. which didn't really make a difference.
On the 2nd visit, they rotated the tyres which actually reversed the pulling direction.
The issue was finally resolved after they removed the tyres and put them back on with the tread in the opposite direction. This was again at the Pandit workshop in Pashan.
I hope this helps and your car gets all better!
Regards,
ravi
stewie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 02:35   #30
BHPian

Thank you for such a detailed and passionately written review.After reading so many reviews I have realised that Fiat and Volkswagen owners are so much in love with there cars . Also you have captured some amazing pictures , brings out the true beauty of the car. Thoroughly enjoyed , wishing you happier miles ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I don't really remember why I've put "A love affair" in the subject but it's really turning into a love affair. The car and me are going on well. But it's her parents who're not treating us well.
That's a lovely way of pointing a finger at the A.S.S , hope Fiat improves on that. Also please keep us posted on any progress on the solution to the power loss you seem to have faced while driving in the ghats. It would be great to know the real problem with the MJD.
Blue Bird is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks