Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying experience, and all that stuff

Congrats on the buy! Love PS. Had test driven Rexton, Fortuner and Pajero Sport ( they didnt have the touch screen HU an year back); loved it then for one simple reason which is a must for 20lac plus buy- ride quality.

Try typing a mail in your mobile while sitting in 2nd row in all these 3 SUV's and select the SUV that allowed you to when its driven

You can also try similar test after having a good meal and sitting in the 2nd row.

PS would have sold more if they also had an auto box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
It is a great vehicle and congrats on the purchase!

It takes a lot of guts to invest this amount into the Mitsubishi brand at this point of time. As u have rightly mentioned the service and the availability of spare parts are going to be a major issue. It is a classic case of an excellent product being let down by the brand (Fiat in India are masters at this!).

As a Fortuner owner I agree completely with all the points you have made against the Fortuner. The most important thing going for the Fortuner is Peace of Mind. You buy one and relax. There are no service issues (by and large) and regular service charges are dirt cheap. Can you imagine paid service bill of Rs. 910 for a 30L vehicle every 5k km? (without alignment and balancing). Swift diesel I used to own used to rack up a bill of 3.5k plus every 5000km.
I know someone who is looking (for land/space) for starting up Mitsu dealership which is a good sign since I thought they are not serious about India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Congratulations once again on the acquisition and wish a million happy miles of overlanding..!!

The rear wheels of the Pajero Sport have disc brakes to stop when in motion and there is a brake drum within the brake disc which houses the parking brake which is a drum brake. This make the vehicle virtually "brake fail" free since the very effective parking brake is completely independent of the main brake circuitry and can always stop the vehicle very effectively. I have tried stopping it from 80kmph and it was very easy and controlled.

The Pajero Sport has automatic climate control (automatic ac).

Storme has the same disc setup (DIH, Drum In Hat)

Last edited by jkdas : 2nd October 2014 at 21:28.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:34   #47
BANNED

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I have been trying to find out the Gear & Axle Ratio's along with the Low Range ratio in the transfer case in order to find out the Crawl Ratio.
Here are the gear ratios:

1st: 4.313
2nd: 2.330
3rd: 1.436
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.788
Rev: 4.220

Transfer Case Ratios:

4H&HLc: 1.000
4LLc: 1.900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post
I guess I want a true blue SUV this time.
To me, the FL-2, which is anyway set to be phased out by mid-next year is not as true blue and SUV as the Pajero Sport.

Quote:
Couple of things I wanna know- 1) While I don't except the music system to be great in a SUV, still how would you rate it? 2) I hope the PS comes with a bluetooth connectivity for the cellphones. Does it? How many cellphones I can connect at the same time. Seemingly very small point, but ultra critical for me - a make or break feature.
I would rate the head unit 3 out of 5 in terms of its overall experience.

It comes with BT connectivity and AFAIK, one can pair 3 cellphones together. But, I'm not very sure.

However, if this is a deal maker/breaker for you, replace the head unit with something you like (Caska, Bose whatever impresses you) since there is a standard 2DIN slot in the dashboard and component speakers and you should be all set.

Coming to the FL-2, that is a different discussion altogether.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:48   #48
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Here are the gear ratios:

1st: 4.313
2nd: 2.330
3rd: 1.436
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.788
Rev: 4.220

Transfer Case Ratios:

4H&HLc: 1.000
4LLc: 1.900
Do you know what the front/rear axle ratio is?

Note from Support: Please don't quote large posts entirely. Quote only relevant portions. Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

Did your wife drive your Pajero too?
WAG - thanks for the wishes. You've touched a bit of a raw nerve with this question. My wife drives all the cars that we have bought. She absolutely loved the Scorpio ('Lady in a Scorpio' - as she used to be known in her IT park); and you can imagine the fun she now has in the Pajero. In fact, I had to request she loan me the PS for a couple of days so I could write this review! Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Congrats on your purchase Anshuman
Thank you, Santosh. You and Sh@rpshooter were the two I consulted before the buy as well - so I guess thanks are actually due to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
Congrats on your purchase Anshuman.

That is indeed a fairly comprehensive review complimented well with pictures of your truck.
Thanks, Atul. I realize I could do a bit better with some of the pictures, but then, at least got these out.

Quote:
Oh My My!

Great Mate. Seems like this is the one I want to go for. Lot of people suggested Santafe, which indeed seems like a great car...but then I guess I want a true blue SUV this time.

Couple of things I wanna know- 1) While I don't except the music system to be great in a SUV, still how would you rate it? 2) I hope the PS comes with a bluetooth connectivity for the cellphones. Does it? How many cellphones I can connect at the same time. Seemingly very small point, but ultra critical for me - a make or break feature.

Anyhow, congrats! Enjoy the ride. And thanks again for a wonderful review.
Aroon, I did indicate the PS on your dilemma thread; and the lack of the detailed review on the PS was actually one reason why I wrote this. Devdath has already responded to your queries, I completely agree with his views regarding the system and bluetooth connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Congratulations Anshuman, welcome to the PS club.
Wish you lakhs of happy miles with it.
Thank you Doctor Saab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpalsharma View Post
Congratulations Anshuman. Good to see that the heart won. Apart from all other things, Pajero Sport surely has exclusivity and a great road presence. You'll get lots of eyes on you driving the mighty Pajero through the city. Keep sharing your logs from time to time.
Satpal, thank you. I would have contributed to least 10% of all the views on your PS thread here at TBHP while researching and thinking. Thanks for the welcome and wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
Congratulations anshuman for your new beast.
Not a huge fan of SUVs but this one makes me rethink about it.
Pajero is definitely a better overall package than Fortuner or Endeavour IMHO.
Thanks, Dr Kushagra. Incidentally, I got a call from another Dr - Dr Prabhakar if I remember right, today - he wanted to know some details as he was contemplating the PS seriously having read this review. Looks like the PS is touching the heart of many doctors as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. I am still undecided about the looks of the Pajero sport. The old one had such a legendary look.

What is the ex-showroom price of the car and how much discount did you get on it? Infact since this is the only comprehensive review of the Pajero Sport, I would suggest you also include the ex-showroom prices in your first post just for the completion sake of the review.

Second, is the AC manual or automatic? From the looks of it, appears to be a manual unit.
Hi Mohit, you are right - the old Pajero had a distinctive look. They have given the new one a sleeker, more aerodynamic look. I would say it works well - more a matter of getting used to it. The front looks more aggressive and butch now, IMHO. I have quoted the ex showroom prices earlier in this thread - please PM me in you need more details. The AC has an Auto Climate Control mode, and chills the car in no time.. I prefer slightly gentler cooling, dont want myself to be subjected to extreme temperatures so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats on the buy! Love PS. Had test driven Rexton, Fortuner and Pajero Sport ( they didnt have the touch screen HU an year back); loved it then for one simple reason which is a must for 20lac plus buy- ride quality.

Try typing a mail in your mobile while sitting in 2nd row in all these 3 SUV's and select the SUV that allowed you to when its driven

You can also try similar test after having a good meal and sitting in the 2nd row.

PS would have sold more if they also had an auto box.

I know someone who is looking (for land/space) for starting up Mitsu dealership which is a good sign since I thought they are not serious about India.

Storme has the same disc setup (DIH, Drum In Hat)
jkdas - Sir, thank you. My reasons were very similar. An SUV is meant for my family too; and the second row comfort was the killer factor for me. And there are so many things that go right with the PS. I know it will never sell the numbers of its more popular cousins - but so long as it sells, it will help with the after sales service; and I am happy with the exclusivity and the overall drive/comfort!

The autobox PS is supposed to be coming in the next couple of months anyways, albeit slightly less power and in 4x2 mode.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and wishes. Its fun seeing that the heart has called out correctly.

I have taken note of photos for the engine bay and the third seat - will get them done this weekend.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post
A very good review must say, but hope u wouldn't mind me pointing out that even though the Pajero Sport (called Mitsubishi Nativa elsewhere) is a derivative of the 2nd gen Pajero (Pajero SFX), it really cant be called an evolution of the Pajero (as I could make out from your review. No?!).

Pajero has evolved into the Montero, which is in a different league altogether and it's fanboys call it "Landcruiser repair kit"

Please feel free to correct/enlighten me.
Youre absolutely right on all counts, Wheeledsoul. Just in case you did not know - there is only one vehicle that Mitsubishi sells in India now - the Pajero Sport. There is nothing else - no Lancer, no Montero, nada. And in the Pajero Sport, there was only one variant so far - the Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition (they have added a PS 'Limited Edition' with some additional accessories like DVD screen for second row, chiller, in last couple of weeks). Hence, when I made the comparative statements between the Sport and SFX - it was from the intention of comparing the vehicles being retailed as Pajero at these different times. I wasnt' necessarily being very technically correct, thanks for pointing out!

Last edited by anshuman_v : 2nd October 2014 at 23:57.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:48   #51
BHPian

Congratulations Anshuman! Excellent review!

Though I have seen many shades of the Pajero Sport save for white and black I think this one looks really awesome in black. Hope it isn't much of a pain to maintain.

It's unfortunate that given the heritage and brand value associated with "Pajero" it has failed to capture the imagination of the SUV buying folks. Most people just blindly go in for the Fortuner without giving this one a fair chance especially when this a pretty compelling package and to me looks way better than the Fortuner.

It's about time that Mitsubishi bring the 4x4 automatic variant to the market lest the Fortuner beat it to this as well.

Enjoy drive safe and congrats once again!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:04   #52
BHPian

Anshuman, it always feels wonderful to see my favorite manufacturer's product being written about. I had commented on Imran Ahmad Ali's post early June this year around how the Pajero Sport felt after a test drive. If I may be allowed to reiterate a line from my comment - "Overall, driving the Pajero Sport put a smile on my face and I walked away thinking this is one vehicle that is extremely well put together, built well and the engine has loads of "character"!".
I must add that with timely maintenance and original spares (preferably MMC and not those manufactured by HM), Mitsubishi vehicles will outlast most competition while being fun to drive all the time!
Many congratulations and I wish you many years of exhilarating motoring with your Mitsubishi!
Prozac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 10:16   #53
BHPian

The fuel economy update

Here is the update from my first tank refill:

Kms on the odo: 505 kms
Fuel refilled: 51 liters
Economy: 9.9 kmpl

This average is for purely city driving - mainly office commute and visiting pandals in Durga Puja, with a/c on about 75% of the time.

The full tank is 70 liters, however, I am planning for a trip tomorrow so had this refilled today itself.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:02   #54
BHPian

More pics: Engine Bay

I got the requests of pics for the Engine Bay and Third row seats. Am adding a couple of bonus pics as well!

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-rsz_1rsz_img_20141004_084730.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_084755_opt-2.jpg

Brake fluid reservoir and the feeding lines:

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_084841_opt.jpg

The power steering and coolant reservoirs.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085055_opt.jpg

The windshield wiper fluid tank is located deep down, the only thing visible on top is the nozzle to fill. There is an interesting long white plastic indicator which one can pull out to check the level of the fluid. I have pulled it out to show this in the pic below.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_084931_opt-1.jpg
anshuman_v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 11:13   #55
BHPian

More pics: Third row seats and others

The third row of seats is best suited for two adult sized people. Three kids can be comfortable, and depending on the size, you could squeeze in a fourth kid as well (hey this is India, our Maruti 800 can take upto 8 people!)

The third row sits lower on the floor, so the knees will be bent up while being seated. That said, the leg room is aplenty. The picture below shows the leg room while the second row seats have been pushed back.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085210_opt.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, one of the most comfortable seating positions is in the third row, when the middle row seat is folded up. You literally get miles of leg room to stretch your legs. (You can see the 3M floor mat doing its duty in the pics)

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085438_opt.jpgMy Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085718_opt-1.jpg

Moving on to the boot area of the vehicle, pics showing the neatly packed jack and tool kits.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085822_opt.jpgMy Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085833_opt.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085912_opt.jpgMy Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_085921_opt.jpg

Nifty notes in the driver door and on the B pillar, for different 4 wheel drives and recommended tire pressure.

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-img_20141004_090101_opt.jpg
My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review-tyre-pressure_opt.jpg
anshuman_v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 12:54   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Do you know what the front/rear axle ratio is?
It is 3.917.
Does this solve your technical queries?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 19:27   #57
BHPian

Hey Anshuman, Congrats on the new acquisition. is there a full tool kit, apart from the one shown & work light in the rear door area as in the old SFX?
Old 4th October 2014, 20:53   #58
BHPian

Finally, I get to see a clear and proper pic of the third row in a Mitsu PS, Although I would have loved to see a pic in which a fully grown adult is sitting.

Nice review and congratulations mate, have loads of joyful miles on the beast.

Do take her off-road and try some adventures
Old 5th October 2014, 11:11   #59
BHPian

Hearty Congrats ! it looks so spacious after the third row for luggage.
romyeo4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 19:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

Congratulations on your purchase - a very wise decision indeed. In my humble opinion, this is the BEST SUV you can get in this price range. This is THE vehicle I have in mind as the successor to my current ride (Tata safari 4x4).

Wishing you many happy miles on your PS!

Cheers...
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed